Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @1stCenturyLady So are you still in touch with your brother-in-law who you said is into tattoos and leathers? :)

No! Not at all. As far as I'm concerned he is my sister-in-law's husband, even though she died a few years ago. He tried to touch me and I ran out and never saw him again. I was shocked.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@1stCenturyLady Oh so sorry about your experience....it must have happened since you mentioned him some years back.....
probably shortly thereafter, because its been a couple years it seems. I was also surprised he saw me that way. I NEVER saw him that way, and frankly wondered what my sister-in-law saw in him. But she stuck it out. I felt sorry for him. He also knew that I didn't date. (I don't believe in remarriage after divorce, only widowhood.)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He also knew that I didn't date. (I don't believe in remarriage after divorce, only widowhood.)
Wow... now there's a statement you don't hear too often... I took the same road but probably for different reasons... I did however feel strongly that I was not marriage material.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow... now there's a statement you don't hear too often... I took the same road but probably for different reasons... I did however feel strongly that I was not marriage material.

My Christian husband left me for the wife of his best friend, causing two divorces, and they then got married. That was 2001. He is still the last man I kissed, and I still wear my wedding rings, but now they represent Isaiah 54:5.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For thy Maker is thy husband; Jehovah of hosts is his name: and the Holy One of Israel is thy Redeemer; the God of the whole earth shall he be called.

This is BEAUTIFUL.... absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For thy Maker is thy husband; Jehovah of hosts is his name: and the Holy One of Israel is thy Redeemer; the God of the whole earth shall he be called.

This is BEAUTIFUL.... absolutely beautiful.
@Addy Isaiah 54.5 :)

Here's an Isaiah tattoo (ref. to: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41.10)

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk thinking about it; some tattoos can be used as images to mean something ; just some design that you would know how to articulate when asked about it.
@MatthewG Since all the young ppl that I have talked to with Bible verses tattooed seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons, it's as if they were all really wanting people to ask about them. GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo. Even those very conservative types.
It's such a hugely widespread custom but when it's Christian young ppl wanting to get Bible verses done it's like you imply finding words around which to talk to people who might ask about those Bible verses.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a tattoo I got when I was in my 20's.
Most of my life I worked around machinery. Jewelry was not advisable.
I used to wear my hair in a long ponytail. I was using a spindle drill one day and my tail got caught in it and ripped out a good chunk of hair.
If it had been a necklace, I could of been in serious danger.
I never took to make up, it always made me break out.

But I'm not opposed to other people doing what they do.
@Ziggy

Yes, I can see how for a lot of ppl a shorter haircut can be regarded as a more sensible option if like you say they are often working around machinery.

Especially after your nasty experience...

And the lady who works as a mechanic at our local garage for similar reasons has tattoos instead of jewelry. Like you say, in certain mechanical work settings jewelry isn't advisable. You can see how for mechanics and others tattoos from that perspective can seem a sensible alternative to jewelry.

Sports, too, are an environment where jewelry definitely isn't advisable. A lot of schools even require young men and women getting ears pierced to do it in the vacation so that it will have healed for sports; sensible advice, again.

Sounds like you avoided an accident with jewelry, even despite the nasty experience with the hair. As for tattoos; well, hard to get them caught in machinery...

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My Christian husband left me for the wife of his best friend, causing two divorces, and they then got married. That was 2001. He is still the last man I kissed, and I still wear my wedding rings, but now they represent Isaiah 54:5.

@1stCenturyLady So sad about your grievous trial; you have proved that the Lord gives grace. I think of Isaiah 48.10: "I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction".

I just have eyebrows, so at least I know how it feels. I like it, not painful to me.
Yes, and I think you mentioned also from back quite liking the gray of soft and gentle designs such as some of Ryan Ashley's. For eyebrows, it probably needs to be or can be more suitable if black ink is used, though for other designs in other placements I agree the gray can be liked as a really versatile medium. A lot of ppl like the feeling of the experience; placement and shade of ink have a lot to do with it, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy FYI: I thought of you; nice design here of a female warrior; seems like she is bowing in prayer...we were talking about spiritual conflict and Ephesians 6:

Color-Warrior-Angel-Tattoo-On-Girl-Right-Sleeve.jpg
askideas dot com
That's a nice outward appearance of what I'm attempting to be inside.
My patience is weary..

Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's a nice outward appearance of what I'm attempting to be inside.
My patience is weary..

Hugs
@Ziggy

I love 2 Corinthians 4.16-18:

"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Yes, some Christians' tattoos seem to express outwardly what they inwardly aspire to in grace, and make for really effective talking points, don't they? For all the Christian young people with faith based (Bible verse) tattoos that I have talked to, it seems to have been about wanting to use their tattoos evangelistically.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy

I love 2 Corinthians 4.16-18:

"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Yes, some Christians' tattoos seem to express outwardly what they inwardly aspire to in grace, and make for really effective talking points, don't they? For all the Christian young people with faith based (Bible verse) tattoos that I have talked to, it seems to have been about wanting to use their tattoos evangelistically.
Thank You for those verses farouk.
:)
Much needed and well timed.
HUGS

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank You for those verses farouk.
:)
Much needed and well timed.
HUGS

@Ziggy, YW.

I saw this picture of someone who used part of 2 Corinthians 4 for her tattoo:

cd4a32da150e4e1460eacf275ce5cc86--chalk-board--corinthians.jpg
pinterest

I think the lettering could have been done a bit more smoothly, don't you? but then again some ppl like to do quotes with a rugged look. (I reckon quite a lot of testimony conversations have arisen as a result of this one, anyway.)

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some years ago, I was being a bit belligerant and I wrote scripture verses on every dollar bill I had for a month.
I was hoping when they made it back to the treasury, they would grow a conscience.
Perhaps the money hasn't made it's circuit yet.

God gave us a body to do with as we felt appropriate.
The physical body should be a manifestation of the spirit within it.
If you mistreat it, abuse it, and disrespect it, then you will reap the benefits of what you've sown.
There are tatoos and then there are tatoos.
Some are for a positive statement and others for negative.
Sometimes in a stage of rebellion we do things and are ashamed later.
Sometimes we are in a stage of wanting to manifest what is in our hearts.
You want the world to see your happy? You smile
You want the world to see you got money? You buy an expensive house or car.
You want the world to see where your devotion is? You go to church, get a tattoo.. however it defines who you are.

I wonder if those dollars will ever end up back in my wallet?
LOL
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Some years ago, I was being a bit belligerant and I wrote scripture verses on every dollar bill I had for a month.
I was hoping when they made it back to the treasury, they would grow a conscience.
Perhaps the money hasn't made it's circuit yet.

God gave us a body to do with as we felt appropriate.
The physical body should be a manifestation of the spirit within it.
If you mistreat it, abuse it, and disrespect it, then you will reap the benefits of what you've sown.
There are tatoos and then there are tatoos.
Some are for a positive statement and others for negative.
Sometimes in a stage of rebellion we do things and are ashamed later.
Sometimes we are in a stage of wanting to manifest what is in our hearts.
You want the world to see your happy? You smile
You want the world to see you got money? You buy an expensive house or car.
You want the world to see where your devotion is? You go to church, get a tattoo.. however it defines who you are.

I wonder if those dollars will ever end up back in my wallet?
LOL
Hugs
@Ziggy

This is a very thoughtful contribution. (Which from you is not unusual because you often make thoughtful posts.)

The young ppl whom I have talked to with Bible verses tattooed have clearly - as per your post - given it a lot of thought and opted definitely to use it, right?

Use it for testimony opportunities, which likely abound.

I do wonder what opportunities would expand further if more Christians chose to work in tattoo parlors. You know tattoo parlors and of course the atmosphere from one to another can differ widely.

@soul man like you makes some really thoughtful posts and this is his perspective:

soul man said:
my girls love the ink -:) My oldest said she wanted them because it was to-quote her "to mark myself with things that are special to me." .. they were young when they started, especially my youngest. .. My oldest has a new really good artist, she wants us to get matching tats .. Tattooing in our day is big, if you need or want a tattoo, that is what you should have written in the biggest boldest lettering you can get. Stare at it daily, study it daily, it never gets old. It is the only message you need that flows from scripture in full depth of understanding for anyone that will pick it up and want to know something about it.

(Further 2c....)

Last edited:
Reactions: soul man and Ziggy