New To Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Celeste

May 20, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hello, everyone!

I’m a 21-year-old female from Nova Scotia, Canada. I’m uncomfortable using my real name online, so within this forum I will be calling myself Celeste.

I have come to this forum in complete ignorance of the Christian faith. Although raised by Roman Catholic parents, my family was not close to the church and my knowledge about the teachings of the bible is somewhat lacking. I have always felt a bit of a pull towards Christianity, but I’m unsure how to begin my study – I have attempted to read the bible on my own several times but have never made it very far before giving up in confusion and frustration. I have a great desire to learn everything this religion has to teach. I feel that this forum may be helpful in guiding me into religion, and hope that I may contribute as much as I stand to gain!

Before I establish myself as a part of this online community, there are a few issues I would like to lay out on the table. First and foremost, I am a lesbian. I have been in my first (and only) relationship with a woman for just under a year now and I have no intention of leaving her in the future. I also do not abstain from pre-marital sexual activity. I will not spend too much time defending my relationship in this post, because this is not meant to instigate an argument or debate. It is, however, an aspect of my life that I feel prevents me from being accepted into any Christian community. I would genuinely like to know your opinions – is it possible to embrace God and the teachings of Christ whilst maintaining a homosexual relationship?

I do not believe that my homosexuality is completely incompatible with living a Christian life. I believe myself to be a “good” person through the eyes of a Christian – I do my best to show love, tolerance and understanding to all persons I encounter and in every situation. Despite my lack of knowledge on the subject, I do believe in God, in Jesus Christ our Lord and in the Holy Spirit. I wish to be a practicing Christian and am willing to spend large amounts of time developing my faith. However, I am aware that others of the Christian faith do not generally tolerate my beliefs and practices.

This is the question that I wish to leave you with: is it possible for me to be a part of the Christian faith? I want to know if there is a way to be accepted into the Christian community and maintain a relationship with God whilst embracing my homosexuality and other “non-Christian” beliefs.

I thank anyone who takes the time to share his or her opinion, or is willing toe ngage in thoughtful discussion on the subject.

In love,

Celeste

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Celeste: Greetings and thank you for coming!!!! Glory to God!!! I think the best thing is just to be open and honest.

I know you stated your situation and you did state that you are aware that others may not agree with your life style. That is wisdom in itself, and thank you for making that clear.

Now let me address your question.

This is the question that I wish to leave you with: is it possible for me to be a part of the Christian faith? I want to know if there is a way to be accepted into the Christian community and maintain a relationship with God whilst embracing my homosexuality and other “non-Christian” beliefs.

If your really serious about being a Christian, as some around here are, We don't care about Christian beliefs. We care about What God said in his Word. Why? because we love the Lord Jesus, We love God. Now if your serious as we are, then you would also care about What God did say.

It's hard to say I am a Christian, and love God, when someone does not really care what God thinks about things. It just does not mix.

Jesus said if you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Now I am not saying anything about your lifestyle or what you allow. That does not concern me. What would concern me is someone that will violate the light in the Word they do have. That would concern me.

It's one thing to say Jesus is Lord, but if you keep robbing banks, then doing what you want comes first and not the Lord Jesus. That means Jesus is not really Lord to you.

I would suggest not bringing up your lifestyle, but just partake in all the other bible discussions. Ignore the ones that want to condemn you, the bible says they do the same type of things who judge.

Thank you for being open and honest Celeste, I would not try to defend your position if someone challenges you, just Ignore them, or tell them how your feeling inside. To some, defending your lifestyle would be like defending stealing. It just won't work. Use Wisdom.

God bless!!!!

Jesus Is Lord.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Tis wise to count the cost in the beginning, but I implore you to seek Christ rather than a religion. The Christian religion dictates a walk like Christ but I suggest simply walk with Christ your hand in His.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Hello wecome to the site. First of all let me comment by saying in these quotes of the bible that i intend to quote its soley based on what gods word is concerning the teaching of homosexuality, its no way meant as a personal attack on your character just examining the doctrine

1st Corinthians 6:9

1st Corinthians 6:10

1st Corinthians 6:11

1st Timothy 1:8

1st Timothy 1:9

1st Timothy 1:10

Romans 1:26

Romans 1:27

That being said i know you must come under alot of persecution for your decision but the truth of the matter is that you can be wahsed in the blood of the lamb and made whole by christ if you desire. If you so choose the next and final step is to repent and sin no more. The choice is yours but you have my prayers in the matter.

Rudi

May 1, 2010
Limpopo SA
Hi Celeste.

None of us are perfect and in many ways we have joined this site with dark secrets about our lives, having done things that we are ashamed to speak about publicly. We have in past experienced an emptiness in our souls as we wondered in the shadows, hearing but never seeing, smelling but never tasting. But ... one thing is clear ... our hearts came ALIVE when we heard of Jesus that He is the Saviour of our souls, the only way to God. We have a hunger to know Him and to know our Heavenly Father, to experience Him in a personal way. Ultimately it is the relationship with Him that counts to the point where nothing else matters.

You will be blessed on this site. Allow the sharing of God's Word to cleanse you and direct you into a new way of living, caring, loving.

Welcome, and be enriched as you open your heart to the guidance of His Holy Spirit.
smile.gif

Celeste

May 20, 2010
Nova Scotia
[font="'Book Antiqua"]Thanks all, for the welcoming words [/font][font="'Book Antiqua"]:)[/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]
[/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]
I would suggest not bringing up your lifestyle, but just partake in all the other bible discussions. Ignore the ones that want to condemn you, the bible says they do the same type of things who judge.

Thank you for being open and honest Celeste, I would not try to defend your position if someone challenges you, just Ignore them, or tell them how your feeling inside. To some, defending your lifestyle would be like defending stealing. It just won't work. Use Wisdom.

Just a note: I certainly don't intend to bring up homosexuality at every turn, if I bring it up at all. This initial mention was just to get a feel about how welcome I may be in the forum. I am here to listen with an open heart and an open mind, not to push my beliefs on others who do not share my views. Your comparison of defending my sexuality to defending stealing rubs me the wrong way (just a tiny bit) -- I prefer to liken homosexuality to sins that do not harm others, as stealing does. I will not deny that it is a sin in the eyes of the Lord, though.

[/font][font="'Book Antiqua"]
Hello wecome to the site. First of all let me comment by saying in these quotes of the bible that i intend to quote its soley based on what gods word is concerning the teaching of homosexuality, its no way meant as a personal attack on your character just examining the doctrine.

[/font]
[font="'Book Antiqua"]Another note -- in discussions on homosexuality, please do not be afraid of offending me! I am fully aware that Christianity does not approve of homosexuality, and part of the reason I am hear is to learn why. I will take all opinions on the matter as a criticism of homosexuality in and of itself; I will certainly not take gentle direction towards bible passages as a personal attack! Thank you for your guidance in this matter, gumby. [/font]

[font="'Book Antiqua"]
[/font]

[font="'Book Antiqua"]
[/font]

[font="'Book Antiqua"] [/font][font="'Book Antiqua"]I am happy to see that I will be able to explore this great book in comfort. I was concerned that in my search for Christ I would be pressured to immediately change my life. Right now, I do not believe that I will ever stop having homosexual relationships. I am, however, interested in pursuing a relationship with Christ and I am open to any changes that may bring in time. [/font][font="'Book Antiqua"]Thank you all for making me feel welcome here [/font][font="'Book Antiqua"]:)[/font]

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
We look forward to having you!!!!!

As for my stealing comparrison, Please do understand the Word of God does talk about your situation, and calls it sin.

Now we don't have to keep going there, and I am sure only those that have read this will even know. So feel free to jump in and share scriptures!!!! :) :)

Jesus Is Lord

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Hi Celeste,

I just wanted to let you know that I was moved by your honesty and I think its great that you are keen to learn about christianity.

You may not realise this, but many early christians whom Jesus taught were also homosexuals and he did not deny them the opportunity to learn about him and to offer them the same hope of salvation as anyone else. He taught people of all sorts including prostitutes, murderers & thieves. We are all sinners and God invites us all to learn about him so you are taking the first step in getting to know God which is all he expects of you at this stage.

So I hope you stay around and learn lots from the experience of those here who know the scriptures. :)