Paraclete: Our peace and rest

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Preamble: This post assumes that you have the Paraclete dwelling in you. Otherwise, this OP would not make any sense to you. This is not some abstract theory but my personal experience, e.g., right now.

John 14:

26 But the Helper <Paraclete>, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Focus on your conscience and Paraclete and see if you can sense the constant peace of God.

Wiki:

Elevation is an emotion elicited by witnessing actual or imagined virtuous acts of remarkable moral goodness.[1][2][3] It is experienced as a distinct feeling of warmth and expansion that is accompanied by appreciation and affection for the individual whose exceptional conduct is being observed.[3] Elevation motivates those who experience it to open up to, affiliate with, and assist others. Elevation makes an individual feel lifted up and optimistic about humanity.
I can't identify with this elevation. What I sense any time and all the time is peace in the Paraclete, there is no elevation of feeling at all. No ups, no downs, it is just a flat sense of peace, like right now in me.

Paul explains in Ephesians 2:

13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,
peace in the Paraclete, not in the OT laws

16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.
peace with God

17 And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father.
i.e., the Paraclete.

What is the true Sabbath rest?

Col 2:

16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
The true Sabbath rest is found in Christ.

How to sense this peace/rest?

The Paraclete dwells in my human spirit which is in touch with my faculty of conscience. Conscience and emotion are two different faculties/departments. Emotion is close to the flesh. Conscience is close to the spirit. They are rather far away from each other. Do not mistake your human feelings as peace of the Paraclete.

This constant peace does not originate from your heart or mind, Philippians 4:

7 the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Jesus says in Mat 11:

28 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Rest in a gentle and lowly spirit and soul. I am talking about constant peace and rest, not elation, the sense of quiet peace from your conscience, and not the feeling of peace from your emotions. It may take some practice before you can tell the difference between the two. In the meantime, try How to get closer to God and grow in faith.