Passover vs Eucharist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hence it could not be the Eucharistic tradition passed down from man. Because the Eucharist is food which dies.

Dear Eternally Grateful,

You are incorrect. The Eucharist is the Living Bread come down from heaven. It is Christ Himself.
Christ died once and now lives forever! Alleluia!

And this one Bread and one Cup, given to the apostles, by Christ, has indeed been faithfully passed down ,from one generation to the next, through the Church!

It is both the sign and the instrument of our unity,

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Because the life sustaining food will never die. You will never hnger or thirst, but live forever. -

Amen!

So why does your traditional sacrament not teach this

Of course it does! That is why you may have heard it called 'the medicine of immortality'

why do you keep eating of this flesh which will never die?

A bride need only receive her groom once to consumate a marriage, but it would be a cold marriage indeed did she never receive him again....

You too! are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well. I would say it is reliant on our High Priest, Jesus Himself.
But as for ordaining priests, youll have to take it up with Jesus. He's the one that established that system through the apostles, as you will find in every apostolic community.
For this reason I left you in Crete so that you might set right what remains to be done and appoint presbyters in every town, as I directed you,

Peace!

A priest is not a presbyter. In the list of roles in the church,

28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
1 Cor 12:28

However you work teachers into priests, they are not part of this list.
But with the idea of sacraments of life to justify the believer to be acceptable to God, then you need the administer of these sacraments. These steps are simple to understand, like the tradition of being monks, shutting down life into daily tasks without much interaction, is not the holy cleansed walk Jesus had in mind. The idea the Holy Spirit would inspire believers to praise and create expressions of praise and worship outside the hierarchy and control of the group, is just too much.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again - the food He gave us endures FOREVER in the Person of Christ in Heaven.
I'm not sure why you can't accept this or why you're having trouble understanding that He is Eternal.
Thats not what Jesus said

He said whoever eats of that food which endures forever will never hunger never thirst, live forever. Has eternal life. and will never die

I am not sure why you can not accept his promise. and understanding

Jesus did not promise he would be eternal. His promise was who ever partook of him, would live as long as he lives

As for your total lack of understanding of John 6:63 - let's review . . .
John 6:63

"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

YOUR blunder is that you actually believe that Jesus is talking about HIS flesh here - and that HIS flesh profits "nothing".
Jesus' flesh and blood profits us EVERYTHING, as it was the sacrifice of His flesh that paid for the SINS of the world.

To properly understand this verse - you need to look at ALL of the verses leading up to it. Jesus was telling an UNBELIEVING crown that they need to eat (trogo) His flesh and drink His blood in order to have Life. He went onto say that His flesh was TRUE FOOD and His blood was TRUE DRINK (John 6:55). He told the crowd: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day" (John 6:44).

By the time we get to verse 63 - the crown is just about ready to walk away from Him. THIS is where He tells them that they are thinking with fleshly human logic instead of spiritual logic from above. Christ was trying to
He wasn't telling the crowd that HIS FLESH didn't profit them.
He was telling them that their FLESHLY THINKING didn't profit them.

THIS is why He says right after this:
John 6:64-65
"But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him. And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

This truth had not yet been revealed to them by the Father, so they could ONLY use their fleshly minds to discern it.

As we know - in the very next verse (John 6:66) - they abandoned Him and returned to their former way of life.
Did Jesus try to stop them to say, "Hey - I was just speaking metaphorically! Let me explain!"

NO. He turns to the Twelve and says: "Do you ALSO want to leave?" (John 6:67).
Peter speaks for ALL of them when he responds with. "Master, to whom shall we go. You have the words of eternal life" (John 6:68).

They didn't quite understand either - but they TRUSTED in Him.
MOST of His followers abandoned him that day for the SAME reasons YOU are arguing because they leaned on their OWN understanding instead of relying on God's (Prov. 3:5-6).
Before you try to teach, You should learn to listen.

You just spouted about symbolism. And yet you ignore the symbolic aspect of the message. They symbolic aspect is the bread, the flesh and the blood. Jesus is not saying eat my literal flesh and blood. They were symbolic.

Jesus said the truth, the flesh and blood represent his words. which is the true food which endures forever. Remember, the word is called the bread of life.

32 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”
53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.”

The fact is, The Eucharist does not promise any of the things highlighted here.

Now if you said one could partake of the flesh and blood. and they at moment wouLD NEVER HUNGER NEVER THIRST, WILL NOT DIE, WILL LIVE FOREVER, Then I could see them being the same, but since no one is guaranteed any of those things when taking the eucharist. I must reject it as being the bread from heaven.

The true bread is as Peter Acknowledge The words. As Jesus said, the WORDS I speak are SPIRIT, and they are LIFE

Jesus is telling the people. GNAW on the word. Don;t just taste it, Take your time, EAT AND DRINK ALL.. DO this, and come to believe in him and you will have all these things promised

Do not do this, or do not believe, and you will be like Judas and the others who did not believe, and have no life in you.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Eternally Grateful,

You are incorrect. The Eucharist is the Living Bread come down from heaven. It is Christ Himself.
Christ died once and now lives forever! Alleluia!

And this one Bread and one Cup, given to the apostles, by Christ, has indeed been faithfully passed down ,from one generation to the next, through the Church!

It is both the sign and the instrument of our unity,

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Amen!

Of course it does! That is why you may have heard it called 'the medicine of immortality'

A bride need only receive her groom once to consumate a marriage, but it would be a cold marriage indeed did she never receive him again....

You too! are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Dear Phillip James

If this was true Then I would not partake of the eucharist like rhe jews partook manna and died.

I would do as Jesus said, I would eat it, and live forever. never having hunger again

The eucharist does not promise this. So I can not see it as you say

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats not what Jesus said
He said whoever eats of that food which endures forever will never hunger never thirst, live forever. Has eternal life. and will never die
I am not sure why you can not accept his promise. and understanding
Jesus did not promise he would be eternal. His promise was who ever partook of him, would live as long as he lives
Before you try to teach, You should learn to listen.

You just spouted about symbolism. And yet you ignore the symbolic aspect of the message. They symbolic aspect is the bread, the flesh and the blood. Jesus is not saying eat my literal flesh and blood. They were symbolic.

Jesus said the truth, the flesh and blood represent his words. which is the true food which endures forever. Remember, the word is called the bread of life.

32 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”
53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.”

The fact is, The Eucharist does not promise any of the things highlighted here.

Now if you said one could partake of the flesh and blood. and they at moment wouLD NEVER HUNGER NEVER THIRST, WILL NOT DIE, WILL LIVE FOREVER, Then I could see them being the same, but since no one is guaranteed any of those things when taking the eucharist. I must reject it as being the bread from heaven.

The true bread is as Peter Acknowledge The words. As Jesus said, the WORDS I speak are SPIRIT, and they are LIFE

Jesus is telling the people. GNAW on the word. Don;t just taste it, Take your time, EAT AND DRINK ALL.. DO this, and come to believe in him and you will have all these things promised

Do not do this, or do not believe, and you will be like Judas and the others who did not believe, and have no life in you.
And once again - you fail to understand that Scripture is both literal AND metaphorical.

As I showed you earlier - right in the middle of His sermon on the Bread of Life Discourse, Jesus switches terminologies on us. He goes from talking about human eating (phagon) to the way an animal rips apart his food (trogon). He does this to drive home His point.

Belief in the Real Presence in the Eucharist is NOT a belief that we are eating tissue and veins and fat. Jesus presented the SACRAMENTAL prescription for consuming the Lamb of God at the Last Supper.
Just as the Jews were to consume the Paschal Lamb - it is ALSO true for Christians in regards to the Lamb of God. He is the FULFILLMENT of the Passover Lamb.

We EAT His flesh in a Sacramental way which is BOTH physical AND spiritual.
The ramifications are SPIRITUAL - and that is what He is talking about when He says that we will never hunger or thirst.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And once again - you fail to understand that Scripture is both literal AND metaphorical.

As I showed you earlier - right in the middle of His sermon on the Bread of Life Discourse, Jesus switches terminologies on us. He goes from talking about human eating (phagon) to the way an animal rips apart his food (trogon). He does this to drive home His point.

Belief in the Real Presence in the Eucharist is NOT a belief that we are eating tissue and veins and fat. Jesus presented the SACRAMENTAL prescription for consuming the Lamb of God at the Last Supper.
Just as the Jews were to consume the Paschal Lamb - it is ALSO true for Christians in regards to the Lamb of God. He is the FULFILLMENT of the Passover Lamb.

We EAT His flesh in a Sacramental way which is BOTH physical AND spiritual.
The ramifications are SPIRITUAL - and that is what He is talking about when He says that we will never hunger or thirst.
I have not failed to do anything. You have

Jesus said whoever eats WILL (not might) receive those things.

Never die is not a metaphrical term it is a promise
Live forever it not a metaphorical term it is a promise
To never hunger or thirst are not metaphrical. they are promises
To HAVE eternal ife and be PROMISED that he will raise you from the dead. again, Not metaphorical but promises

Jesus was not being metaphorical. He made a promise to those people. and to us

He compared it to the MANNA which people ate every day (but one) and had to continue to eat because the food did not endure forever. They if you stopped eating, yuo will die. No assurances and no promise of anything Jesus said in John 6.

Unlike manna, He said we can eat (once) and once we do. We will receive those promises.

You want to symbolise promises. Go ahead.

Me? I will take Jesus at his word

So unless you can show me how me taking the Eucharist will guarantee I am assured those things.

I will continue to KNOW the Eucharist is not what the church claims it is.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not failed to do anything. You have

Jesus said whoever eats WILL (not might) receive those things.

Never die is not a metaphrical term it is a promise
Live forever it not a metaphorical term it is a promise
To never hunger or thirst are not metaphrical. they are promises
To HAVE eternal ife and be PROMISED that he will raise you from the dead. again, Not metaphorical but promises

Jesus was not being metaphorical. He made a promise to those people. and to us

He compared it to the MANNA which people ate every day (but one) and had to continue to eat because the food did not endure forever. They if you stopped eating, yuo will die. No assurances and no promise of anything Jesus said in John 6.

Unlike manna, He said we can eat (once) and once we do. We will receive those promises.

You want to symbolise promises. Go ahead.

Me? I will take Jesus at his word

So unless you can show me how me taking the Eucharist will guarantee I am assured those things.

I will continue to KNOW the Eucharist is not what the church claims it is.
Never die, or thirst or hunger are all SPIRITUAL consequences.
It DOESN'T mean that you will never physically eat or drink or die. That's what I meant when I said you FAILED to understand.

Jesus compared the Eucharist to manna because manna was purely for the PHYSICAL well-being of the Israelites.
The Eucharist is for our SPIRITUAL well-being. BIG difference.

I'm not "symbolizing" His promises. If anything - it is you Protestants who do this by calling the Eucharist a mere "symbol".
I promise you - the 1st century Church did NOT:

Ignatius of Antioch

Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that THE EUCHARIST IS THE FLESH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2-7:1 [A.D. 110]).

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This comment is off-topic, but I seriously think it's something that needs
saying from time to time.

Internet forums have given many of Christ's obscure followers a convenient
venue for sharing their time-won knowledge and experience with a
worldwide audience. For the world's sake, I highly recommend making an
effort to compose legible posts; neatly arranged, sensible, coherent, and
tidy.

Excessive bolding, underscoring, and italics, lack of adequate paragraphing,
twitter spelling, unnecessary emogies, horrible grammar, confusing mixtures
of fonts and colors, and/or shouting with caps and oversize letters, makes
for tiresome clutter and annoying graffiti that leave a bad impression.

Some people's posts resemble the obnoxious placards of worked-up
protesters and political activists; yelling, shrieking, and sometimes even
spraying spittle. They are beyond reason and objectivity in their desperation
to be taken seriously. Apparently they assume that if only they shout loud
enough, make themselves annoying enough, and hold out long enough;
maybe they'll get their point across and somebody will finally listen.

I rather suspect that some people regard forums as a canvas for painting
their comments instead of composing them. Well; that might be okay for
outsiders, they can be as messy as they want because their comments don't
matter anyway. But for those of us who honestly believe ourselves to be
representing God's son; it's unacceptable because it reflects on Christ and
makes him look like his followers are desperate kooks.

"Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ."

"And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to
everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must
gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading
them to a knowledge of the truth" (2Tim 2:24-26)
_

Reactions: marks

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never die, or thirst or hunger are all SPIRITUAL consequences.
It DOESN'T mean that you will never physically eat or drink or die. That's what I meant when I said you FAILED to understand.

Your right

I will die physically,

What it means is I will NEVER die spiritually.

Which means my eternal life is guaranteed.

Jesus compared the Eucharist to manna because manna was purely for the PHYSICAL well-being of the Israelites.

No jesus compaired manna as physical food. Which one eats and still will die. Remember the people came looking for food. WHo told them to not work for food which perishes but food wheihc will endure to eternal life. That one can eat and not die (spiritually)

The Eucharist is for our SPIRITUAL well-being. BIG difference.
Yet it does not give you what God promised.. So it can not be the flesh he is talking about

I'm not "symbolizing" His promises. If anything - it is you Protestants who do this by calling the Eucharist a mere "symbol".
I promise you - the 1st century Church did NOT:

Ignatius of Antioch

Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that THE EUCHARIST IS THE FLESH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2-7:1 [A.D. 110]).

Do me a favor. Do not post history to me, All that does is prove you are followers of men, If you want to talk to me use the word of God. The ONLY inspired writtings we can trust.

You are spiritualizing all the promise Jesus made to ALL who eat the food he came to give,

You are saying eternal life does not mean eternal life
Never dying does not really mean you will never die
Live forever does not literally mean you will live spiritually forever
Never again hungering or thirsting for spiritual food which endures to eternal life. to you, you spiritualise it
The promise to be resurrected, and not delivered to him, for judgment is symbolic and Jesus did not really mean what he said,

It is not us who are misinterpreting what the literal word says my friend

Now you can show me where the Eucharist ASSURES all who partake of it EVERYTHING Jesus promised

Or you just prove to me that I can not see it your way.[/quote][/QUOTE]

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right
I will die physically,
What it means is I will NEVER die spiritually.
Which means my eternal life is guaranteed.
Sure - as long as you remain faithful and don't fall away (Matt. 7:19-23, Matt. 10:22, Matt. 24:13, Matt. 25:31–46, John 15:1-6, Rom. 11:22, 1 Cor. 9:27, 1 Cor. 4:4, 1 Tim. 4:1, Heb. 3:6, Heb. 3:12-14, Heb 6:4-6, Heb. 10:26-27, 2 Pet. 3:17, 1 John 2:24, 1 John 5:13, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 22:19)
No jesus compaired manna as physical food. Which one eats and still will die. Remember the people came looking for food. WHo told them to not work for food which perishes but food wheihc will endure to eternal life. That one can eat and not die (spiritually)
What's wrong with you?? That's exactly what I said.

Manna was for their PHYSICAL well-being.
the Eucharist is for our SPIRITUAL well-being.
Yet it does not give you what God promised.. So it can not be the flesh he is talking about
Huh??
Pay attention. READ my statement above . . .
Do me a favor. Do not post history to me, All that does is prove you are followers of men, If you want to talk to me use the word of God. The ONLY inspired writtings we can trust.

You are spiritualizing all the promise Jesus made to ALL who eat the food he came to give,

You are saying eternal life does not mean eternal life
Never dying does not really mean you will never die
Live forever does not literally mean you will live spiritually forever
Never again hungering or thirsting for spiritual food which endures to eternal life. to you, you spiritualise it

The promise to be resurrected, and not delivered to him, for judgment is symbolic and Jesus did not really mean what he said,

It is not us who are misinterpreting what the literal word says my friend

Now you can show me where the Eucharist ASSURES all who partake of it EVERYTHING Jesus promised

Or you just prove to me that I can not see it your way.
By posting Church history - I'm showing you what the Early Church taught and believed.

As for the rest of what you are claiming I said - you are LYING.
I FULLY believe that my soul won't won't hunger or thirst because I have Christ in the Eucharist.
I FULLY believe that I will live forever with Him.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure - as long as you remain faithful and don't fall away (Matt. 7:19-23, Matt. 10:22, Matt. 24:13, Matt. 25:31–46, John 15:1-6, Rom. 11:22, 1 Cor. 9:27, 1 Cor. 4:4, 1 Tim. 4:1, Heb. 3:6, Heb. 3:12-14, Heb 6:4-6, Heb. 10:26-27, 2 Pet. 3:17, 1 John 2:24, 1 John 5:13, Rev. 3:5, Rev. 22:19)

What's wrong with you?? That's exactly what I said.

Manna was for their PHYSICAL well-being.
the Eucharist is for our SPIRITUAL well-being.

Huh??
Pay attention. READ my statement above . . .

By posting Church history - I'm showing you what the Early Church taught and believed.

As for the rest of what you are claiming I said - you are LYING.
I FULLY believe that my soul won't won't hunger or thirst because I have Christ in the Eucharist.
I FULLY believe that I will live forever with Him.
Nope.
Jesus did not say as long as we remain faithfull

there is one requirement in john 6 to eat the bread of life

Your making requirements that were never stated

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.
Jesus did not say as long as we remain faithfull

there is one requirement in john 6 to eat the bread of life
Your making requirements that were never stated
Wanna BET??

Matt. 24:13

"He who endures to the end will be saved"

Matt. 7:21

"Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord" shall enter the kingdom of heaven but ONLY the one who DOES the will of my Father in Heaven."

Matt. 5:13

You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

Remaining
faithful is KEY to our salvation.

Reactions: FollowHim

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to jump into the debate, just to ask a question . . .

Is this to say that the sacrament of the Eucharist need be received only a single time? Not saying that's ideal, just like the bride and groom who only come together the once, but should they not, that doesn't end the marriage.

The bread and wine need only be received a single time?

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wanna BET??

Matt. 24:13

"He who endures to the end will be saved"

Matt. 7:21

"Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord" shall enter the kingdom of heaven but ONLY the one who DOES the will of my Father in Heaven."

Matt. 5:13

You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

Remaining
faithful is KEY to our salvation.
Your not showing me in john6 where Jesus made a condition

instead you showed me where Jesus said endure to the end during great tribulation and your physical life will be saved

a passage where he shows that his true people, the people who ate the flesh and have eternal life, made new creatures are those who do his will (Ie, A descriptive passage, not descriptive)

And a passage about salt and the ability to draw the world to himself, and how we can lose that saltiness, thus stop producing fruit, but nothing about salvation

again, stick to John 6, if you can not, then our conversation is over because you can not offer me where Jesus told the very people he spoke to any possibility as to why what he promised can be lost

you eat food which endures to eternal life, that food sustains you forever, UNLESS that food,life sustaining property dies

you put to much focus on self, and not enough on the food, you want me to believe the flesh dies. Sorry bud, but I will Believe the flesh Jesus offers will die

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep no priest, no wafer, no cup

just the word of eternal life which peter acknowledged
You know, I'd never really questioned before whether Jesus was referring specifically to the passover bread and cup, making this an annual thing for the Jews. It's an interesting thought!

Paul makes it seem more like when we gather for a love feast.

I've found the more meaningful times of the Lord's Supper were in our small groups, passing a loaf of bread, full cups of 'wine' (I don't do alcohol), more than just a nibble and a sip, time to chew, to meditate, to share.

Much love!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your not showing me in john6 where Jesus made a condition
instead you showed me where Jesus said endure to the end during great tribulation and your physical life will be saved

a passage where he shows that his true people, the people who ate the flesh and have eternal life, made new creatures are those who do his will (Ie, A descriptive passage, not descriptive)

And a passage about salt and the ability to draw the world to himself, and how we can lose that saltiness, thus stop producing fruit, but nothing about salvation

again, stick to John 6, if you can not, then our conversation is over because you can not offer me where Jesus told the very people he spoke to any possibility as to why what he promised can be lost

you eat food which endures to eternal life, that food sustains you forever, UNLESS that food,life sustaining property dies

you put to much focus on self, and not enough on the food, you want me to believe the flesh dies. Sorry bud, but I will Believe the flesh Jesus offers will die

WRONG.

I showed you several passages of Scripture where the theme of enduring in faith was CONSTANT in Jesus's message. You tell me to "stick to John 6" - as if it is the ONLY place that Jesus speaks of eternal life and salvation.
YOU are a cherry-picker of Scripture. You need to take Christ's ENTIRE message in its proper context.

As for your final comment - you can believe whatever you want.
Makes NO difference to me if you reject Christ's message. that's between YOU and Him . . .

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not to jump into the debate, just to ask a question . . .

Is this to say that the sacrament of the Eucharist need be received only a single time? Not saying that's ideal, just like the bride and groom who only come together the once, but should they not, that doesn't end the marriage.

The bread and wine need only be received a single time?

Much love!

Hello marks,
Thats an interesting question. And perhaps even is the desire to receive enough if one is prevented from doing so?
I always forget which saint said this, one of the desert fathers i think:
' that which we desire in our hearts to do, in Gods eyes, its as if we have already done it. Good or bad.'

The discipline of the Church is that to remain in full communion we must receive at least once per year.

Peace be with you!