Not tech, but I have a refrigerator question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My GE fridge is only six years old. Several days ago it made a louder noise briefly about four times over two days. Then it went back to it's quieter hum and sounds.

About 90 minutes ago it started to make a somewhat louder sound and has continued to make this sound since then.

Just wondering...is it ok to get a GE repair man to see if anything is wrong? Or is it better to just buy a new refrigerator?

Has anyone had success with repair men? I'm inclined to just buy a new fridge if this one is breaking.

Reactions: Nancy

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My GE fridge is only six years old. Several days ago it made a louder noise briefly about four times over two days. Then it went back to it's quieter hum and sounds.

About 90 minutes ago it started to make a somewhat louder sound and has continued to make this sound since then.

Just wondering...is it ok to get a GE repair man to see if anything is wrong? Or is it better to just buy a new refrigerator?

Has anyone had success with repair men? I'm inclined to just buy a new fridge if this one is breaking.
Is it still under warranty?

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We've used fridge repairmen a few times. Sometimes it's just a small cheap part that's making it act weird. Maybe you can get an idea of what may be wrong from YouTube videos on refridgerator problems.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've used fridge repairmen a few times. Sometimes it's just a small cheap part that's making it act weird. Maybe you can get an idea of what may be wrong from YouTube videos on refridgerator problems.

Much love!
Just ordered a new fridge today, got a GE on sale for $598....28 inch. Taxes and haul away was extra.

Even though it's humming ok now, it still kept making the louder sound sometimes. Even my deaf mother heard it this afternoon!!! And she can barely hear with her hearing aids!

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just ordered a new fridge today, got a GE on sale for $598....28 inch. Taxes and haul away was extra.

Even though it's humming ok now, it still kept making the louder sound sometimes. Even my deaf mother heard it this afternoon!!! And she can barely hear with her hearing aids!
New is nice!

We bought our fridge we have now after we had the repairman come and give us an estimate for over $800. And we only had to pay $85 for the priveledge.

Much love!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New is nice!

We bought our fridge we have now after we had the repairman come and give us an estimate for over $800. And we only had to pay $85 for the priveledge.

Much love!
Yes, that's what I thought might happen. Especially after someone else told me these days refrigerators are considered old after a year.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It seems that any and all big items I have purchased since 2020 is ka-ka. I ended up tossing one I had less than a year. I did get the "warrantee", but it only covered the part and install...Had them out twice, did the same thing-replaced the defective part.

If you can have someone come to look at it first, that would be the best thing, IMO.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that any and all big items I have purchased since 2020 is ka-ka. I ended up tossing one I had less than a year. I did get the "warrantee", but it only covered the part and install...Had them out twice, did the same thing-replaced the defective part.

If you can have someone come to look at it first, that would be the best thing, IMO.
Already bought one, a GE. $598 plus tax and haul away....so not too bad. It's coming on Saturday.

Reactions: Nancy

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your fridge is making aloud, weird noise, check the freezer section. It may need to be defrosted. (I use a hair dryer, but need to be careful not to overdo it.) There's a fan in the freezer that will start making noise if it ices up in that part because the vents are clogged up with ice.

Reactions: Debp and Nancy

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your fridge is making aloud, weird noise, check the freezer section. It may need to be defrosted. (I use a hair dryer, but need to be careful not to overdo it.) There's a fan in the freezer that will start making noise if it ices up in that part because the vents are clogged up with ice.
Thanks. I did get one, arrived yesterday. So far so good.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it isn't.

Talked with someone else and decided it's probably best to buy a new one if necessary.

After the louder sound for several hours, it is currently humming and not too loud. It's still keeping things cold.
A friend donated their old fridge to an appliance repair shop that fixes them and then donates them to the poor.

Did you check out the DIY link in my other post? Maybe you can achieve an easy fix?

My fridge is a senior fridge'n . Nor kidding.

It's quiet however, it drops water inside the fridge area. The source is the full dimension of the freezer part above.

I'd love to know why. :(

Last edited:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend donated their old fridge to an appliance repair shop that fixes them and then donates them to the poor.

Did you check out the DIY link in my other post? Maybe you can achieve an easy fix?

My fridge is a senior fridge'n . Nor kidding.

It's quiet however, it drops water inside the fridge area. The source is the full dimension of the freezer part above.

I'd love to know why. :(
Yes, I did check out the video.

But thought it best to buy a new one which arrived this past Saturday. It's working good.

Reactions: ButterflyJones

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off subject, I have two refrigerators in my garage. both are over 40 years old and still are running fine. I too just bought a new Samsung. I'll see how long it lasts compared to the ones in my garage.