Personification of the earth in scripture.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since God is definitely not His creation, that won't fly.
You are correct to say that the creation is not the Creator. But that is not the subject. The subject is not "creation", but rather "personification." And certainly, you did not mean to say that God has not created man in his own image. Or did you?

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Treating the earth as a person. The Bible does treat the earth (or creation) as a person: For the earnest expectation of the creature [creation] waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God....For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. (Rom 8:19,22).

Also Death and Hades are personified in Revelation.

That’s interesting, in that text my thoughts comes to the conclusion that all people are under pain and frustration due to the burdens the world can give to us sometimes, is that you take that scripture? But I don’t see the Earth as a person myself it’s the earth, land.

Some people use term like Mother Earth. It doesn’t bother me I just don’t really agree with the personifying like such.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was wondering if there is anything to the personification of the earth in scripture. Could it be only metaphor, is the earth a dead hunk of rock unable to react aside from Newtonian physics?

Deuteronomy 4:26
Isaiah 26:21
Matthew 24:6-8
Leviticus 18:28
Hi @lforrest

Literary devices are an area of interest for me, particularly their use in the Bible. I list the definitions of anthropomorphism, personification, and metaphor below so that their similarities can be noted, and that is exactly what their purpose is, to highlight similarities.

God has the power to create some-things out of no-things, and He does this by speaking them into existence. His Word is such that spiritual meanings are associated with material forms, and the one is understood by experience of the other.

As we know from Scripture, the natural man makes no allowance for things material to have a spiritual aspect, and remains ignorant of their association as a consequence.

Whilst we do not ascribe animation to objects that have no spirit, we do understand that in God's Hands such animation is possible, and that language can be used to create images of material things in order to communicate spiritual principles.

Pro 9:1-2 Wisdom has built her house, She has hewn out her seven pillars; (2) She has slaughtered her meat, She has mixed her wine, She has also furnished her table.

Three Major Literary Devices:

an·thro·po·mor·phism
(ăn′thrə-pə-môr′fĭz′əm)
n.
Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.
an′thro·po·mor′phic adj.
an′thro·po·mor′phi·cal·ly adv.
an′thro·po·mor′phist n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

per·son·i·fi·ca·tion
(pər-sŏn′ə-fĭ-kā′shən)
n.
1. The act of personifying.
2. A person or thing typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification: "He's invisible, a walking personification of the Negative" (Ralph Ellison).
3. A figure of speech in which inanimate objects or abstractions are endowed with human qualities or are represented as possessing human form, as in Hunger sat shivering on the road or Flowers danced about the lawn. Also called prosopopeia.
4. Artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

met·a·phor
(mĕt′ə-fôr′, -fər)
n.
1. A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in "a sea of troubles" or "All the world's a stage" (Shakespeare).
2. One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: "Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven" (Neal Gabler).
[Middle English methaphor, from Old French metaphore, from Latin metaphora, from Greek, transference, metaphor, from metapherein, to transfer : meta-, meta- + pherein, to carry; see bher- in Indo-European roots.]
met′a·phor′ic (-fôr′ĭk), met′a·phor′i·cal adj.
met′a·phor′i·cal·ly adv.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Hi @lforrest

Literary devices are an area of interest for me, particularly their use in the Bible. I list the definitions of anthropomorphism, personification, and metaphor below so that their similarities can be noted, and that is exactly what their purpose is, to highlight similarities.

God has the power to create some-things out of no-things, and He does this by speaking them into existence. His Word is such that spiritual meanings are associated with material forms, and the one is understood by experience of the other.

As we know from Scripture, the natural man makes no allowance for things material to have a spiritual aspect, and remains ignorant of their association as a consequence.

Whilst we do not ascribe animation to objects that have no spirit, we do understand that in God's Hands such animation is possible, and that language can be used to create images of material things in order to communicate spiritual principles.

Pro 9:1-2 Wisdom has built her house, She has hewn out her seven pillars; (2) She has slaughtered her meat, She has mixed her wine, She has also furnished her table.

Three Major Literary Devices:

an·thro·po·mor·phism
(ăn′thrə-pə-môr′fĭz′əm)
n.
Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.
an′thro·po·mor′phic adj.
an′thro·po·mor′phi·cal·ly adv.
an′thro·po·mor′phist n.

per·son·i·fi·ca·tion
(pər-sŏn′ə-fĭ-kā′shən)
n.
1. The act of personifying.
2. A person or thing typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification: "He's invisible, a walking personification of the Negative" (Ralph Ellison).
3. A figure of speech in which inanimate objects or abstractions are endowed with human qualities or are represented as possessing human form, as in Hunger sat shivering on the road or Flowers danced about the lawn. Also called prosopopeia.
4. Artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person.

met·a·phor
(mĕt′ə-fôr′, -fər)
n.
1. A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in "a sea of troubles" or "All the world's a stage" (Shakespeare).
2. One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: "Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven" (Neal Gabler).
[Middle English methaphor, from Old French metaphore, from Latin metaphora, from Greek, transference, metaphor, from metapherein, to transfer : meta-, meta- + pherein, to carry; see bher- in Indo-European roots.]
met′a·phor′ic (-fôr′ĭk), met′a·phor′i·cal adj.
met′a·phor′i·cal·ly adv.
Then I used the wrong word, anthropomorphism would have fit better with the concept I was exploring here.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
That’s interesting, in that text my thoughts comes to the conclusion that all people are under pain and frustration due to the burdens the world can give to us sometimes, is that you take that scripture? But I don’t see the Earth as a person myself it’s the earth, land.

Some people use term like Mother Earth. It doesn’t bother me I just don’t really agree with the personifying like such.
I'm picturing earthquakes as physical manifestations of spiritual turmoil. Storms, the same thing.

It's as though the earth has a tolerance for only so much iniquity then it spits out the inhabitants.

An automatic mechanism for God's judgement? Perhaps it is a word spoken to the earth to achieve his will. Just as Jesus told in the parable of the mustard seed.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm picturing earthquakes as physical manifestations of spiritual turmoil. Storms, the same thing.

G:4578, is usually translated as "earthquake" but in my opinion it is best understood to have the meaning of "turmoil." Have you ever seen an earthquake in water, but G:4578 is used in that example to describe the turmoil in the wave of the sea and it was this turmoil in the sea that made the disciples in the boat afraid. Your understanding of what G:4578 means is much better than the understanding that the translators are conveying.

Shalom

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@lforrest

This probably doesn't answer your question (at all) but just comes to mind. The Bible says God will destroy those who destroy the earth.

Rev 11:18

"The nations were angry, and your wrath has come. The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your people who revere your name, both great and small— and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

I don't know why I'm telling you that and I'm sorry, but there we go. I did.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

G:4578, is usually translated as "earthquake" but in my opinion it is best understood to have the meaning of "turmoil." Have you ever seen an earthquake in water, but G:4578 is used in that example to describe the turmoil in the wave of the sea and it was this turmoil in the sea that made the disciples in the boat afraid. Your understanding of what G:4578 means is much better than the understanding that the translators are conveying.

You said: it was the turmoil in the wave of the sea that made them afraid …makes me think of: Luke 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Luke 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

James 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. Ephesians 4:14

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's as though the earth has a tolerance for only so much iniquity then it spits out the inhabitants.

An automatic mechanism for God's judgement? Perhaps it is a word spoken to the earth to achieve his will. Just as Jesus told in the parable of the mustard seed.
Satan caused the natural disasters in the first part of Job in order to torment him. Only because God allowed it.

(The fire from the sky likely meaning lightning and the great wind is probably a tornado.)

But God has control over the weather.

At the same time the Bible uses the earth and God's design as metaphors and His hand is evidence of creation:

Job 12:7-10
"7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; 8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. 9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? 10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.

By observing nature we can learn God's wisdom -
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

Or Jesus speaking in Matthew 6, "Watch the birds..."

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is neat, never looked at it like that before. You know I guess it teeters between if God sends whirlwinds, and earthquakes and nations now today?

My thoughts are this. Natural occurrences of weather patterns happen, and in a sense a balance is played out with-in the earth. Because I see that the kingdom of God has came, and because God through Jesus has restored the world already back to himself.

All people live in this life, and it’s like when Adam and Eve where with God. All human beings are in the garden of Eden, and they will eat from the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil, or the other tree (the tree of life (Jesus))?

God desires for all people to choose Jesus over it all, God also desires for none to perish but all to come to repentance even after this life, I believe those are the ones out in darkness outside the city gates (having no faith) yet God doesn’t completely cut them off… they are his own creations when you think about it.

That is my own perspective, your insights are interesting though never thought of seeing the earthquake as a spiritual turmoil say the struggle between the flesh and spirit is and earthquake, or when you read the word of God and it hits your joints and narrow it’s like a shock from a lighting strike.

All depends on your view and how you play it out. And May God give the increase for all my brothers and sisters and may the spirit guide.

I do remember I believe pslam 107 ; hmmm… I thought I seen a scripture before where it is God who takes our life when our time is up… maybe it never existed… I don’t know.

Am getting tired and not sure what I’m talking about… if you have anymore insights please let me know, thank you.

God bless,
Matthew G.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our disrespect for our planet and the environment only makes it appear as if we think earth is a dead rock circling the star in our solar system.

Everything is creation of and from God .
God is a living spirit beyond our comprehension in his immensity. No thing is dead because all things are of and from our living God.

The earth always seems to be in motion. Though it doesn’t seem like it’s moving. It seems as thought it can recreate itself, that is very interesting though. Volcanos come active some become non-active. Yet everything sustain by Jesus Christ if you ask me now thinking about this…

He was the Word of God at the very beginning that created everything. In Hebrews it says he sustains it all by the word is his power in (the image of God) - Fleshly body named Jesus who cleaned not just believers sins but all the world, meaning for the unbelievers to! What an awesome God we worship!

“The Son radiates God’s own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭1:3‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“who being the brightness of the glory, and the impress of His subsistence, bearing up also the all things by the saying of his might — through himself having made a cleansing of our sins, sat down at the right hand of the greatness in the highest,”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭1:3‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

“who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭1:3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Alright you all take care, I don’t see Jesus sitting on the right hand anymore due to revelation but the Hebrews was written before all the revelation started to happen.

Anyway take care, going to rest and read the Bible,

God bless,

Matthew G.

Reactions: Pythagorean12

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Back when the internet was quite new I was in a Christian bookshop owned by an acquaintance who took me to his computer and showed me a website that had him intrigued. I found myself looking at hotspots all around the world on a map where natural disasters, weather events, and human crises were matched and correlated to iniquities and transgressions against God's Will.

The media consistently pick-up on such assessments from Christians, currently ridiculing believers in NZ who have pronounced the Covid plague a Divine Judgment for Same-Sex-Sin.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is anything to the personification of the earth in scripture. Could it be only metaphor, is the earth a dead hunk of rock unable to react aside from Newtonian physics?

Deuteronomy 4:26
Isaiah 26:21
Matthew 24:6-8
Leviticus 18:28

It's only metaphor.

The idea of personification of the earth is one of the vanities believed by primitive man, in their worship of the creature, instead of The Creator (Romans 1:25). See the book The Golden Bough if you have the stomach for it; I don't suggest it for everyone.)

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It's only metaphor.

The idea of personification of the earth is one of the vanities believed by primitive man, in their worship of the creature, instead of The Creator (Romans 1:25). See the book The Golden Bough if you have the stomach for it; I don't suggest it for everyone.)
The poetic licence employed in some verses is obvious . . .
eg.
Isa 55:12 For you shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Isa 44:23 Sing, O you heavens;
for the LORD has done it: shout, you lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, you mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD has redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Satan caused the natural disasters in the first part of Job in order to torment him. Only because God allowed it.

(The fire from the sky likely meaning lightning and the great wind is probably a tornado.)

But God has control over the weather.

At the same time the Bible uses the earth and God's design as metaphors and His hand is evidence of creation:

Job 12:7-10
"7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; 8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. 9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? 10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.

By observing nature we can learn God's wisdom -
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

Or Jesus speaking in Matthew 6, "Watch the birds..."
@FluffyYellowDuck God indeed allows certain things to happen in the world. While the Lord Jesus has overcome the world! (John 16.33)