Pope endorses evolution

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bout time.....

I love this guy!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
...of course you do.

" When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so," Francis said."

Hmmm...If I were viewing God from a human perspective I'd agree but God is not a human - He's divine.

Reactions: Born_Again

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How else are we supposed to view God,? we are humans not divine.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you Angelina, but the Holy Spirit does not give us divine powers.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
really?... :huh: Acts 1:8, Romans 15:18-19, 1 Corinthians 2:4, 1 Corinthians 12:7, 8, 9, 10, 11

...but that's besides the point. The Pope is trying to accommodate all theories by stating that God needed help either by the "Big Bang" theory, evolution or whatever...This is incorrect because God certainly is able to do "everything" and he does not need a catalyst to precipitate an event. Romans 4:17

BlackManINC

Feb 21, 2014
aspen said:
bout time.....

I love this guy!
Yeah, this has been known for a while. Hell, the Vatican itself espouses a theistic evolutionist view of the creation account. They've endorsed evolution for decades. So why make a thread about it as if this is some startling revelation? Considering that your OP is devoid of any content, you come off as nothing more than a troll.
Angelina said:
really?... :huh: Acts 1:8, Romans 15:18-19, 1 Corinthians 2:4, 1 Corinthians 12:7, 8, 9, 10, 11

...but that's besides the point. The Pope is trying to accommodate all theories by stating that God needed help either by the "Big Bang" theory, evolution or whatever...This is incorrect because God certainly is able to do "everything" and he does not need a catalyst to precipitate an event. Romans 4:17
Since when has the the Catholic Church ever followed basic Biblical doctrine on anything at all? One should expect this type of trash coming from the Vatican, where they put limits on Gods creative power. That's what this is all about after all, distorting Gods word so that it fits in with the all encompassing belief of evolution in preparation for Apollyon's arrival, the beast of revelation. It s very important to understand why evolution will become important that we will be told concerning Apollyon. I'll keep the fable that will be told as simple as possible.

When he arrives, he will claim to be an E.T that evolved into a god like being. He will claim to be the apex of the evolutionary tree of life, the highest form of life in the universe. Because of this, the doctrine of original sin, or the curse of death does not apply to him, because he conquered death by "evolving" above it. This allows him, he will claim, to tap into the 'essence' of the universe, an energy force (which will be akin to the "force" in star wars) that binds the cosmos together and lies dormant within all living cells. This explanation here will serve as the disguise for Satan to present himself as a force of nature. As is stated, Apollyon will come on the scene after the working of Satan, and this will be his answer for the source of his power, a "scientific" explanation. Now, understanding that Apollyon is an angel, it will be easy for him to claim to be the apex of evolution who the curse of death does not apply to, to be a higher life form than us, because scripture states that angels are indeed a higher life form than us, and the fall does not apply to angels. Before Jesus was resurrected, it is stated twice that he was born as lower than the angels themselves. So if Jesus was made lower than the angels before he rose from the dead, than we sure as hell are. This is how the deception of evolution will play a role, it will be claimed that Apollyon "evolved" to that state instead of being designed that way from the start.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This pope is a PR master, he's using the best marketing playbook.

I really take no umbrage at the Vatican coming out in support of Theistic Evolution. Contrary to the claims made here, that is not a problem! How you specifically interpret Genesis does not necessarily change your interpretation of the entire Bible. The key is recognizing that God created.

Where I do take some umbrage is what Angelina highlighted above, specifically this quote:
“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said.
That's the quote of someone trying to score a point with the other side of the fence that comes off as a mild insult rather than an admonition. For a pope that is supposed to be all about grace and in the spirit of St. Francis, this is more of an insulting remark. Also, once again, the pope remains ambivalent. Is this merely a slight to Creationists or is the part about God not being "able to do everything" more than an interesting word choice? I don't pretend to know the heart of Francis, but I can judge the fruit in this case and it's inconsistent at best.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Give me FIVE minutes with the Pope and he will retract.

I respect the pope. His position is not an easy one. There are pressures on him that we don't know about.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just appreciate him taking a role as a pastor rather than dictating what Catholics and Protestants should be believing. i think he is a peacemaker and it is refreshing. i never thought about the word magician being insulting, but i guess it could be a bit condescending. i still appreciate his attempt to be inclusive.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Now Time Mag is saying that the media has got the story wrong, believing that the main-stream media has no understanding of the Church. While speaking at the the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, what he supposedly said was;

“God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,” “Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”

I think it would have been more favorable if Time Mag hadn't of tried to correct this by adding another scorcher about God "not being divine" added - wonder what I'm going to look like when I stop evolving? :huh:

http://time.com/3545844/pope-francis-evolution-creationism/

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you will look like you were created to be Angelina, a person who loves perfectly.

Sanctification is an evolutionary process. one is either being sanctified for heaven or hell. since you are a child of God you are going to be magnificent and kneeling before God.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Angelina said:
Now Time Mag is saying that the media has got the story wrong, believing that the main-stream media has no understanding of the Church.
They basically make the same point as BMiNC did above...this isn't anything really new. The Catholic Church has said that there's no conflict between evolution and Christianity for a very long time now. Francis just reiterated it in a different way.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
aspen said:
I agree with you Angelina, but the Holy Spirit does not give us divine powers.
What a statement full of error...Turn away from such that have a form of godliness, but deny the *power*...The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is now dwelling in us...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So mr bride, you believe the Holy Spirit makes you omnipotent?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither you or I can go a day without sinning. All the power you are claiming for yourself is from God alone. God may use us as an instrument of His power, but He does not make us omnipotent. Only God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent

Reactions: williemac

Doxiemom

Oct 17, 2014
I think it was possible that the Pope was trying to get his people away from imagining "God" as some giant person sitting on a Throne ( think Zeus) holding a magic wand; a rather pagan portrait, no?

Having said that, it is permitted , even encouraged, within the catholic church , to deny the Truth of genesis, as Written. It is not taught as what actually happened, but more rather taught it as a "story" representing a more scientific truth, i.e. evolution.

I think one must go back a bit in history to remember that this is the church that tortured Galileo and other scientists of the day. And it wasn't that many years ago that this man "sins" were officially pardoned and that this church tried to come to terms with the seeming conflicts between theology and science. They have gone "over-board", too far, denying the Power thereof, whilst thinking this will please their Creator.

But what Pope Francis did was to kept the creator character in God while denying the Divine nature of God.

I find no problem with excepting both the Truth of genesis and scientific facts.God can do anything in whatever fashion He so pleases, in ways that are beyond my understanding. And Science, no matter how smart they may think they are, are trying to unravel a universe that will always be unravel-able. By God's choice, otherwise He would have permitted the Tower of Babel.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
aspen said:
Neither you or I can go a day without sinning. All the power you are claiming for yourself is from God alone. God may use us as an instrument of His power, but He does not make us omnipotent. Only God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent
The flesh does sin, yes, but does not the Bible say we have an unction from the HS, and we know all things. Oh, this needs no interpretation...Don't know if you know but God and I are one :)