NOTHING Overrules the New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are some obsessed with preaching the Law of Moses?

Some believe the New Covenant is merely an extension of the Old Covenant, and that the Ten Commandments are the laws written on our hearts, when in reality what is written on our hearts is to Love God with all your heart, mind and body, and love your neighbor as yourself. That was quoted in the Old Testament, but the actual Ten Commandments didn't come close to fulfilling them. Only The Spirit can fulfill the actual requirements of the eternal law of Love.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some believe the New Covenant is merely an extension of the Old Covenant, and that the Ten Commandments are the laws written on our hearts, when in reality what is written on our hearts is to Love God with all your heart, mind and body, and love your neighbor as yourself. That was quoted in the Old Testament, but the actual Ten Commandments didn't come close to fulfilling them. Only The Spirit can fulfill the actual requirements of the eternal law of Love.
Amen! The Law was ruthless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! The Law was ruthless!

It actually doesn't bother me that some add Jesus to the Ten Commandments and keep the Sabbath. At least they are not lawless like some denominations that believe grace covers the sins they keep committing. Now THAT is a doctrine of demons, but keeping the Sabbath is okay as long as they fully believe that, and DO what they believe.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It actually doesn't bother me that some add Jesus to the Ten Commandments and keep the Sabbath. At least they are not lawless like some denominations that believe grace covers the sins they keep committing. Now THAT is a doctrine of demons, but keeping the Sabbath is okay as long as they fully believe that, and DO what they believe.
I don't know anyone who obeys all the Sabbath commands.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Just a side note. I think some believe that the New Covenant is an extension of the Old COvenant, but the Old Covenant being the covenant with Abraham. The Mosaic Covenant was an extension of the Abrahamic. The Mosaic Covenant was abolished and replaced by the New Covenant.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also agree that the New Covenant doesn't mean that we toss the Old Testament out the window. It's teachings are still valid and important. Even if the New Testament "rules" are different in some ways (like not requiring male circumsism), we do still love our neighbors, be honest, don't covet, etc.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why are some obsessed with preaching the Law of Moses?
Because there is a great deal of misunderstanding about BOTH covenants, and there is also a very poor understanding of the finished work of Christ and how it relates to the New Covenant.

There are many components to the Law of Moses, and one of the key components is the Ten Commandments. Many Christians believe that because Christ fulfilled the Law, those Ten Commandments are no longer valid. That is because they have failed to understand that the Ten Commandments are immutable and eternal, and while they were written on tablets of stone on Mount Sinai, they are now written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit when a person is born again. They are the foundation of the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love, as well as the Law of Liberty, hence called "the Royal Law".

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also agree that the New Covenant doesn't mean that we toss the Old Testament out the window. It's teachings are still valid and important. Even if the New Testament "rules" are different in some ways (like not requiring male circumsism), we do still love our neighbors, be honest, don't covet, etc.

The OT was our schoolmaster, so when I have a question regarding "remarriage after divorce" I turn to the OT and to what Jesus said in Matthew 19, and synoptic verses in Luke and Mark, and Paul's 1 Corinthians 7. That is why even though my Christian husband fell in love with the wife of his best friend while preaching Jesus to her, and the two of them caused two divorces, neither of them had cause to divorce me or her husband, so in God's eyes, I'm still married, the divorce is invalid, and after 19 years, he is still the last man I kissed. It is also the reason why his adultery is perpetual - he's never repented. But I'm not one who looks for loophole to sin. There is more in the OT than just outward sacrifices, circumcision, holy convocation days, and what we eat. Everything outside ourselves is OT works. But there are other types of laws regarding not marrying close family members, and other marriage and sexual laws that are still valid.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because there is a great deal of misunderstanding about BOTH covenants, and there is also a very poor understanding of the finished work of Christ and how it relates to the New Covenant.

There are many components to the Law of Moses, and one of the key components is the Ten Commandments. Many Christians believe that because Christ fulfilled the Law, those Ten Commandments are no longer valid. That is because they have failed to understand that the Ten Commandments are immutable and eternal, and while they were written on tablets of stone on Mount Sinai, they are now written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit when a person is born again. They are the foundation of the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love, as well as the Law of Liberty, hence called "the Royal Law".
All of the Ten are in the NT except the Sabbath COMMANDS! Thank God! I don't want to execute anyone for working weekends.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All of the Ten are in the NT except the Sabbath COMMANDS! Thank God! I don't want to execute anyone for working weekends.
The principles of the Sabbath were transferred to the Lord's Day, which is the eighth day (or the first day of the week).