Original Sin - hard to believe

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

vectissian

Oct 20, 2008
Hello - I am new here.I was bought up in a Methodist manse and attended church regularly - until a couple of years ago.I am still a Christian, but I am finding it increasingly hard to accept the concept of Original Sin. I cannot accept that we are all born impregnated with guilt which arises from some primitive myth in the Garden of Eden. As a grandfather I look at my newborn grandchildren and cannot believe any God would be so cruel as to burden them with sin for nothing they have done. So if they die they are damned? I am now in my old age and facing illness. I have tried to live a good life and cannot believe I have performed any mortal sin. If I accept that Jesus died to redeem mankind of original sin - then why hasn't that redemption been applied?I yearn to believe but find this concept of Original Sin an impossible block to faith. In my darker moments I even wonder if it the concept is a man made device to instil fear and guilt to gain power over us.Please help.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
Try looking back in your entire life and try to find all the things God has done for you. You probably would of died a few time already if God was not involved. Even your grand chrildren are probably safe because of protection of the angels around them. We all are going to die. Hopefully we die with a personal relationship with the Lord and not just a belief. Try to get in to the word and start writing dailey your prayers and concerns.

Carico

Aug 13, 2007
(vectissian;61184)
Hello - I am new here.I was bought up in a Methodist manse and attended church regularly - until a couple of years ago.I am still a Christian, but I am finding it increasingly hard to accept the concept of Original Sin. I cannot accept that we are all born impregnated with guilt which arises from some primitive myth in the Garden of Eden. As a grandfather I look at my newborn grandchildren and cannot believe any God would be so cruel as to burden them with sin for nothing they have done. So if they die they are damned? I am now in my old age and facing illness. I have tried to live a good life and cannot believe I have performed any mortal sin. If I accept that Jesus died to redeem mankind of original sin - then why hasn't that redemption been applied?I yearn to believe but find this concept of Original Sin an impossible block to faith. In my darker moments I even wonder if it the concept is a man made device to instil fear and guilt to gain power over us.Please help.
None of us are gods. As Romans 11:32 explains, God bound all men over to disobedience so he could have mercy on us all. If God allowed us to be perfect, we'd never turn to him an thus couldn't have eternal life which only he can give us. So he allows Satan to entice us to sin so we will turn to Him for redemption. God already knows we are arrogant even with sin. So he's not going to allow us to believe the lie that we're God. So he humbles us.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
The Bible does teach that sin entered the world through one man. But, the Doctrine of Original Sin as taught by the Catholic Church is not one I agree with. You can take Adam as literal or as a metaphor. It's the same either way, the penalty for sin is death. It doesn't mean that babies are born doomed.If children are tainted from conception by sin because of Adam, then children are also graced from conception with the same grace that God had for Adam. People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(vectissian;61184)
The original sin was to Satan back in the First Earth Age. (Ezekiel 28, Isaiah 14:12-16) And Adam and Eve was the first one to sin in this flesh Age. (Second Earth Age)And no, Adam is not everybody's first parents. That's why we have been told in Genesis 1:26-28.

vectissian

Oct 20, 2008
My grateful thanks for guidance... there are several lines of thought here which I shall reflect upon.

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
All of us would eventually blossom into maturity, it takes time to bear fruit, fruits just don't suddenly appear.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(vectissian;61184)
Put it this way, we are all born with the choice to do right or wrong. Everyone will choose wrong eventually. No one can live their life from birth without ever sinning. All it takes is one sin to make you guilty in God's eyes. James 2:10 states that if we have broken just one commandment then we are guilty of them all. Meaning that breaking the law no matter how small the offense, still means you are guilty of breaking the law. One of God's commandments is "Thou shalt no bear false witness(lie)". Name one person that has never lied in their whole life? We start lying as kids and it goes on through our whole lives. Some more than others, but all lie at some time. SO, we are all guilty of breaking God's law and are in need of forgiveness and grace or we will not have eternal life with Jesus after death.However, if a baby or toddler dies he will not be damned. One has to rach the age of acountability where they know what sin is, and know that they have sinned, and that they need God's forgiveness to save them. Until the reach that accountabilty then they will not be damned if they die. However, that age varies on an individual basis. SOme learn sooner than others.Hope this helps you some. God Bless.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(SoldierforChrist;61297)
...One has to rach the age of acountability where they know what sin is, and know that they have sinned,...
I would like to point out that everybody has a different time of accountability... not really exactly an age part... I mean somebody can be mentally retarted and never able to reach an accountability.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(Jordan;61298)
I would like to point out that everybody has a different time of accountability... not really exactly an age part... I mean somebody can be mentally retarted and never able to reach an accountability.
Exactly Jordan. Thats what I pointed out in the end of my post. That age(or point) of accountability varies from individual to individual, and as you saaid, the mentally incapable people are not held responisble, because they are not mentally mature enough to understand. Thank God for being so merciful when it comes to stuff like that. He is truely a wonderful and loving God.

3rddaymessenger

Oct 17, 2008
(vectissian;61184)
If I may, vecticcian; The Spirit of God is in the earth to convict and convince people of their SIN (self-will and inherent propensity to do wrong). John 16:8 And when He (the Spirit of God) is come, He will reprove the world of sin..."In your quiet, alone times...reflect upon your heart and mind and see if God is not indeed drawing, tugging and convincing your conscience of your sin. Which Jesus paid the highest price for...for you to be forgiven and washed of.If you do not feel a sense of guilt before a just, righteous and merciful God, then just continue to wait upon Him. Salvation is in His hands. He draws, saves and sets free.This isn't something to intellectually try to figuer out. It is a heart to heart matter...between you and your Maker.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can I speak to you as one grandfather to another. I have four grandchildren and a fifth a month away. I do not have any concerns for the wellbeing of the grandchildren because I know that his hearts desire is that they should be saved. I know that my son's and his wife's hearts desire is that they would be saved.I know that all five can be saved because the price of sin has been paid at calvary so that you, I my children and our grandchildren do not have to pay the price of sin of any kind if we/they accept the sacrifice that Jesus made for us/them. Because Calvary covers all sin, being good is not an issue we have to contemplate. The worst sinner is a candidate for salvation. In fact they are more likely to know salvation because they know they have sinned. The "good" people usually don't. God's redemption is in Jesus. Knowing him will reveal the power and extent of that redemption. We don't get there by our own strength and works. We are accepted in Chirst the moment we are born again and that allows us to enjoy all God has for us as his children. Mortal sin is only an invention of the Roman Church and is not to be found in the bible so you can forget that idea. The only sin that matters is to reject Christ as Saviour. All of us go through periods of doubt, but we can use them to cave in or strengthen faith. I have had many but after 54 years of life in Christ, I am more convinced about the truth of salvation. I still have problems about particualr things, but I put them to one side until God gives me revelation about them. That makes them his problem not mine.I am too busy being a "Christ One" to worry about what I don't understand.

vectissian

Oct 20, 2008
My thanks to you all... all very helpful... and a special thanks to certain people who have really gone out of their way to help (it would be wrong to name them as everyone has said something of great value).. I can now see that my previously incorrect concept of original sin was to think of it as something that I was born with - like having blue eyes. Now I think it is something which evolves, maybe, more of a conscious act of denying Christ...Is there a difference between 'sin' and 'original sin'?

Carico

Aug 13, 2007
(vectissian;61339)
My thanks to you all... all very helpful... and a special thanks to certain people who have really gone out of their way to help (it would be wrong to name them as everyone has said something of great value).. I can now see that my previously incorrect concept of original sin was to think of it as something that I was born with - like having blue eyes. Now I think it is something which evolves, maybe, more of a conscious act of denying Christ...Is there a difference between 'sin' and 'original sin'?
No, we were all born in sin; Psalm 51:5, "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me."Once again, we were not born gods, except Jesus. And his conception by the Holy Spirit is what differentiates him from us because he was born sinless and we were not. No one chooses to sin any more than he prefers hell over heaven. So refer to my previous post in this thread to see why "God bound us over to disobedience so he can have mercy on us all."

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(vectissian;61184)
vectissian, Your's is a good question, but it is a question that is explained very clearly in the Holy Scriptures. Please meditate a little and see if you are able to understand. God made man perfect and gave him everything he couls ever ask for. God even made a woman perfect, just for Adam. The term CONCURSUS, means that God would protect and guide Adam as long as he obeyed God's laws. Adam would still be alive today if he had just obeyed God's law about the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Bad. God had loveingly provided Adam with everything, so it was not a very hard prohibition that God gave. The fact is, it was just a way for Adam to show that he wanted to obey God. All God asked of Adam was not to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Bad. When Adam decided to disobey God it showed that Adam did not appreciate what God had done for him. Adam became rebellious, also a thief. Adam showed that he would rather have Satan as his God than THe Almighty God Jehovah,who had created him. Once Adam decided to disobey he became imperfect, so when he had offspring, that imperfection was passed on to his children, Rom 5:12, Ps 51:5. Since Adam and Eve wanted to have Satan for their God, The Almighty God decided to allow them enough time to prove to themselves that mankind cannot rule himself, because his knowledge is too limited, Jere 10:23. God determined that time to straighten out things would be through His Kingdom, which Jesus told his disciples to pray for, in the Lord's Prayer, Matt 6:9-13. There are many scriptures that prove that we are NOW living in the time when Jesus will start ruling this earth, Matt 24, Mark, 13, Luke 21, 2Tim 3:1-5, 2Tim 4:2-5,,2Pet 3:1-4. There are 39 separate signs that we are living in the Last Days of this system of things. This number is a Mathematically impossible number to think of as a coinsidence. The Kingdom will do away with all things that bring unrighteousness, and bring in the Paradise that Jesus promised the evildoer that died beside Jesus, Luke 23:43, Rev 21:1-5. Jesus gave his life for all who would have faith is his Ransom Sacrifice. Christians today do not die because of the sin they commit today, but because of imperfection from the inherited sin of Adam. Because Jesus died for all who have faith in his name and Sacrifice, the great majority of those who have died will be brought back in a resurrection to enjoy a paradise earth, with the chance to live forever in it, John 5:28,29, Ps 37:29, Isa 45:18, 55:11, Gal 2:16, 2Cor 5:14,15. The term Covenant Theology, explains that all those who have faith in Jesus will receive the exact same promised that Adam could have received if he had obey God.

3rddaymessenger

Oct 17, 2008
(vectissian;61339)
The Bible says that "I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." Psalm 51:5Indeed, we are born with an inherent "sin-nature". Have you ever had to teach a child how to lie? Just watch a 3 or 4 year old when asked if they took that cookie....NO! not me!Because of the fall of man through Adam and Eve's transgression, mankind was separated from God, lost their "glory", and the process death set in.Now even though God has SOVEREINLY orchestrated everything...knowing the beginning from thr end, He also made the way back to Him through Jesus Christ. The very Word of God was made flesh and died for our sin, so that we could be BORN-AGAIN....regenerated and made one with God again.This is the program, brother, and the provided way of God. You must settle things with Him according to His ways and His provisions.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(vectissian;61339)
Original sin? Since Adam and Eve disobeyed God, God needed a pure bloodline for Christ to come through.Now scriptures says that ALL sins are forgiveable.Matthew 12:31-32 - Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.Mark 3:28 - Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:The only sin that is unforgiveable is the blasphemy of the Holy Ghost / Spirit. And it's not what most people think of anyway.Now as for Satan (the fallen archangel), he committed the first sin, way before Adam did (First Earth Age) And he is already judged by God to die the second death. (Ezekiel 28:18) Read the story of Satan. (Isaiah 14:12-16, and All of Ezekiel 28)As for Adam, while he committed the first sin only in this Earth Age (Second Earth Age) It's not exactly worse than Satan.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now scriptures says that ALL sins are forgiveable.
Except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(marksman;61409)
(Jordan;61350)
...Now scriptures says that ALL sins are forgiveable....
Except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.I said that in my earlier post. And it wasn't edited or anything.

Shadow

Sep 26, 2007
(vectissian;61184)
Man was born imperfect, God knew man would fall from eternity past, He not only knew it but planned it, Christendom has just manufactured the perfect way to pin the blame solely on mankind
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Rev 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, Rom 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. Rom 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
google L Ray Smith