Is it a sin to wear cosmetics?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think so. David eulogized Saul in 2 Samuel 1:

24 You daughters of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you luxuriously in scarlet, who put ornaments of gold on your apparel.
Solomon praised his bride in Song of Solomon 4:

9 You have captivated my heart, my sister, my bride; you have captivated my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace.
Jeremiah asked some rhetorical questions in 2:

32 Can a virgin forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? Yet my people have forgotten me days without number.
There are times when a woman legitimately puts on makeup.

A better question is this: When will it become sin?

Modesty is key, 1 Timothy 2:

9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.
Focus is another, 1 Peter 3:

3 “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”
These two keys can be applied to what kinds of clothes to wear. Let your conscience and the peace of the Paraclete guide you.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These guys wear a LOT of cosmetics.

1395034183000-AP-Music-Kiss.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TonyChanYT and Debp

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is it a sin to wear cosmetics?​

is it a sin to wear nothing?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is it a sin to wear cosmetics?​

is it a sin to wear nothing?

Just because you live in the sticks with nobody to scare with your bare butt, does not mean that you should push for wearing nothing.

As for not wearing cosmetics, I am all for it, especial for my wife, as it a big cost saving.

• Haha
Reactions: quietthinker

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just because you live in the sticks with nobody to scare with your bare butt, does not mean that you should push for wearing nothing.

As for not wearing cosmetics, I am all for it, especial for my wife, as it a big cost saving.
When my kids were younger we'd mash up ochre stones and they'd paint up like natives. It didn't cost anything either and they loved it. I guess the Masai did too.
Either way, I get a sense of admiration for women who have the courage to step outside of the society's obsession with wearing face paint and don't feel 'undressed' if they don't

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so. David eulogized Saul in 2 Samuel 1:

Solomon praised his bride in Song of Solomon 4:

Jeremiah asked some rhetorical questions in 2:

There are times when a woman legitimately puts on makeup.

A better question is this: When will it become sin?

Modesty is key, 1 Timothy 2:

Focus is another, 1 Peter 3:

These two keys can be applied to what kinds of clothes to wear. Let your conscience and the peace of the Paraclete guide you.
I think of sin as breaking a commandment. There are a lot of things we shouldn't do that I wouldn't classify as "sin." Wearing cosmetics might be one.