Prayer for deliverance from anxiety

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Avidreader33

New Member
Sep 15, 2026
3
10
3
29
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
(Apologies in advance for how long this post is, but it’s worth reading)

Looking for hope and encouragement!!

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder at 12 years old after a traumatic event. Been taking Zoloft/Sertraline ever since and functioned normally for 15 years. Finished high school, graduated college, got married with no issues. Recently went off medication to consider starting a family, and the anxiety relapsed severely, now weening back on to medication again, currently in the thick of it, and waiting to feel like myself again. It’s been 2 and a half months of hell, anxiety so bad that I took several days off work, sitting on the couch, stuck in my own head. Waking up with adrenaline shakes, struggling to eat enough food, having a plethora of physical symptoms, and feeling hopeless and terrified.

As of today, I’m on week 3 of 150 mg of Zoloft (I was on 200 for 15 years and did fine). Had a week and a half where I felt great, almost like myself, but this week is much worse. Struggling to eat again, taking magnesium to help me sleep, but I’ve never been this severely anxious for this long and it’s terrifying.

As a Christian, I know there are spiritual and physical aspects of anxiety. It’s a very real chemical imbalance in the brain. But I’m very discouraged after having a week of feeling better to now feeling much worse. I’m seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist to manage the medications, and trying to surrender my desire to control when this difficult season will end.

Any advice/encouragement/prayer/uplifting stories of hope would be greatly appreciated.
 

GRACE ambassador

Well-Known Member
Mar 1, 2021
2,892
2,088
113
74
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male

Bob

Well-Known Member
Sep 23, 2023
969
913
93
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your heart-wrenching post, and welcome to this Christian community.

Know that you have all of us around the world praying for you.

Do you find personal prayer helpful? It has a calming effect, giving all of your troubles over to God, & asking Jesus to comfort you during difficult episodes.

Does reading the Psalms provide solace? Many of them speak of enemies all around the writer, and ask for God’s intervention. Perhaps you can relate, having physical & spiritual demons hammering on you.

We pray also that medical professionals can alleviate your pain.

Stay in touch.

Blessings.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Avidreader33

Avidreader33

New Member
Sep 15, 2026
3
10
3
29
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Thank you for your heart-wrenching post, and welcome to this Christian community.

Know that you have all of us around the world praying for you.

Do you find personal prayer helpful? It has a calming effect, giving all of your troubles over to God, & asking Jesus to comfort you during difficult episodes.

Does reading the Psalms provide solace? Many of them speak of enemies all around the writer, and ask for God’s intervention. Perhaps you can relate, having physical & spiritual demons hammering on you.

We pray also that medical professionals can alleviate your pain.

Stay in touch.

Blessings.
Thank you for your encouragement. I have been praying daily, crying out to the Lord, making sure I’m thanking him and showing gratitude rather than just begging and pleading to make things better. I have a list of Bible verses on my phone that I read when I’m feeling very anxious or panicked, and that sometimes helps. I know God is trying to teach me in this season that I need to trust Him more and surrender my desire to control things. I want nothing more than for things to go back to normal as quickly as possible, but I’m trying to surrender that too. Hoping and praying that medication and God’s timing will get me through this.
 
  • Praying
  • Like
Reactions: Lambano and Bob

Jay Ross

Well-Known Member
Jun 20, 2011
9,766
3,649
113
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
My Prayer is that: -

The Lord will include you among those whom He is calling to Himself such that you may know of His personal Love just for you, that He has wrapped His arms around you and is hugging you to keep you safe, that you know beyond any reasonable doubt His purposes for your life and that you live within the confines of that understanding being content in Who Gos is within your life.

Shalom
 

Debp

Mod - Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jul 5, 2020
14,423
17,234
113
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
As of today, I’m on week 3 of 150 mg of Zoloft (I was on 200 for 15 years and did fine).
You mentioned being weened back onto the medication. Isn't 150 mg a lot for just beginning the medication again? Perhaps your brain isn't used to that large amount anymore?

The Mayo Clinic said the following:

For panic disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, or social anxiety disorder:
  • Adults—At first, 25 milligrams (mg) once a day, taken either in the morning or evening. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 200 mg per day.
 

Avidreader33

New Member
Sep 15, 2026
3
10
3
29
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
You mentioned being weened back onto the medication. Isn't 150 mg a lot for just beginning the medication again? Perhaps your brain isn't used to that large amount anymore?

The Mayo Clinic said the following:

For panic disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, or social anxiety disorder:
  • Adults—At first, 25 milligrams (mg) once a day, taken either in the morning or evening. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 200 mg per day.
For context, I began the medication again two and a half months ago. I was completely off the medication back in June. Around early July, the anxiety became debilitating. My doctor started me back on 50 mg. After three weeks, 100 mg because 50 wasn’t providing any relief. After three more weeks, 150 mg. Week 2 of the 150 dose I finally felt more like myself again, but now it’s just as bad as before. Everyone says to give it more time since 3 weeks after a dose increase isn’t very long.
 

PeterAndroz

Well-Known Member
May 15, 2026
1,518
395
83
42
Mt Compass Adelaide
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
For context, I began the medication again two and a half months ago. I was completely off the medication back in June. Around early July, the anxiety became debilitating. My doctor started me back on 50 mg. After three weeks, 100 mg because 50 wasn’t providing any relief. After three more weeks, 150 mg. Week 2 of the 150 dose I finally felt more like myself again, but now it’s just as bad as before. Everyone says to give it more time since 3 weeks after a dose increase isn’t very long.
Magnesium Chelate equiv to 300mg daily.
Fish oil
Vit D3 10,000 iu 3x a week
Full body sun twice weekly if poss
Reduce sugar - goto pure stevia extract :)
 

Nancy

Encounter Team - Eagle
Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 30, 2018
17,868
27,369
113
Greensboro NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
(Apologies in advance for how long this post is, but it’s worth reading)

Looking for hope and encouragement!!

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder at 12 years old after a traumatic event. Been taking Zoloft/Sertraline ever since and functioned normally for 15 years. Finished high school, graduated college, got married with no issues. Recently went off medication to consider starting a family, and the anxiety relapsed severely, now weening back on to medication again, currently in the thick of it, and waiting to feel like myself again. It’s been 2 and a half months of hell, anxiety so bad that I took several days off work, sitting on the couch, stuck in my own head. Waking up with adrenaline shakes, struggling to eat enough food, having a plethora of physical symptoms, and feeling hopeless and terrified.

As of today, I’m on week 3 of 150 mg of Zoloft (I was on 200 for 15 years and did fine). Had a week and a half where I felt great, almost like myself, but this week is much worse. Struggling to eat again, taking magnesium to help me sleep, but I’ve never been this severely anxious for this long and it’s terrifying.

As a Christian, I know there are spiritual and physical aspects of anxiety. It’s a very real chemical imbalance in the brain. But I’m very discouraged after having a week of feeling better to now feeling much worse. I’m seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist to manage the medications, and trying to surrender my desire to control when this difficult season will end.

Any advice/encouragement/prayer/uplifting stories of hope would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forums @Avidreader33

You are definitely not alone in this. My prayer for you is that The Lord lift your spirit high, give you a sound mind, remove all anxiety. Jesus, thank you!

Nancy
 

Raccoon1010

Well-Known Member
Jul 14, 2020
14,564
15,943
113
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
(Apologies in advance for how long this post is, but it’s worth reading)

Looking for hope and encouragement!!

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder at 12 years old after a traumatic event. Been taking Zoloft/Sertraline ever since and functioned normally for 15 years. Finished high school, graduated college, got married with no issues. Recently went off medication to consider starting a family, and the anxiety relapsed severely, now weening back on to medication again, currently in the thick of it, and waiting to feel like myself again. It’s been 2 and a half months of hell, anxiety so bad that I took several days off work, sitting on the couch, stuck in my own head. Waking up with adrenaline shakes, struggling to eat enough food, having a plethora of physical symptoms, and feeling hopeless and terrified.

As of today, I’m on week 3 of 150 mg of Zoloft (I was on 200 for 15 years and did fine). Had a week and a half where I felt great, almost like myself, but this week is much worse. Struggling to eat again, taking magnesium to help me sleep, but I’ve never been this severely anxious for this long and it’s terrifying.

As a Christian, I know there are spiritual and physical aspects of anxiety. It’s a very real chemical imbalance in the brain. But I’m very discouraged after having a week of feeling better to now feeling much worse. I’m seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist to manage the medications, and trying to surrender my desire to control when this difficult season will end.

Any advice/encouragement/prayer/uplifting stories of hope would be greatly appreciated.
God's holy spirit drives out fear, when in the service of our lord, fear leaves. God's spirit heals all manner of illness even casts out fears.

Church attendance is wonderful. Prayer, scripture and out of self, helping others. As a wife and family member perhaps much service in Godly ways will help.

Cheers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bob and Debp

TLHKAJ

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2020
11,189
12,357
113
US
youtu.be
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Service is great, but service does not cast out fear. Scripture states that perfect love casts out fear.

1 John 4:18
“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.”

 
  • Praying
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Raccoon1010

Well-Known Member
Jul 14, 2020
14,564
15,943
113
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Service is great, but service does not cast out fear. Scripture states that perfect love casts out fear.

1 John 4:18
“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.”

Good morning,

I hope you are having a good day.

For you and also @Avidreader33, here is some prayer for you from scripture to us.

God gives and surely provides for those that serve him and do his will. He heals his servants, provides strength, courage, love, peace and grace for those that love him God. God surely provides for him God to be among the earth children. Thru scripture and service. He has buildings, houses of worship. We meet together often there.

Thru his son Christ our lord we begin to know him.

And yes he loved us first before we love him. He always loved and loves us. He has gifts for those that do not serve or attend church, or can't attend and serve. He blesses whom he will.

In love,

Devin

P.S. Have courage and ask for faith, hope and surely have undying, unwavering belief in the almighty power of God to heal us unto salvation, thru Christ our lord and savior.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lambano

ProDeo

Well-Known Member
Nov 20, 2024
2,225
1,853
113
52
Deventer
Faith
Christian
Country
Netherlands
It’s a very real chemical imbalance in the brain.

It is, I have been where you are, the despair, the impotence to return to normal life, the panic for the fear, I know and it is terrible.

In my case medication helped, been free for 33 years, indeed a chemical imbalance in the brain, one pill each day for the rest of my life.

But there was more in my young life back then, an unresolved problem, that played a role too.

A hint, it really helped me. The panic that overwhelms you when you feel the fear is coming in, the panic for the fear, unfortunately makes the fear period worse. A psychologist told me : stop fearing for the fear, accept when it comes and you will notice the panic attack is less deep and shorter, practice it! I thought the man was crazy, but I set the first steps and it got better and better and after 6 weeks I was my old self again without medication. That was my first anxiety period.

I pray that the Lord may richly bless you, put His arms around you, that you may feel His presence in these deep moments of despair.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Avidreader33

Raccoon1010

Well-Known Member
Jul 14, 2020
14,564
15,943
113
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
@Avidreader33,

And together with post #13 above, remember God knew us before we were here on earth, born of our earthly parents. He loved us and knows us from heaven before. He and our lord Jesus will always love you. They are alive forevermore.

Have faith, he will come to you personally to deliver you from all things. His spirit is love and life which casteth out fear. He will never leave you, our father who is in heaven is always watching over us. Even if we do not yet or sometimes know he is there. He surely awaits our return. And Christ will deliver us to him our father. A place we cannot go on our own. He lifts us up and even up from the dead, to raise us into heaven. Something we need a loving God to do. And he is always about his father's business of salvation. He is our king and lord.

In care,

Devin
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lambano

Kayla McCanny

Well-Known Member
May 21, 2025
438
581
93
42
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Apologies in advance for how long this post is, but it’s worth reading)

Looking for hope and encouragement!!

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder at 12 years old after a traumatic event. Been taking Zoloft/Sertraline ever since and functioned normally for 15 years. Finished high school, graduated college, got married with no issues. Recently went off medication to consider starting a family, and the anxiety relapsed severely, now weening back on to medication again, currently in the thick of it, and waiting to feel like myself again. It’s been 2 and a half months of hell, anxiety so bad that I took several days off work, sitting on the couch, stuck in my own head. Waking up with adrenaline shakes, struggling to eat enough food, having a plethora of physical symptoms, and feeling hopeless and terrified.

As of today, I’m on week 3 of 150 mg of Zoloft (I was on 200 for 15 years and did fine). Had a week and a half where I felt great, almost like myself, but this week is much worse. Struggling to eat again, taking magnesium to help me sleep, but I’ve never been this severely anxious for this long and it’s terrifying.

As a Christian, I know there are spiritual and physical aspects of anxiety. It’s a very real chemical imbalance in the brain. But I’m very discouraged after having a week of feeling better to now feeling much worse. I’m seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist to manage the medications, and trying to surrender my desire to control when this difficult season will end.

Any advice/encouragement/prayer/uplifting stories of hope would be greatly appreciated.
I know how you feel. I'm going through a lot mentally too. I have schizoaffective disorder and high anxiety. If I want to get 30 min. of relaxation I drink green tea. Not lipton, but real green tea and put on lavender lotion. It doesn't last long, but ot helps a little bit of relaxation time. Hope that helps. I know isn't much, but it helps. My cortisol gets as high as it can with fight or flight. Makes me feel like I'm being dragged down the road. Praying for you. Praying we both get the help we need.
 

Raccoon1010

Well-Known Member
Jul 14, 2020
14,564
15,943
113
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I know how you feel. I'm going through a lot mentally too. I have schizoaffective disorder and high anxiety. If I want to get 30 min. of relaxation I drink green tea. Not lipton, but real green tea and put on lavender lotion. It doesn't last long, but ot helps a little bit of relaxation time. Hope that helps. I know isn't much, but it helps. My cortisol gets as high as it can with fight or flight. Makes me feel like I'm being dragged down the road. Praying for you. Praying we both get the help we need.
Hello,

Just wanted you to know, I had anxiety some time ago. The lord has healed me of it and continues to heal me if a troubling encounter arrives in life's journeys. I'm unique like that, those encounters I go thru most will not know or understand which is God's goodness. He supplies grace and peace for us also.

God does not hurt children or life. God is life, love and evil flees his holy spirit. He is the good master.

God the father is very loving especially unto us children of God. We strive to obey his commandments. In honesty in truth we do our best. God does not wish any to fear him. He calls his children in loving spirit unto him.

Life and the fall has troubles in life, we desire to avoid troubles.

God deals with evil and enemies of God in ways he desires us not to be part of or know about. Including that old serpent. Thus he took credit for creating evil and did not create evil. The serpent is an issue we need not concern ourselves with. We turn our thoughts and hearts always toward God. He and our lord Jesus are part of God and his authority and power. We turn to him in prayer, scripture and learning. We are children of God created as children. God knows that and knows our abilities, limits and provides abilities and beyond what we sometimes currently believe of healing us.
 

pwg_jonathan

New Member
Oct 6, 2026
10
3
3
26
San Leandro
www.pacewithgrace.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
@Avidreader33, I'm new here, but your post stayed with me. Relapse after so many good years can feel so discouraging, and I'm really glad you're staying in close contact with your doctor and giving the medication time. Taking medicine is not a lack of faith.

One passage that has steadied me is Philippians 4:6-7: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Paul wrote that from prison, not from an easy place. He isn't scolding anxious people; he's inviting us to bring the anxiety itself to God, as often as it comes, and promising that God's peace will stand guard over us even when our feelings haven't caught up yet.

Praying today that the Lord would hold you through these weeks, give you restful sleep, and let you feel like yourself again soon.
 
Sep 29, 2026
21
32
13
43
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Praying for you. Fifteen years is a long road and I admire your honesty. Praying God gives you peace that steadies you as you step down the medication, and wisdom for your doctors. You are not fighting this alone.
 
  • Praying
Reactions: GRACE ambassador