Paul's Reward

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9
14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Paul's reward wasn't found in preaching the Gospel, he was required to do that. Let us just say we are unworthy servants doing our duty is all.

However, that doesn't mean Paul was content to be without reward!

:)

1 Corinthians 3:14 "If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

He had already explained how we will be rewarded.

But he recognizes that God put a work on him to be accomplished, and it's no credit to him! So Paul's response is to say, OK, if that's the way it is, here's what I'm going to do! I'm going to work harder, do more, I'm going to pay my own way, I'm going to pay the way of the people with me, I'm going to give and not receive!

There was something else too.

Acts 9
15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Paul knew how difficult it was going to be.

Are we contributing to the work God does through us?

Much love!

@Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9
14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void.
16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
18 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Paul's reward wasn't found in preaching the Gospel, he was required to do that. Let us just say we are unworthy servants doing our duty is all.

1 Corinthians 3:14 "If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

But he recognizes that God put a work on him to be accomplished, and it's no credit to him! So Paul's response is to say, OK, if that's the way it is, here's what I'm going to do! I'm going to work harder, do more, I'm going to pay my own way, I'm going to pay the way of the people with me, I'm going to give and not receive!

Acts 9
15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

Much love!

@Waiting on him
Fascinating Paul’s reward he states is the gospel preached by him in no way costs those receiving.

as to the question are we contributing, I’ve wrestled with this for a long time.

Reactions: marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 17:5,10 KJV
[5] And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. [10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Reactions: Truman and marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9

Acts 9

Much love!

@Waiting on him
Sorry for the delayed post, worked night shift last night. Good post!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 17:5,10 KJV
[5] And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. [10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Maybe the take-away here is this. Whatever we do, make sure we're not getting anything from it.

Maybe the answer is . . . whatever God is working through us, He's doing that, but we can add our sacrifices.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the take-away here is this. Whatever we do, make sure we're not getting anything from it.

Maybe the answer is . . . whatever God is working through us, He's doing that, but we can add our sacrifices.

Much love!
How would you view all the billions raked in annually from the churches, and all the large salaries dispensed?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m certain that as soon as this thread is on the map lol, there’s gonna be a few that attest to their rights to make merchandise of the body.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would you view all the billions raked in annually from the churches, and all the large salaries dispensed?
I can't speak for others. But God impressed on me a long time ago that the Gospel is not to be how I make money. Maybe the safe thing to say is . . . they won't be receiving Paul's reward!

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9

Acts 9

Much love!

@Waiting on him

a few verses to consider Hebrews 11:24-27 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; [25] Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; [26] Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. [27] By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.

Hebrews 10:32-36 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; [33] Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. [34] For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. [36] For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Cast not away therefore your confidence, (put on the armour of light) which has great recompense of reward. -contrasted by Romans 13:12-13 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. [13] Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Luke 6:35-38 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. [36] Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. [37] Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: [38] Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Matthew 5:46-48 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? [47] And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others ? do not even the publicans so? [48] Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1 Corinthians 9:18-19 What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. [19] For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

Philippians 2:7-8 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9

Acts 9

Much love!

@Waiting on him

consider Paul’s reward with ‘they have their reward.’ Yet ‘lay up treasure where moth does not consume, nor thief breaks in to steal) The reward and recompense said not to cast away for you have need of patience. Wait for it. 2 Timothy 4:7-8 KJV
[7] I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: [8] Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Contrasted by the ‘they have their reward’ (now)the praise of men. What of the reward not wasted nor consumed nor spent (used up) sown in the Hope of Christ revealed(appearing)? 2 Corinthians 12:14-17 Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. [15] And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. [16] But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. [17] Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you?

Last edited: