Poll: Does God Have Rules?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I have read institutes of religion and yes I believe the Bible was inspired by God and my post addressed hyper-calvinism not Calvin. Yes, I believe that people have been assassinating Gods character since we exited the Garden-anytime people choose Gods sovereignty at the expense of His character which is completely fear-based and unnecessary.

Stan if you are claim that God doesn't follow the rules of His own nature than my post to you applys if not than I have misunderstood you

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
aspen said:
Stan if you are claim that God doesn't follow the rules of His own nature than my post to you applys if not than I have misunderstood you
I'm saying God does NOT have rules for Himself or anyone. He IS what He is. As He said, I AM THAT I AM.
I've made my point pretty clear in this thread.

platypusninja314

Apr 15, 2015
Obviously, there are certain things that He cannot do, like cheating, learning, etc. Because of this, I would say that God is the "moral code" we try to follow in its purist sense. Because of this, God would only be limited by his own self. In other words, God does have rules, but He himself is the thing that limits Him.
His Bond Servant,
Ryker Lutjens

ariyana

Apr 30, 2015
Even I couldn't find the poll.I agree to what Iforrest has said. God makes rules for those who are tempted to sin. Only we have to follow his ten commandments. God doesn't need to follow his own commandments. If God followed his own rules then he wouldn't have killed people.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
pom2014 said:
He cannot do anything he pleases as then the end would justify the means.
Psalm 115:3 Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.
pom2014 said:
Does God have rules he must follow himself?
As Sylvestor Stallone says, he doesn't make the law, He is the law :D.

God is the bright morning star Rev 22:16 / an all consuming fire Heb 12:29 of goodness / righteousness and holiness. It is not in Him to do evil, at all 1 John 1:5.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
FHII said:
I wouldn't say he has rules he "must" follow, but he does have rules he "does" follow. This is going to enrage people, but by human standards, he does bend the rules.

Its well known that heb 6 says God cannot lie. BUT on several occasions he did send lying spirits. He also sent strong delusions.

Another point is that when God got fed up with Israel he told Moses to stand aside so he could kill them all. Moses actually withstood God and reminded him what the Word said. God agreed! Now, he didn't kill them, but he did let them wonder in the desert for 40 years.

Overall, I don't think we should think too much on it. We can rest assured that his Word is truth and that he is faithful in keeping his promises.

If he doesn't follow his own personal rules he cannot be God.

The mere idea that he can set rules for others and not abide within those rules himself and most importantly PERFECT those rules; well it means that God would be a tyrant.

Rules for you but not for me. A petty, tyrannical and fickle god. Sounds more like the enemy and not The King.

And if in fact we have a god that has no code of conduct, no laws to live by and not rules that he holds himself to; well then he sounds like a right rotter and I'll be more than happy to pull him down. Such tyrants need removal.

As I do not believe that God is that way, I will not have to pull him down. But if the others are right that he is ABOVE THE LAW and can do as he pleases with impunity; well then there will be war in heaven and I will lead the charge. I would rather die than kneel before a petty king.
KingJ said:
Psalm 115:3 Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.

As Sylvestor Stallone says, he doesn't make the law, He is the law :D.

God is the bright morning star Rev 22:16 / an all consuming fire Heb 12:29 of goodness / righteousness and holiness. It is not in Him to do evil, at all 1 John 1:5.
And it pleases him to live by the rules of his Kingdom and for his subjects, because he is a good and true King.

If you believe that he can willy nilly do as he pleases then you he can lie, be unfaithful and do evil. Which scripture all states he cannot.

He is a Lawful God, it pleases him to have and live within a Lawful state.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
pom2014 said:
And it pleases him to live by the rules of his Kingdom and for his subjects, because he is a good and true King.

If you believe that he can willy nilly do as he pleases then you he can lie, be unfaithful and do evil. Which scripture all states he cannot.

He is a Lawful God, it pleases him to have and live within a Lawful state.
Yes, God is good. That is why we worship Him.

Psalm 136:1 Give thanks to the Lord because he is good, because his mercy endures forever.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not have rules in the external sense that we understand rules to be a prohibition against something or a command to do something. However, I would say in one small sense of the word he does have rules that are internal, entirely of His perfect being and character. He will not break them because they are who he is. We do not fully fathom what the cry "Holy, Holy, Holy!" means when it comes to the characteristics of God, but we do know that he is righteous, meaning that no unrighteousness is found in Him. Since we have no other model for that then God the Father and His Son, we are left trying to put this into words.