Purgatory True of False

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your personal opinion of what sound Biblical doctrines are!
I take my beliefs directly from the word of God with the help of the Holy Spirit. I continue to gain knowledge in his word and expect that to never end. I subscribe to the use of textualism. The practice of adhering to the actual text "when the plain reading makes common sense, seek no other sense. An Exegete.
All understanding must be validated in the scriptures. I do not rely on the teachings of fallible men alone. Denominational statements of beliefs must be supported in the scriptures. No one has truthful revelation counter to the word of God, not a Pope, Pastor, Evangelist, or even an Angel.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I take my beliefs directly from the word of God with the help of the Holy Spirit. I continue to gain knowledge in his word and expect that to never end. I subscribe to the use of textualism. The practice of adhering to the actual text "when the plain reading makes common sense, seek no other sense. An Exegete.
All understanding must be validated in the scriptures. I do not rely on the teachings of fallible men alone. Denominational statements of beliefs must be supported in the scriptures. No one has truthful revelation counter to the word of God, not a Pope, Pastor, Evangelist, or even an Angel.

You take your beliefs directly from the word of God with the help of the Holy Spirit - you and thousands of others, and the Holy Spirit guides you all into numerous contradictory interpretations.
Peter warned against such private interpretations.(2Pet 1:20). And the splintering of Protestantism into tens of thousands of groups all claiming their contradictory "truths" shows the wisdom of Peter's warning.

Moreover Scripture sys that the church is the pillar and bulwark of truth, not the Bible, not private interpretation. (1Tim 3:15)

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You take your beliefs directly from the word of God with the help of the Holy Spirit - you and thousands of others, and the Holy Spirit guides you all into numerous contradictory interpretations.
Peter warned against such private interpretations.(2Pet 1:20). And the splintering of Protestantism into tens of thousands of groups all claiming their contradictory "truths" shows the wisdom of Peter's warning.

Moreover Scripture sys that the church is the pillar and bulwark of truth, not the Bible, not private interpretation. (1Tim 3:15)
It's all good Mungo. You can go to Purgatory and I will go directly to Heaven. Now we are both happy.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's all good Mungo. You can go to Purgatory and I will go directly to Heaven. Now we are both happy.

I hope I will go directly to heaven. But if I'm not perfect when I die it's good to know that I will still make it, albeit a little delayed. :)

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. If it applies to the whole Bible why did the "reformers" take 7 books out of the Bible?
God is the Author and dictated the words He desired written even to distinguish a word whether it is a singular or a plural word (Galtians 3:16)
If there were 7 books the reformers took out off the Bible then I can assure you they were never part of Scripture. Again, God is the Author of the Bible not the reformers!!!

Maccabees is part of the Bible, at least for the majority of Christians. It was only removed by the "reformers" in the 16th century.

Again if any books or any part that were not intended to be in the Bible, God has made it to be so. For example: Many claim that Mark 16:9-19 should not be part of the Bible and should have ended at verse 8, but they remain because they have significant truths that only true believers should understand.

[QUOTE="Mungo, post: 1175786, member: 4873"]No God isn't saying that. When John wrote Revelation the Bible wasn't even compiled.[/QUOTE]

When John wrote this book (of the Bible) he meant the one he was writing (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit). 2 Peter 2:21

.[/QUOTE]You need to be an incredible contortionist to think it applied to the whole Bible.[/QUOTE]

Better to be a contortionist than not able to understand nor have wisdom in the things of God.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God is the Author and dictated the words He desired written even to distinguish a word whether it is a singular or a plural word (Galtians 3:16)
If there were 7 books the reformers took out off the Bible then I can assure you they were never part of Scripture. Again, God is the Author of the Bible not the reformers!!!

No, the Church got it correct at the beginning.
You are suggesting God took 1500 years to correct an error in the compilation of the OT.
That's fantasy.

Again if any books or any part that were not intended to be in the Bible, God has made it to be so. For example: Many claim that Mark 16:9-19 should not be part of the Bible and should have ended at verse 8, but they remain because they have significant truths that only true believers should understand.

In your personal and fallible opinion.
More fantasy.

Better to be a contortionist than not able to understand nor have wisdom in the things of God.

To God Be The Glory
It is better to not be a contortionist and take the words of God as they are written.
The Greek word biblou translated as book, but more accurately scroll is singular not plural. As you said above, if it is written singular then that is what God intended.