NKJV, KJV, or ESV?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
In my previous post I asked about Study Bibles. I'm thinking I might should have asked about which translation to go with and then look at which Study Bibles or Bibles are available in that translation.

I currently have a Nelson New American Standard Bible, Tyndale New Living Translation Application Study Bible, and Holman Christian Standard Bible.

At my church we typically use the KJV and CSB (more often the CSB for ease of reading) in Sunday School and our Pastor uses the KJV in Preaching.

I'm looking to get a new Bible for Christmas and am looking at either the ESV, KJV, or NKJV; none of which I have a quality Bible.

So, in your opinion, which translation (of the three) do you feel I should purchase?

Thank you for your help and advice.

TripleB

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
I'm looking to get a new Bible for Christmas and am looking at either the ESV, KJV, or NKJV; none of which I have a quality Bible.

Hey Triple B!

Good question - I suggest the KJV as it is the closest you are gonna get to the original.
You may also want to consider the American Standard Version - Gideons Bibles use this translation and you can pick one up at at thrift store for free!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi TribleB and God's blessings to your Family!

This sounds simple but it's very significant. You will not believe your eyes and you can judge it for yourself and get back to me. There's four verses I want you to check when evaluating a translation:

1. 2 Samual 21:19; it's suppose to read that "Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath", not Elhanan killed Goliath, whcih is an errant rendering because David killed Goliath. This conflicts with 1 Chron 20:5, which all have the correct rendering.

2. Philippians 2:6 is suppose to render the conclusion that Jesus did not reckon or consider it robbery to be equal with God (Father). The errant rendering reads the He did not consider equality with God to be something to be grasped; which is a 180 degree rendering from the traditional, displaying the opposite.

3. Many detract from the importance of this third one but it is no less significant, regardless the explanations: There are two companion verses in 1 John 5:7, 8 which give a duel testimony of three witness in heaven and three on earth. The problem here is that v 7 is omitted, which detracts from the deity of the Spirit's omnipresence of Him being in heaven and on earth simultaneously.

4. John 3:13; This one detracts from Christ's deity of His omnipresence by omitting part of the verse. It should read "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but He that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven." The errant rendering omits "which is in heaven".

There's multiple hundreds of these types of problems with most of the modern translations, which will soon be coming to light!

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
Hi TribleB and God's blessings to your Family!

There's multiple hundreds of these types of problems with most of the modern translations, which will soon be coming to light!

Thank you...we've needed it this week. My wife was called back to the doctor for more tests/x-rays...luckily everything turned out to be OK and I'm having surgery next Monday to help start the process of creating new cartilage in my knee.

Anyway, so with all the problems evident in newer translations, which one of the newer translations do you feel contains the least amount of errors?

Thanks for all the help.

TripleB

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's blessings as much as He will allow with your medical need! Amen!

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
As I go on the internet and look at various sites comparing the KJV to the NKJV, it seems like many of them are saying that the NKJV has changed many of the words and meanings of the KJV which would lead me to believe the NKJV isn't nearly as accurate as the KJV (or maybe even the ESV for that matter).

Is this the case?

Thank you for your help.

TripleB

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
In my previous post I asked about Study Bibles. I'm thinking I might should have asked about which translation to go with and then look at which Study Bibles or Bibles are available in that translation.

I currently have a Nelson New American Standard Bible, Tyndale New Living Translation Application Study Bible, and Holman Christian Standard Bible.

At my church we typically use the KJV and CSB (more often the CSB for ease of reading) in Sunday School and our Pastor uses the KJV in Preaching.

So, in your opinion, which translation (of the three) do you feel I should purchase?

Thank you for your help and advice.

TripleB

It would be best to start with the Young's literal translation if you are searching for the truth. if you are not searching for the truth there are many translations to choose from that will confuse you along with all the others. If you are lucky or rather favored by god then perhaps you will find enough truth in any of them to lead you to "The living God" who has been right here with us all the time. Then you can ask him all you need to know.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Adding input, but I would go with the KJV for reasons listed above, and actually far more.

I think the removing of 1 John 5:7 should be pretty significant to a lot of Christians (they do that in the newer Bibles), but some seem to think you won't make a doctrinal error. However, I think looking at the theology I am adhering to, and what others are adhering too actually begs to differ on their statements. Their beliefs testify against themselves. But, I don't want to make this an arguement, I just want to support KJV, and leave up a few facts. :)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have all the major translations from the KJV right through to the Message and the Good News Bible. For the simple reading of scripture I like the ESV and my favourite is the NKJV as it has a beauty all of its own.

People claim that this version or that version is the nearest to the correct translation. If you want a correct translation there is only one way to get it. Learn the Greek Language and use a Greek language bible. I have one on my shelf and find it very useful, as in there are eight different meanings to the English word "world." In the English translations there is only one word and that is world, so whatever version you read, you don't get the variations that are there.

The other aspect is that the scripture says that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth. Whatever version you use, if you don't rely on the truth being revealed by the Holy Spirit the chances are nine times out of ten you will get the wrong interpretation so allowing him to lead and guide you is probably more important than the version you use.

Reactions: Streetsweeper

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
So, which translation (not necessarily just the ones listed) would you say offers the best combination of truth (to the original), readability, and understandability?

Thanks again for your patience and your help.

TripleB

beden

Nov 14, 2012
TripleB
I normally use the NKJV and attend a church that is KJV only. In Sunday school or church whenever the pastor or teacher stops to put into simpler words a passage from the KJV that is difficult to understand in our English, it is almost identical to what my NKJV reads.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So, which translation (not necessarily just the ones listed) would you say offers the best combination of truth (to the original), readability, and understandability?

Thanks again for your patience and your help.

TripleB

I am speaking as one who has been reading the bible for 58 years, so it is probably easier to understand specific translations than say a young believer who is coming to terms with the language of the bible.

If I was asked to recommend specific translations, my first choice would be the NKJV because it is a modern translation of the original English, which makes it much more readable than the original translation. It certainly has a lovely flow to it and the English is very understandable.

Following that I would say the ESV as it reads like a normal book so one is not constantly scratching your brain for meanings but it still remains reasonably faithful to the text.

I think bibles are a bit like cars. You pick the one that you like and suit your purposes. If you only drive around town you don't really need a four wheel drive. If you are not doing serious study of the scriptures you don't need an analytical or study bible.