Poll - Tattooing: from male military and biker ethos...to viable witness means for both genders?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tattooing: from past male military and biker ethos...to viable witness means for both genders?

• Yes, I agree

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, I disagree

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Plus it shows how dedicated one might be to commit their body to the gospel in writing. I think I would take that person more seriously.
PS: I talked to more than one young person with the entire wording of John 3.16 tattooed onto them. That's quite a lot of letters, quite a lot of pain, which in turn can incur quite a lot of respect, right?

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

In this new year 2019, the passage of time reminds us that young people turning 18 - when many acquire their first ink as adults - were born in 2001 (the year of 9/11).

The years have moved on considerably.

So has tattoo culture moved on also and broadened considerably also from a strongly male military and biker ethos years ago...to a viable witness means among Christians for both genders today?

Agree? /disagree?

(Honest and respectful comments, please.)
If you or anyone reading this were to dedicate your body to displaying one scripture as a witnessing means, what would it be?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If you or anyone reading this were to dedicate your body to displaying one scripture as a witnessing means, what would it be?
Good question: placement has a lot to do with it, of course.

John 3.16 is certainly a favorite.

The young lady that my wife and I talked to had her wrist area tattooed with John 3.16's entire wording; the script was ornate, but legible.

Placement would be a big part of it, of course, right?

D

Dave L

Good question: placement has a lot to do with it, of course.

John 3.16 is certainly a favorite.

The young lady that my wife and I talked to had her wrist area tattooed with John 3.16's entire wording; the script was ornate, but legible.

Placement would be a big part of it, of course, right?
I think placement is important and depends on physique.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think placement is important and depends on physique.
Yes; and clearly for obvious reasons a faith based chest tattoo lends itself more to male Christians than to females. That's not to say that female Christians don't have plenty of potential to use faith based tattoos in other placements.

Reactions: Dave L

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@OzSpen I think for the Fijian man with the big faith tattoo it must have been quite an expensive undertaking, right?

(FYI, poll also...)

Yes,

I expect it would have been, especially since the one on his back depicting Jesus' death on the cross took 40 hours to complete.

However, these rugby league players earn big money in the limited number of years they play professionally.

Here's a video of Kevin explaining his tattoos: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/kevin-naiqama-sister-never-met/https://www.playersvoice.com.au/kevin-naiqama-sister-never-met/

This is in radical contrast to Nel Bolten of the Netherlands' tattoo. She was a pensioner, aged 91:

upload_2019-1-13_6-36-55.jpeg
(photo courtesy Daily Mail Australia)
The 15cm-wide tattoo across her chest, which reads 'Do not resuscitate, I'm 91+', has now been accepted as a legal declaration as a right to die by the Dutch health minister, Edith Schippers.

I included this photograph in my submission to the Victorian government, Australia, 'End of Life Choices'. Sadly, Victoria has enacted euthanasia legislation.

Oz

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes,

I expect it would have been, especially since the one on his back depicting Jesus' death on the cross took 40 hours to complete.

However, these rugby league players earn big money in the limited number of years they play professionally.

Here's a video of Kevin explaining his tattoos: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/kevin-naiqama-sister-never-met/https://www.playersvoice.com.au/kevin-naiqama-sister-never-met/

This is in radical contrast to Nel Bolten of the Netherlands' tattoo. She was a pensioner, aged 91:

View attachment 5187
(photo courtesy Daily Mail Australia)
The 15cm-wide tattoo across her chest, which reads 'Do not resuscitate, I'm 91+', has now been accepted as a legal declaration as a right to die by the Dutch health minister, Edith Schippers.

I included this photograph in my submission to the Victorian government, Australia, 'End of Life Choices'. Sadly, Victoria has enacted euthanasia legislation.

Oz
Why do you say, "sadly?" Is it still not the individual's choice?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why do you say, "sadly?" Is it still not the individual's choice?

Willie,

It is not the right of any human being to take another person's life (except under God's instruction) and euthanasia or assisted suicide involves actions that bring a disgrace on a State or nation.

See: Are Life and Death under God's Control? - Blue Letter Bible

Oz

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie,

It is not the right of any human being to take another person's life (except under God's instruction) and euthanasia or assisted suicide involves actions that bring a disgrace on a State or nation.

See: Are Life and Death under God's Control? - Blue Letter Bible

Oz
If you want to see a disgrace, tour a few "nursing homes" and take a look at the pitiful vegetables of humans that long to die, yet we "nobly" force them to keep on suffering in physical and mental conditions we wouldn't even let a pet go through.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to see a disgrace, tour a few "nursing homes" and take a look at the pitiful vegetables of humans that long to die, yet we "nobly" force them to keep on suffering in physical and mental conditions we wouldn't even let a pet go through.

Every human deserves worse than what you are describing.
Did Jesus willingly, and by the Father's determination and foreknowledge, choose to suffer and die?
I long to die also, but let's not approve of the sin of assisted suicide.

Reactions: OzSpen and farouk

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every human deserves worse than what you are describing.
Did Jesus willingly, and by the Father's determination and foreknowledge, choose to suffer and die?
I long to die also, but let's not approve of the sin of assisted suicide.
Should I have the "right" to force you to keep on living in a miserable condition, if you don't wish to?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should I have the "right" to force you to keep on living in a miserable condition, if you don't wish to?

How do you force someone to not kill themselves? People find a way to do that if they wish.
What people want to do is make assisted suicide legal, for the most part to assure themselves that, even if they become disabled and unable to kill themselves, someone can do it for them.
Again, it is a sin to kill yourself or assist someone to do that.
Is that sin acceptable to you? And, it is the one sin you cannot repent of.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Willie,

I have visited nursing homes for years. I can understand your sentiment but don't support your biblical theology.

Experience of what we see in nursing homes is not the determinant of whether a person is allowed to live or be killed.

'When I was born into this world, I was naked and had nothing. When I die and leave this world, I will be naked and have nothing. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Praise the name of the Lord' (Job 1:21 ERV).​

James 4:13-16 (ERV) states:

13 Some of you say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to some city. We will stay there a year, do business, and make money.” Listen, think about this: 14 You don’t know what will happen tomorrow. Your life is like a fog. You can see it for a short time, but then it goes away. 15 So you should say, “If the Lord wants, we will live and do this or that.” 16 But now you are proud and boast about yourself. All such boasting is wrong (emphasis added).​

This is how it is with life and death: 'So you should say, “If the Lord wants, we will live and do this or that' (Jas 4:15 (ERV).

What did Job say about his children when he lost them in that storm? 'When I was born into this world, I was naked and had nothing. When I die and leave this world, I will be naked and have nothing. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Praise the name of the Lord!' (Job 1:21).

We find Hannah saying something similar in 1 Sam 2:6 (ERV):

The Lord causes people to die,
and he causes them to live.

He sends people down to the grave,
and he can raise them up to live again.

It is critical that we understand this biblical teaching in a contemporary age of wanting to hasten the death of the aged (It does save the govt. money) and killing children in the womb for a number of reasons.

It is the Lord who gives life and the Lord who causes people to die. We learn from Acts 17: 24-45, 28 (ERV):

24 “He is the God who made the whole world and everything in it. He is the Lord of the land and the sky. He does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 He is the one who gives people life, breath, and everything else they need. He does not need any help from them. He has everything he needs.... 28 It is through him that we are able to live, to do what we do, and to be who we are. As your own poets have said, ‘We all come from him.’​

So, God gives life. If he doesn't continue to give life, he causes death. The OT taught us the Lord causes people to live and die. That has not changed with the NT. To euthanise people and kill babies in the womb are acts contrary to God's laws.

We learn from 1 Tim 6:13 , 'Before God and Christ Jesus I give you a command. Jesus is the one who confessed that same wonderful truth when he stood before Pontius Pilate. And God is the one who gives life to everything'.

Why, then, does God allow euthanasia and abortion to cause death in certain States and countries? That gets into another topic of the sovereignty of God and the free will of human beings.

See:Do we have an appointed time of death? - Got Questions?

Whose right is it to give, sustain and take life? Bible teaching please.:rolleyes:

Oz

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I probably wouldn't suggest getting one to my grandchildren (20-15 years old), on the other hand I would give them a ride if they decided they wanted one. FOREVER
Acolyte:

So none of your grandchildren have talked about the possibility yet, then...?

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acolyte:

So none of your grandchildren have talked about the possibility yet, then...?

None.. they are too busy with school, career options and getting themselves setup. Also trying to keep their heads in USA terribly liberal teaching environment. (so sad)