Omnipotent, Omnipresent, and Omniscient

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Omniscience: This term refers to the all knowing nature of God. Webster defines it as "the quality of knowing all things at once; universal knowledge; knowledge unbounded or infinite." He knows our very thoughts, our feelings, our desires and our needs. He knows our words before we say them and he knows our thoughts before we think them. He knows all of our ways. In fact, God even knew us before we were born. There are no secrets before Almighty God. In short, God possesses superior knowledge and wisdom about everything and that knowledge is all encompassing. When we say that He knows our thoughts, what we really mean is that He knows the thoughts of every person on the planet right now, at this instant - all six billion plus people. He knows everything about everybody all the time, down to the most intimate detail. He doesn't need to read "People" magazine or the "National Inquirer" to find out what people are doing. He doesn't have to consult your family or friends to find out what you are thinking; He already knows it about you and everyone else on earth. That fact will give you pause if you dwell upon it.1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise;you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. 5 You hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. * * * 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Ps 139:1-6, 13-16 (NIV)You cannot pose a question that He cannot answer. Correct that - He cannot pose a question that He cannot answer. If He were to be on the game show, Jeopardy, He would answer every possible question correctly before it was asked. Having Him as a competing classmate would be a nightmare; on every exam ever administered, there would be no curve as He would have a perfect score each time.God does not need to consult any advisors to broaden his knowledge or understanding No one taught Him any of the secrets of the universe. He served no apprenticeship and He did not receive any on-the-job training. He didn't accept a university degree or an honorary doctorate; He didn't even get a high school diploma. He didn't have to; He simply knows it all, all the time. 13 Who has understood the mind of the LORD, or instructed him as his counselor? 14 Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding? Isa. 40:13-14 (NIV)Not only is He fully acquainted with all of the present facts, He also prophesied the future, including the death of His Son (Isa.. 53).The prophesies of God did not stop with the sacrifice of Christ on the cross; He has also foretold the return of Christ at the end of this age when death will be finally overcome 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed- 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." 55 "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Cor 15:51-57 (NIV)Man's knowledge, when compared to that of God, can only be described as insignificant, infinitesimal, miniscule or microscopic (get the picture?). Even with the technological advances that were made in the 20th century, man realizes that he has only scratched the surface of what could be known. Currently, our knowledge base doubles in less than a year with ongoing research and discoveries, yet many areas seem to resist exploration such as the infinity of space, the depths of the oceans and the complexity of the human brain. However, with our advancing knowledge, man seems to think that he is smarter than God. One man once questioned God and received a very direct and personal response.38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said: 2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? 3 Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. 4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Job 38:1-4 (NIV)Job didn't understand; we still don't understand today. Further rhetorical questioning by God revealed that Job knew nothing. Neither do we when compared to God's breadth and depth of knowledge. Omnipotence: This term refers to the all powerful nature of God. Looking at Webster again, this is defined as "almighty power; unlimited or infinite power; a word in strictness applicable only to God." He is the all-powerful Lord who has created all things and sustains them by His Word 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Gen 1:1 (NIV)3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. Heb 1:3 (NIV)What many people do not realize is that Jesus Christ was with God in the beginning and was actually the creator of all existence. He is the designer of life and light. Through Him, everything was completed. In the subsequent passage, Jesus Christ is called the "Word."1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. John 1:1-5 (NIV)The God of the Bible is clearly described as all-powerful and the ruler of nature and history. His power, might and authority were demonstrated at the time of creation and continued with the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. He performed numerous miracles for His people to illustrate the extent of that power. Whether it was (1) sending the ten plagues upon Egypt, (2) parting the Red Sea, (3) bringing water from rock, (4) feeding the masses with manna from heaven, (5) sending fire from heaven to defeat the prophets of Baal, (6) protecting His children in the fiery furnace or (7) voluntarily surrendering His physical life on a cross and resurrecting Himself, God provided evidence of not just His existence, but also of His power and might. Isaiah the prophet described the omnipotent character of God. Before Him "the nations are as a drop in a bucket, and are counted as the small dust on the balance" 15 Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket; they are regarded as dust on the scales; he weighs the islands as though they were fine dust. 16 Lebanon is not sufficient for altar fires, nor its animals enough for burnt offerings. 17 Before him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as worthless and less than nothing. Isa. 40:15-17 (NIV)21 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the earth was founded? 22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. 23 He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing. 24 No sooner are they planted, no sooner are they sown, no sooner do they take root in the ground, than he blows on them and they wither, and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff. 25 "To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One. 26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength,not one of them is missing. Isa. 40:21-26 (NIV)We are "like grasshoppers" when compared to God; yet, in these times, many seem to equate themselves with Him. How many times have you heard someone referred to as "god of this or that?" In the verses cited hereinabove, God Himself asks, "Who is my equal? To whom would you compare me? Who are you before me?" Standing before God, absent acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, we are "worthless and less than nothing." Standing before God with Jesus Christ as our Savior and our advocate, we are His children. The following conundrum has been posed throughout my life: If God is truly omnipotent, can He create an object so large or heavy that He cannot move it? The answer, of course, is that God possesses infinite power, a power so limitless that He not only spoke the universe into being through His love, He also willing made Himself a servant and ultimately sacrificed His life to move the hearts of men. Now that is what I call power! Omnipresence: Omnipresence is a theological term that refers to the unlimited nature of God or His ability to be everywhere at all times. Relying upon Webster's once again, we see omnipresence defined as "presence in every place at the same time; unbounded or universal presence; ubiquity." Unlike the idols of ancient cultures or the mythical gods of Greek and Roman culture, God is not limited to one altar, one temple or one geographic area. God reveals Himself in His word as being everywhere. God was present as Lord in all creation (Ps 139:7-12), and there is no escaping Him. 7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. Ps 139:7-12 (NIV)He is present in our innermost thoughts. Even as we are formed in the womb, He knows and numbers all the days of our future. (Psalm 139:15-16).Those things done in secret are not secret to God. He observes not only a person's outward actions, but more importantly, He evaluates the inner attitudes of a person's heart (Matt 6:1-18). Remember what He told Samuel when Samuel was evaluating Jesse's sons as the next king of Israel. 7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Sam 16:7 (NIV)For the believer, God actually takes up residence through the Holy Spirit and is therefore present with the believer all of the time.38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off-for all whom the Lord our God will call." Acts 2:38-39 (NIV)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, follower, I got your PM a bit ago and I thought it more appropriate for me to respond in public.God is all of the three; but I'd put an asterisk beside that statement given the shortcomings of our own ability to grasp the subject.Daniel 9:14
Therefore hath the LORD watched upon the evil, and brought it upon us: for the LORD our God is righteous in all his works which he doeth: for we obeyed not his voice.
YHVH can do no wrong - the Bible states this over and over, Net Testament and Old. He has no capacity for evil because there is not an atom of evil in him. Can he bring on calamity, which we define as evil? Yes. The Bible says so.Exodus 32:14
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
My point is God is all-knowing, but he doesn't have an evil thought in him. He can control anything he desires, but you will notice that he never lies, cheats, or deceives anyone out of anything.Moving on, the problem that saying God already knows the choice everyone will make is a big one. It sounds terrible to say that God doesn't know, but it sounds just as terrible to suggest that God's letting the torments of this world go on when he already knows who does what.Understanding the answer to this is understanding free will. God created Satan perfect (Isaiah 14 & and Ezekiel 28), but he gave his creation the choice. Satan desired to sit in the mercy seat, the very throne of God. Why would God ever create that which he knew would oppose him?II Peter 2:9-10
The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
He knows who he can trust, work with, and call upon. Paul is a shining example of that - on his way to strike down children of God when something far more powerful struck him dumb and blind. But why?It goes back to my first statement of the last paragraph. This is part of understanding the three world ages and understanding how they apply to you and everyone else. Everyone makes the choice to follow God at some point. Some are forced in this life - just as Paul was - but they have made that choice of free will in times past.The rest of II Peter 2 goes on about how the unrighteous make the choice to stew in their own muck!II Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Why, exactly, is the Lord longsuffering here!? Why is he not willing that any should perish if he already knows who will? Why does he want them all to come to repentance, already knowing that many of them never will?Psalms 119:108
Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me thy judgments.
Most likely the words of Hezekiah here, but one must understand a freewill offering. You're making it not because God told you to or tricked into it, but because you love the Lord.The understanding is that God gives all a chance.

D

desktop

When God came upon me in the driveway of my folks home so many years ago (and basically said "Here I Am!") there was never a thought in my mind afterward about His all-encompassing nature. Now this is actually supported in His Word, because in the Bible, God gives us a perfectly accurate, adequate, and authoritative revelation of His character, His nature, His plans, His acts, and His will for us. When a person truly receives the Lord they also receive all this knowledge; you just know that His is God and that His Word is true.

watt

Jun 21, 2008
IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRITHERE I AM AGAIN TO SHARE THE TRUTH OF GOD LOVE(desktop;55225)
When God came upon me in the driveway of my folks home so many years ago (and basically said "Here I Am!") there was never a thought in my mind afterward about His all-encompassing nature. Now this is actually supported in His Word, because in the Bible, God gives us a perfectly accurate, adequate, and authoritative revelation of His character, His nature, His plans, His acts, and His will for us. When a person truly receives the Lord they also receive all this knowledge; you just know that His is God and that His Word is true.
Hi dear Desktop and Follower. This topic is so wonderful....thanks for sharing.As we all knows, we are not in this world to have a good time. What matters is to take advantage of the time GOD gives us to grow and mature as a person and in our Spritual life.The person who has not suffered knows very little. And very often those who have suffered do not realize that they owe THE BEST IN THEMSELF to their having had to overcome a thoussand difficulties.We should know that we are inconstant... therefore we MUST LOOK AT THE FATHER OF LIGHT IN WHOM THERE IS NO CHANGE OR SHADOW OF CHANGE (V17)THE FATHER who does not change and whose HOLINESS AND HAPPINESS ARE TOUCHED BY NOTHING, WHAT AN AMAZING THING...: IN HIS ETERNITY, THE FATHER ENJOYS OUR PRESENCE, WHILE WE WHO LIVE IN THIS TIME DO NOT YET KNOW HOW TO FOCUS ON HIM..WE MUST ACQUIRE THE SAME FIRMNESS AND CONSTANCY WHICH ARE FROM GOD AND IN GOD...'THE GIFT' FROM GOD - THE HOLY SPIRIT, AND THROUGH HIM "GOD- IS- WITH-US"I would like to add THE WORDS from ST. JAMES for us to meditate as below:-"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.Listening and Doing My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (JAMES 1:12-27)MAY GOD B;ESS ALLAMENFROM WATT

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Denver;55224)
Well, follower, I got your PM a bit ago and I thought it more appropriate for me to respond in public.God is all of the three; but I'd put an asterisk beside that statement given the shortcomings of our own ability to grasp the subject.Daniel 9:14YHVH can do no wrong - the Bible states this over and over, Net Testament and Old. He has no capacity for evil because there is not an atom of evil in him. Can he bring on calamity, which we define as evil? Yes. The Bible says so.Exodus 32:14My point is God is all-knowing, but he doesn't have an evil thought in him. He can control anything he desires, but you will notice that he never lies, cheats, or deceives anyone out of anything.Moving on, the problem that saying God already knows the choice everyone will make is a big one. It sounds terrible to say that God doesn't know, but it sounds just as terrible to suggest that God's letting the torments of this world go on when he already knows who does what.Understanding the answer to this is understanding free will. God created Satan perfect (Isaiah 14 & and Ezekiel 28), but he gave his creation the choice. Satan desired to sit in the mercy seat, the very throne of God. Why would God ever create that which he knew would oppose him?II Peter 2:9-10He knows who he can trust, work with, and call upon. Paul is a shining example of that - on his way to strike down children of God when something far more powerful struck him dumb and blind. But why?It goes back to my first statement of the last paragraph. This is part of understanding the three world ages and understanding how they apply to you and everyone else. Everyone makes the choice to follow God at some point. Some are forced in this life - just as Paul was - but they have made that choice of free will in times past.The rest of II Peter 2 goes on about how the unrighteous make the choice to stew in their own muck!II Peter 3:9Why, exactly, is the Lord longsuffering here!? Why is he not willing that any should perish if he already knows who will? Why does he want them all to come to repentance, already knowing that many of them never will?Psalms 119:108Most likely the words of Hezekiah here, but one must understand a freewill offering. You're making it not because God told you to or tricked into it, but because you love the Lord.The understanding is that God gives all a chance.
Nicely said Denver