Rahab the Woman, Prostitute, Innkeeper, or Israelite Spy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand you on the "divined", in the name of the Lord Jesus I thank you. but I'm misunderstanding you either on the word itself or the definition given on the word "harlot".

If you go throughout the Old Testament you will see that the word harlot means harlot. For example (Ez. 16:15) "But thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot because of thy renown, and pouredst out thy fornications on every one that passed buy;..."

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you go throughout the Old Testament you will see that the word harlot means harlot. For example (Ez. 16:15) "But thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot because of thy renown, and pouredst out thy fornications on every one that passed buy;..."
I must disagree. there are several meaning for harlot. one could be raped, and called harlot, (see Gen. 34:31). but, without arguing did you read posts 2, 5 and 6 on this definition?.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must disagree. there are several meaning for harlot. one could be raped, and called harlot, (see Gen. 34:31). but, without arguing did you read posts 2, 5 and 6 on this definition?.

Is (Ez. 16:15) the same word or not? And there are many others.

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is (Ez. 16:15) the same word or not? And there are many others.

Stranger
still disagree, playing a harlot, and being a harlot is two diffrent things. if this woman was under orders, she played the role as I gave in the miss Kitty role in Gunsmoke.
now if she was a harlot, please give chapter and verse to whom she was a harlot with. for every instance in the bible, either spiritual forinciation or fleshly forinciation it states who they was a harlot to. for example in your example Ez. 16:15 it was the other nations around them that cause the Jews to commit spiritual forinciation.

in reading the commentary on your example, it was the other nations who entice the jews to commit spiritual forinciation so they was the harlot.

Gill's commentary: and playedst the harlot because of thy renown; or "name" which the Jews got among the nations round about them, for their wisdom, riches, and power; which was a snare unto them, as a woman's beauty is to her; and they were admired and courted, and complimented by their neighbours, and so drawn into idolatrous practices, as women into fornication and adultery by the admirers of them. thanks stranger in the name of the Lord, your example just supported what I been saying all along . see Rahab was a beautiful woman she played the role but did not become one, because she was under orders. just like some women are just flirts, or teasers but never take the final step, like Israel did. thanks for that example, this just reinforced what we been saying.

Praise the Lord Jesus, So until you can give a scripture that shows who she committed Adultery or fornication with your point is mute.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
still disagree, playing a harlot, and being a harlot is two diffrent things. if this woman was under orders, she played the role as I gave in the miss Kitty role in Gunsmoke.
now if she was a harlot, please give chapter and verse to whom she was a harlot with. for every instance in the bible, either spiritual forinciation or fleshly forinciation it states who they was a harlot to. for example in your example Ez. 16:15 it was the other nations around them that cause the Jews to commit spiritual forinciation.

in reading the commentary on your example, it was the other nations who entice the jews to commit spiritual forinciation so they was the harlot.

Gill's commentary: and playedst the harlot because of thy renown; or "name" which the Jews got among the nations round about them, for their wisdom, riches, and power; which was a snare unto them, as a woman's beauty is to her; and they were admired and courted, and complimented by their neighbours, and so drawn into idolatrous practices, as women into fornication and adultery by the admirers of them. thanks stranger in the name of the Lord, your example just supported what I been saying all along . see Rahab was a beautiful woman she played the role but did not become one, because she was under orders. just like some women are just flirts, or teasers but never take the final step, like Israel did. thanks for that example, this just reinforced what we been saying.

Praise the Lord Jesus, So until you can give a scripture that shows who she committed Adultery or fornication with your point is mute.

My point is not mute as I do not believe the story surrounding Rahab that you have fabricated. You have written many pages to convince...yourself, I guess..., but it is not convincing at all. Makes for a good novel.

I don't need the names of the ones Rahab committed harlotry with to know she was an harlot. I can just believe what the Scripture plainly states. I'm not saying she remained a harlot. But she definitely was one long enough to be given the name.

Why does it bother you that Rahab was an harlot? Do you think God would not use or save such an one? Do you think that takes away from God? Do you think yourself as better?

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is not mute as I do not believe the story surrounding Rahab that you have fabricated.
lack of belief is what kept many out of the promise land. but your choice, no one is forcing you to accept what was said. so don't sweat it....... ok.
I don't need the names of the ones Rahab committed harlotry with to know she was an harlot. I can just believe what the Scripture plainly states
you don't need the names of the ones Rahab committed harlotry with to know she was an harlot. without a witness, (especially two) your claim cannot be substantiated, hence your beliefs is a false witness.
Why does it bother you that Rahab was an harlot? Do you think God would not use or save such an one? Do you think that takes away from God? Do you think yourself as better?
A. it don't bother me a bit, see I understand now what's going on with her and why the title. it's YOU, who that it bothers.
B. I know that God can use anybody, with and without a title....
C. what I think is useless, it what I believe, which I stated above, and the the series of these posts.

Now I'm not going to argue tit for tat. A. if you have anything to reproof what was posted, please put it on the table with book chapter and verse. or
B. if you have something constructive to add please do likewise so that it may be examine.
C. if you have nothing, do what the bible say, be silence and learn.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lack of belief is what kept many out of the promise land. but your choice, no one is forcing you to accept what was said. so don't sweat it....... ok.

you don't need the names of the ones Rahab committed harlotry with to know she was an harlot. without a witness, (especially two) your claim cannot be substantiated, hence your beliefs is a false witness.

A. it don't bother me a bit, see I understand now what's going on with her and why the title. it's YOU, who that it bothers.
B. I know that God can use anybody, with and without a title....
C. what I think is useless, it what I believe, which I stated above, and the the series of these posts.

Now I'm not going to argue tit for tat. A. if you have anything to reproof what was posted, please put it on the table with book chapter and verse. or
B. if you have something constructive to add please do likewise so that it may be examine.
C. if you have nothing, do what the bible say, be silence and learn.

Do you hear yourself. If I don't believe your story then I am in unbelief, according to you. If I believe the Bible, and not you, then I am a false witness, according to you.

Well, you concocted the story. The proof is that the story doesn't exist in the Bible. The Bible says Rahab was an harlot. It doesn't say Rahab was an innkeeper or a secret Israeli spy.

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you hear yourself. If I don't believe your story then I am in unbelief, according to you. If I believe the Bible, and not you, then I am a false witness, according to you.

Well, you concocted the story. The proof is that the story doesn't exist in the Bible. The Bible says Rahab was an harlot. It doesn't say Rahab was an innkeeper or a secret Israeli spy.

Stranger
Do I hear myself?, it you not hearing the definition, and as for belief that's you. I cannot force you to believe anything. not understand the bible is a false witness. so if it not saying that to U, don't sweat it, and don't worry about it. I'm sure there's a lot of things in the bible you can't see or understand. so as I said, don't worry about it.
good day.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do I hear myself?, it you not hearing the definition, and as for belief that's you. I cannot force you to believe anything. not understand the bible is a false witness. so if it not saying that to U, don't sweat it, and don't worry about it. I'm sure there's a lot of things in the bible you can't see or understand. so as I said, don't worry about it.
good day.

It is not a question of what the Bible says to me. It is a question of what the Bible says.

I will worry about it. Because you are presenting something that is not Scriptural.

If there are things I don't yet understand in Scripture, that doesn't mean you're the one to enlighten me, or anyone else. And your story of Rahab is not Scriptural.

There is a difference between 'not understanding' and 'twisting' God's revelation. I study the Bible because I don't know it all. But I want to. You present forth something which is agaisnt what is known in God's revelaltion. Thus you are 'twisting' the truth.

So, as I said, I will worry about it. And will confront you on it.

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now
It is not a question of what the Bible says to me. It is a question of what the Bible says.

I will worry about it. Because you are presenting something that is not Scriptural.

If there are things I don't yet understand in Scripture, that doesn't mean you're the one to enlighten me, or anyone else. And your story of Rahab is not Scriptural.

There is a difference between 'not understanding' and 'twisting' God's revelation. I study the Bible because I don't know it all. But I want to. You present forth something which is agaisnt what is known in God's revelaltion. Thus you are 'twisting' the truth.

So, as I said, I will worry about it. And will confront you on it.

Stranger
confront all you want, until you give who she commited whordom with your points and beliefs are mute, and that's scripture.

now you can argue, not me, or you can present constructive evidence for or against. but without evidence, good day.........

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now

confront all you want, until you give who she commited whordom with your points and beliefs are mute, and that's scripture.

now you can argue, not me, or you can present constructive evidence for or against. but without evidence, good day.........

Evidence for what? For or against something that is not there. That your story is not there in the Scripture is plain. It is something 'not there'. It took you pages to try and get it there. But it is not there. It doesn't need to be disproven...as it doesn't exist.

Rahab was called Rahab the harlot, because she was, had been, a harlot. That is the testimony of Scripture.

Any more made up stories in your library of fiction?

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evidence,
Exhibit A: H2181 זָנָה zanah (zaw-naw') v.
1. to commit adultery (usually of the female).
2. (less often) to commit fornication.
3. (rarely) to commit rape.
4. (figuratively) to commit idolatry (the Jewish people being regarded as the spouse of Yahweh).
a primitive root (highly-fed and therefore wanton
KJV: (cause to) commit fornication, X continually, X great, (be an, play the) harlot, (cause to be, play the) whore, (commit, fall to) whoredom, (cause to) go a-whoring, whorish.

Do Rahab fit any of these description.

definition #1. to commit adultery (usually of the female).
in adultery, who was Rehab married to? (before the fall of Jericho)

definition #2. who did Rehab commit fornication with?

definition #3. who rape her?

definition #4. spiritually, who did she worship?.

if any one have the answer to these question, then we can continue the conversation, else the conversation is mute.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evidence,
Exhibit A: H2181 זָנָה zanah (zaw-naw') v.
1. to commit adultery (usually of the female).
2. (less often) to commit fornication.
3. (rarely) to commit rape.
4. (figuratively) to commit idolatry (the Jewish people being regarded as the spouse of Yahweh).
a primitive root (highly-fed and therefore wanton
KJV: (cause to) commit fornication, X continually, X great, (be an, play the) harlot, (cause to be, play the) whore, (commit, fall to) whoredom, (cause to) go a-whoring, whorish.

Do Rahab fit any of these description.

definition #1. to commit adultery (usually of the female).
in adultery, who was Rehab married to? (before the fall of Jericho)

definition #2. who did Rehab commit fornication with?

definition #3. who rape her?

definition #4. spiritually, who did she worship?.

if any one have the answer to these question, then we can continue the conversation, else the conversation is mute.

(Lev. 21:7,9) "They shall not take a wife that is a whore, or profane;...And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore,..she shall be burned with fire."

(Deut. 23:18) " Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD...."

The word 'whore' in these two verses is the same used for 'harlot' in describing Rahab.

Alfred Edersheim, a converted Jew and teacher of languages, said in his book (Bible History Old Testament, Eerdmans, 1992,vol.3, p.52, FN#3),
"The learned reader who is curious to know the Rabbinical fables about Rahab will find them in Lightfoot...and in Wetstein...also in Meuschen...."

Edersheim knew the Hebrew language as a Jew and knew the Talmud and Torah and knew of these fables about Rahab. And he identified them as such.

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Lev. 21:7,9) "They shall not take a wife that is a whore, or profane;...And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore,..she shall be burned with fire."

(Deut. 23:18) " Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD...."

The word 'whore' in these two verses is the same used for 'harlot' in describing Rahab.

Alfred Edersheim, a converted Jew and teacher of languages, said in his book (Bible History Old Testament, Eerdmans, 1992,vol.3, p.52, FN#3),
"The learned reader who is curious to know the Rabbinical fables about Rahab will find them in Lightfoot...and in Wetstein...also in Meuschen...."

Edersheim knew the Hebrew language as a Jew and knew the Talmud and Torah and knew of these fables about Rahab. And he identified them as such.

Stranger
Neither apply to Rahab, so MUTE, next try.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all. some updated information I have clearly forgot. it seems like Rahab will have plenty of company. Matthew 21:31 "Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you". and that's harlots with an "s" at the end, meaning MANY. it was an eye opener in reading the commentary on these scriptures, (see also Gill's commentary on Matthews 9:10). one more for the harlots title holders of the world.

Gord

Apr 16, 2022
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the day before Easter, I found this post from 4 years ago.. Very interesting. To me, Whether she was a harlot in the pure sense of the word, A madam, an inn keeper.. she seems much like a woman of the world that repented and joined with the people of God. In that sense, she was a harlot.. From my reading and thoughts, I think the lord uses contrast to teach us, and I personally believe she was a Harlot, living a sleazy life that repented.