Prohibition and Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised LDS and followed it for about 38 years from childhood until 38 years of age. I always thought drinking was a sin.

It wasn't until later that I realized that drinking is all thru out the bible. It is even prescribed as a medicinal value in Psalms. And now days with our advanced medicine and technology they would prescribe the horrific opioid pain killers, instead of the less damaging alcohol. I think the government would love it if they could enforce prohibition. Have we really come that far in medicine? Perhaps in some areas we have. And opioids do serve a short term purpose. But for long term minor physical and emotional, mental pain relief perhaps alcohol is the best medicine.

Proverbs 31
6 Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to those who are bitter of heart.
7 Let him drink and forget his poverty,
And remember his misery no more.

The bible also makes it clear that we should not be drinking during the day, but instead be productive. There is a time and such for drinking. And there is clear evidence that the wine they were drinking even in the new testament was fermented. And probably around 15-20% alcohol.

Noah drank, Lot drank (although both extreme examples of people that lost everything), Jesus and the Apostles drank moderately, Jesus created wine from water. Etc, Etc, Etc.

Ideas?
i do not judge people who drink alcohol but God says drunkards will not inherit the Kingdom of God

i have seen the destructive damage alcohol did to my father and brothers and friends

BEST to be filled with the Holy Spirit

On Passover and Thanksgiving i will have a couple glasses of wine = but never strong drink

There is evidence that a 'little' wine is beneficial for health = just stay with the 'little' amount = a glass full and not half the bottle

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i do not judge people who drink alcohol but God says drunkards will not inherit the Kingdom of God

i have seen the destructive damage alcohol did to my father and brothers and friends

On Passover and Thanksgiving i will have a couple glasses of wine = but never strong drink
Sorry you got affected by that. I don't know what that is like.

I'm anonymous so I will share a little: My father never touched a drink. He was abusive to my mother and us kids and it affected the whole family in negative ways. He is what Alcoholics Anonymous would call a dry drunk in his behaviors. Snappy and mean in his demeanor. If he drank it would be a disaster.

Most of us still love him, but most of his family won't talk to him anymore. There are still a couple of us that visit him and he is slowly turning around to God. It is nice to see. But I am often still shocked and sometimes embarrassed by what he does and says.

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry you got affected by that. I don't know what that is like.

I'm anonymous so I will share a little: My father never touched a drink. He was abusive to my mother and us kids and it affected the whole family in negative ways. He is what Alcoholics Anonymous would call a dry drunk in his behaviors. Snappy and mean in his demeanor. If he drank it would be a disaster.

Most of us still love him, but my brother won't talk to him and neither will his sister and brother now. There are still a couple of us that visit him and he is slowly turning around to God. It is nice to see. But I am often still shocked and sometimes embarrassed by what he does and says.

Alcohol is just not a healthy choice for the vast majority of people = too much damage occurs

Every year we hear about the deaths of innocent people by drunk drivers.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alcohol is just not a healthy choice for the vast majority of people = too much damage occurs

Every year we hear about the deaths of innocent people by drunk drivers.

I don't know about the percentage. But I have plenty of friends that drink and have get togethers. Or they go out and have a drink at restaurants. I haven't heard of any of them having trouble over it. Plenty of happy facebook posts from them.

I do know that some people, it is better if they don't drink. My brother drinks and his family is happy. Some people though, with their personality shouldn't drink. Perhaps alcohol makes them do things worse than they already are.

Hmmm.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know about the percentage. But I have plenty of friends that drink and have get togethers. Or they go out and have a drink at restaurants. I haven't heard of any of them having trouble over it. Plenty of happy facebook posts from them.

I do know that some people, it is better if they don't drink. My brother drinks and his family is happy. Some people though, with their personality shouldn't drink. Perhaps alcohol makes them do things worse than they already are.

Hmmm.

There are people who 'handle' alcohol better then others.

For us who belong to Christ, the Holy Spirit is our Filling and Joy and the Reason for Gathering.

Even the people who drink 'responsibly' have encountered other mishaps and problems associated with alcohol.

If you want to drink, do so as the Scripture declares = "a little wine for your stomach and minor ailments"

If it turns into a controlling habit = you will have serious problems

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you teaching them to abstain?
I hadn't notice that?

"behold, you can't be serious....how can you say that alcohol harms anyone........c'mon behold, ... have a tody for the body".

So, run along.
Its enough. @dev553344

You've made your point.
Ive addressed it.
Let the reader decide.
See you there.
Behold, I'm ignoring you because you're not even debating with me. I posted scripture that you completely ignore and don't address which counters you arguments. I can't seem to have a discussion with you so I usually look past your posts. And then I see that you quote only a portion of what I write in an attempt to twist what I am saying into what you want people to hear.

You made the accusation against me that I am teaching Christians to drink. Yet this discussion is whether others have the right to tell them they cannot drink.

Yes let the reader not be deceived!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is evidence that a 'little' wine is beneficial for health = just stay with the 'little' amount = a glass full and not half the bottle
David, I was curious about that term in the Bible "strong drink" and checked some Bible dictionaries recently to see what that is. It is not distilled spirits for that did not exist then. It seems to be a drink fermented from items other than grapes. Maybe that produced a stronger fermented alcohol content? It may be good to check again in scripture to see if there is a connection between that "strong drink" and the fermented ones of the idolatrous nations? Just a thought....

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bit of difference between Christ's day and our day.
I can't imagine anyone doing a hit and run or fatality when riding a camel while intoxicated.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There are people who 'handle' alcohol better then others.

For us who belong to Christ, the Holy Spirit is our Filling and Joy and the Reason for Gathering.

Even the people who drink 'responsibly' have encountered other mishaps and problems associated with alcohol.

If you want to drink, do so as the Scripture declares = "a little wine for your stomach and minor ailments"

If it turns into a controlling habit = you will have serious problems
As someone who knows what alcoholism did to my family growing up, I can add to that that no one even knows when he starts drinking socially that he won't be among the two out of five or six people who will wind up addicted and destroying his life and his family.

Everyone thinks when he starts "I'll never wind up needing this".

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As someone who knows what alcoholism did to my family growing up, I can add to that that no one even knows when he starts drinking socially that he won't be among the two out of five or six people who will wind up addicted and destroying his life and his family.

Everyone thinks when he starts "I'll never wind up needing this".
Correct - i have heard unfortunate testimony of how some people were hooked on their first drink.

Reactions: Zao is life