Please Help =(

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was born and raised im a Christian home, which Im very proud of.

How ever I fell away from my faith and I lost my path.

5 years ago I began taking things from a number of businesses ( but mostly 1 big box store) that did not belong to me, and over a 3 year span I collected roughly 25 000 or upwards of small items.

I have been selling it off slowly to turn a buck to help pay the bills since I am not doing too well financially (chronic medical issues)

I presently have about a dozen large boxes full and this is after I have already sold about 1/3 of my original supply.

I recently had some tragic event take place and I want to change and no longer be involved with this way of living.

I am wondering what is the best option for me.

I obviously cannot keep any of it, as it is not mine.

How ever, I do not see returning it to the store to be an easy option either due to the quantity and the fact that I can not handle any legal troubles right now.

So now, what do I do with this stuff?

Keep in mind these are small items, hundreds of them. Its not something I can drop off or even feel comfortable mailing to the store for obvious reasons.

I dont even have a car and I havent shared details of my horrible deeds with ANYONE so I have no one to turn to for assistance in any way.

If I told anyone I know theyd probably never speak to me. I come from a good family so Ive got no excuse.

Please help me do the right thing and clear my conscience, and do right by God.
Please no shaming! I already know I was wrong.
I just want to correct this as much as I can, with out throwing myself completely under a bus, so I can begin to move forward and start living for God, with grace and class.
TY

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Live by imagination, don't die for glory - it doesn't really matter who gets the product, as long as it is not you?

Just give it away? Or sell it and donate to charity?

I have prayed to the Holy Spirit, for you - let your spirit burn out for a moment, and then set your mind on God (He will give the answer).

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @sadone, first off, since I see that you are a new member, welcome to CB:waves:

As far as what to do right now, since you have created a bit of a pickle for yourself, my first advice to you would be to go and tell your pastor everything that you just told us (for his counsel, help and prayer).

Next, about 2/3rd's of the stuff that you've stolen is still in your possession, right? Why not take it back to the people who you stole it from :contemplate: That would be the right thing to do (return what's left, IOW):vgood:, and I believe that is what you should do, whether you choose to, 1. come clean and confess what you did or 2. remain in the shadows by keeping what you did a secret.

Quite frankly, you were able to steal a ton of stuff w/o getting caught, perhaps you can figure out some way to return what's left w/o getting caught too? (this is assuming that you end up opting for "Door #2" above, of course).

If you opt for "Door #1" above instead, with the promise of paying the vendor back for what you stole and sold over time/as you are able to, you will probably have a rough road ahead of you, but you will also be doing what I believe God would want you to do, including trusting Him with the outcome (come what may), which are two of the very best things that any of us will ever be able to do in this life (choosing to trust and obey God, that is) :)

Living for God (and having a clean conscience) means doing what you know is right (doing what you know will please and honor Him), you just need to decide what that is (and then trust Him with the outcome, whatever it may be .. e.g. Proverbs 3:5-6; Romans 8:28).

Again, talk to your pastor about all of this for his input/advice/prayers before making a decision .. cf Proverbs 15:22; Hebrews 13:17.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - this quote of Dr. Ferguson's has been helpful to me over the years, especially when I wasn't sure what to do next/not completely sure what God would have me do.

Be Obedient - Ferguson.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lambano and marks

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

5 years ago I began taking things from a number of businesses ( but mostly 1 big box store) that did not belong to me, and over a 3 year span I collected roughly 25 000 or upwards of small items.

I have been selling it off slowly to turn a buck to help pay the bills since I am not doing too well financially (chronic medical issues)

I presently have about a dozen large boxes full and this is after I have already sold about 1/3 of my original supply.

I recently had some tragic event take place and I want to change and no longer be involved with this way of living.

How ever, I do not see returning it to the store to be an easy option either due to the quantity and the fact that I can not handle any legal troubles right now.

Keep in mind these are small items, hundreds of them. Its not something I can drop off or even feel comfortable mailing to the store for obvious reasons.

I dont even have a car and I havent shared details of my horrible deeds with ANYONE so I have no one to turn to for assistance in any way.

If I told anyone I know theyd probably never speak to me. I come from a good family so Ive got no excuse.

Please help me do the right thing and clear my conscience, and do right by God.
I just want to correct this as much as I can, with out throwing myself completely under a bus, so I can begin to move forward and start living for God, with grace and class.
TY

Welcome to CB.

Look up the penalties for shoplifting in your state.

Retailers get tax breaks, write-off, for stolen merchandise. Lost revenue.
No, that does not mean you did the box store a favor in saving them on taxes.

Shoplifting has a domino effect on the store, employees, and the local consumer community.

Confession is good for the soul. Avoiding responsibility for your sin just adds another rock to that bag of guilt bricks you carry.

How did you get home with the stolen merchandise all those years?
Here's an idea that just occurred to me.

Did you ever see the book, a series of books later, entitled , Conversations With God?

Its author, Neal Donald Walsh, decided to write a letter to God. NDW was upset with all the bad things happening in the world and wanted to know why God didn't stop it.

God answered in what today is called automatic writing. God took control of NDW's thoughts and pen and began his answer.

Before you think that was Satan not God, consider we revere the Bible that was inspired by God.

So, why not confess your sin to God. Yes, God saw you stealing time and time again. The confession letter is an opportunity to channel out of yourself the pain and guilt you feel.

And then, a bit at a time return to that box store everything you took.
Just as stealthy as you took it. Security doesn't look for people putting stuff back.

Maybe even talk to God while you do that, in silent prayer.

God's will be with you.
Holding you in prayer.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there some pressing need to get rid of the stuff now?

Make it right? Make it right with God first. Find a good church to attend. Go there, worship the Lord, fellowship with Christians, get involved. Over time the Holy Spirit will show you the way. Trust in the Lord.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You're basically saying "I'm sorry".

Now go the extra mile, and say "Lord willing, I will be sorry for life" (that is, to the end of your life).

I damaged someone's car once, and I was really vexed about it: but someone damaged my car and I was happy to pay.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't rest in the shame too long as its very hurtful. Christ is about restoraton of self...learning to love self again. It's a process! The only way is to fill your life with Christ things...study his life daily and absorb him into your very being...in time you will feel the freedom!
PM me anytime if you need a private chat!
God bless.
F2F

• Love
Reactions: marks

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Live by imagination, don't die for glory - it doesn't really matter who gets the product, as long as it is not you?

Just give it away? Or sell it and donate to charity?

I have prayed to the Holy Spirit, for you - let your spirit burn out for a moment, and then set your mind on God (He will give the answer).

Thank you, this is something I could see myself doing (donating) the issue is, I feel awful just having this stuff in my possession. I am afraid to give it away or donate it because it is mostly cosmetics and so I do not know many places who would take such a donation (for good reason). I also would prefer to let it go anonymously since I live in a small city and I fear attention / legal consequences.

As I said, its quite a bit of stuff and I am at a loss as to how to even take it anywhere with out help.

I lost my vehicle one year ago in an accident and I am still saving for another =( So I am walking places, taking a bus or getting a ride from somebody I know.

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You need to come clean for a clear conscience and leave the consequences to be what they will be. There is no

Hello @sadone, first off, since I see that you are a new member, welcome to CB:waves:

As far as what to do right now, since you have created a bit of a pickle for yourself, my first advice to you would be to go and tell your pastor everything that you just told us (for his counsel, help and prayer).

Next, about 2/3rd's of the stuff that you've stolen is still in your possession, right? Why not take it back to the people who you stole it from :contemplate: That would be the right thing to do (return what's left, IOW):vgood:, and I believe that is what you should do, whether you choose to, 1. come clean and confess what you did or 2. remain in the shadows by keeping what you did a secret.

Quite frankly, you were able to steal a ton of stuff w/o getting caught, perhaps you can figure out some way to return what's left w/o getting caught too? (this is assuming that you end up opting for "Door #2" above, of course).

If you opt for "Door #1" above instead, with the promise of paying the vendor back for what you stole and sold over time/as you are able to, you will probably have a rough road ahead of you, but you will also be doing what I believe God would want you to do, including trusting Him with the outcome (come what may), which are two of the very best things that any of us will ever be able to do in this life (choosing to trust and obey God, that is) :)

Living for God (and having a clean conscience) means doing what you know is right (doing what you know will please and honor Him), you just need to decide what that is (and then trust Him with the outcome, whatever it may be .. e.g. Proverbs 3:5-6; Romans 8:28).

Again, talk to you pastor about all of this for his input/advice/prayers before making a decision .. cf Proverbs 15:22; Hebrews 13:17.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - this quote of Dr. Ferguson's has been helpful to me over the years, especially when I wasn't sure what to do next/not completely sure what God would have me do.

You are so kind. Thank you for your reply.I am just struggling with how I can return the items since I vowed not to return there to stay away from there for my own good. I do not know if they may of seen some footage by now and be waiting for me.

My mother was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness and I need to be by her side.

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Welcome to CB.

Shoplifting has a domino effect on the store, employees, and the local consumer community.

Confession is good for the soul. Avoiding responsibility for your sin just adds another rock to that bag of guilt bricks you carry.

Did you ever see the book, a series of books later, entitled , Conversations With God?

Its author, Neal Donald Walsh, decided to write a letter to God. NDW was upset with all the bad things happening in the world and wanted to know why God didn't stop it.

God answered in what today is called automatic writing. God took control of NDW's thoughts and pen and began his answer.

Before you think that was Satan not God, consider we revere the Bible that was inspired by God.

So, why not confess your sin to God. Yes, God saw you stealing time and time again. The confession letter is an opportunity to channel out of yourself the pain and guilt you feel.

Just as stealthy as you took it. Security doesn't look for people putting stuff back.

God's will be with you.
Holding you in prayer.
Thank you. I do not know if it is a good idea to go back there as I fear they may of seen some footage by now and are waiting for me.

I strongly feel the need to do this as quickly and discreetly as possible, how ever I do not feel safe going to the store because I can not be entangled with legal issues at this time,

My mother is dying and I need to be by her side.

Shes one of the reasons I know I need to change.

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You're basically saying "I'm sorry".

Now go the extra mile, and say "Lord willing, I will be sorry for life" (that is, to the end of your life).

I damaged someone's car once, and I was really vexed about it: but someone damaged my car and I was happy to pay.
Thank you, this made sense. Do you have any thoughts on how to deal with the remainder of the stuff?

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Welcome to CB.

God's will be with you.
Holding you in prayer.
I lost my vehicle in an accident one year ago, Im still saving for a new one.

Honestly I would love to take up that suggestion except I feel it is best to stay away from there, as I can not afford any more troubles right now (my mother is dying and she is immunocompromised, and I am her primary caregiver)

Not to mention the number of trips necessary to return all the things (and no buying on top) on top of the fact they may have seen previous footage which they have been holding on to) would draw me attention for sure =( which I am trying to stay away from because I can not get into legal troubles right now =(

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is there some pressing need to get rid of the stuff now?

Make it right? Make it right with God first. Find a good church to attend. Go there, worship the Lord, fellowship with Christians, get involved. Over time the Holy Spirit will show you the way. Trust in the Lord.

I am not ready to seek out a church as I struggle with anxiety and mental health I am working on and it feels overwhelming.

Yes I do feel a sense of urgency because my mother is dying and I want to get right with God.

Both God and my mother deserved so much better than the actions I chose. My mother does not know and I do not intend to tell her, rather Id like to make it right (as quietly as possible)

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Don't rest in the shame too long as its very hurtful. Christ is about restoraton of self...learning to love self again. It's a process! The only way is to fill your life with Christ things...study his life daily and absorb him into your very being...in time you will feel the freedom!
PM me anytime if you need a private chat!
God bless.
F2F
How do I Pm you?

TY

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not ready to seek out a church as I struggle with anxiety and mental health I am working on and it feels overwhelming.

Yes I do feel a sense of urgency because my mother is dying and I want to get right with God.

Both God and my mother deserved so much better than the actions I chose. My mother does not know and I do not intend to tell her, rather Id like to make it right (as quietly as possible)
Make it right....other than returning the items and turning yourself in.....can you make it right?

If your not going to do that, then give it to charity.....Good Will store?

And hoping you are not friendless......Go to church with a friend.

Reactions: Lambano

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@sadone welcome to CB. I once, before I was Christian worked at a place and had one of the workers put something stolen in the trunk of my car. I didn't care at the time so I just went on with my life. When I turned to Christ years later I took the money it cost which was hundreds of dollars and hand delivered it to the owner explaining what had happened. He was nice about it.

But don't think you won't be arrested doing something like that. Donating stolen items is in the wrong spirit. Not sure what you should do really.

sadone

Sep 13, 2023
Na
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So I forgot to add one detail to my story.

The very last time I came to the big store, I did not take anything. But an employee (floorwalker) who I noticed had been paying attention to me while I shopped, followed me outside and told me they knew "what I did" and said I am banned from the store, so I should not come back unless I want to get cops called.

I never did and its been 5 years now and im still petrified to go back there, I probably never will =(

So while I would like to return ALL of the stuff, I dont know how =(

I thought about dropping it all off at the doors after dark, buy I dont have the means to transport it. Not to mention, they may have cameras in the parking lot and I dont want to be the subject of some sort of investigation.

I thought about mailing it to the store, but again its about 10 large boxes and Im worried they will try to trace it back to the post office it was mailed from, and then me. Im certain they would remember me if I mailed a business such a large quantity of stuff, not to mention they would wonder why I cannot just take it there instead of paying for it to be delivered. Id also be on camera there too.

Other than abandoning it in a random place (unsure what would happen if I did), taking it to the dump, or donating it, all of which do not feel right to me, I have one more idea.

I could try to mail it to the corporate head office which is across the country, which may or may not become suspicious and try to trace me and find out who I am. I would not identify it as stolen items, just send it in a box with no label.

Returning it piece by piece is not possible, nor is getting arrested. I do not believe getting arrested should be necessary because I am trying to make it right. If I kept the items with out remorse than yes, I'd be deserving of being arrested.

Also, my mother has incurable cancer and im her primary caregiver, so I cannot get into that sort of trouble right now.

Tenchi

Sep 14, 2023
Winnipeg
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hey. Got yourself in a pretty...sticky situation. Sin always does this to us. It's part of why God warns us to do things His way.

You realize, I hope, that your stealing is just a symptom of something else, something deeper, that's going on in you. If you don't deal with the source of this symptom - of your sin - you're going to just have more "symptoms," more sin, to deal with, over, and over, over again. Maybe not stealing, though; maybe lust, or anger, or fear, or whatever. Before you start thinking about what to do with all the stuff you stole, I would urge you to sort out with God the reason(s) why you stole it. At bottom, there's only one reason, but until you see it for yourself, and believe it, and change the thinking that brought you into sin, adopting God's truth instead (which is what the Bible means by repentance), the source of your sin-symptoms is going to keep churning out new "symptoms."

It's a pretty "dumb bunny" that runs around a huge bonfire, frantically stamping out the fires that start as sparks continually shoot out of the bonfire and onto the dry grass, trying to keep the whole area from igniting. Eventually, the "dumb bunny" is going to grow exhausted, and the fires too numerous, and the whole area will go up in flames and smoke. If the little fires are to be prevented, the big one, the bonfire that starts them all, has to be dealt with.

Maybe it's time for you to deal with the bonfire rather than the sparks so that, as the apostle Paul wrote, "sin shall no longer have dominion over you." (Romans 6:12)

I'm certain that when you sort out the underlying Big Problem between you and God, when you deal with the "bonfire" of your sin, the proper way to go in regards to the stuff you've stolen will become quite clear.

Sin always invites us to do two things:

1. Deny who we really are in Christ Jesus.
2. Stand in God's place in our lives.

The apostle Paul explained this in his letter to the Christians at Rome. In chapter 6, in particular, he explained how to respond to these two "invitations." I would urge you to read Romans 6 and pay close attention to the commands Paul gives to his readers in the chapter. Both commands define how to deal with the source of any and all sin (see verses 11 and 13). When - or if - you read through the chapter, if you want to talk more about God's "way of escape" from all sin (and the fellowship with Him that lies beyond that escape), feel free to post here what questions or comments you may have. I'll check back in a while to see if you want to deal with the "bonfire" instead of just its endless "sparks."

Reactions: Papa Smurf