Question in Genesis

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
I have 2 questions in two different verses in Genesis.In Genesis 1:26 6And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.The word 'our' comes up multiple times. Is the in respect to the trinity? I'm not really sure so I am open to whatever.And in Genesis 6:33And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.The laster part, does that mean that the people of this time all lived to be 120yrs of age?

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(followerofchrist;46403)
I have 2 questions in two different verses in Genesis.In Genesis 1:26 6And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.The word 'our' comes up multiple times. Is the in respect to the trinity? I'm not really sure so I am open to whatever.Yes this is believed to allude to the Holy Trinity, but it has also been translated to include the Angels by some.And in Genesis 6:33And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.The laster part, does that mean that the people of this time all lived to be 120yrs of age?
I gave mankind 120 years to repent before God flooded the world, but it is also interprited to mean man was not to live over 120 years of age, but as we know Noah lived much longer and we do not know definitively if God actually gave Noah 120 years to built the Ark or not because it is not specific so it is a bit open to interpritation so long as that interpritation doesnt cntradict the rest of the bible.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(followerofchrist;46403)
I have 2 questions in two different verses in Genesis.In Genesis 1:26 6And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.The word 'our' comes up multiple times. Is the in respect to the trinity? I'm not really sure so I am open to whatever.And in Genesis 6:33And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.The laster part, does that mean that the people of this time all lived to be 120yrs of age?
Well I dont know about the flood being 120 years I would have to look at it but I know Seth wasnt born until Adam was 130 It was the designated generation of that day for time keeping the same as 70 years, and 40 years it wasnt nessarily that you lived exactly that long it was just the average number of years in a generation. Then the next Generation took over120,70, 40 years are the designated generations in scripture God often says he will do something in a generation its his way of telling us his time frame. Now the Our is God and the Angels we know a few by name Michael and Gabriel ect. All angels are seen as men when they interact with us they look like menThey are in spirit bodies yes but they look like men, same as Christ when he was resurected he looked like a man.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(followerofchrist;46403)
[1] The Hebrew word for "God" in Genesis 1:26. Genesis 1: 1. Genesis 3: 22. Along with other scriptures, Is, "Elohim" Meaning more then two, The Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Note, in Gen 1: 26, and Gen 3: 22. the word "US".[2] God said that we could live to 120. years. some people are, an have lived up to that age. The medical people wander why people have to die so early.

koulourakia_girl

Apr 21, 2008
(Alanforchrist;46422)
[1] The Hebrew word for "God" in Genesis 1:26. Genesis 1: 1. Genesis 3: 22. Along with other scriptures, Is, "Elohim" Meaning more then two, The Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Note, in Gen 1: 26, and Gen 3: 22. the word "US".
Very true, but Elohim is more than a reference to the Trinity. Elohim refers to all of the attributes of God....the ways in which we can know the unknowable King, the ways in which he manifests and reveals Himself to mankind - in terms of His Spirit, His Son (I and the Father are one), his Character (mercy, Grace, Love, Judgment etc etc). This verse does not refer to the creation of Mankind in the PHYSICAL image of God, as God is SPIRIT. Instead, the passage refers to an INNER LIKENESS. The phrase used in Genesis is b'tselem Elohim....tselem means "Image", but the root of the word carries connotations of an 'image of a shadow.' Think of this as an example, say I was outside while the sun were out and I placed my hand above the pavement so it cast a shadow on the sidewalk. From looking at the shadow you could make-out certain characteristics about my hand, but not the totality of what makes my hand mine. It is the same with our creation in God's Image. We do not express all there is to know about God – any more than a shadow reflects all there is to know about the object that casts it. God is much more than the Attributes that are reflected in Mankind.The way in which we are created in His Image, is by that Inner likeness that we share with Him...there is NO indication in Scripture that indicates that we are made in the PHYSICAL likeness of God...instead, we have numerous examples of God humbling Himself to our level.

Lionroot

Mar 4, 2007
(followerofchrist;46403)
In Genesis 1:26 6And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.The word 'our' comes up multiple times. Is the in respect to the trinity? I'm not really sure so I am open to whatever.
There are other scriptures about this event to consider.
Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
What is interesting is that the "sons of God" is from the word Elohim, and is the same word translated God in the Genesis scriptures you listed. I am no Hebrew expert, but I think its interesting.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Lionroot;53236)
There are other scriptures about this event to consider.What is interesting is that the "sons of God" is from the word Elohim, and is the same word translated God in the Genesis scriptures you listed. I am no Hebrew expert, but I think its interesting.
Thats because they are Angels and a part of Gods family God created them if you look at the meaning of the Word Elohim you will see this listed. However Angels have free will and there are Fallen Angels as well as Holy ones The term "Sons of God" is often refering to fallen Angels (gen 6, Job ect.)

Lionroot

Mar 4, 2007
Can you reconcile why the "fallen angels" are shouting for joy at the foundation of the world?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lionroot;53238)
Can you reconcile why the "fallen angels" are shouting for joy at the foundation of the world?
This is most likely when before Lucifer (Satan) fell. God didn't create him evil, Lucifer chose to be that way.

Lionroot

Mar 4, 2007
(thesuperjag;53240)
This is most likely when before Lucifer (Satan) fell. God didn't create him evil, Lucifer chose to be that way.
Now we are headed into conjecture...What is important is that there were others present at the foundation of the world.It is suggestive about who God could be talking too...within the pages of scripture...and without going beyond what is written.

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(followerofchrist;46403)
followerofchrist, The Bible tells us clearly that Jesus was God's FIRST creation, Col 1:15, Rev 3:14, prov 8:22-31. Notice that the scriptures tell us that God used Jesus in all other creations, Col 1:16, John 1:3. Since Jesus was God's first creation, and God used Jesus in all other creation, God must have been speaking to Jesus when He said; Let us make man in OUR image, according to our likeness. When God said He was going to create man in His image, He did not mean according to the way God looks. God was talking about creating mankind with God's attributes, such as Justice Wisdom, Power, and Love. Remember God is SPIRIT, man is flesh and blood, John 4:24, 2Cor 3:17.At Gen 6:3, Got was telling Noah that He was going to bring an end to the wicked men on earth in 120 years. 120 years later God brought the flood that put an end to the great wickedness that had spread over the earth, and saved eight souls through the deluge, 2Pet 2:5.