Nuclear power yay or nay?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nuclear power yay or nay?

• Yay

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The hype about nuclear power is rising at the moment, some see it as a clean energy, they reckon in can reduce global warming and doesn't produce greenhouse gases, but I am sceptical about the "clean energy" part, as we don't have to look that far back to the last nuclear disaster and effects of nuclear testing, that still lasts in places like Bikini Atoll long after the nuclear tests had finished.

Reactions: dev553344

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nuclear reactor catastrophes are few and far between. Not using it because of that would be like not driving a car because you might have an accident.
Those nuclear tests were nuclear bombs and have nothing to do with nuclear energy from reactors.
Probably the best argument against nuclear energy is the storing of the depleted uranium once its done.
It has to be sealed off forever or else...

I just heard today that the Aussie navy has finally dumped the submarine deal they had with France and are obtaining nuclear powered sea vessels... I think thats what i heard. A piece of uranium the size of your fist can power the biggest ships for over 20 years

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just heard today that the Aussie navy has finally dumped the submarine deal they had with France and are obtaining nuclear powered sea vessels... I think thats what i heard. A piece of uranium the size of your fist can power the biggest ships for over 20 years

Wow that's crazy.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Wow that's crazy.

In Tassie they already have clean energy... Hydro
But it not the clean energy they are invested in so their replacing it with wind and solar... Dirty... It's all dirty

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it not the clean energy they are invested in so their replacing it with wind and solar... Dirty... It's all dirty
Well men walking without God are dirty, so what should we expect?

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember..
'Three Miles Island Incident' in US..1979.
- Partial meltdown of reactor.. nuclear generating station.
----
Australia has the world's largest resources of low-cost uranium..the feedstock of
nuclear power.
---
Maybe ..more demand than supply (uranium) in the world.
- In the years ahead..

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I heard that the locals in North West Tassie aren't happy about a proposed Wind farm near the Stanley Nut.

I am a fan of Solar though.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thorium.
Thorium-based reactors are safer because the reaction can easily be stopped and because the operation does not have to take place under extreme pressures. Compared to uranium reactors, thorium reactors produce far less waste and the waste that is generated is much less radioactive and much shorter-lived.Feb 16, 2012

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I heard that the locals in North West Tassie aren't happy about a proposed Wind farm near the Stanley Nut.

You know the nut? Imagine they put those things up there... It would ruin the vista

I don't mind solar, there is potential in it as the tech is getting better but wind isn't very good and their ugly...
There is already a wind farm about an hour inland from Stanley... It's such an ugly thing to see out in the open plains...
Plus they kill birds so im anti-wind power

But its all a huge waste of money as far as locals are concerned... The island is blessed with so much water and they have dams and hydro plants everywhere, feeding the whole island... Clean... Renewable...

Reactions: Brakelite and Josho

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Have u been to the nut in Stanley?
I've only been out there once.
I'm about 45 mins east of there.
Might go for a drive that way today actually.:)
I'll post some pics later on

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have u been to the nut in Stanley?
I've only been out there once.
I'm about 45 mins east of there.
Might go for a drive that way today actually.:)
I'll post some pics later on

Nah I haven't, but we stayed in Wynyard before we headed to Strahan, i think you must be near Wynyard if you said 45 minutes east haha.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The hype about nuclear power is rising at the moment, some see it as a clean energy, they reckon in can reduce global warming and doesn't produce greenhouse gases, but I am sceptical about the "clean energy" part, as we don't have to look that far back to the last nuclear disaster and effects of nuclear testing, that still lasts in places like Bikini Atoll long after the nuclear tests had finished.
Nuclear power is irresponsible, we have hydroelectric and some nuclear plants here in the USA, but streams and rivers used for cooling are often contaminated not to mention the surrounding areas. Do a google search (nuclear plant river contamination - Google Search).

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Josho Also, there is an effective energy solution they won't use. Sandwiching layers of impregnated radioactive hydrogen polymers with solar cells act as powerful energy generators. They could be used for cars, aircraft and businesses and homes, etc. When I was in the military we used radioactive hydrogen compasses that glowed from the UV radiation against phosphorous. It works.

Reactions: Brakelite

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nuclear power is irresponsible, we have hydroelectric and some nuclear plants here in the USA, but streams and rivers used for cooling are often contaminated not to mention the surrounding areas. Do a google search (nuclear plant river contamination - Google Search).

Oh not nice, I saw that Japan plans to dump contaminated water into the sea, in other words, probably not a good idea to go swimming at beaches in Japan.

Reactions: dev553344

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nuclear today is far safer than it was 10 years ago, let alone 30. But there is that waste issue. Never heard of thorium. There is likely to be a great deal of technology around that is renewable, safe, and cheap. But that's the trouble eh. Cheap. No profits in cheap.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nah I haven't, but we stayed in Wynyard before we headed to Strahan, i think you must be near Wynyard if you said 45 minutes east haha.

Yea good guess... I do my shopping at woolys in Wynyard... Im another 10km east along Bass hwy

Reactions: Josho

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho

This is Stanley. That headland plateau is known as the nut.
You can walk up it or pay to catch a chair lift and do a 2km lap on top. Well worth the hike with lovely views and wildlife up there

20210918_140906.jpg

Now just picture some wind turbines up there... It would look really ugly... The locals aren't happy about it...

20210918_141527.jpg

"Shoo. Go away you bloody bird hating wind farmers"
they yell with a posh pomy accent while waving their fists at you

20210918_142011.jpg

They already have hydro. Clean and renewable. It just proves to me that it isn't about that

Reactions: Brakelite and Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho

This is Stanley. That headland plateau is known as the nut.
You can walk up it or pay to catch a chair lift and do a 2km lap on top. Well worth the hike with lovely views and wildlife up there

View attachment 17435

Now just picture some wind turbines up there... It would look really ugly... The locals aren't happy about it...

View attachment 17436

"Shoo. Go away you bloody bird hating wind farmers"
they yell with a posh pomy accent while waving their fists at you

View attachment 17437

They already have hydro. Clean and renewable. It just proves to me that it isn't about that

The Tassie gov should do more to block things like this.