Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i can't get tattoo
in this kind of country the common knowledge is if someone has a tattoo it is not art but a sign you are ex-con or someone involved in bad things like illegal drugs and syndicate

Based on what you have posted, a tattoo on a "missionary" would not be well accepted within the Philippines and could be a hinderance in the Philippines for reaching out to people with the Gospel for foreigners.

In the Asian sub continent giving one rupee to one person in front of others means that you have to provide 1 Rs to everyone else in that neighbourhood, but it will only provide nothing more that lollies for the children.

Does the wearing of the briefest of bikinis for girls or budgie smugglers for boys, increase their ability to interact with people on a beach. This probably does send the wrong message to the crowds when sharing the gospel.

Shalom

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Based on what you have posted, a tattoo on a "missionary" would not be well accepted within the Philippians and could be a hinderance in the Philippians for reaching out to people with the Gospel for foreigners.

In the Asian sub continent giving one rupee to one person in front of others means that they you have to provide 1 Rs to everyone else in that neighbourhood, but it will only provide nothing more that lollies for the children.

Does the wearing of the briefest of bikinis for girls or budgie smugglers for boys, increase their ability to interact with people on a beach. This probably does send the wrong message to the crowds when sharing the gospel.

Shalom
I've not heard the term budgie smuggler before... (Do you mean...?) :rolleyes:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am reminder of these comments from Paul: -

Rom 14:12-13: - 12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way.

1 Cor 8:9-13: - 9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. 10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? 11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

We as God's Saints do have a responsibility toward our brothers, both within and without the body of Christ.

Reactions: farouk

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you talking about the male equivalent of dental floss bikinis?

Is that the same as bum flossing apparel? It is not limited to either the female or male customers but both have a tendance to wear it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Is that the same as bum flossing apparel? It is not limited to either the female or male customers but both have a tendance to wear it.
Well, I was really trying to get into the etymology of your term 'budgie smuggler', which I had not heard before; I guess that in such exotic places as the Gulf of Carpentaria, Bondi Beach, etc., the flora and fauna is doubtless most varied; but I forbear...

Reactions: Rita
R

Rita

I had to look that up Jay, not heard the expression before- speedos, with some weird variations !!
Rita

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I was really trying to get into the etymology of your term 'budgie smuggler', which I had not heard before; I guess that in such exotic places as the Gulf of Carpentaria, Bondi Beach, etc., the flora and fauna is doubtless most varied; but I forbear...

Very small speedos where nothing is left to imagination of the male's anatomy endowments and that it is referred to as the budgie.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
(Are we getting a bit topic...? however absorbing the byways may seem...)

I just followed your lead, sorry.

If you noticed in #136 above I did try to turn the conversation towards a scriptural understanding for this thread.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I had to look that up Jay, not heard the expression before- speedos, with some weird variations !!
Rita
@Rita: The fact is that, while some ppl might be quick to 'disapprove' of bikinis, some of the bigger bikinis in fact cover more than do some stringy one-piece swimsuits.

I read about a Hollywood film director who wanted to re-create a beach scene from the 1950s.

He couldn't do it because he couldn't find enough young women without tattoos to employ as film extras on the beach.

I guess the fact is that some customs are so firmly established that for some ppl to 'moralize' according to their subjective personal preferences is not going to achieve much.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
not heard the expression before
@Rita New to me, also.

Perhaps those...items...are more common in Australia (Bondi Beach, etc.) than on the beaches of southern England that we are familiar with.

(I was going to add another comment about something you said on the other thread; in a moment...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk was referring to my peace with regards to the tattoo I had done - it wasn’t something I just randomly did , there was thought, study, prayer and discernment involved - and I have always had complete peace about it.
@Rita Clearly, as a Christian of many decades' standing now — peacefully and quietly — you are a boldly tattooed woman and no one can take the complete peace you have about it from you.

There was also the suggestion earlier than getting tattooed equates with losing one's virginity. This is frankly preposterous.

When my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area - her favorite verse and mine - it would have been frankly preposterous to have regarded the deliberate acquisition of this evidently effective witness tool in the light of losing one's virginity.

(Having said that also, when a Christian marries another Christian, whether or not in the past there has - in a whole host of possible, past circumstances a loss of virginity on the part of one or both of the spouses - presumably by then there has been ample opportunity for healing and forgiveness and for moving on in the will of the Lord.)