Poll: The Music question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What genre of Christian music do you like?

• Total voters

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Electronica - PsyTrance , Down Tempo , Minimalistic

:huh: huh!

Now that's a new genre of music ...that i've not heard of from the 60s - 70s.

"Trance" ...is that a continuous electronic melodic repetitive beat combined with tempo changes to create hypnotic feelings of euphoria? Kinda like a drug???

Bless ya!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I like lots of music.

For some reason I can't stand gospel music, and I don't like praise music. I suppose it's because it's easy to write a song that says, "God is good, Praise Jesus holy name, etc, etc"

But, to put your true emotions to music,,,, now that's different.

I believe songs are prayers from our soul. There's a time for praise, and some of those songs are good. But for the most part, I want to know how they're feeling, what they're really thinking.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My favorite song when I need a boost :lol:

All things are Possible by by Darlene Zschech/ Hillsong

Almighty God my redeemer
My hiding place my safe refuge, no other name like Jesus
No power can stand against You.

My feet are planted on this rock
And I will not be shaken
My hope it comes from You alone
My Lord and my salvation

Your praise is always on my lips
Your word is living in my heart
And I will praise You with a new song, My soul will bless You
Lord

You fill my life with greater joy
Yes I delight myself in You
And I will praise You with a new song, My soul will bless You,
Lord

When I am weak, you make me strong
When I'm poor, I know I'm rich for in the power of Your name
All things are possible
All things are possible
All things are possible

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eAsJU1WNBgs

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I agree in part Andy but sometimes there are songs, released out of the heart of man, like rivers of living water, via personal relationship with our precious Lord and savior. Songs so powerful, so anointed, so life changing...eg: "Amazing Grace" Out of this world!

Shalom! :)

Nicky_uk

Oct 23, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I too would agree in part since there are some christian songs which seem more geared to an event rather than worship, but there are some amazing worship songs that have been written and you know are anointed. Just a glimpse at the Welsh Revival show a some examples of not all songs being over-hyped lounge acts, although I would agree they do exist.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I am considered an odd ball for holding this position but I truly believe when Christians began allowing (and then actively participating) in the segregation of Christian/Secular that we lost hold of the culture. A piece of music doesn't have to have the word God or Jesus repeated ad nauseum to be considered "Christian".

Look at some of the music of yesteryear that is considered to be wholesome and uplifting, it wasn't labeled as "Contemporary Christian" or "Country Christian", it was just good music.

So much so that today Christian music is loaded with lyrics that go out of their way to hit you over the head with God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit but is entirely bereft of any musical talent, just second rate lounge acts with karaoke singers pretending to be talented. And secular music with majestically and God gifted talent creating lyrical malevolence and mayhem.

My advice, if you want to be uplifted but not really impressed with the talent listen to CCM. If you want to hear top notch talented musicians at the pinnacle of their craft, unfortunately, the only place for that is the so called secular music.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Andy!
Thanks for opening this interesting subject... :)

I am considered an odd ball for holding this position but I truly believe when Christians began allowing (and then actively participating) in the segregation of Christian/Secular that we lost hold of the culture. A piece of music doesn't have to have the word God or Jesus repeated ad nauseum to be considered "Christian".

I believe that secular music has always been dictated by popularity at a particular period in time. Secular music is subject to popular culture. If there had been an outpouring of Christian music on the secular scene, at any time, it would have been due to the values, moral codes and acceptable traditional customs of that society, at that particular time. This also includes wholesome, uplifting music from yesteryear.

Look at some of the music of yesteryear that is considered to be wholesome and uplifting, it wasn't labeled as "Contemporary Christian" or "Country Christian", it was just good music.

I agree...it was great music. As a Radio broadcaster for secular and Christian music, on a secular Radio Station, I have found that categorizing various music genre is easier to work with when having to pour through hundreds and thousands of songs on a regular basis. Classification is just an easier/ faster way to identify a particular piece of music within a genre group.

So much so that today Christian music is loaded with lyrics that go out of their way to hit you over the head with God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit but is entirely bereft of any musical talent, just second rate lounge acts with karaoke singers pretending to be talented. And secular music with majestically and God gifted talent creating lyrical malevolence and mayhem.

Well you could be right there again but my sole purpose when amongst these untalented artists and lounge acts is to worship and glorify God. I believe that corporate and individual worship and praising God, brings down such a powerful anointing that it really does not matter in the end, how talented the music directors or worship leaders are...worship comes from the heart... and it is out of the heart of man that praise and glory to God come...

My advice, if you want to be uplifted but not really impressed with the talent listen to CCM. If you want to hear top notch talented musicians at the pinnacle of their craft, unfortunately, the only place for that is the so called secular music.

Again, you are possibly correct. I know many talented Christian singers, and musicians but they just cannot touch the heart of God or bring down that anointing through their abilities and talents...Consider Tchaikovsky or Beethoven. Very talented, gifted musicians and writers of music...do they have a huge following??? as much as say "MIchael Jackson?" I do not think so...that is because talent has nothing to do with it...

"Pop culture" follow trends in the secular world that satisfy the desires of the soul, gratifying the flesh at any given period of time because it is a fad.
Christian music follow the heart of God...not always good music or talented by any means but certainly a means to glorify our creator.

Not all Christian music does that however, some, who desire to be famous or popular on the secular scene will embrace some of the techniques used in secular music to achieve that end but at the same time, they lose their Christian edge....

Bless you!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I am personally familiar with some of the people surrounding the recording of "Brutal Planet" by Alice Cooper. In this album I did not hear any loss of edge or musical genius, and the lyrics, while still riding the razor's edge of "decent" does guide the listener to start to think about things beyond the "end of their nose". Good music, talented musicians involved, an ongoing (changing) message from an admitted "ongoing" believer.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hey sweetie!
Not all Christian music does that however, some, who desire to be famous or popular on the secular scene will embrace some of the techniques used in secular music to achieve that end but at the same time, they lose their Christian edge....
In his interview with HM [Hard Music Magazine] it was stated that although he was raised in a Christian home and still believed in God, he was not a committed Christian.

“That changed when alcoholism threatened his marriage. He and his wife, Sheryl, attended a church with a "hellfire pastor." Cooper said he became a Christian "initially more out of the fear of God, rather than the love of God ... I did not want to go to hell."
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=12960

I have not listened to "Brutal Planet" the Album but I can see that he has a clear understanding of mankind’s demise after the fall.
Great lyrics….I hope that his music will continue to change or [evolve] as he becomes more and more intimate with our Lord and Savior.

Bless you!