OPPOSITES

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, with 7 kids, mom dad and a grandmother...we really needed one, lol. And, horse drawn carriage?? now THAT's old school, hahaha! Also a tough one to find an opposite for!

Hmmmm...the obviously one would be an automobile...
Pullman Car
When I was 10 years I rode in one of these from Los Angeles to Oklahoma with my 12 year old brother. We were too young to ride with an adult anywhere else of the train. We rode with the Southern Pacific Railroad to Santa Fe, NM where we were switched to the Santa Fe Railroad, but we never had to leave the Pullman [a sleeper] for the whole trip. My mother drove the two of us from San Juan Bautista, CA to Los Angeles [about 300 miles]. Our father met us at the train station in Oklahoma City. A trip to remember. I remember my mother being concerned. She gave the Pullman porter a $20.00 tip in advance to watch over us. That was a lot of money in those days [1953].

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pullman Car
When I was 10 years I rode in one of these from Los Angeles to Oklahoma with my 12 year old brother. We were too young to ride with an adult anywhere else of the train. We rode with the Southern Pacific Railroad to Santa Fe, NM where we were switched to the Santa Fe Railroad, but we never had to leave the Pullman [a sleeper] for the whole trip. My mother drove the two of us from San Juan Bautista, CA to Los Angeles [about 300 miles]. Our father met us at the train station in Oklahoma City. A trip to remember. I remember my mother being concerned. She gave the Pullman porter a $20.00 tip in advance to watch over us. That was a lot of money in those days [1953].

Were they as nice as this?:
2f7c1685ecdb3ad91d9fb4a9f6750536.jpg

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were they as nice as this?:
2f7c1685ecdb3ad91d9fb4a9f6750536.jpg
Our Pullman Cars were sleepers with beds below and above like bunkbeds with curtains for privacy. During the day there was a place to sit but nothing like your picture. The Pullmans cost more than regular passenger service but to send us on a train without an adult in supervision considering our ages it was the only available option.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Pullman Cars were sleepers with beds below and above like bunkbeds with curtains for privacy. During the day there was a place to sit but nothing like your picture. The Pullmans cost more than regular passenger service but to send us on a train without an adult in supervision considering our ages it was the only available option.

There are a ton of different kinds of them I see. Looked them up just to check them out. The one I posted seems pretty posh :D
Back then, I can see parents being more relaxed about sending their children on buses, trains or planes...I don't think that kind of thing took place for decades now...unless the parent is not raising the child in "the way they should go".

Reactions: amadeus