No scripture in the OP? - Oh my!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
A comment was made this morning in one of my threads which made an issue out of the fact - yes, it is a fact - that the first post of that thread contained no scripture. That set me to thinking about how discussion unfolds in our daily lives. (My thanks to that member.)

How many of your discussions outside of social media - what some people might call “real life” - begin with the quotation of a passage of scripture? If you had to assign a percentage figure to it, what would the percentage be? For me - 0%.

Here we are, on an internet discussion forum, and you’ve clicked on a thread that starts with no scripture.

How does that make you feel?

Are you angry? Are you sad? Are you happy? Are you glad? Maybe you’re indifferent about it. Maybe you’re waiting to see if scripture will later be brought up in the thread. Maybe you’ll celebrate. Maybe you’ll introduce a passage or two into the conversation.

Discussion. Must it start with a quotation of, or even an allusion to, scripture?

I don’t think so. Some of my threads do. Many of my threads don’t.

Why start a conversation on social media different from the way you start a conversation with a spouse, a child, a co-worker, a casual acquaintance?

P.S.

Just a note to clarify that I’m not arguing against OP’s including quotations of scripture.

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Picture this. A quiet rural setting. Two friends are sitting in the rocking chairs on the front porch, enjoying a pitcher of lemonade on a hot summer day. One would like to discuss something with the other - Noah’s ark.

The conversation begins - with the quotation of scripture or without the quotation of scripture?

With the quotation of scripture? That seems odd to me.

Without the quotation of scripture? That seems natural to me.

Scripture might or might not be quoted as the conversation unfolds. Is there anything wrong with that?

Cool off. Sit a spell. Have a sip of some lemonade while you think it.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm trying to remember what Christian Social Media site I was on. I think it was Living in Black and White. I noticed people debating or discussing things. They all were quoting and arguing with each other. I thought to myself "I just want friends". I met an older woman. As in she was older then me. I'm pretty sure she was married too. We talked briefly. She decided to create a social media site called the friendship society. The idea was for it be a place for casual friendships. It was mainly female dominated. It didn't last for very long, and she had to back out and get another guy to add to it his social media forum. So it became a sub community on this larger community. Then I started having some troubles with him. For some reason he didn't like the fact that I would sometimes upload some pictures and then take them down. He didn't like how I posted lyrics to some songs, and then later I would take them down. So He told me that He was thinking about banning me. He also had some kind of issue with what He called "Bible Thumpers".

Personally I like it when people just PM me and want to talk about general things. But I also love talking about God and the things of God. I love it when things come out naturally. On here I only have that kind of relationship with just one person.

A number of people here stay out of doctrinal discussions and for good reason.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No scripture in the OP? 90% of the posters here don't believe the scriptures so what's the point?
That's not fair. You mean 90% (I think that's a bit much) disagree with your understanding of the Scriptures. This is the purpose of debate, to discuss things, and ofttimes no one agrees. But don't forget, there is a viewing audience who reads the threads here, that you may be helping. It is its own ministry.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not fair. You mean 90% (I think that's a bit much) disagree with your understanding of the Scriptures. This is the purpose of debate, to discuss things, and ofttimes no one agrees. But don't forget, there is a viewing audience who reads the threads here, that you may be helping. It is its own ministry.

I post scriptures all the time and they are ignored.