Once Saved Always Saved ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(farouk;68275)
Christina:Yes, the more we delve into God's Word, the more we see just how deep it is and how many nuances and different emphases there are. Even in the way passages are themselves put together, the Scriptures themselves can often be a salutary and helpful guide in showing us just how in the revelation of Divine truth two distinct emphases or aspects can exisit side by side, not in opposition but in a complementary way.Examples that come to mind include statements in Philippians chapter 2:"Work our your own salvation [or: deliverance] with fear and trembling. For it is God that worketh in you both to do and to will of his good pleasure." Now it would seem that in the first statement, in this passage of Divine revelation, the emphasis would be on human responsibility. Whereas the apparent emphasis in the second statement is Divine sovereignty.Again, for example, adjacently occurring statements of the Lord Jesus in chapter 6 of John's Gospel come to mind. He says:"All that the Father hath given me shall come to me". He goes on to say immediately afterwards, "and him that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out."it would seem that in the first statement, the emphasis would be on Divine sovereignty. Whereas the apparent emphasis in the second statement is human responsibility.For statements of Scripture such as the ones in these passages, if a reader were to approach them in a strongly rationalizing way, the reaction might possibly be,'Well, which of these statements are more true than the others?' whereas we know by faith that if we acknowledge that both sets of statements with apparently divergent emphases are part of the overall mind of the Lord for us in revelation, then without necessarily being able fully to rationalize them completely now, we can await a coming day when faith will give way to sight as we gaze in eternity on the Lord Jesus who said to His followers, who didn't always grasp fully what his meaning was: "What I do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know hereafter." Things I don't really grasp now will become clear in a coming day, and meanwhile, in order to affirm God's sovereignty from Scripture, I am not challenging human responsibility, and in order to affirm Scripture's statements about human responsibility I am not challenging God's sovereignty. It is in fact exactly these issues which have taken up the efforts and studies of Godly teachers of past generations and centuries. For example, the preacher C H Spurgeon in the 19th century was asked how he reconciled the sovereignty of God with human responsibility. And, humorist that he often proved to be, he responded, "I wouldn't try to reconcile two friends".I don't properly understand it - in fact, the very eternity of God means I can't properly grasp His greatness - but the loving and gracious key with which the Lord challenges me is the idea of trust (Proverbs 3, 5), when Scripture shows two distinct emphases, sometimes even expressed side by side.I like Anne Griffiths' words, which I apply to my heart, in her lovely hymn about the Scriptures:'O may these hallowed pages be My ever dear delight!And still new beauties may I see, And still increasing light!"(My two cents'.)
Well OSAS is clearly nearly all the time goes the wrong way. May I add an old post of mine?(thesuperjag;10034)
Writer the OSAS doctrine is so deceiving and it is made by man. And I don't need a scripture to support this common sense. For ensample, When I accepted Jesus into my heart, I became saved... Now if I turn my back on my Saviour and I became a wiccan (an example) and never want Him again...then I am going to say that I was never truly saved at all...therefore the OSAS doctrine needs to be discarded.
And yes this does apply to James 2, and John 14:15.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(logabe;68271)
Now you got it Christina..."MISSING SOMETHING" is the key words.It's not about osas...it's about rightly dividing the Word of God. OSASis not in the Bible. What is in the Bible is SANCTIFICATION. One is quotingJUSTIFICATION scriptures and you are quoting SANCTIFICATION scriptures.What's the difference? Thought you would never ask. You don't lose your Justification...which is believing on the Lord Jesus Christ...that qualifiesyou for the second resurrection but if you want the FIRST Resurrectionyou must go through the firery trials that try you and that is called Sanctification. Mal. 3:2-3 says,2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he [is] like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:3 And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.In the N.T. James says,12 Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.Your job is to humble and submit unto the Lord and He performsthe WORK not you. Yes but we still have to humble and submit right?Yes and the Lord gives us the faith as a gift to perform humility andsubmission to His Spirit. So we really don't have anything to do with that either. It is God working His Will in us causing us to grow in theSpirit.Someone who rejects chastisement is like the Israelites in thewilderness. Did they overcome? Paul said NO. Did they cross over into the Promise Land? Paul said No. The Promise Land represents the First Resurrection where only the Overcomerswill be written in the Book of Life or given Immortality in thatAge. The rest of God's Servants will be raised with the unbelievers orthe Second Resurrection. In Luke 12:46,46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for [him], and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.In other words, they were evil servants of God and they had towait like the Israelites did in the wilderness. So when you rightlydivide the Word of Truth, all the scriptures begin to make sense.Logabe
I always did get it Logabe I prefer to show it in scripture and make it understandable to others and not surround with a bunch of mens Words to drowned out Gods

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(farouk;68275)
Christina:Yes, the more we delve into God's Word, the more we see just how deep it is and how many nuances and different emphases there are. Even in the way passages are themselves put together, the Scriptures themselves can often be a salutary and helpful guide in showing us just how in the revelation of Divine truth two distinct emphases or aspects can exisit side by side, not in opposition but in a complementary way.Examples that come to mind include statements in Philippians chapter 2:"Work our your own salvation [or: deliverance] with fear and trembling. For it is God that worketh in you both to do and to will of his good pleasure." Now it would seem that in the first statement, in this passage of Divine revelation, the emphasis would be on human responsibility. Whereas the apparent emphasis in the second statement is Divine sovereignty.Again, for example, adjacently occurring statements of the Lord Jesus in chapter 6 of John's Gospel come to mind. He says:"All that the Father hath given me shall come to me". He goes on to say immediately afterwards, "and him that cometh unto me I will in no wise cast out."it would seem that in the first statement, the emphasis would be on Divine sovereignty. Whereas the apparent emphasis in the second statement is human responsibility.For statements of Scripture such as the ones in these passages, if a reader were to approach them in a strongly rationalizing way, the reaction might possibly be,'Well, which of these statements are more true than the others?' whereas we know by faith that if we acknowledge that both sets of statements with apparently divergent emphases are part of the overall mind of the Lord for us in revelation, then without necessarily being able fully to rationalize them completely now, we can await a coming day when faith will give way to sight as we gaze in eternity on the Lord Jesus who said to His followers, who didn't always grasp fully what his meaning was: "What I do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know hereafter." Things I don't really grasp now will become clear in a coming day, and meanwhile, in order to affirm God's sovereignty from Scripture, I am not challenging human responsibility, and in order to affirm Scripture's statements about human responsibility I am not challenging God's sovereignty. It is in fact exactly these issues which have taken up the efforts and studies of Godly teachers of past generations and centuries. For example, the preacher C H Spurgeon in the 19th century was asked how he reconciled the sovereignty of God with human responsibility. And, humorist that he often proved to be, he responded, "I wouldn't try to reconcile two friends".I don't properly understand it - in fact, the very eternity of God means I can't properly grasp His greatness - but the loving and gracious key with which the Lord challenges me is the idea of trust (Proverbs 3, 5), when Scripture shows two distinct emphases, sometimes even expressed side by side.I like Anne Griffiths' words, which I apply to my heart, in her lovely hymn about the Scriptures:'O may these hallowed pages be My ever dear delight!And still new beauties may I see, And still increasing light!"(My two cents'.)
Why do people that believe this false doctrine always relate it to works ...Works has nothing to do with anything we are discussing we are saved by grace period Works are our garments our clothes they save no one and no one is claiming they do but that still doesnt answer the question there are no contradictions in Gods Word only a lack on our part to understand what is being said most people who by OSAs dont really realize what they are saying .... You give excuse to the sinner ... you remove hope from the struggling Christian which God will judge you for [/U]this is what this doctrine says read closley REPOSTThank you for the letter you faxed to me in response to my letter. I am reading your book slowly and carefully. There is a great deal to think about as I read. Before reading your book I thought there was nothing more for me to learn on the subject of OSAS [once saved always saved]. I used to belong to an Independent Baptist Church that preached the truth of OSAS. I once accepted this false teaching as truth. It was not until I heard a traveling evangelist teach that OSAS is a false doctrine that I even began to think about the subject. After hearing this man’s message I felt an intense urgency to know the truth about OSAS. I had such a strong desire to know the truth that I became almost obsessed with my need to know with certainty whether or not OSAS was true. I wouldn’t be satisfied with anything less than 100% confidence that this doctrine was either true or false. I decided to begin my study by reading every word of the Bible from beginning to end and taking notes on any verse that seemed to be even remotely related to the subject. After doing this I decided I should read some of the OSAS books to see if they had any insights that would be helpful. My study lasted for about 3 years. My study lasted this long because I could not be satisfied until I was absolutely certain about the truth of this doctrine. I have to admit that I desperately wanted OSAS to be true. My mind was totally biased in favor of OSAS. However, I never allowed my biases to stop me from honestly evaluating what the Bible taught on this subject. What I found was astounding. The Bible constantly used words like “IF.” I was unable to find even one shred of evidence that OSAS was true. Almost as amazing was the way the OSAS teachers distorted Bible passages to fit into the OSAS teaching. I found their distortions so unfounded and false that I could not even begin to comprehend how they could interpret passages the way they did. The answers to my prayers and the end of my mental torment came in a single day. I don’t know if it was God opening my eyes or a result of my study but after 3 years of study and agonizing uncertainty on this subject all of my false ideas about OSAS were swept away. I became absolutely certain that according to the teachings of Jesus and all of the apostles, OSAS was absolutely and totally false. I no longer had even the slightest doubt that it was completely false. As I began to talk to people who believed in OSAS I began to realize that none of them have even given the subject any real thought. Their ideas and explanations are shallow and without thought. I once asked a Baptist who had a position of authority this question:If a person is saved but then two years later they 1. Reject Jesus Christ 2. Become a Satan worshipper 3. Commit sins worse than Adolph Hitler 4. Live this way for the next 50 years 5. They go to their grave blaspheming God and declaring their hatred for Him and also declare their love and loyalty to Satan. I asked if they thought this hypothetical person was still saved and their answer was yes they are still saved. I knew then that the OSAS teachers have rejected all aspects of Biblical thinking. The Baptist Church I belonged to took a vote and I was unanimously voted out of fellowship for the heretical belief that a Christian can fall away and be eternally lost. I am at the point now where I find the OSAS teaching so repulsive that I cannot even listen to an OSAS teacher no matter what they are talking about. Everything they say is tainted by their OSAS doctrine. Additionally, because they do not believe the Christian is in a real battle, they are more like game show hosts who are trying to keep their audience entertained and interested in their show. Without the realization that we are in a real battle for our souls there is no incentive to take the Christian life seriously. Because no matter what they do they think in the end they’ll be in heaven. This deception greatly troubles me. Sin is more deadly and more deceptive then most Christians even begin to understand. Sin deludes our thinking. Sin can make us imagine that we really aren’t straying that far from Jesus. To me this is the most dangerous aspect of OSAS. If we do not think we can fall away then our fear of sin will be greatly diminished. Once our fear of sin is diminished we can be easily led down a path that takes us further and further away from God. Sin will keep us from seeing how far off the path we have gone. We will of course be aware of the fact we have gotten off the path but we will not be afraid because we think we can’t lose our salvation. Sin will delude us into thinking that we have only strayed a little when in fact we are being systematically led further and further away from God and the truth. This deadly two punch combination of (1) No fear of falling away to our eternal destruction; and (2) The deceptive power of sin leading us further and further away from God will lead us so far away from God and harden our hearts so much that eventually we have very little chance of ever repenting and getting back on the narrow road that leads to eternal life.We will have rejected Jesus Christ and the gospel and yet continue to think we are still Christians on our way to heaven. All of this makes me very sad. People that I know who honestly love God and sincerely want to follow Jesus have been disarmed by this false teaching. They don’t know there is a real battle going on. Without knowing there is a real battle going on it makes Satan’s job 1000 times easier. At some point in their life sin may tempt them. When this happens it will be so much easier for them to succumb to it. Many Christians sincerely desire to live a Godly life. However, we also live in the flesh so will always face temptation. Understanding the dangers of allowing sin to come into our life is essential to keeping the flesh under control. When we do not fear sin the Holy Spirit is unable to convict us of sin and the need to repent. At a weak moment in our life sin can grab us and slowly lead us further and further away from God. Sadly, we probably won’t even know that this is happening because we have shut down the Holy Spirit’s ability to convict us of our sin and the need to repent and get back on the right path.Thank you again for your book and your encouragement. I am learning a great deal from your book. I did not think there was anyone who understood this subject better than I do. But I am glad that God led me to you. You have taken my understanding of OSAS to a new level.I am gaining so many new insights about OSAS from your book. I also feel like I am not alone. It is a blessing to know there are others who understand this vital truth. Thank you so much for everything you are doing. You have been a great blessing to me.Sincerely,Jeff S. www.evangelicaloutreach.org/jeff.htm

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think I may have been coming to the OSAS idea from a different angle, and I'm not from North America originally either. Where I came from, OSAS or some such term, was often used in conjuction with affirming the preciousness of the promises of Scripture to the believer, and passages such as the end of Romans 8 might be cited at the same time.Whereas I think some of you guys are using OSAS as an example of how inadequate Gospel presentations in some churches can give rise to people assuming that they can 'continue in sin, that grace may abound', as Paul says, before also saying to this, 'God forbid'. (Romans)So I guess different people respond to the discoursive aspects of this in more than one way, although they may in the end share quite a lot of convictions that are similar.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Exactly I find that alot that people do not understand what OSAS doctrine really means to many Thats why I say God never taught it ... He teaches that IF we stay humble if we stay in faith, if we stay in his word, he will never leave us nor forsake us...We know this in out hearts .. and as long as we never leave him he will keep us ...this is the promise of salvation .......but God never forces us to take it or keep it against our will but the flip side is we must not leave him by choice/free will or we have broken the promise ...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Believers in Romans 8 are described as those who have no condemnation in Christ Jesus, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit".There's another way I am coming from a different corner of the big, wide room. I am not from North America originally, but I notice that some North American believers speak about the things of the Lord using words which are often used in American politics. This goes back at least to the era of the Jacksonian Democrats and popular speakers such as Finney. It's a big subject, but I guess that the ball park of Christian discourse in English is rather big. So from time to time I may end up not using similar vocabulary particularly since I still dont link my Christian faith with the language of US political rights, etc.(Just more [boring?] explanatory two cents..)

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
(Christina;68284)
Exactly I find that alot that people do not understand what OSAS doctrine really means to many Thats why I say God never taught it ... He teaches that IF we stay humble if we stay in faith, if we stay in his word, he will never leave us nor forsake us...We know this in out hearts .. and as long as we never leave him he will keep us ...this is the promise of salvation .......but God never forces us to take it or keep it against our will but the flip side is we must
not leave him by choice/free will
or we have broken the promise ...
I believe our will becomes His Will...so it is not really a FREE WILL. If you walk outside the Will of God, youautomatically step into the DEVILS WILL. He will controlyour actions...although you may think you are doing it.The point I'm trying to make is...you are either under the influence of the Holy Ghost which causes you to submit to the WORKS of GOD or you are being subjectto the influence of the DEVIL and you are doing his works.In order to become an OVERCOMER...you must recognizeGod is working in you and you can't change yourself. Noflesh shall glory in the Lord. In other words, I can't take credit for what God is allowing me to do in the Kingdom.My works are filthy rags...but if I use the faith that Godhas given me to humble and submit to HIS SPIRIT...I cancount it all joy, when I fall into divers temptation...knowingthat God is counting me worthy to OVERCOME because Iknow it is God doing it.The Apostle Paul himself believed (correctly) that he was an overcomer, and just before he died, he wrote to Timothy saying in 2 Tim. 4:6-8, 6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.Yet earlier, Paul did not presume to have attained the crown of the overcomer. He wrote in Phil. 3:12, “Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on...” He was speaking of the prize of the high calling of God, which is the first resurrection, whereby one inherits immortality in the first resurrection, rather than in the second. Paul was not concerned about his salvation. He was concerned about being an overcomer. And so he had written earlier in 1 Cor. 9:27, 27 I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.As I said earlier...it's not about osas...it is about "QUALIFICAION."The work scriptures is about the prize of the HIGH CALLINGof GOD. It is when we submit to the SPIRIT and the SPIRITteaches us the LAW of GOD by the SPIRIT and not by theletter. In other words...God gives us the understanding ofthe meaning of HIS LAW by the Spirit.If we continue to submit, we will learn by the Spirit and in due time, we will QUALIFY for the FIRST RESURRECTION. If we continue by FAITH to humble ourselves, God will makeus PERFECT in the FIRST RESURRECTION, which is, giving usIMMORTALITY (life more abundantly) in the Tabernacles Age.Heb. 11:35 & 38 says,35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.We need to understand the difference between justificationand sanctification scriptures so we can put osas to sleep. Dowe want to press into the Spirit and QUALIFY to be a King anda Priest (HIGH CALLING), or do we want to just be a citizen in the Kingdom? That's your choice that you have to make withthe FAITH that God has given you.Logabe

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(farouk;68287)
Believers in Romans 8 are described as those who have no condemnation in Christ Jesus, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit".There's another way I am coming from a different corner of the big, wide room. I am not from North America originally, but I notice that some North American believers speak about the things of the Lord using words which are often used in American politics. This goes back at least to the era of the Jacksonian Democrats and popular speakers such as Finney. It's a big subject, but I guess that the ball park of Christian discourse in English is rather big. So from time to time I may end up not using similar vocabulary particularly since I still dont link my Christian faith with the language of US political rights, etc.(Just more [boring?] explanatory two cents..)
And you will get change back! You have know idea what you are talking about. Read the many posts I have all ready written in this thread. For one what is apostacy and who can commit it?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Logabe You need to understand we have different agenda's I'm not trying to prove what I know.... Im trying to show those interested what scripture says and where this is a wrong doctrine. Through scripture ..not in opinion... you want to make long copy and paste lectures on 2nd 3rd level studies withoput laying any ground work so. That few understand what you are saying...with all the Words aluding to some thing you have never explained ....To what purpose ? ...........We are not that far apart on this subject ..... we differ on some points ...like free will but then you fail to understand ... what your mens doctrine hasnt explained which is the problem you didnt learn it from the Word first ..so you cant fill in the gaps except by coming to wrong conclusions ... for the most part on many subjects .. I dont agree with at least 50% of your doctrine of men you copy or your conclusions ..and I have my own knowledge from God and his Words words...ONLY its not about me... at all its about helping others learn to understand on their own through scripture. So that they may learn it better with understanding. That means laying the ground work first..because I do this doesnt mean I dont get what your sayingI dont need your copy and paste lectures and most others can not even understand what you are saying half the time ..So you speak to the wind alot ...something we are told not to do ... I enjoy talking to you one on one but.. your copy and paste doctrine I hate.. its full of errors and opinions conclusions and meaningless words ... I glance over it and ignore it along with others most of the time ... However that doesnt mean I dont get what you are saying I understand there can be a difference between the Elect and the overcomers in the scripture and that Paul writes to all three (as in Romans 8) and that he writes/teaches on 3 differnt levels but going into all that in a long winded post helps know one understand. Only when you show the scripture and explain line upon line can most start to see what we are talking about so I take it a little here a little there step by step precept upon precept to much information is the same as no information when it can not be digested... Stop assuming because I dont over flood everyone with info and words as you do ....that I dont get it. As I said this site isnt about what I get ..Im not trying to prove what I know .Im trying to share it so others can understand itAnd your take on 2 Timothy 4:6-8 seems you are again putting your own spin on the Words drawing your own conclusions 6For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: does he say God fought a good fight and kept the faith????? No ..He says HE did 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.He is looking forward to his reward laid up in heaven ...arent we all ??? there is nothing said here by Paul that any Good Christian Warrior for God wouldnt say or feel ....He already knows he is of the Elect he was given Gods knowledge.. Yet he still says HE fought the good fight ..meaning he still had human temptations and free will ...... God can show the Elect his will but he does not take away the Elects freewill ...he trusts/knows the Elects freewill will be his Its why the unforgivable sin can be committed by the Elect.....one of those subjects you do not get

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Paul did all of this by his FREE WILL. What does Jesushave to say about this?John 14:10-11 says,10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.Sounds like Jesus as a man was giving the Spirit creditfor HIS WORKS. If they couldn't believe that He was in the Father and the Father was in Him, let the WORKSspeak for itself.Paul said in Phl. 3:9,9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:Looks like Paul understood it wasn't him...we have to submitto the Spirit and our WORKS will change. David said, not by power, not by might, but by my SPIRIT sayeth theLord. If God takes His Spirit from anyone of us...we will not serveHim. You can have ALL the FREE WILL you can muster up but... youwont have the ability to serve the Lord.Ask Samson if he could do anything after the Spirit left him. No way,and neither can anyone else. It is God causing us to do the WORKS aswe humble and submit by the FAITH, and that's not of ourselves, it isa GIFT from God, lest any man "SHOULD BOAST".I think Paul made it pretty clear that it was Jesus doing the WORKS andnot himself. Gal. 2:20 says,I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.So Paul is saying it really wasn't him but the Christ that was inhim, doing the WORKS. Sounds like Paul is giving Christ all thecredit.Titus 3:4-6 says,4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;It is about PARTAKING of the DIVINE NATURE and becomingone with Christ Jesus. No man can go to God unless the SpiritDRAWS HIM. John 6:44 says,No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.So...if God don't draw him...he ain't coming.Logabe

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You are talking apple and oranges smoke and mirrors logabe your verse's are about what .. No one has ever argued that we are to submitt to the will of God that goes without saying ... but that has nothing to do with proving free will doesnt exsist ... congraulations you prove God lives and works in all of us ... I taught that in Sunday school last week
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(farouk;68287)
Romans 8 in part is talking to 3 different types of believers the average everyday believer the Elect the overcomers all verses do not apply to all we must distinguish whom is being talked about just as the previous chapters talked of the two different kinds of sinners the habitual unbelieving sinner and the believer that sins ... You can not apply the whole chapter across the board to every believer....or will come up with a false truth .. the only way to make OSAS work is to apply verse's met for the Elect/overcomer to all and that is just plain isn't the truth ...The later part of the chapter can not even be fully understood without a knowledge of the first earth age and the Elect...so be cautious what you take from this chapter as applying to all