Praying, blessing and communion at home.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings brothers and sisters,
Myself and two of my "blood AND spiritual) sisters spend about two hours on Sunday's to read, discuss and pray for many. We also take communion. We of course, model the taking of communion after Matthew 26.
Of course, since we do not live near each other, we gather together by 3 way video call. We simply use crackers and juice or water.
Only my youngest sister sometimes attends a huge church I used to belong to, but she is starting to watch it online. Neither myself or my other younger sister attend the "church building".
So, does anyone else do this?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Myself and two of my "blood AND spiritual) sisters spend about two hours on Sunday's to read, discuss and pray for many. We also take communion. We of course, model the taking of communion after Matthew 26.
Of course, since we do not live near each other, we gather together by 3 way video call. We simply use crackers and juice or water.
Only my youngest sister sometimes attends a huge church I used to belong to, but she is starting to watch it online. Neither myself or my other younger sister attend the "church building".
I have done it and was once a priest in a church, but I no longer give myself communion and repented of trying it on my own. Jesus, in the holy spirit, did have me give it to myself once. But I wait for him to tell me it's OK rather than assume.

I pray in the morning now, watch online church due to health problems such that I have trouble attending church in person, I also read the scriptures.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have done it and was once a priest in a church, but I no longer give myself communion and repented of trying it on my own. Jesus, in the holy spirit, did have me give it to myself once. But I wait for him to tell me it's OK rather than assume.

I pray in the morning now, watch online church due to health problems such that I have trouble attending church in person, I also read the scriptures.
I was born and raised Catholic. Sol I know where you are coming from. I have a different view here. The Last Supper" was a whole meal. And as we consume whole meals every day, I say we should do this everyday. There are many that do this. How and why would you think that it cannot be done?

I Corinthians 11:25-26 New King James Version (NKJV)
"In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes."

Reactions: shortangel

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was born and raised Catholic. Sol I know where you are coming from. I have a different view here. The Last Supper" was a whole meal. And as we consume whole meals every day, I say we should do this everyday. There are many that do this. How and why would you think that it cannot be done?

"In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes."
Easy, perhaps I am unworthy. But my belief is that only ordained priests can give the bread and wine. I don't believe anyone can do it. We had a guy a while ago on this forum that tried to baptize himself and thought he could. He was plagued afterward by evil spirits.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

I know the Apostles broke bread. And the people they led to salvation. So I can't tell anyone not to do it, except myself really:

Acts 2:41-42

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Last edited:
Reactions: shortangel

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have nobody to do it with but I would if I had. Sometimes alone with a glass of wine I hold it up and say thank you Jesus that your blood was shed for me. Our midweek bible group used to do it together when they met here in my home and that was always very moving; more so even than in a church setting as we were a close group.
Easy, perhaps I am unworthy. But my belief is that only ordained priests can give the bread and wine. I don't believe anyone can do it. We had a guy a while ago on this forum that tried to baptize himself and thought he could. He was plagued afterward by evil spirits.
As we are called a Royal Priesthood I believe any true Christian can administer the bread and wine, In my church it was always done by one of us chosen on the day by our leader - also not an 'ordained' person. I think to do it in an unworthy manner is perhaps to do it lightly or with unbelief. And I have actually performed a baptism as member of that Royal Priesthhod.
Also @devin553344 do you still believe it to be the actual body of Christ?

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have nobody to do it with but I would if I had. Sometimes alone with a glass of wine I hold it up and say thank you Jesus that your blood was shed for me. Our midweek bible group used to do it together when they met here in my home and that was always very moving; more so even than in a church setting as we were a close group.

As we are called a Royal Priesthood I believe any try Christian can administer the bread and wine, In my church it was always done by one of us chosen on the day by our leader - also not an 'ordained' person. I think to do it in an unworthy manner is perhaps to do it lightly or with unbelief. And I have actually performed a baptism as member of that Royal Priesthhod.
Also @devin553344 do you still believe it to be the actual body of Christ?
I have baptized before also in the church I was active in. But I was a priest then in that church.

No I don't believe bread is the body of Christ. I believe we become part of the body of Christ when we take the bread. But that is something God performs for us thru the Holy Spirit, he is not a piece of bread.

And if we sin afterwards then we might see the difference between our defiled nature and the holiness of his body, then we are guilty of the cross. That's what scripture teaches. I think Catholics believe it to be the actual body of Christ though. They even appear to treat it with some sort of worship.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have baptized before also in the church I was active in. But I was a priest then in that church.
No I don't believe bread is the body of Christ. I believe we become part of the body of Christ when we take the bread. But that is something God performs for us thru the Holy Spirit, he is not a piece of bread.

And if we sin afterwards then we might see the difference between our defiled nature and the holiness of his body, then we are guilty of the cross. That's what scripture teaches. I think Catholics believe it to be the actual body of Christ though. They even appear to treat it with some sort of worship.
Yes, Catholics do believe in what is called "Transubstantiation"

Tran·sub·stan·ti·a·tion
/ˌtran(t)səbˌstan(t)SHēˈāSHən/
1676246598084.png
noun
  • 1.(especially in the Roman Catholic Church) the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We know who are Master is, and so does He Know.
We do not attend a “church”.
Our “church” is within us.
We have no “set” time to fellowship. Daily time of day or evening or night.
Reading, discussing, thanking is usual throughout the day.
Times of personal prayers usual, yet so is talking to the Lord throughout the day usual, as He is always with us.
And..clothing we are wearing, bathrobe, grubby works clothes, dress clothes, beach clothes, of no matter.
~ Company, larger get-together, we pray in circle holding hands. “Head of family” leads the prayer, no mater whose home or place we gather.
~ Smaller, with friends, strangers, stores, where-ever, easy to have a quick conversation and prayer for Gods blessings.
~ And BTW, we routinely ask for holy angels to guide us, assist us, protect us; traveling, tasks, locating items, etc.

Matt 6:
[24] No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
[25] Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

For you Nancy, setting a time to long-distance fellowship with your sisters, I think is awesome.

Glory to God,
Taken

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Would the whole meal be all that we need or all even that God has for us in the moment? Could it be the whole of Jesus? Could that be all which a person may, with God's help, encounter in the written Bible?

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Remember this question, "What is it?" which is found in the OT in many places beginning perhaps here:

And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat. Ex 16:15

!m Man (mawn); Noun Masculine, Strong #: 4478
  1. manna
    1. the bread from Heaven that fed the Israelites for 40 years of wilderness wanderings
    2. means 'What is it?'
Then recall the words of Jesus here:

Joh 6:47Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
Joh 6:48I am that bread of life.
Joh 6:49Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
Joh 6:50This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

The question remains for each of us: What is it?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember this question, "What is it?" which is found in the OT in many places beginning perhaps here:

And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the LORD hath given you to eat. Ex 16:15

1. manna
    1. the bread from Heaven that fed the Israelites for 40 years of wilderness wanderings
    2. means 'What is it?'

Joh 6:47Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
Joh 6:50This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

I've learned that the Holy Spirit brings life to God's children. He created the Jesus in Mary's womb, He created the Universe in Genesis, Jesus commanded the elements with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can heal man. Basically the Holy Spirit can and does affect the physical world.

Jesus body is holy, which is why we don't take communion unworthily. His body can bring eternal life.

Jesus is in us and we in him, as quoted from scripture. When he wants he can bless us with eternal life thru his body. It's not literally eating him as the Catholics believe, but it's a metaphor to eating his body and drinking his blood.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,

My wife and I were taking communion at home while our church was shut down for covid. However, the pastor of our church now makes the point that communion is a sharing that shows us to be one, and therefore is intended to be practiced within the body and not in isolation.

Teaching in the Bible about the Lord's Supper presupposes a community setting.

1 Corinthians 11:33 KJV
Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

Just my thoughts . . .

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've learned that the Holy Spirit brings life to God's children. He created the Jesus in Mary's womb, He created the Universe in Genesis, Jesus commanded the elements with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can heal man. Basically the Holy Spirit can and does affect the physical world.

Jesus body is holy, which is why we don't take communion unworthily. His body can bring eternal life.

Jesus is in us and we in him, as quoted from scripture. When he wants he can bless us with eternal life thru his body. It's not literally eating him as the Catholics believe, but it's a metaphor to eating his body and drinking his blood.
It is what is it according to what God intended as men made their choices.

Jos 24:15And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Always the two choices have been there before men: Life or Death!

Jesus set the possibility of Life clearly before "whosoever will", but most people, it seems to me, prefer to continue in the death with which they were born. Jesus told us what to eat and drink, but apparently most people are not really hungry for the right things:

Mt 5:6Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

What is the righteousness about which Jesus speaks?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is what is it according to what God intended as men made their choices.

Jos 24:15And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Always the two choices have been there before men: Life or Death!

Jesus set the possibility of Life clearly before "whosoever will", but most people, it seems to me, prefer to continue in the death with which they were born. Jesus told us what to eat and drink, but apparently most people are not really hungry for the right things:

Mt 5:6Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

What is the righteousness about which Jesus speaks?
I have found that righteousness is exactly the point that Jesus makes in the bible. It is to love God and love your neighbor. Obeying the 10 commandments is a small sample of love. To not kill someone, or covet your neighbors things or their spouse. But Jesus taught to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked and tend to the sick, afflicted and share with the poor. That is what we ought to do to be Christians.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have found that righteousness is exactly the point that Jesus makes in the bible. It is to love God and love your neighbor. Obeying the 10 commandments is a small sample of love. To not kill someone, or covet your neighbors things or their spouse. But Jesus taught to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked and tend to the sick, afflicted and share with the poor. That is what we ought to do to be Christians.
Amen! God knows exactly what He has given each of us. He is really concerned, I believe, with what we are doing with what we have been given. [see Luke 12:48]

Reactions: dev553344

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I were taking communion at home while our church was shut down for covid. However, the pastor of our church now makes the point that communion is a sharing that shows us to be one, and therefore is intended to be practiced within the body and not in isolation.
That is certainly the ideal but many of us are no longer in fellowship with church groups.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. manna
    2. means 'What is it?'

FOLLOW CHRIST and love and sup and drink on His every word .
Folks are way too wrapped up in this ideal that only certain leaders can do and give communion .
IF but me and one other were together , I TELL US ALL that we would sit down together , JESUS WOULD BE WITH US
and we could simply do the communion in REMEMBRANCE of HIM.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is certainly the ideal but many of us are no longer in fellowship with church groups.
We went for about 2 1/2 years unchurched, it was so weird!

I can't think of any specific instruction or prohibition one way or the other, which to me leaves it between each of us and our Lord. I've partaken communion just by myself, and felt blessed of God in doing so. I thank Jesus for the assembly He brought us into! Oh . . . and the last two times they took communion, we were late, and missed it!

One of the beautiful things about God, He's about having relationship with His children, not just hanging them up by the rules. And if something bothers Him, He can most certainly let us know.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy