Psalm 139

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When David wrote this Psalm I can only believe he actually understood more about God than any of us ever will. It is the most intimate Psalm regarding the relationship of our Father to us, His children...Let's capture that sense of awe that David had...Let us truly understand and believe in a Loving Father who knows EVERYTHING about us, past...present...and future. Nothing is hid from Him!
AMEN?
Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart
Psalm 139

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David.
1. O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.

5 You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.
7 Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you.
19 Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God! O men of blood, depart from me!
20 They speak against you with malicious intent; your enemies take your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
22 I hate them with complete hatred; I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Heart2Soul God has a lot to offer men, of Himself if men would give Him but one ear.

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

R

Rita

I often like to understand the psalms in relation to when David wrote them. This one was written when he had much opposition against him, possibly when Saul was very much against him. On a human level he was on the run, in trouble, and fearful ( I was looking at 1 Samuel earlier and read about him pretending to be insane when someone recognised who he was, once he escaped he ended up in the caves hiding ) so he leans on the truth of all that God means to him. I am sure he must have questioned, at the time, why things were unfolding as they were. Wonder if that was why he asked the Lord to search him as he endeavoured to work it all out.
Amazing psalm xx
Rita

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul God has a lot to offer men, of Himself if men would give Him but one ear.

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Amen, I am only cheating myself by not fully tapping into His fullness of all He is....l am learning to meditate on scripture and I believe it is going to propel me to the next level...so to speak.

Reactions: Helen and marks

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often like to understand the psalms in relation to when David wrote them. This one was written when he had much opposition against him, possibly when Saul was very much against him. On a human level he was on the run, in trouble, and fearful ( I was looking at 1 Samuel earlier and read about him pretending to be insane when someone recognised who he was, once he escaped he ended up in the caves hiding ) so he leans on the truth of all that God means to him. I am sure he must have questioned, at the time, why things were unfolding as they were. Wonder if that was why he asked the Lord to search him as he endeavoured to work it all out.
Amazing psalm xx
Rita
Probably was...I heard someone say we are our best when we are going thru our worst.

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When David wrote this Psalm I can only believe he actually understood more about God than any of us ever will. It is the most intimate Psalm regarding the relationship of our Father to us, His children...Let's capture that sense of awe that David had...Let us truly understand and believe in a Loving Father who knows EVERYTHING about us, past...present...and future. Nothing is hid from Him!
AMEN?

I think much of the Psalms are the thoughts and feelings of Jesus when He walked the earth. So I like to read them that way and see what happens.

Psalm 139
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.

8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you.
20 They speak against you with malicious intent; your enemies take your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, I am only cheating myself by not fully tapping into His fullness of all He is....l am learning to meditate on scripture and I believe it is going to propel me to the next level...so to speak.
That's exactly how this life works!

:)

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In this part I see the innerworkings of . . . committing myself to Him as unto a Faithful Creator.

He made me, put me together every little bit, every step of the way. He knows all of my ways, and all my innerworkings. So He has full and complete understanding of me, and of my life, and why it is this way.

And He's not done forming me yet. He is still forming Christ in me.

Much love!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this part I see the innerworkings of . . . committing myself to Him as unto a Faithful Creator.

He made me, put me together every little bit, every step of the way. He knows all of my ways, and all my innerworkings. So He has full and complete understanding of me, and of my life, and why it is this way.

Much love!
Amen....everytime I start feeling critical of my failures and weaknesses I like to read this Psalm again to remind me He is my creator and is molding me and making me into a new creation in Christ.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
AMEN?
Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart
Psalm 139

It is so searching as a Psalm; and indeed 'search' seems to be a keyword.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Amen....everytime I start feeling critical of my failures and weaknesses I like to read this Psalm again to remind me He is my creator and is molding me and making me into a new creation in Christ.
@Heart2Soul We are so privileged to have more Scripture revelation (in the NT) than David did, yet he grasped spiritual realities so deeply, it seems.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul We are so privileged to have more Scripture revelation (in the NT) than David did, yet he grasped spiritual realities so deeply, it seems.
I know, He didn't have a Bible to go to for encouragement....it was all straight from his own heart.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Much love!
@marks Reminds me also of what Paul says in Ephesians 3 about the 'inner man'.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 139

Wow. What a wonderful thread and such great responses. I have to stand in awe of His grace, too; how He was thinking of me LONG before I was even born. His love is beyond belief sometimes. V.5 insinuates that He loves us so much that He arranges things so we almost cannot stray from His path. He thinks of everything in advance. We may be stubborn and try to go our own way, but He hems us in so that even when we make mistakes He governs our courses and draws us back, right back to where we were supposed to be, in His grace.

What an amazing God we serve!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 103
13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.