Reader Poll - Where did the Bible come from?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where did the Bible come from?

• God wrote it Himself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God wrote it through infallible human authors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God wrote it through fallible human authors

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • The Bible was written by inspired human authors

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Some parts of the Bible were written by inspired human authors

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • The Church chose from available writings to form the Bible

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A couple of comments.
Thanks for weighing in on this, Carl.
As the Bible is not understood without the Holy Spirit assisting the inspired reader, any errors of text that might exist will not be witnessed as Truth to the inspired reader.
Agree.
I like your term, "the inspired reader".

Have you had this experience?
Something read in the Bible didn't sit right with your spirit? (or the Spirit)

I would extend your thought to say that a text (or thing) doesn't have to be inspired, in-and-of itself to be inspiring.

An example I like to use is, how many people walked by the Potter's house the day the Lord sent Jeremiah there?
Yet he was the one to get the message. Inspired message, uninspired source. (see chapter 18)

I think a lot of questions that arise are answered as one comes to understand the character of God.
Agree.
But does everyone agree on what the character of God is?
I think you and I differ on that point.

If you know God's character you will know that what we have in our hands serves the purpose intended for those chosen to understand.
Agree.
But I think we both agree that God speaks to us in other ways as well.
And not every believer agrees on that point.

/

Reactions: RedFan

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for weighing in on this, Carl.

Agree.
I like your term, "the inspired reader".

Have you had this experience?
Something read in the Bible didn't sit right with your spirit? (or the Spirit)

I would extend your thought to say that a text (or thing) doesn't have to be inspired, in-and-of itself to be inspiring.

An example I like to use is, how many people walked by the Potter's house the day the Lord sent Jeremiah there?
Yet he was the one to get the message. Inspired message, uninspired source. (see chapter 18)

Agree.
But does everyone agree on what the character of God is?
I think you and I differ on that point.

Agree.
But I think we both agree that God speaks to us in other ways as well.
And not every believer agrees on that point.

/
First question - yes when reading a non-mainstream translation.
Second question - yes our attention can be drawn to a happening around us as He speaks meaning to us.
On the character of God it is good to accept the encounters of Moses, Isaiah, Jacob, Lot and Co. when accessing God's character. Paul speaks of the Kindness and Severity of God.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A couple of comments.

As the Bible is not understood without the Holy Spirit assisting the inspired reader, any errors of text that might exist will not be witnessed as Truth to the inspired reader.

I think a lot of questions that arise are answered as one comes to understand the character of God.

If you know God's character you will know that what we have in our hands serves the purpose intended for those chosen to understand.
I read your post 3 times and I still don't know what you are saying.

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Spencer Day compiled a timeline chart on the subject.

It's rather interesting. However, the origins of our Bible still remains somewhat of a mystery

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Spencer Day compiled a timeline chart on the subject.

It's rather interesting. However, the origins of our Bible still remains somewhat of a mystery
The Bible itself speaks about mysteries and revelations.

At my parent's insistence I enrolled at University and began to study Law. The very first lessons were on The Legal System and included text books which cited the Bible to explain the source of various principles enshrined in Law.

Legislation focuses on creating laws, while the judiciary ensures their proper application and resolves legal disputes. Both branches play essential roles in maintaining a balanced system of government.

One revelation I have received is that God has supplied mankind with the Truth, including the knowledge of good and evil.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thanks! (for voting)

How do you define those terms?
1) What is All Scripture?
2) What was All Scripture at the time that verse was written?
3) What does god-breathed mean?

/
All Scripture = All the Bible
When Timothy was written to by Paul his use of the term "all Scripture" covered:
  • All the Books of what became known as the Old Testament
  • All the Books that would become known as the New Testament
God-breathed means originating from God, the expelling of His Spirit upon His Creation.

Heb 1:1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,

1Pe 1:12 To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.

2Pe 1:21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Joh 16:13-14 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. (14) He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.