Question...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
Hello fellow Christians.
smile.gif
I've been browsing here for some time and this is my first post. I have a question.My friend respects all religions and thinks all of them have some value, yet he gets pretty upset when he finds like a Christians "pushing" stuff on him, like telling him to read the bible and telling him he's going to hell if he doesn't accept Jesus (which is true). He says that no other religion does that, and it frustrates him that "Christianity is so sure that they are right". I'm usually good at proving people wrong in their arguments (nicely of course) but this one I couldn't. Any thoughts? What would you say to him?God Bless

FreeThought

Nov 14, 2007
(lastsecman;22787)
I would ask...'If all religions are the same, how do you know which one is right?'
tongue.gif

Exactly. And the answer is that theres no way of knowing which one is right or if any are right at all.

lastsecman

Nov 8, 2006
There is a way, because God Himself said:'Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you.'

FreeThought

Nov 14, 2007
That verse is from the Bible which you also ultimately don't know whether its true or not. I could get another Holy Book, call it God's word, and quote something that contradicts you. You put faith in its truth but you don't know for sure that its true. And if you mean by that verse you quoted that Christianity's truth is self-evident, then how would explain that most of the world aren't Christian?

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
eternalarcadia,Each of us has a different cross to bare. For myself, I see the world saturated with Christianity. We do not need to re-tell them about Christ because they already know and reject him. However, this is not to say that we should not be prepared to assist in the event that God pricks them. In other words you are wasting your time and even alienating them if you attempt to convince them prior to God changing their hearts.In Yehoshua,Guy Smith

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
Welcome FreeThought,I have to assume from your statements that you are either searching for Christ or trying to persuade others away from Him. Assuming you are searching I would like to say Christianity is not like other religions. There are those that believe that all religions are the same. It is my understanding that most of these other religions promote this idea.The difference is that Christ has stated that He is the only way to the kingdom and that any other way if futile.John 10The Shepherd and His Flock 1"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." 6Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them. 7Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[aMatt 7The Narrow and Wide Gates 13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.Think about this. If the other religions are right and everyone of all religions is going to make the kingdom, then Christians have nothing to worry about. However, if Christ and the Bible are right, then there will be a lot of people who believe in other religions that are going to be in a lot of trouble.In Yehoshua,Guy Smith

justmytent

Nov 15, 2007
We are "witnesses" of Christ. As a witness I share my story, my experience with Christ, with those who ask. In fact, the Scripture tells me I am to be ready to give an account of the hope within me to everyone who asks. (1 Peter 3:15 "... but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;") It reminds me of the scene in a courtroom. There is lawyer questioning me to defend the hope that I have within me. As a witness, I tell him my first-hand account of what I have seen and heard. Because the the message of Christ and the good news of the Kingdom of God is so full of Glory! and Beauty! and Power! - I can express it with gentleness and reverence. Also, I think the hope within us is a testimony to the fact that we believe something different. So different...that men are asking us what it is! They are putting their hope in the fact that they can make this life everything they want it to be. (Which isn't possible because in this life there is suffering and plans cannot be established no matter how desperately we try to make our lives happy and perfect. It comes in spurts...but it never stays that way.) This is their home, their only chance to experience happiness. We live differently. We aren't storing our treasures here where moth and rust and thieves can destroy it or take it away. Our hope is in something much greater! We believe that this life is not the end of all things. Our hope is in the fact that God accepted Jesus as the sacrifice for man's sins...and even as great as that is!!! our hope doesn't end there...it continues in the fact that Jesus spoke often of the Kingdom of God. Why? Why was that so central to His message? We are comforted with a hope others do not have. He has gone to prepare a place for us and He is coming again...why?...so that where He is we may be also. I testify to the fact that this life is my "tent". A wonderful opportunity for me to learn to love the Lord my God with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind and all my strength. A place where I can learn to love my neighbor as myself. By this, I am learning how to live in the Kingdom of God. This is not my "home". And in that I have a hope and a joy that is foreign to some. Remember Paul and Silas singing away in the prison? When the opportunity came for them to escape they didn't. The Jailer was confounded that they had not tried to run and save their lives. But the hope within them assured them that because of Christ there was life beyond this life...so they weren't trying to save there lives. (Ha, in fact they were busy singing to God...not planning their escape!) The Jailer wanted to know this hope that was within them!! It was so foreign to him. Had he been the one imprisoned, knowing the cruelty of their captors, all he would have known would have been the extreme intensity to run and save his life. His home was here. That's all he knew. Paul's was not. And because it was so evident to the Jailer that Paul's hope was different he asked Paul to give an account of the hope that was in him... and he and his household were saved! One day I will live in the Kingdom of God with the One Who loves me so much He died for me, rose again and has gone to prepare a place for me in the Kingdom of God...so that where He is I may be also! WOW!

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
It is not up you to lead a person to Christ. It is the Holy Spirit who convicts. Often times Christians are well meaning, but they do more damage than good. They think that they have to convince them and that if they don't do it that person is damned. It sounds like your friend has heard lots of the kind of talk which shows little of God's love and grace.We play a big role, but we need to be good listeners and then we will know where to start. A good model for evangelism is in Acts 17 where Paul is confronted with the Athenians and their intellectual pride and idolatry, certainly a hard crowd to convince. He begins with something familiar to the Athenians, a statue to an unknown god, then he tells about God and stops when he knows that he has said enough. He has planted a seed that may grow in time. He isn't ready to plant and harvest all at once.It sounds like your friend has some wounds from previous contact with Christians. I would listen to him on this. I would not focus on either the idea of being inclusive of other faiths or exclusive. I would say that all religions have something to offer to their followers and so does Christianity. This neither advocates other religions or "pushes" ours.I would share with him what makes Christianity unique. It is the only religion based on relationship. Many religions are based on following rules (e.g. Judaism and Islam) or self-centered, emphasizing drawing inward to reach a higher state of personal consciousness or being (Buddhism or Hinduism). Christianity is based on having a personal relationship with Jesus and at the same time serving others, by putting their interest ahead of our own. It is based on the idea that God created us out of love in order to have a relationship with him. There will be problems along the way in witnessing, but go slowly. Inevitably the idea of suffering comes up. How can a God of love allow suffering? Be prepared for this. Remember that God did not create suffering, he created the world perfect, but he did give us free will and this is where suffering begins. You can't have both free will and no suffering, unless we are prepared to always do it God's way which is what this life is all about, to teach us that we can freely choose to follow God and do it his way or suffer the consequences. In the end pain and suffering is transient, as God has promised to create a new world, free from pain and suffering. For now we are like children, feeling our way and getting hurt. It is part of the learning curve. Good parents have to let their baby take its first steps and stand back knowing that the child will take a few bruises along the way. The parent is hurt when the child falls, but he is there to dust off the child and dry the tears. It is the same with God. He loves us that much that he allows us to grow and learn, becoming independent, creative and intelligent beings. He longs for a relationship with us in which we come to him of our own free will. When we freely give back the love to God that he has for us then he rejoices because we are made in his image, to love and be loved.You cannot convince anyone who does not want to hear. Know when to back off. In your own devotions, you need to pray lots for that person and to pray for wisdom and discernment for you when talking to him. Be honest. If you don't know an answer don't try to bluff. Many Christians make this mistake, especially in the area of science with someone coming from a scientific empirical background. We say some dumb things that they can easily refute and then we have lost our credibility before we start.BTW, this is my first post here, too.Blessings,Dunamite

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(lastsecman;22790)
There is a way, because God Himself said:'Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you.'
Quoting scripture at someone who doesn't believe it will have no effect on him/her.

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
great responses. appreciate it. Might I add an example of what I meant with my friend. The other day, there was a christian booklet someone had left in a cart at a grocery store and he said "I hate when Christians assume that I need help and think that they are so right. They use propaganda to try and get me to join their religion. No other religion does that". From this you an obviously see how confused he is about it.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Gods word has No denomination there are no right religous denominations in Gods eyes only individuals walking in the right path The word of God is equally for all It is man who dived into religions denominations they are by men of men for men God teaches all the same thing.He really could care less what religion you call yourself if you are following his word is the only thing he cares about. If one spend their time looking for elusive right religion instead of studing his Word.They are speding their time in foolish things of men No religious church denomination title is going to stand before you on judgement dayNo pastor,no preacher, no church no matter what name it has it will be you and you alone

Mighty Bear

Oct 20, 2007
(eternalarcadia;22778)
Hello fellow Christians.
smile.gif
I've been browsing here for some time and this is my first post. I have a question.My friend respects all religions and thinks all of them have some value, yet he gets pretty upset when he finds like a Christians "pushing" stuff on him, like telling him to read the bible and telling him he's going to hell if he doesn't accept Jesus (which is true). He says that no other religion does that, and it frustrates him that "Christianity is so sure that they are right". I'm usually good at proving people wrong in their arguments (nicely of course) but this one I couldn't. Any thoughts? What would you say to him?God Bless
Understanding Scriptures cannot be done without the help of God.Which do you prefer, a God of Commandments or a God of Love?"by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,"(Ephesians 2:15)Church of Love in Jesus Christhttp://christiansite.multiply.com/journal