Pick and choose from each religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
A high school student I was substitutuing yesterday said something like "I take all the good things from each religion. name a religion". A girl named Islam, and he admitted he didn't know much about Islam, then the bell rang.Could we please dicuss why this view, "pot luck religion"- choose the good, leave out the bad (or in essence, choose what you want), is not the way to go about it. Thx a ton!

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
A good religion is one that teaches love of others and self, and I can't think of a better religionthan the Christian religion, which equates God with man, and portrays God as a parent or father."but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world." Hebrews 1:2 (ESV)"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs — heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God." Romans 8:16-19 (ESV)"And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!' So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."Galatians 4:6-7 (ESV)

Elf

Mar 23, 2008
(beforHim;43709)
A high school student I was substitutuing yesterday said something like "I take all the good things from each religion. name a religion". A girl named Islam, and he admitted he didn't know much about Islam, then the bell rang.Could we please dicuss why this view, "pot luck religion"- choose the good, leave out the bad (or in essence, choose what you want), is not the way to go about it. Thx a ton!
Unfortunately even adults think this way, 2 Timothy 4:3, For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Gods Word has no religion there is no denomination it is a way of life based on the belief of Jesus Christ relgious denominations are created for men by men based on a set of believes and the way they interpt them Gods Word is the whole truth. God could care less what denomination you call yourself

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
This is a silly thing to do because there are absolute truths. You cannot pick and choose what you like because it is self serving, selfish. How can this student think they know better than God or even the people who wrote other religious scripture for that matter. The things he chooses out of these religions are probably only things that will be easy to get a long with to the world. I believe they call this New Age, but there is nothing new about it, it's always been around.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
People pick and choose what they consider the best bits of religions because it is pleasing to them. They then have a religion that tells them how good they are, that they don't have to make personal changes, that the way they are living is fine. They are making a religion that is pleasing to the ear. They don't want what Christianity has for them because they would have to own up to their faults and failings. This way they have a 'feel good' religion.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
I tried this when I turned from the faith but if you truly take only the good of each religion you will find that all but Christianity fall very short. I fought so hard against Christianity that God brought me back kicking and screaming, but with a better understanding of where the other religions got their beginnings and it isnt very flattering to any of them.

Telerea

Apr 4, 2008
There is no one religion or denomination that has an unequivocal claim on Truth. We just think we do based on our "correct" interpretation of collections of scribbles on a page that were originally written in a language that few of us even know.So, I agree with Kriss, and take the point one step farther with the help of a religionist (academic/non-theological/secular/comparative scholar of religion). According to William James (in 'The Varieties of Religious Experience'), any 'religion' that puts forward a worldview and cosmology that helps its adherents cope with life and help the other beings on the earth is useful and valid.If anyone actually knows enough about various religions (doubtful at high school age, but possible) and believes that they have cobbled together some sort of 'truth' and it encourages them to behave in a just and compassionate manner... why should I care if they use a different name for God, or if they pray to a goddess (Elohim in Hebrew is a plural and used as such in various locations, so why not pray to more than one deity), or if they are a pre-millennialist instead of a post-millennialist?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Wait Just a minute here I said No denominations but a belief in Jesus Christ this is a Christain web site one worldism all religion will not be tolerated here nor any god/ goddess garbage

Maveric

Feb 26, 2008
Seems to me that good lessons can be gleened from most religions. All of them contain certain elements of truth. That said, only one can be completely true. Jesus summed it up nicely with the words, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, and no mans comes to the Father, but through me."

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
If you deny His words you do deny Him. It doesn't matter what sex you think He should be either, what Jesus says on it is all that matters. Jesus was a male, the bible refers to the Holy Spirit as male and to God as male therefore we should pray to the 'Father'. Not some goddess and not some 'mother.' Either what the bible says is true for you or it is not. If it is not then you will try to change it to suit yourself. All you do then is make some feel good religion with NONE of the saving power and grace that is truly from God through Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Telerea

Apr 4, 2008
Sorry Kriss - didn't mean to misrepresent you.Queries: - how do you (collectively, not aimed at any one individual) know what Jesus actually said? The words recorded in the multitudinous English translations of the Bible are incredibly far from the original... and even that was written (at the most conservative) over a decade after the estimated death year of Jesus. - the 'Holy Spirit' - ruah - has a typical feminine ending for Hebrew. Hochma/sophia - wisdom is undeniably female and was around when creation occurred - she even helped! Also, how do you account for the veneration of Mary, the Mother of God (given that Jesus is Lord...)? - Did you know that if, at the moment of death, an adherent chants a name of Avalokiteshvara they will be reborn in the Pure Land? That's not salvation? - And if "no mans {I assume you meant 'man'} comes to the Father, but through me." Half the population (females) are in serious trouble anyways.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Telerea;45253)
Sorry Kriss - didn't mean to misrepresent you.Queries: - how do you (collectively, not aimed at any one individual) know what Jesus actually said? The words recorded in the multitudinous English translations of the Bible are incredibly far from the original... and even that was written (at the most conservative) over a decade after the estimated death year of Jesus. - the 'Holy Spirit' - ruah - has a typical feminine ending for Hebrew. Hochma/sophia - wisdom is undeniably female and was around when creation occurred - she even helped! Also, how do you account for the veneration of Mary, the Mother of God (given that Jesus is Lord...)? - Did you know that if, at the moment of death, an adherent chants a name of Avalokiteshvara they will be reborn in the Pure Land? That's not salvation? - And if "no mans {I assume you meant 'man'} comes to the Father, but through me." Half the population (females) are in serious trouble anyways.
Listen no offense personally but if you do not understand scripture is the inspired Word of God what are you doing on a bible study site? and you are taking things out of context and putting a slant on them that is not Christain its true, Wisdom is a female noun but that has nothing to do with God being a goddess we call huricanes, or ships "she" also and it doesnt mean they are women Wisdom is used in the same way. Futher more the bible says we are appointted once to die. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Your veiws seem to be a combination of Christainity, new age, agnostic, and I do not know what else. This is what we call a one world religion it is the religion of Antichrist and it is absoultly not allowed on this Bible study site we study scripture and belive the Word of God is the final and only authorityWe do not look to see how we can tear it down or allow false teachings to misinterpt it.

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
Kriss, once again, very well said. Telerea, dont be angry at the ways people are responding to you- see that we as Christians truly and wholeheartedly trust in the Word of God. Picking and choosing like the Universal Unitarians is a waste. To accept the "feel-good" of one religion and deny the "judgement" of another is useless. You either accept the Word as truth or call God a liar. You cant meet him half way in the middle. When examining the Bible- dont go about it like your out to prove something or find error, but realize that it is the Word that will teach you. Jesus told us all so very clearly- He is the ONLY way.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(Telerea;44902)
There is no one religion or denomination that has an unequivocal claim on Truth. We just think we do based on our "correct" interpretation of collections of scribbles on a page that were originally written in a language that few of us even know.So, I agree with Kriss, and take the point one step farther with the help of a religionist (academic/non-theological/secular/comparative scholar of religion). According to William James (in 'The Varieties of Religious Experience'), any 'religion' that puts forward a worldview and cosmology that helps its adherents cope with life and help the other beings on the earth is useful and valid.If anyone actually knows enough about various religions (doubtful at high school age, but possible) and believes that they have cobbled together some sort of 'truth' and it encourages them to behave in a just and compassionate manner... why should I care if they use a different name for God, or if they pray to a goddess (Elohim in Hebrew is a plural and used as such in various locations, so why not pray to more than one deity), or if they are a pre-millennialist instead of a post-millennialist?
Telerea, The statements of William James are nauseating. For one, where is the mention of Christ here? There is none, it is simply about man finding a comfort zone in "religiousness" without including the Word of God or the precepts of Christ. It justifies man to be able to live however they choose and feel good about themselves. Do you know how many people I know who say that they don't believe in Christ, but believe they will go to heaven because they try to be good people? And it is folks like Mr. James that helps them to believe they have gained the Kingdom of Heaven because they come together in satanic unity!We should care if there are different names for God that are NOT in the Word and we should most definetly care if someone prays to a godess vs God Almighty THE I Am! There is one God only and to pray to more than one "deity" is creating gods and worshipping idols. Do you truly buy into this false doctrine of antichrist religion? I am sickened by flowery words that cast shadows and attempt to erase Him...

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
My, oh my. Pick and choose the best of each religion. Like a spiritual buffet. Whatever suits our fancy. Typical philosophy of this bratty generation. There is no truth and everything is relative. Problem is, I found most of the so-called enlightened people (as they like to think of themselves) of this age the most subjective generation ever---- whatever they want to be truth to them and not seeing the ten-ton safe falling out of the window right at them. Why? They are too busy calling the people who are telling them to get out of harm's way bigots, close-minded or whatever.Spatula anyone?
biggrin.gif

Telerea

Apr 4, 2008
kriss;45266]Listen no offense personally [/QUOTE]Please said:
but if you do not understand scripture is the inspired Word of God
Inspired? Sure, not a problem with that. Literal and 100% true from a historical perspective? Not so much.
kriss;45266]what are you doing on a bible study site? [/QUOTE]Inquiring minds want to know what others believe and think (aka research). And it gives me a chance to better define my own theology (aka discovery).[QUOTE=kriss;45266]and you are taking things out of context and putting a slant on them that is not Christain [/QUOTE]How so?[QUOTE=kriss;45266]its true said:
Never implied that (at least not intentionally), but instead intended to encourage another look at images of a divine feminine figure.
kriss;45266]we call huricanes said:
Anthropomorphization is a powerful tool that often reflects the culture that it is in. The use of gendered pronouns in your example is nothing more than that.
kriss;45266]Wisdom is used in the same way. [/QUOTE]Not according to the commentaries said:
To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
See above. Also' date=' how does deep prayer, meditation, ecstatic worship, and near death experiences fit into this? How can one justify helping others how are still suffering in their bodies if it is in that form that they are farthest from God?
kriss;45266' said:
Your veiws seem to be a combination of Christainity, new age, agnostic, and I do not know what else.
You would be appaulled at how much legitimate overlap there is in practice for both Christianity and Neo-Paganism. As for my own beliefs - they are irrelevant in terms of exact details, and relevant only so much as they inform my inquiries here.
kriss;45266]This is what we call a one world religion [/QUOTE]Could you please explain this term ("one world religion")? Given how imperialistic the version of Christianity is that you seem to be espousing said:
it is the religion of Antichrist
Unless someone believes the exact same thing as you, they are a tool of the Devil?
kriss;45266]and it is absoultly not allowed on this Bible study site [/QUOTE]And further said:
we study scripture and belive the Word of God is the final and only authority
Where do you find compassion?
kriss;45266 said:
We do not look to see how we can tear it down or allow false teachings to misinterpt it.
The only things that I have any desire to tear down are those things that cause harm to others.To use something to interpret itself invites logical fallacies and circular reasoning.~~~~~Moving On~~~~~
Red_Letters88;45340]Kriss' date=' once again said:
To accept the "feel-good" of one religion and deny the "judgement" of another is useless.
Que? I think you should not have included the "of another".... Can you explain further?
Red_Letters88;45340]You either accept the Word as truth or call God a liar. [/QUOTE]Only if your base assumption is that the Bible in the form that was compiled and finalized centuries after the deaths of the apostles is the form that God wanted and has been transcribed without error.[QUOTE=Red_Letters88;45340] You cant meet him half way in the middle. When examining the Bible- dont go about it like your out to prove something or find error said:
When you (either individually or collectively) read the Bible, aren't you hoping to reinforce your own view of the world and how you (and others) should act within it? Isn't that going "about it like your out to prove something"?~~~~~Moving On~~~~~
"Jackie D;45354]Telerea said:
Why do you find them so offensive?
Jackie D;45354]For one said:
Why does there need to be? There are far more religions available to be studied than the thousands of denominations included in Christianity.
Jackie D;45354]There is none said:
A common criticism, although substantially different phrasing than what is found in academic discussion.
Jackie D;45354]It justifies man to be able to live however they choose and feel good about themselves. [/QUOTE]Not quite - it justifies behaving in a manner that is respectful to [i]all[/i] beings said:
Do you know how many people I know who say that they don't believe in Christ, but believe they will go to heaven because they try to be good people? [/QUOTE}Nope, do you?
Jackie D;45354]And it is folks like Mr. James [/QUOTE][b]DR.[/b] James said:
that helps them to believe they have gained the Kingdom of Heaven because they come together in satanic unity!
His audience is generally not exclusively those who would agree with either him nor you in terms of world view.
Jackie D;45354 said:
We should care if there are different names for God that are NOT in the Word
Read the original - Hebrew and Greek - let me know what you find. See if you can find a manuscript from the time when we believe Jesus was alive - tell me what you find.
Jackie D;45354 said:
and we should most definetly care if someone prays to a godess vs God Almighty THE I Am!
What business is it of yours who/what someone else prays/talks to?
Jackie D;45354 said:
There is one God only and to pray to more than one "deity" is creating gods and worshipping idols.
How does the Holy Trinity work for you? Is Jesus God? Do you pray to him?
Jackie D;45354 said:
Do you truly buy into this false doctrine of antichrist religion?
Does it matter what I believe?
Jackie D;45354 said:
I am sickened by flowery words that cast shadows and attempt to erase Him...
Flowery words like this last sentence of yours? "Cast shadows"? On what? "Erase Him"? Who? How? From what?~~~~~Moving On~~~~~Anything else?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
What your not getting here Telerea is this is not Christainity you are of course welcome to refine your views they are just not Christain and because of this we can not relate much to your views as they do not apply to Gods Word. The bible is 100% accurate in every single Word historically, and every other way You dont believe that your choice but we see it differntly. Just because you know some of the Words doesnt mean you get it