Once Blood Bought and Justified, Always Blood Bought and Justified? ... You Betcha!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be 'bought with a price'? That God was willing to obtain possession of us on Calvary by paying the ultimate price ... the blood of His own Son. The blood of Christ not only paid for the liberation of all those who have placed their faith in Christ's atoning work, setting them free from the dominion of sin, His sacrifice changed their ownership ... they have become the eternal possessions of God. My friends, it just doesn't get any better than this!

Romans 5:1,9 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: ... "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him." [KJV]

Romans 3:24, "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:" [KJV]

Hebrews 10:14, " For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." KJV]

Hebrews 9:12, "neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us." [KJV]

Now, there are some who mistakenly suppose that some of those redeemed, regenerated, born again children of God will ultimately become "un-redeemed", "un-regenerated" and "un-born again". That is to say, they will forfeit their salvation and ultimately eternally perish in the Lake of Fire. Nothing could be further from the gospel truth.

This is how the enemy works :

A believing person goes to God, to the Cross, on the day they
are saved, and they are so thankful that God saved them. They
know that day, they are saved and who did it, and they know
they are going to Heaven, because of God and Christ and the cross.

2 Yrs later, they are on a forum teaching … "Here is how you
lose salvation" ... "here are the commandments you need to keep,
and the works you need to do, to stay saved" ...

Yet, the day they were saved, they knew why they were going to heaven, as they had the truth then ... and now, over time, they’ve been conned out of it by "theology” deceivers".

Galatians 3:1-3, "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" [KJV]

No genuine, regenerated, child of God [having placed their faith in Christ's atoning work] will ever forfeit or "lose" their salvation that was purchased for them at Calvary by the precious blood of Jesus Christ ... it is the very essence of the gospel. To deny this is to essentially deny [or totally misunderstand] the efficacy of Christ's atoning work.

Tragically, there are those who believe God's promise of eternal redemption to be merely 'probational' and potentially temporary. They view sole trust in Christ's cross work as being either "too good to be true", or "too easy" to be fulfilled on the part of man [i.e. - a form of 'easy believism'] ... this I have found to be the case with so very many professing Christians. The question I pose to them is this, "if it's so "easy" to believe, then why do so very few believe it? ... hint - "because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matthew 7:14 [KJV]

Every child of God has been purchased by the blood of Jesus Christ, resulting in the forgiveness of all of their sins [past, present, future]. They become His possession eternally at that point in time [as a result of a free will decision that they have made]. I hope and pray that that truth doesn't frighten you ... we are now 'stuck' with the dilemma of Heaven being our eternal dwelling place. No genuine child of God will regret making that irreversible decision. As the by-product of receiving a new nature at the point of their regeneration, they will be sickened and repulsed by the very thought of rescinding their initial decision to place their faith in Christ.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No genuine, regenerated, child of God [having placed their faith in Christ's atoning work] will ever forfeit or "lose" their salvation that was purchased for them at Calvary by the precious blood of Jesus Christ ... it is the very essence of the gospel. To deny this is to essentially deny [or totally misunderstand] the efficacy of Christ's atoning work.

I'm curious what you do with the warnings against present or future willful sinning where you could "draw back to perdition." That's hell. They have trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
Every child of God has been purchased by the blood of Jesus Christ, resulting in the forgiveness of all of their sins [past, present, future].
That is not in the Bible. Only our past sins have been cleansed 2 Peter 1:9. What actually happens is His Spirit in us IF we have the Spirit of Christ in us, empowers us to NOT sin in the present nor future. We walk in the Spirit in sinlessness. Our old sin nature is dead. This is not "sinless perfection" which are two different stages of glorification. Sinlessness is at the beginning when cleansed of all unrighteousness and given the power of the Holy Spirit to keep ourselves, 1 John 5:18, and perfection is after a lifetime of maturing the fruit of the Spirit when you will never stumble 2 Peter 1:2-11. Only then, if we live that long could we be considered both.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the boards.

2 Peter 2:20-22 - For if  after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

1 Timothy 4:1 - Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Thessalonians 2:3 - Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Hebrews 3:12 - Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be 'bought with a price'? That God was willing to obtain possession of us on Calvary by paying the ultimate price ... the blood of His own Son. The blood of Christ not only paid for the liberation of all those who have placed their faith in Christ's atoning work, setting them free from the dominion of sin, His sacrifice changed their ownership ... they have become the eternal possessions of God. My friends, it just doesn't get any better than this!

Romans 5:1,9 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: ... "Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him." [KJV]

Romans 3:24, "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:" [KJV]

Hebrews 10:14, " For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." KJV]

Hebrews 9:12, "neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us." [KJV]

Now, there are some who mistakenly suppose that some of those redeemed, regenerated, born again children of God will ultimately become "un-redeemed", "un-regenerated" and "un-born again". That is to say, they will forfeit their salvation and ultimately eternally perish in the Lake of Fire. Nothing could be further from the gospel truth.

Yet, the day they were saved, they knew why they were going to heaven, as they had the truth then ... and now, over time, they’ve been conned out of it by "theology” deceivers".

Galatians 3:1-3, "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" [KJV]

Tragically, there are those who believe God's promise of eternal redemption to be merely 'probational' and potentially temporary. They view sole trust in Christ's cross work as being either "too good to be true", or "too easy" to be fulfilled on the part of man [i.e. - a form of 'easy believism'] ... this I have found to be the case with so very many professing Christians. The question I pose to them is this, "if it's so "easy" to believe, then why do so very few believe it? ... hint - "because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matthew 7:14 [KJV]

Every child of God has been purchased by the blood of Jesus Christ, resulting in the forgiveness of all of their sins [past, present, future]. They become His possession eternally at that point in time [as a result of a free will decision that they have made]. I hope and pray that that truth doesn't frighten you ... we are now 'stuck' with the dilemma of Heaven being our eternal dwelling place. No genuine child of God will regret making that irreversible decision. As the by-product of receiving a new nature at the point of their regeneration, they will be sickened and repulsed by the very thought of rescinding their initial decision to place their faith in Christ.
I'll paraphrase a great reply to the often stated notion that eternal salvation is false.

When God chose to save us he most certainly is able to keep us.

God permanently saved us by his choice.

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll paraphrase a great reply to the often stated notion that eternal salvation is false.

When God chose to save us he most certainly is able to keep us.

God permanently saved us by his choice.
Welcome, nice copy and paste job.

Here we go again, OSAS or not OSAS.......
just when one thread about this issue is done,
a new one pops up.

Good luck and have fun. :)
Well, thank you my friend ... I'll certainly try to have fun, but I'm well aware of the fact that people can be brutal at times. The reality is, for the most part," earnestly contending for the faith which was once delivered for the faith which was once delivered to to saints", [per Jude 3] involves much persecution and rejection [per Matthew 7:14; 2 Timothy 3:12-13].

Reactions: marks

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the boards.

2 Peter 2:20-22 - For if  after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

1 Timothy 4:1 - Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Thessalonians 2:3 - Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Hebrews 3:12 - Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Thank you for that warm greeting my friend! All of your questions will eventually be answered more fully in time via the articles that I'll be posting. But for now, I'll just give you the short answer to your questions .

2 Peter 2:20-22 - this verse involves a subjunctive conditional statement - a hypothetical statement ... a statement that involves a what would happen if scenario - a 'if-then' scenario [if after they escaped ....and then they are again entangled...]. Notice that nowhere is is stated that any genuine believer will actually depart from the faith. It's simply a hypothetical proposition that states if a person were to do so ... then the latter end will be worse than the beginning.

Now, since I'm not a 5-point Calvinist, I do not believe as they do that the 'person' being described here is not a genuine believer. I simply believe that if a person is actually a believer, they will not depart from the faith, they will take heed to those warnings given to them [although some will require and experience more of God's chastening hand than others]. God has promised to PRESERVE every genuine believer until the end of their lives. God implements various means in order to fulfill His promise, and the warning passages spread throughout the scriptures such as 2 Peter 2:20-22 are one of those means. [Hebrews 3:12 also falls under the category of a warning passage].

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 :
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be PRESERVED blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also WILL do it. [KJV]

1 Timothy 4:1 - we are told that 'some' will depart from the faith. The issue here is who are the 'some"? They are either those who profess to be followers of Christ [but are counterfeits] and/or society as a whole in the last days will depart from embracing the true gospel message proclaimed in the Bible. What do I base my truth statement upon you may ask? Upon the bold declaration made [most likely by the Apostle Paul] in Romans 8:30 where we are told that all who have been justified [past tense] will be glorified in Heaven [future tense] = Once Justified, Always Justified [OJAJ].

Romans 8:30, "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. [KJV]

2 Thessalonians 2:3 - if the 'falling away' mentioned here is actually referring to a spiritual falling away or departing, then the answer I provided to your question on 1 Timothy 4:1 applies. However, it's very plausible, if not most likely , a reference to a physical departing [i.e - the Rapture event that was just spoken of in 1 Thessalonians 4]. The word used for 'falling away' there simply refers to a departing from one place to another ... which could mean either a spiritual or physical departing from.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Rapture, welcome to the forum, is not that simply another way of saying once saved, always saved sir?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your welcome but I'll not be staying for the lecture, I only came for the food. Since there is none and I asked no questions, I'll be going.

God is infallible and commits no sins. The Spirit on the other hand wars with the flesh in men continually. If you ever find yourself outside of walking in the Spirit 24/7, and commit sin, be careful that you are not overcome and depart the faith of God.

Good day !

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rapture, welcome to the forum, is not that simply another way of saying once saved, always saved sir?
Thank you for those kind words my friend, and may I add that your question is very observant and important. The reason why I much prefer to use the term Once Justified, Always Justified [OJAJ] than Once Saved, Always Saved [OSAS] is two-fold. Firstly, OJAJ is a much more precise theological term than the more 'generic' term OSAS. Secondly, there is a true version of OSAS and a false version of OSAS. Unfortunately, because the true version of OSAS is rarely represented, those who oppose it are, for the most part, rejecting the incorrect version of it .... a kind of dismantling of a 'strawman' position. This reality becomes very frustrating for those of us in the minority position that also reject the counterfeit rendition of OSAS.

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm curious what you do with the warnings against present or future willful sinning where you could "draw back to perdition." That's hell. They have trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

That is not in the Bible. Only our past sins have been cleansed 2 Peter 1:9. What actually happens is His Spirit in us IF we have the Spirit of Christ in us, empowers us to NOT sin in the present nor future. We walk in the Spirit in sinlessness. Our old sin nature is dead. This is not "sinless perfection" which are two different stages of glorification. Sinlessness is at the beginning when cleansed of all unrighteousness and given the power of the Holy Spirit to keep ourselves, 1 John 5:18, and perfection is after a lifetime of maturing the fruit of the Spirit when you will never stumble 2 Peter 1:2-11. Only then, if we live that long could we be considered both.
See my reply in post #7. It appears to me that your question is addressed in a response that I gave to another who asked questions that were essentially synonymous in nature with your question. I sincerely hope and pray that you do not buy into to the false teaching that believer's can obtain [or even worse - must obtain] sinless perfection during this lifetime.

Reactions: Johann

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I much prefer to use the term Once Justified, Always Justified [OJAJ]
Amen! And, Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided! (+ I and II!) * ← PG rated "Approved" *

Grace, Peace, And JOY!…

* PG = Perfect God / Parental Guidance:

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

Reactions: Rapture Bound

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for those kind words my friend, and may I add that your question is very observant and important. The reason why I much prefer to use the term Once Justified, Always Justified [OJAJ] than Once Saved, Always Saved [OSAS] is two-fold. Firstly, OJAJ is a much more precise theological term than the more 'generic' term OSAS. Secondly, there is a true version of OSAS and a false version of OSAS. Unfortunately, because the true version of OSAS is rarely represented, those who oppose it are, for the most part, rejecting the incorrect version of it .... a kind of dismantling of a 'strawman' position. This reality becomes very frustrating for those of us in the minority position that also reject the counterfeit rendition of OSAS.
Yes, I've likewise learned to change my terminology since so many argue against the false OSAS. I've used "permanent rebirth", I like your "OJAJ" also.

A question here to ask is of whom does this speak?

Who is "they"? So if you follow that back through the chapter to find the antecedant,

2 Peter 2:1-20 KJV
1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2) And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
4) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5) And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
6) And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
7) And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
8) (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds)
9) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
10) But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
11) Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
12) But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
13) And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
14) Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
15) Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
16) But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
17) These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
18) For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
19) While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
20) For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

This is not speaking of the regenerate.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to the Apostle John, those who do not remain, who leave "the faith" did not have "faith".

1 John 2:19 KJV
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Those who are true remain, those who are not do not. They look "saved" until they leave, then they show what was real.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be 'bought with a price'?
It means that you are owned. That someone else has full say over what happens concerning you. It means that your owner has the right to impose His ownership of you upon everyone else, that is, no one else, not even yourself, can go against His ownership of you.

So if your owner has sealed you for a purpose, for that purpose you are sealed. If that is to be saved in the day of redemption, who can gainsay it?

Considering this Owner is the all-powerful Creator Himself, our Heavenly Father, who can resist Him?

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God implements various means in order to fulfill His promise, and the warning passages spread throughout the scriptures such as 2 Peter 2:20-22 are one of those means. [Hebrews 3:12 also falls under the category of a warning passage].
I believe these various passages are given so that we can know the true from the false, whether in ourselves or others.

The Letter to the Hebrews 3:12 KJV
Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

I think this passage is addressing those in Israel who were questioning this new Way. I think Hebrews was written to the Jews to show the primacy of Jesus Christ, and His sacrifice over the Levitical offerings and priesthood.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do I base my truth statement upon you may ask? Upon the bold declaration made [most likely by the Apostle Paul] in Romans 8:30 where we are told that all who have been justified [past tense] will be glorified in Heaven [future tense] = Once Justified, Always Justified [OJAJ].
Here are a few more I think about . . .

1 John 3:1-3 KJV
1) Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3) And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

If we are His children now . . . when we see Him, we WILL be like Him.

Colossians 3:1-4 KJV
1) If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

If we are risen with Him, it means we've died with Him (reborn ala Romans 6), and we SHALL appear with Him in glory.

Philippians 3:20-21 KJV
20) For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21) Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

If our citizenship is in heaven, He SHALL change "the body of our humiliation" to be like His glorious body.

These are all prophetic, promises, promises of God,

2 Peter 1:2-4 KJV
2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Or, again from 1 John, Everyone who has "this hope" purifies himself, even as He is pure. Believing God's promise that we are His forever is what enables us to live "partakers of the divine nature".

Believing rebirth is forever enables us to overcome the flesh now. We know the outcome . . . so we know we have the power, in Christ.

Much love!

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I've likewise learned to change my terminology since so many argue against the false OSAS. I've used "permanent rebirth", I like your "OJAJ" also.

A question here to ask is of whom does this speak?

Who is "they"? So if you follow that back through the chapter to find the antecedant,

2 Peter 2:1-20 KJV
1) But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2) And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
4) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5) And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
6) And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
7) And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
8) (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds)
9) The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
10) But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
11) Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
12) But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
13) And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
14) Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
15) Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
16) But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
17) These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
18) For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
19) While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
20) For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

This is not speaking of the regenerate.

Much love!

Well, this is an 'in-house' debate in the sense that we agree that no genuine believer will actually forfeit or 'lose' their salvation. So, although I view your interpretation of this verse as being plausible, I don't view it as being the probable one [which I stated in post #7]. Keep in mind that the dire consequences involved in this passage are strictly hypothetical [denoted by an 'if']. And, if these passages are directly addressing genuine believers, no where in this text or in the surrounding context of this passage [or anywhere else in scripture for that matter] is it stated that any genuine believer will actually experience such a horrendous future.

This does not in any sense lessen the 'realness' of the warning passage; for if a believer were to do so, they would actually incur such an ending [the 'if' - 'would' element here denotes a conditional subjunctive or hypothetical state]. The mere fact that a hypothetical state exists in no way necessitates the actual outcome being experienced by even one individual. Rather, God uses this and similar warning passages as one of the means in which He keeps His promise to preserve all of His children. Blessings!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“…thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.” (Romans 11:20-21, KJV)​

Reactions: L.A.M.B.