Opra On Christ Consciousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The following is from an article at the LifeSiteNews website, quoting Opra Winfrey from her TV show: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/1980/30/8030701quoting Opra Winfrey...

"Jesus," said Oprah, "came to show us Christ-consciousness…Jesus came to show us the way of the heart…Jesus came to say, ‘Look I’m going to live in the body, in the human body and I’m going to show you how it’s done.’ These are some principles and some laws that you can use to live by to know that way"
She concluded, "I don’t believe that Jesus came to start Christianity."

"What Jesus said is much deeper than what you, how the church interprets it. There’s a depth to it. And it reflects your own depth when you read it. So there’s no conflict between this teaching, which is purely spiritual, and any religion."

Oprah also indicated that there are many names that one might give to that which she calls "God", including "energy," "consciousness" and "life."

The concept of "Christ consciousness" is a teaching from New Age Mysticism.

It is about the idea that we can become our 'own' Christ. And like she said, "there's no conflict between this teaching, which is purely spiritual, and any religion."

That kind of concept is declaring that we really don't need Christ Jesus and His saving work on the cross. It delegates our Lord Jesus Christ down to the role of a prophet only no different than Moses, Buddha, Krishna, Zoroaster, etc.

That concept DOES have a huge conflict with God's Word The Bible and the basic doctrine of Christianity, The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Declaring any other Way of Salvation than through the Blood of Jesus Christ upon the cross is a doctrine of devils.

What Opra has done is to reveal her alignment with the New Age Mystic movement which denies Christ Jesus as the only Way of Salvation. It is a means to try and get deceived people to denounce The Only Saviour Which The Father sent to save us, Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ.

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011
I have never been an Oprah fan but surely see her comments here to be representative of a lot of popular thinking these days which is everywhere..church goers often included. Very new age consciousness, very lassie faire, very "any road is okay", all lifestyles acceptable, maybe not faith based on works but faith based on "having a nice and tolerant attitude"..the above all, "be nice" policy..very gnostic in theme and purpose. And, of course, to many this kind of thinking can justify actions which do not line up with the Word of God. After all, everything is relative since this is 2011. Right? No..I believe that there are still absolutes and the Word of God in its entirety rings true. But, like Oprah..I am entitled to my opinion.

Seriously though...

I do agree with her that that Jesus did not come to start Christianity. Jesus came to fulfill the scriptures. Jesus came to save us from our sins by his death and to give us the hope of glory through His resurrection. And Jesus came to be the Way, the Life, and the Truth. The early followers were called "Followers of the Way". Before his conversion Saul (Paul) persecuted the Followers of the Way. The name Christian first came into use in Antioch by believers there. It spread.

Jesus said that he was that Way..And Jesus came to give us life and to give it abundantly. He also laid out the groundwork for what that would mean and prepared His disciples to carry it out "...upon this Rock I will build by church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." "Go ye therefore into the world teaching all nations and baptizing in the Name of the Father..etc."

It is easy for the new age advocates and fans to water down the Word and pick out the nice parts..there is so much nice there. But it all matters! Even the parts which don't line up with a contemporary cultural or societal standard.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Oprah Winfrey has been quoted more than once as saying that there are several paths to God.

Since that opinion runs contrary to Scripture but several people will believe it because they are Oprah fans,
her words will actually cause people to suffer eternal damnation.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Seriously though...

I do agree with her that that Jesus did not come to start Christianity. Jesus came to fulfill the scriptures. Jesus came to save us from our sins by his death and to give us the hope of glory through His resurrection. And Jesus came to be the Way, the Life, and the Truth. The early followers were called "Followers of the Way". Before his conversion Saul (Paul) persecuted the Followers of the Way. The name Christian first came into use in Antioch by believers there. It spread.

Jesus said that he was that Way..And Jesus came to give us life and to give it abundantly. He also laid out the groundwork for what that would mean and prepared His disciples to carry it out "...upon this Rock I will build by church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." "Go ye therefore into the world teaching all nations and baptizing in the Name of the Father..etc."

It is easy for the new age advocates and fans to water down the Word and pick out the nice parts..there is so much nice there. But it all matters! Even the parts which don't line up with a contemporary cultural or societal standard.

But seriously also, Christ actually DID come to start Christianity, simply because the doctrines of Christianity are DIRECTLY hard-linked to The Gospel. The word Christianity is just a name to represent those who believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

And what is that Gospel of Jesus Christ? It is THE Doctrine of Salvation, and there is none other that is true. This is why those who first believed at Antioch began to call themselves "Christians" (Acts 11:26).

Hopefully, Oprah will understand this difference before it's too late. If you like her as a person separate from her latest doctrine she has accepted (which is an ancient doctrine from Gnosticism), then pray for her understanding.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oprah talks about a lot of spiritual things that she does not really understand - I agree that her spiritual guidance/advice probably leads people astray

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011

But seriously also, Christ actually DID come to start Christianity, simply because the doctrines of Christianity are DIRECTLY hard-linked to The Gospel. The word Christianity is just a name to represent those who believe The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

And what is that Gospel of Jesus Christ? It is THE Doctrine of Salvation, and there is none other that is true. This is why those who first believed at Antioch began to call themselves "Christians" (Acts 11:26).

Hopefully, Oprah will understand this difference before it's too late. If you like her as a person separate from her latest doctrine she has accepted (which is an ancient doctrine from Gnosticism), then pray for her understanding.

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011

Just to clarify and restate some of my post least anyone would misunderstand my intention. The word "Christian" from which Christianity has been derived.. was not used UNTIL Antioch and not DURING the time Jesus walked the earth. But it is also important to know that the first Christians did not have the written Gospel which came later. And to understand that before they were called Christians they were called the Followers of the Way. But I certainly do understand that Christianity itself grew after the death of Jesus and was spread by His followers.

I also mentioned about Oprah's gnostic leanings which you can see in my post. If you read all of my post..you'll see agreement regarding the Gospel of Jesus Christ and salvation.. Just put in slightly different words. Thanks for the basic lesson on the Salvation doctrine..it always warrants repeating.

As for your suggestion to pray for Oprah..as mentioned before, I am not one of her fans and I have never watched her talk show....nonetheless I agree it is good to pray for her, as you say, "understanding".. Will you join me in that?

One more thought on this track..Many people call themselves Christian and in some way believe they are accepting the Gospel of Jesus Christ..but some are really Christians in name only. Jesus still calls others to become followers of the Way, the Truth, and the Life. in other Words.. just as He did when He walked on the earth because I believe that Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever.:)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Just to clarify and restate some of my post least anyone would misunderstand my intention. The word "Christian" from which Christianity has been derived.. was not used UNTIL Antioch and not DURING the time Jesus walked the earth. But it is also important to know that the first Christians did not have the written Gospel which came later. And to understand that before they were called Christians they were called the Followers of the Way. But I certainly do understand that Christianity itself grew after the death of Jesus and was spread by His followers.

The reason the first Christians didn't have the written Gospel yet was because they had It's DIRECT WITNESSES among them, and those witnesses would soon write it down for posterity. The name Christian is meaningless without the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is why Opra's witness of Christianity is a false witness, plain and simple.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This crazy devotion to the written word is misguided. Love is best learned through action, not a book. The Bible should be viewed a starting place for the Christian life - like learning scales on the piano. It's a book that contains the fundamentals, but if the information is not applied it is meaningless. No one goes to see a concert pianist play scales.

Reactions: pilgrimjo

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I'm a fan of the ancient Roman ideal of celebrity.

In the eyes of the Roman citizen actors and entertainers were at the bottom of the barrel. They held no great stature and definately didn't sway religious or political views or opinions.

How in the world did we all come to worship celebrity?

I personally don't care what Oprah thinks, and what Lady Gaga thinks of global warming means absolutely squat to me.

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011

The reason the first Christians didn't have the written Gospel yet was because they had It's DIRECT WITNESSES among them, and those witnesses would soon write it down for posterity. The name Christian is meaningless without the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is why Opra's witness of Christianity is a false witness, plain and simple.

I think we are on the same page in that the name "Christian" IS meaningless without the full Gospel of Jesus Christ. And even more meaningless without Jesus, right? ..but one last thing..it's Oprah, not Opra. :)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I think we are on the same page in that the name "Christian" IS meaningless without the full Gospel of Jesus Christ. And even more meaningless without Jesus, right? ..but one last thing..it's Oprah, not Opra. :)

I don't think you and I are on the same page at all.

The word Christian can never actually be meaningless, simply because it is a name hard-linked to The Gospel of Jesus Christ. And that's WHY those at Antioch were first to use the title. In its basic root meaning, it simply means 'a follower of Christ' (from the Greek word Christianos).

But what is meaningless, is how some try to misapply and misuse the title, applying false ideas to define it.

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011

I don't think you and I are on the same page at all.

The word Christian can never actually be meaningless, simply because it is a name hard-linked to The Gospel of Jesus Christ.
But what is meaningless, is how some try to misapply and misuse the title, applying false ideas to define it.

My brother in Christ..I think you had better reread your previous post quote below .

The name Christian is meaningless without the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is why Opra's witness of Christianity is a false witness, plain and simple.

Oh, my...You seem to be contradicting yourself. On one post you state.."the name Christian can never actually be meaningless simply because it is a name hard-linked to the Gospel of Jesus Christ..." and then on another post you state: " the name Christian is meaningless without the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. " I was agreeing with the latter statement of yours I just quoted. But I am certainly leaving the page..it's too confusing. :(

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
My brother in Christ..I think you had better reread your previous post quote below .

Oh, my...You seem to be contradicting yourself. On one post you state.."the name Christian can never actually be meaningless simply because it is a name hard-linked to the Gospel of Jesus Christ..." and then on another post you state: " the name Christian is meaningless without the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. " I was agreeing with the latter statement of yours I just quoted. But I am certainly leaving the page..it's too confusing. :(

I wouldn't go throwing a party just yet. What I said holds true, because I gave a CONDITION if you'd stop and read your quote from my previous post. And what is that condition I gave about the title 'Christian'?

SistrChristian

Jun 3, 2011
Wisconsin, USA
I personally believe Oprah is dangerous on many levels. The two areas of serious concern are the misleading of Faith and then politics. I’ll write sometime later in the politics forum, and for now resign to only Faith. Faith in what?

Oprah has mentioned God several times now in the last five years, and that’s remarkable that I know this considering I rarely watch her show. What I have noticed is that she endorses a lot of material that directly goes against the teachings of Jesus Christ, and I guess her viewers are none the wiser since she has never mentioned Jesus Christ on her show - that I’m aware of - until one of her last few shows, and still then I don’t think she referred to Him as Jesus Christ, but only Jesus. Anyhow… let’s just think for a moment here on something a little different: Much of what Oprah endorses isn’t proper or good for even people that are not, and will never otherwise be, Christian. Apart from the Holy Trinity, and specifically the teachings of Jesus Christ, it still amazes that many people either don’t know right from wrong, or simply don’t care; that’s pretty scary, too.

My conclusion on Oprah, and I’ve been acknowledging this using different resources for awhile now, is that Oprah may very well be Muslim (this also ties into her politics and those she endorses, too.) Muslim faith - like many other faiths - believe in God but only view Jesus as a prophet (they don’t refer to Him as Jesus Christ). Though the Muslim faith doesn’t promote prostitution, or homosexuality - that I’m aware of, so maybe it’s some pseudo form of the Muslim faith. Whatever she is I know from the teaching of Jesus Christ that she is not born again of the Spirit. I do entirely believe Oprah is an anti-Christ, and many will be led to their slaughter because she is their teacher and they put their faith in her teachings; which, are not of Jesus Christ.

As for the comments on Christianity itself… Jesus Christ never used the term, “Christian or Christianity, but all of us that are born again of the Spirit, follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, and have a relationship with God and the Holy Spirit, know full well that Christianity encompasses the fullness of the Holy Trinity. Those that comment otherwise surprise me, too, since the name of this very site is, “ChristianityBoard.” Are you wolves in sheep’s clothing, or just simply confused? Think on that yourselves, because as long as I know and have the Bible I’m aware of what I need to be aware of.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe Oprah is dangerous on many levels. The two areas of serious concern are the misleading of Faith and then politics. I’ll write sometime later in the politics forum, and for now resign to only Faith. Faith in what?

Oprah has mentioned God several times now in the last five years, and that’s remarkable that I know this considering I rarely watch her show. What I have noticed is that she endorses a lot of material that directly goes against the teachings of Jesus Christ, and I guess her viewers are none the wiser since she has never mentioned Jesus Christ on her show - that I’m aware of - until one of her last few shows, and still then I don’t think she referred to Him as Jesus Christ, but only Jesus. Anyhow… let’s just think for a moment here on something a little different: Much of what Oprah endorses isn’t proper or good for even people that are not, and will never otherwise be, Christian. Apart from the Holy Trinity, and specifically the teachings of Jesus Christ, it still amazes that many people either don’t know right from wrong, or simply don’t care; that’s pretty scary, too.

My conclusion on Oprah, and I’ve been acknowledging this using different resources for awhile now, is that Oprah may very well be Muslim (this also ties into her politics and those she endorses, too.) Muslim faith - like many other faiths - believe in God but only view Jesus as a prophet (they don’t refer to Him as Jesus Christ). Though the Muslim faith doesn’t promote prostitution, or homosexuality - that I’m aware of, so maybe it’s some pseudo form of the Muslim faith. Whatever she is I know from the teaching of Jesus Christ that she is not born again of the Spirit. I do entirely believe Oprah is an anti-Christ, and many will be led to their slaughter because she is their teacher and they put their faith in her teachings; which, are not of Jesus Christ.

As for the comments on Christianity itself… Jesus Christ never used the term, “Christian or Christianity, but all of us that are born again of the Spirit, follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, and have a relationship with God and the Holy Spirit, know full well that Christianity encompasses the fullness of the Holy Trinity. Those that comment otherwise surprise me, too, since the name of this very site is, “ChristianityBoard.” Are you wolves in sheep’s clothing, or just simply confused? Think on that yourselves, because as long as I know and have the Bible I’m aware of what I need to be aware of.

Oh boy.....

Well, I guess we agree on one thing; Oprah is as devoutly Muslim as Obama is....eesh

Reactions: pilgrimjo

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011

Please hear me out. I see that you are a newbie. So I apologize for any confusion anything I said has caused. Your question "Are you wolves in sheep's clothing." is just not called for and hurtful. I do wonder if you read my other posts on this thread. Of course I am a believer..a born again Christian..Trinitarian. Accepted Jesus as pesonal savior 57 years ago as a teenager and serve in a ministerial capacity in my church. I praise God that others here will not believe the implications you make by such a cryptic question...especially if they read the entire thread and not just my last replies. And since you said "wolves" I don't think this question applies to others on this thread either.

peace in the powerful Name of Jesus.