Protestant Reformation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thorwald

Apr 7, 2011
Thunder Bay
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why did the Protestant Reformation occur? Did God have a hand in this? Was it for His purpose?

The battles between Protestants/Roman Catholics/Orthodox, were often very brutal. These religions, worship the same God, and accept Christ as their saviour. All basically follow the same scriptures. We all know, that the Protestants avoid the use of any idolic figurine, refuse to call any 'man' [spiritual] "Father" (as instructed by N/T scripture), and avoid making 'man-made' saints, etc. The big question that I have, is why all of a sudden, was there a Protestant 'movement'? Was this movement inspired by God?

Is it possible, that the Protestant Reformation, was the beginning of 'the grafting back in of the Israelites' (including those who believe that they are gentiles, but are actually Israelites)? Did God 'cleanse' His church/Word, before the grafting back in could take place? This is a very interesting possibility.

Another interesting question, is; "Was it necessary to have Christ crucified during the passover, in order to 'keep holy', the Israelites who believed that they were gentiles?" The Israelites were commanded to celebrate the passover annually. By celebrating the death and resurrection of Christ during the passover week, are we not also celebrating the passover? Hmm! :)

Thorwald Johansen

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Why did the Protestant Reformation occur? Did God have a hand in this? Was it for His purpose?

The battles between Protestants/Roman Catholics/Orthodox, were often very brutal. These religions, worship the same God, and accept Christ as their saviour. All basically follow the same scriptures. We all know, that the Protestants avoid the use of any idolic figurine, refuse to call any 'man' [spiritual] "Father" (as instructed by N/T scripture), and avoid making 'man-made' saints, etc. The big question that I have, is why all of a sudden, was there a Protestant 'movement'? Was this movement inspired by God?

Is it possible, that the Protestant Reformation, was the beginning of 'the grafting back in of the Israelites' (including those who believe that they are gentiles, but are actually Israelites)? Did God 'cleanse' His church/Word, before the grafting back in could take place? This is a very interesting possibility.

Another interesting question, is; "Was it necessary to have Christ crucified during the passover, in order to 'keep holy', the Israelites who believed that they were gentiles?" The Israelites were commanded to celebrate the passover annually. By celebrating the death and resurrection of Christ during the passover week, are we not also celebrating the passover? Hmm! :)

Thorwald Johansen

I would say that the significance of the Reformation was the creation of movable type. I would also say there is much political maneuvering that were all to willing to find a justification to take temporal powers as being more authoritative then the powers invested by Christ through his apostolic ecclesia. If you want to watch a good movie, watch "A Man of All Seasons" which is about Sir/St. Thomas More. He had a very keen legal mind for his age.

I do not think the grafting back is anything part with the Protestant Reformation. If anything, Jews were maltreated by Protestants just the same. There is probably a greater dialogue between Jewish rabbis and the Catholic Church, after all even with all the Protestant and Orthodox denominations combined the Catholic Church still remains the largest.

Last question is no. The Passover as it was celebrated was the day after Christ died and before his resurrection. Recall, they could not work on the Passover and so had the legs of the theives broken and Christ was already dead that his side was pierced and blood and water flowed from his side. There is a problem with dating Easter also, as the changes in calendar from the Jewish to the Gregorian and Julian dates varies. The Eastern Orthodox and Catholic Church sometimes falls on two different days, a lot of the time they are the same. There is also some difference in the Eastern Orthodox and Catholic/Protestant practice in that the Eastern Orthodox uses leavened bread and the Catholic/Protestants use unleavened bread for the Eucharist/Communion/Lord's Supper. The reason the Catholics and Protestants use it denotes more agreement with the Jewish seder and the celebration of unleavened bread. However, the Orthodox seems to have a more ancient root and the Christians did indeed practice with leavened bread because it signifies Christ's resurrection as the yeast in bread makes it rise. There are many other such problems in praxis. It would be best to not assume too much on the matter.

TheWarIs1

Dec 11, 2009
The reformation was Luthers idea and who knows how many people held similar views that the Catholic church was getting to far from the scriptures.
Luther loved the Catholic church from what I've read and was only interested in changing it for the better.
The Catholic church was not wanting change or to have members attempting to make changes so they asked for his head.

I do believe the Lord was the reason behind it.

While it may not sit well with members who like the Catholic church there are dates which point to the death and rebirth of the Catholic church from a prophetical timeline as being part of the beast that died of mortal wound and whose deadly wound was healed.
Rev 13:12

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
The reformation was Luthers idea and who knows how many people held similar views that the Catholic church was getting to far from the scriptures.
Luther loved the Catholic church from what I've read and was only interested in changing it for the better.
The Catholic church was not wanting change or to have members attempting to make changes so they asked for his head.

I do believe the Lord was the reason behind it.

While it may not sit well with members who like the Catholic church there are dates which point to the death and rebirth of the Catholic church from a prophetical timeline as being part of the beast that died of mortal wound and whose deadly wound was healed.
Rev 13:12

The manner in which change was demanded was inconsistent. None of the major reformers even agree with each other. Zwigli and Luther didn't hit it off very well, and Calvin and Arminius did not either. You must realize that the "Counter Reformation" happened even before Luther. There were Catholics calling for reform within the Church, but they were not demanding it through temporal governmental powers. Perhaps the earliest of reformers that demonstrates this is St. Francis of Assisi in around the early 1200s, some three hundred years before Luther. His example of reform was to live the Gospel and so bring about reform passively within the Church. The manner in which Luther did it was not done with this mentality. He was neither obedient to his superiors as St. Francis was nor was he obedient to his conscience to live the Gospel in being a peacemaker. Luther was an enigma, a paradox. It is difficult to disect him, for I am unsure he even knew what he wanted.

Job one

Jan 9, 2008
Western USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thorwald Johansen

I certainly cannot speak for others views, but from my observation and understanding, I for one believe that the protestant reformers were some of the finest men the Lord had to step forth and take a bold stand against corruption and apostacy.

Did those founding fathers of the great reformation exercise great faith? Certainly!

Did those founding fathers of the great reformation receive inspiration from almighty God in their work? Absolutely!

Did those mighty and courageous pioneers of the reformation step forth boldly in the cause of Christ to prepare the way for a new era of religious freedom? With out question!

Did those great men such as William Tyndale, John Frith, John Rogers and others, who sacrificed all to translate the Bible into English and other languages have inspiration and power to accomplish their mighty work? Absolutely!

How many of our children or grandchildren, for example, clearly understand that it was forbidden for all except the clergy to even have or read from the bible? How many clearly understand that some were put to death for even teaching their children from the bible?

How many of us fully understand the details and events leading up to the martyrdom of Rev. John Rogers as the first martyr of the English reformation?

If it were not for those great reformers, we might well, in our day, be modern victims of the inquisition. We might well be still in the dark ages.

Let us not forget the great works they have done that have bequeathed the blessings of religious freedom and gift of the scriptures we enjoy today!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
The manner in which change was demanded was inconsistent. None of the major reformers even agree with each other. Zwigli and Luther didn't hit it off very well, and Calvin and Arminius did not either. You must realize that the "Counter Reformation" happened even before Luther. There were Catholics calling for reform within the Church, but they were not demanding it through temporal governmental powers. Perhaps the earliest of reformers that demonstrates this is St. Francis of Assisi in around the early 1200s, some three hundred years before Luther. His example of reform was to live the Gospel and so bring about reform passively within the Church. The manner in which Luther did it was not done with this mentality. He was neither obedient to his superiors as St. Francis was nor was he obedient to his conscience to live the Gospel in being a peacemaker. Luther was an enigma, a paradox. It is difficult to disect him, for I am unsure he even knew what he wanted.

I agree with you Col.

I say the Protestant reformers were more politically motivated and more focus on the worldly agenda and pushed a more simplistic view of Christianity to the common people.

Protestants do water the Catholic truths down and are happy to just sit back and slander a lot of what the Catholic Church really is on about.
Slander is a work of the Devil so i had to come out form amongst them and have rejected protestantism because of it. but i am not a cathlic catholic as so many of them are just as ignorant as the protestants.

The Catholic Church has a position on what it has done wrong in the past but a lot of prots are uneducated on this position and are completely ignorant of it.

And not one of them so called reformers became a Saint.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011

Thorwald Johansen

True Christians are Israel.

Israel created Christianity.

Jews are just jews just like and other idiot fool not in the Lord. don't idolise Jews or any man.

Protestantism is more like it's inspired by a more worldly directed show.