On being a Saint

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The higher one goes in the Lord, the more you have to leave behind.

That works for natural human relational things as well as natural human things regarding ourselves. If we still indulge our own ideas, opinions, thoughts...etc, then we are not yet in the presence of God. Quite the opposite.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true, you just wanted to argue, rather than discuss. And as far as leading somewhere, you were going around in circles, never wanting to leave an old ritual we are no longer under, so is no longer LAW.

I disagree that the Sabbath Rest is no longer law. It is true that we no longer follow the letter of the law but rather the spirit of the law - the law is spiritual and good.

I think I break the Sabbath rest law, not if I do or don't go to a church building on a certain day, but rather when I worry instead of trust.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. When you stop listening or reject what the Holy Spirit is saying you can never be saved.

The issue here is which sins result in God removing someone from this earth immediately. Which sins do not.

1 John 5:16-17 New International Version (NIV)
16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I disagree that the Sabbath Rest is no longer law. It is true that we no longer follow the letter of the law but rather the spirit of the law - the law is spiritual and good.

I think I break the Sabbath rest law, not if I do or don't go to a church building on a certain day, but rather when I worry instead of trust.
I take your general point about worry; and of course activities in Acts 2.42 should be pursued with joy.

As regards the law system with its sabbath (before the Resurrection, the fulfillment of the feast of firstfruits (1 Corinthians 15.20), the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take your general point about worry; and of course activities in Acts 2.42 should be pursued with joy.

As regards the law system with its sabbath (before the Resurrection, the fulfillment of the feast of firstfruits (1 Corinthians 15.20), the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

I think the law has changed only as in HOW we are obedient to it. Not outwardly, but inwardly. I do not think it is done away with.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree with you, and you don't understand me. God's rest is not confined to a day of the week, like it was to teach us that there IS a rest in God. Jesus gives us rest, everyday.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is less stringent - do not physically take a man's life OR do not be angry at a man in your heart?

Hi stunnedbygrace, I missed this before . . .

I believe we've been born to the Lawgiver, and now, we don't define our lives by His Law, we define life by God Himself. We don't try to attain the righteousness that comes in keeping the Law, instead, we attain to the righteousness of Jesus Himself.

We've been given Jesus' righteousness, and we are instructed to put it on ourselves and wear it, wear Him, put on Christ, not put on the Mosaic covenant, bu tput on the new man.

Living to keep the Law instead of living Christ is like going shopping with half a chopped penny instead of bringing Beto's AMEX card.

Which is the higher standard?

Thou shalt not murder.

I tell you, hatred is as murder.

Love your enemies.

?

Much love! - to you my friend!

Mark

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The challenge of the one called to be a saint is to grow downward as well as upward. IOW we must also increase in humility as we grow in the knowledge of the Lord and of His ways.

I remember asking a young man to draw me a tree on a whiteboard (he was learning) ...when he finished I remarked that he had only drawn half a tree...the visible part. No roots. The full tree is as big underground as above....so the picture is incomplete by only showing the part that is above ground.

So we have to grow both upwards and downwards in order to stay upright in our conduct.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi stunnedbygrace, I missed this before . . .

I believe we've been born to the Lawgiver, and now, we don't define our lives by His Law, we define life by God Himself. We don't try to attain the righteousness that comes in keeping the Law, instead, we attain to the righteousness of Jesus Himself.

We've been given Jesus' righteousness, and we are instructed to put it on ourselves and wear it, wear Him, put on Christ, not put on the Mosaic covenant, bu tput on the new man.

Living to keep the Law instead of living Christ is like going shopping with half a chopped penny instead of bringing Beto's AMEX card.

Which is the higher standard?

Thou shalt not murder.

I tell you, hatred is as murder.

Love your enemies.

?

Much love! - to you my friend!

Mark

I'm only working now to get you to be more tight and concise. As a question, the answer is only more, or less. Without getting into all the machinations of HOW it comes about and happens, is it making things MORE demanding or LESS demanding to tell someone they must not ever physically take a life or to tell them they must not ever have anger in their heart? Its easy to see that its more demanding. He was basically saying, the Pharisees don't murder, but your righteousness must exceed theirs. The Pharisees are very religious and they don't sleep with anyone but their wives, but your righteousness must exceed theirs.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm only working now to get you to be more tight and concise. As a question, the answer is only more, or less. Without getting into all the machinations of HOW it comes about and happens, is it making things MORE demanding or LESS demanding to tell someone they must not ever physically take a life or to tell them they must not ever have anger in their heart? Its easy to see that its more demanding. He was basically saying, the Pharisees don't murder, but your righteousness must exceed theirs. The Pharisees are very religious and they don't sleep with anyone but their wives, but your righteousness must exceed theirs.
The Pharisees more and are legalists, which saves no one.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgive me core but is that a complete and well constructed sentence? I don't know what you are trying to say...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm only working now to get you to be more tight and concise.

Are you? How nice!

As a question, the answer is only more, or less. Without getting into all the machinations of HOW it comes about and happens, is it making things MORE demanding or LESS demanding to tell someone they must not ever physically take a life or to tell them they must not ever have anger in their heart?

The demand of the law becomes greater, in that it regulates both thought and action, as opposed to what they all thought, only action.

Yet love was in the law the whole while.

Jesus pointed out what they should have already known. God commanded them to love others, which means not hating them.

Its easy to see that its more demanding. He was basically saying, the Pharisees don't murder, but your righteousness must exceed theirs. The Pharisees are very religious and they don't sleep with anyone but their wives, but your righteousness must exceed theirs.

Love is higher still, in that it doesn't stop with what we are not to do - don't hate - but we come to "do love".

The commandment was, do not steal. The internal part is, don't want to enrich yourself at another's expense. But love says, don't just not steal, but give from what you earn to others. In fact, work so you are able to give to others.

Living after the Spirit is greater than living after the Law.

Much love!
mark

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Jesus made the law fully impossible for men to do in their own strength because He was going to give His followers the power to do it by grace in the power of the Lord.

When it comes to OUR part in righteousness... it is to admit that we can't do it in our weakness. So then OUR righteousness calls out to God's righteousness for help. When we recognize our need and cry out to Him...salvation comes by a filling of the Spirit. In this way His will is done on earth as it is in heaven.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus made the law fully impossible for men to do in their own strength because He was going to give His followers the power to do it by grace in the power of the Lord.

When it comes to OUR part in righteousness... it is to admit that we can't do it in our weakness. So then OUR righteousness calls out to God's righteousness for help. When we recognize our need and cry out to Him...salvation comes by a filling by the Spirit. In this way His will is done on earth as it is in heaven.

Yes! Even the disciples said it was impossible. I get this pic in my head of all these jaws down by their sandals and them sputtering, but You are asking from us what is impossible...

Reactions: Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, I sure didn't mean you to take offense at that...you successfully conveyed that what I said ruffled you there. :D

Hi stunnedbygrace,

I'm sorry, that wasn't offence, not at all! I was simply metacommunicating to your metacommunication.

You may want to re-think your conclusion of me.

Didn't know what else to say and wanting to be friendly.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes! Even the disciples said it was impossible. I get this pic in my head of all these jaws down by their sandals and them sputtering, but You are asking from us what is impossible...

But faith DOES the impossible. Throwing mountains and trees into the sea. Raising the dead, healing the sick, casting out demons AND...walking in the presence of God. :)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now Catholics believe that a saint comes along once in a generation...and Protestants think everybody who accepts free salvation is a saint.

I believe neither are true.

I am posting this thread for those who are interested in advancing their walks towards saintliness. God has ordained that there will always be a remnant who do so.

I will not engage in futile discussions from people with carnal and religious agendas who seek to defend their presumed status. If I could delete these annoyances that are sure to arise...I would. :)

So what is a saint?

A saint is one who walks like Jesus...in resurrection power. There are few saints in a society such as we find ourselves...but there could be many more if only people would...

1. acknowledge that they are not yet saints (humble themselves)
2. take their calling seriously and seek the Lord.

To be a saint means walking where few have walked...yet are able to do so because of the deeper gift of grace....which is the keeping power of God...after the surrender of all one is and has.

The purpose of this thread is to inform and encourage potential saints to that higher calling in Jesus Christ that Paul sought after so much. What Paul sought for in his day...people mock today as pointless. Is it any wonder then that so few saints are being molded in our time?

There are 61 verses in the New Testament that include the word saint. In every case, the Greek word used is the same. it is HAGIOS and that means an awful thing, sacred which means physically pure, morally blameless or religious and ceremonially consecrated, one saint. In all of scripture, it appears 229 times.

One gets the idea that a saint is one that stands out from the rest. The bit I like is the awful thing, as it denotes that saints are to be approached with caution as one does not know what could happen in their presence. Just imagine if people talked about you as the "awful thing?" Would you consider that as an honour or as something that is derogatory such as "he is such an awful person."

If I was to do a play on words I could turn that into an "awesome thing." Are you, am I an awesome thing for God? Today, I do get the impression that the requirement is not sainthood, but one that follows the rule to the letter and does things our way. I remember at a church I started attending, I definitely did not do things their way. In a prayer meeting, someone asked for prayer for her husband who could not seem to get rid of sickness he was experiencing.

The Lord spoke to me and said pray over a cloth and put it under his pillow. I told the lady that and gave her my handkerchief and we prayed over it. She put it under his pillow and a few days later he was well.

The following Sunday I was approached by one of the pastors who said I was out of order because it was the pastor's job to do that.

Reactions: Episkopos