Praying to learn how to Pray....effectively

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me , the prayers that don’t get answered are the ones which are birthed our of need or a feeling of needing to pray.

God will always answer prayers birth within by the Holy Spirit .

Faith can only come via hearing from God Himself ....prayers birth ‘in the Spirit ‘ will be answered because we are praying ‘through Him ‘ and He through us.

Much like Issac and Ishmael , one the child of flesh , one the child of the promise .

So many prayers are prayers of the flesh .

Faith only moves ‘mountains ‘ via faith , and faith only comes through hearing.
So many people don’t have a clue how to hear from the Lord. As we have seen here , so many believe that we can only ‘hear ‘ by reading the Bible.

But God is alive and well and He speaks to His people ...it is a living relationship. ...that has always been His intent. Starting in Eden.

This is my two cents ....

Blessings ....H
I like that...prayers birth in the Spirit! and that really makes sense to me because it already shows you are not in the flesh. Thanks Helen!

Reactions: Helen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you abide in Me, and my words abide in you, ask what ever you will, and it shall be done for you.
When the righteous man is on his knees so is The Holy Spirit as One. And when you speak or pray in tongues, perhaps you should think about who is truly speaking. Since the day of my heart attack I have had a painful black mark on one of my toes. Everyday it has hurt. It has been 6 months of pain.Today I looked down and the mark was gone. And then I heard, "you did ask me to heal that did you not?". I had forgotten that I had asked for that last night. Perhaps this was to show what happened with the other petitions of last night, as well.
Praise God! Awesome testimony of healing! Thank you!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul "Thy will be done" means being willing to wait for answers to prayer in God's good time, focusing on Whom we pray to rather than demanding results according to our timetable.
Amen brother.....that one is a hard one to learn....learning to wait on the Lord. :)

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered years ago that unless our prayers are in line with His will they are useless, These days I don't pray as much as I used to because I think a lot of it was just 'babbling'.

A while ago I was praying about a really tricky family crisis; thanking and reminding God of his answer to past prayer. I was lead to, "Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21. I started to pray that God's purpose would prevail in the situation which had gone on getting worse and worse over about ten months. And within days the situation was turned on its head the crisis was averted and all was well.

So I've discovered that if God leads me to a scripture I will pray accordingly with complete confidence that I am praying according to his will.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I discovered years ago that unless our prayers are in line with His will they are useless, These days I don't pray as much as I used to because I think a lot of it was just 'babbling'.

A while ago I was praying about a really tricky family crisis; thanking and reminding God of his answer to past prayer. I was lead to, "Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21. I started to pray that God's purpose would prevail in the situation which had gone on getting worse and worse over about ten months. And within days the situation was turned on its head the crisis was averted and all was well.

So I've discovered that if God leads me to a scripture I will pray accordingly with complete confidence that I am praying according to his will.
@Pearl "Thy will be done" is indeed the right attitude.

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more I realize that my Faithful Creator is here with me now, Eternal and Everlasting, actively loving me in caring for me, nurturing me spiritually, building my faith so I can enjoy Him more, the more I have these things in mind, the more my prayers are conversations with my Creator. Sometimes through the Word, oftentimes! Sometimes through other ways.

The more I come to see His heart, I think the more I come to know His will. I don't know what is best, I only know what I and others want. Joseph didn't want to be sold into slavery, I'll bet he was praying!

I was having a real issue with anxiety the other day, sometimes that happens. It's like a real loud flesh-voice, but it can - paraptomata - good word, fall beside the way, it can cause me to forget my God and stop trusting, confess your paraptomata - faults - one to another, and pray for one another, that you (plural you) may be healed.

When we accept as reality that God is living in us, that God is there with us in every instant of our lives, and that in Jesus Christ - Not in ourselves, in Jesus - He accepts us completely, When we accept that God has taken upon Himself the burden of our sanctification, we become free to know Him, and to receive from Him all He wants to give us.

Without faith it is impossible to please God, because you have to believe He exists, and that He rewards those who seek Him.

Seek Him, in your heart, in your mind, Knowing, Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. And I know that Scripture describes Him, so this One who is here with me is as the Bible says.

Knowing He is with me with love and acceptance is the state of faith we are to live in, and our new creation responds to the Holy Spirit in that faith. We find temptations fade away. Those that don't are met with strength. Christ is unto us righteousness and sanctification and wisdom.

Walking with God makes us more like Him, our hearts more like His, and as our hearts become more like His, our will and understanding become more like His and our prayers are what He intends.

I know there are some who say that they only make request of God when they believe the Holy Spirit is giving them specific direction to pray. But then, James wrote, you have not because you ask not.

I'm a kid. I get to bug Dad! Seriously, I'm not concerned about asking for things God doesn't plan to do, because I know He will guide me if I'm in error. But I do get to be a little kid! That's really what I am anyway.

And on the other end of the spectrum, several times reading Psalms, in particular, these have turned out to be what I'll call prayers of power, where God did strange and wonderful things. Reading along and I realize, this isn't just reading. Now, I can't say that will happen for someone else. I think God has a personal and unique relationship with each of us. I don't speak in tongues. But I guess sometimes the Holy Spirit prays through my reading.

Great thread, @Heart2Soul !

Much love!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more I realize that my Faithful Creator is here with me now, Eternal and Everlasting, actively loving me in caring for me, nurturing me spiritually, building my faith so I can enjoy Him more, the more I have these things in mind, the more my prayers are conversations with my Creator. Sometimes through the Word, oftentimes! Sometimes through other ways.

The more I come to see His heart, I think the more I come to know His will. I don't know what is best, I only know what I and others want. Joseph didn't want to be sold into slavery, I'll bet he was praying!

I was having a real issue with anxiety the other day, sometimes that happens. It's like a real loud flesh-voice, but it can - paraptomata - good word, fall beside the way, it can cause me to forget my God and stop trusting, confess your paraptomata - faults - one to another, and pray for one another, that you (plural you) may be healed.

When we accept as reality that God is living in us, that God is there with us in every instant of our lives, and that in Jesus Christ - Not in ourselves, in Jesus - He accepts us completely, When we accept that God has taken upon Himself the burden of our sanctification, we become free to know Him, and to receive from Him all He wants to give us.

Without faith it is impossible to please God, because you have to believe He exists, and that He rewards those who seek Him.

Seek Him, in your heart, in your mind, Knowing, Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. And I know that Scripture describes Him, so this One who is here with me is as the Bible says.

Knowing He is with me with love and acceptance is the state of faith we are to live in, and our new creation responds to the Holy Spirit in that faith. We find temptations fade away. Those that don't are met with strength. Christ is unto us righteousness and sanctification and wisdom.

Walking with God makes us more like Him, our hearts more like His, and as our hearts become more like His, our will and understanding become more like His and our prayers are what He intends.

I know there are some who say that they only make request of God when they believe the Holy Spirit is giving them specific direction to pray. But then, James wrote, you have not because you ask not.

I'm a kid. I get to bug Dad! Seriously, I'm not concerned about asking for things God doesn't plan to do, because I know He will guide me if I'm in error. But I do get to be a little kid! That's really what I am anyway.

And on the other end of the spectrum, several times reading Psalms, in particular, these have turned out to be what I'll call prayers of power, where God did strange and wonderful things. Reading along and I realize, this isn't just reading. Now, I can't say that will happen for someone else. I think God has a personal and unique relationship with each of us. I don't speak in tongues. But I guess sometimes the Holy Spirit prays through my reading.

Much love!
WOW...just absolutely WOW....what a revelation of His Truth! A WORD OF WISDOM in DUE SEASON.....
I am so thankful that you waited and sought this out....it is powerful and it has the anointing of His Hidden Wisdom on it.
Thank you for sharing!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
WOW...just absolutely WOW....what a revelation of His Truth! A WORD OF WISDOM in DUE SEASON.....
I am so thankful that you waited and sought this out....it is powerful and it has the anointing of His Hidden Wisdom on it.
Thank you for sharing!
@Heart2Soul Romans 8, with its references to the Spirit of adoption crying Abba, Father, and to Christ's intercession for the believer, is a great source about prayer.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am finally learning to seek His Will (purpose) as well....I think the Lord's Prayer really did have the answer on how to pray I just didn't get it.
1. First acknowledge Him and honor Him
2. Pray His Will be done
3. Always make Him the source you trust in to supply your daily needs.
4. Forgiveness of others and confession and repentance of your own sins asking His forgiveness.
5. Daily seek Him to keep you from evil
6. Offering of thanks, being humble and grateful that it's only possible if we seek His Will not ours.
Whew!
I knew there would be alot of wisdom here!
Thanks sister!

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

We all have our own crosses to bare.Your anxiety has been your cross to bare. Speak to it, and confront it out loud, as One, and you will discover a truth. A good shepherd will always protect the flock, especially when he can see the wolf coming.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am finally learning to seek His Will (purpose) as well....I think the Lord's Prayer really did have the answer on how to pray I just didn't get it.
1. First acknowledge Him and honor Him
2. Pray His Will be done
3. Always make Him the source you trust in to supply your daily needs.
4. Forgiveness of others and confession and repentance of your own sins asking His forgiveness.
5. Daily seek Him to keep you from evil
6. Offering of thanks, being humble and grateful that it's only possible if we seek His Will not ours.
Whew!
I knew there would be alot of wisdom here!
Thanks sister!
Absolutely!
I have included what is known as the Lord's Prayer in my morning time with God daily for many years. The structure of it helps me to remember what I really need to be doing and saying and asking until they become part of me and I become more like Him!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have been praying and seeking Him on how to pray more effectively...there are people who claim He answers every single one of their prayers and that just isn't always the case with me...so I have come to the conclusion I need to learn how to pray EFFECTIVELY...

“Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
James 5:16 (KJV)

So when you read the scripture above it sounds pretty simple.....but look at how many adjectives there are and adverbs to this verse...
Effectual---How do you know whether you are being effectual in your prayer...what makes it effectiual..

Fervent-...just how fervent must we be?

Righteous- well we all know there is none righteous...no not one.

Availeth- meaning their prayer is guaranteed to get results?

This is just a kick start....I want to bring up other scriptures as well...
My hope is that I will gain some wisdom through this thread...and we may all gain wisdom...Amen!
I think Paul is saying, 'be real' don't just go through the motions and pedal an image that convinces oneself and hopes, God also.

There is a quality to realness that is palpable.....an example of it might be when Jesus says of Nathaniel, 'an Israelite indeed'. Jesus saw to the heart of Nathaniel. His image was consistent with his heart.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
James 5:16 (KJV)
I keep coming back to thinking about the plural 'you', that you plural may be healed.

I think there can be a group healing, that we each one of us can heal, and together our divisions can heal, as we confess our faults, our "falling beside the way", to each other, and pray for each other.

upload_2020-9-25_8-2-15.png
Be confessing to one another the faults, and be praying for one another so that you may be healed, the very strong petition of the just one working. (my rewording)

From Vincent's Word Studies:

The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (πολὺ ἰσχύει δέησις δικαίου ἐνεργουμένη)

Lit., much availeth (ἰσχύει, is strong), the prayer of a righteous man working or operating. The rendering of the A. V., besides being unwarranted by the text, is almost a truism. An effectual prayer is a prayer that avails. The Rev. is at once more correct and more natural: The supplication of a righteous man availeth much in its working.

From Robertson's Word Pictures:

Pray for one another (proseuchesthe huper allēlōn). Present middle imperative. Keep this up.

That ye may be healed (hopōs iathēte). Purpose clause with hopōs and the first aorist passive subjunctive of iaomai. Probably of bodily healing (Jas_5:14), though iaomai is used also of healing of the soul (Mat_13:15; 1Pe_2:24; Heb_12:13) as Mayor takes it here.

Availeth much (polu ischuei). “Has much force.” Present active indicative of ischuō (from ischus, strength).

In its working (energoumenē). Probably the present middle participle of energeō as Paul apparently uses it in Gal_5:6; 2Co_4:12; 2Th_2:7, meaning “when it works.” The passive is possible, as is the usual idiom elsewhere. Mayor argues strongly for the passive here, “when it is exercised” (Ropes).

and finally, my comment . . .

Be confessing your faults to one another, and be praying for one another, that all of you may be being healed. The prayer of the righteous man has great strength in it's working!

That would be my understanding of this verse.

We should be availing ourselves of each other by our openness and honesty. Because when we pray for each other, those prayers are powerful, and will give us the healing we seek.

Much love!

@Heart2Soul