Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'll check it out.
@Ziggy

Every parlor is different.

But what so many of them seem to have in common is the fact that they often have on display portfolios with different artists' artwork, which can be freely looked at, without obligation.

And every artists has his or her own style. (Often years ago it was indeed a he. Now the profession has opened up a lot to women also.)

Clients, also. I read someplace that in North America 55%-70% or more of parlor clients are female.

I don't know what can be extrapolated from that. Maybe a lot of women have more of an aesthetic sense than men; IDK. Certainly it seems that proportionately more women are confident and brave enough to want to endure the artist's needles in order to receive on their personal canvas the aesthetic enhancement. (A lot of which these days are faith based.)

(More 2c...)

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
those are cool. I would not regret any of those tattoos.
@Mantis

I think for a believer the whole experience of going into a parlor for a faith based design isn't just to be able to have the experience of "Ohh that feels good"; but rather so that others can profit from having a faith challenge/ Scripture verse or ref. brought to their attention.

So many ppl are inked up. So many tattoos are not faith based.

But when indeed they are; when Christians have taken the time and trouble and planning and effort and even expense to have something from Scripture, then there is a sense in which it can pay dividends over and over for a long time to come.

All the young people with Scriptures tattooed that I have talked to seem to have have them done, anyway, for evangelistic reasons.

(If you see any of the logic?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
from back:
I'd love an arm thingy...

@GodsGrace So did you ever give it a bit more thought?

For some ppl if it's faith based it can be a witness tool.

For others, something like the one you uploaded is probably meant to be a simple, gentle enhancement that is tasteful; seems you quite like the look of such a design and think it would feel quite nice to have.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 I guess you haven't seen your sister's tattoo yet...
We’re very much hoping to be able to catch up after Christmas…but it does sort of depend on what our ridiculous Pollies decide between now and then. At this point they can’t make up their mind and keep moving the goal posts in terms of lockdowns and state travel etc. So, we’ll see.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We're talking over 30 years ago..
@Ziggy

In the past 30 years it's become even more widespread to get tattooed.

Today, it's almost something that ppl do when they make the transition to adulthood.

Like, "I'm tattooed; I'm a woman, not just a girl, now"; "I'm tattooed; I'm a man, not just a boy, now".

I've mentioned anyway before that all the young people with Bible verses tattooed have seemingly had theirs done for evangelistic reasons.

If this is how they wish their transition to adulthood to be seen, then they are showing they are serious about testifying, don't you think?

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
From back a bit
The ones I know through the years most have came through the kind of lifestyle that did body work before Christianity. I do know those that had nothing and started when it got popular. ... I have a good friend who was like me never had any and he is all sleaved out and it looks good but just not my cup of tea.

@soul man Although some ppl do have it done because it's popular, all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had it done for evangelistic reasons, anyway...

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Addy In some ways I wish more Christians worked in tattoo parlors, don't you?
I think more Christians should have a love for those who are not so lovely....
I'm leaving in ten minutes to get a hair cut.... First one in over a year... LOL
My daughter is coming for a visit on Friday... and I haven't seen her in a year.
So this is a very exciting week for me...

Tell me about yourself... I won't be able to respond right away.... but I will get
back to you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think more Christians should have a love for those who are not so lovely....
I'm leaving in ten minutes to get a hair cut.... First one in over a year... LOL
My daughter is coming for a visit on Friday... and I haven't seen her in a year.
So this is a very exciting week for me...

Tell me about yourself... I won't be able to respond right away.... but I will get
back to you.
Hi @Addy My wife and I went to have our hair chopped recently...

Have a blessed time with your daughter! (can't remember if you said she has tattoos, but then again, if she does or if she doesn't, so what, really? :) )

I expect you'll be catching up with a lot of news with your daughter....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I respect those who condemn it as well as those who carry them out with good intentions…
Hi @runningwings All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons (effective talking points, etc.).

Seems like today they are so often gotten as a transition to adulthood thing; like, I'm a man now, not only a boy; I'm a woman now, not only a girl; and so the parlor visit is soon arranged.

Kind of heartening anyway when ppl want to commemorate becoming adult men and women by something from Scripture, if you see the motive?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am sure this person has a wonderful testimony to go along with her tat.
@Heart2Soul Kind of, it's being willing to use one's faith based tattoo for the blessing of others, right? :)

(Not just an Oh, this feels good! experience...)

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with, seem to have theirs done as an evangelistic tool, anyway.

Reactions: Heart2Soul