Recieving the Holy Spirit and Him working in your life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me expand on this. What about when children are baptized shortly after birth? They know nothing of sin nor the Holy Spirit. And, unless they are raised to know, is all for not if they are never taught? I personally do not feel one has to be baptized to receive the Holy Spirit. I was baptized when I was an infant. But only recently did I feel I received the Holy Spirit and I'm 32 years old. And I tell you this, I felt it.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
Let me expand on this. What about when children are baptized shortly after birth? They know nothing of sin nor the Holy Spirit. And, unless they are raised to know, is all for not if they are never taught? I personally do not feel one has to be baptized to receive the Holy Spirit. I was baptized when I was an infant. But only recently did I feel I received the Holy Spirit and I'm 32 years old. And I tell you this, I felt it.
Alot of believers will testify of experiencing receiving what they believe to be the Holy Spirit for the very first time even though they have been a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ way before that moment. Some will testify of speaking in tongues in that moment, but...

WE are not to believe every spirit but test them; 1 John 4:1

If someone is testifying that Jesus Christ is in them, then they are of the truth as 1 John 4:2 is confirmed by 2 Corinthians 13:5.

If someone is testifying that Jesus Christ is not in them but outside of them and being felt as coming over them and filling them when the Holy Spirit was already within them, then they are testifying of the spirit of the antichrist that is felt IN THE WORLD; 1 John 4:3

So that is how one tests the spirits because if one feels the spirit at any other time apart from their salvation, that is not the indwelling Holy Ghost but the spirit of the antichrist. Holy Spirit already IN; this new spirit visiting is NOT: 1 John 4:4

1 John 4:5-6 will associate the supernatural tongue as found in the world as babbling nonsense that comes with no interpretation; Isaiah 8:19 with 1 Timothy 4:1-2 whereas God's actual gift of tongues is of other men's lips to speak unto the people 1 Corinthians 14:20-21

We can only receive the promise of the Holy Spirit at one time: at our salvation. The sanctification of the Spirit and the belief of the truth is by the hearing of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul clarified this remidner against those falling away from the faith.

2 Thessalonians 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

The damnation awaiting those that do not repent is to be left behind as castaways as they will become vessels unto dishonour in His House to be received later of their second inheritance after the great tribulation as Paul reminds believers that those that have fallen away from the faith are still His; but we are to not treat them as the enemy, but admonish them as brothers still in the hopes that they may repent. 2 Thessalonians 3:1-7,14-15

Indeed, we are to hope God is peradventuring to recover those from the snare of the devil that believe tongues can be used as a prayer language as it defies the will of God for us to pray without ceasing, and to give thanks to the Father in Jesus's name, and thereby doing the will of the devil; not knowing what they had prayed for so they cannot give the Father genuine thanks in Jesus's name for answered prayers. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 & 2 Timothy 2:16,24-26

As the receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father can only happen one time; otherwise, it would make the Father "look evil" as if He did not give the Holy Spirit the first time for knocking at the door of Jesus as promised; Luke 11:9-13 may every believer take heart as to when this promise was given.

Ephesians 1: 11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith......26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

So Jesus Christ baptized all believers with the Holy Ghost as promised from the Father when believing in Jesus Christ. That's the only baptism that matters for our salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.....21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

And as for Whom is really to be taking credit & glory for working in our lives is the Son of God; the author & finisher of our faith. Scripture testify that the Holy Spirit is giving the Son of God that glory.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:....11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, that didn't answer my question. From what you say, salvation can only be given once. I can agree with that. But, I am asking, if an infant is baptized, do they receive salvation? They have no idea what just happened to them. And if later in life they truly find Christ, are you saying that they already got it once and cant get it again? Amongst the spectacular cut and paste job you have there, it gets a little hazy. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
IMHO, I think that infant baptisms are more like dedications. Parents are dedicating their child to God. In NZ we have that in various Churches. Mostly Catholic, Baptists and I think some Anglicans may do it as well. :)

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
IMHO, I think that infant baptisms are more like dedications. Parents are dedicating their child to God. In NZ we have that in various Churches. Mostly Catholic, Baptists and I think some Anglicans may do it as well. :)
Thank you, Angelina. :) That makes good sense. I just never understood why baptize an infant if they don't know what they are receiving. Thanks again!! :)

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
Just a clarification; the earlier post was addressing the latter part of your testimony as I was not sure you were testifying that was when you were saved or that you had been saved before you were 32 years old and had an encounter that you had thought was the Holy Ghost. The previous reply was for your discernment of that moment with His help.

But as for the infant;

Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Psalm 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Infant baptism isn't supported by scripture at all.

Born_Again said:
Yeah, that didn't answer my question. From what you say, salvation can only be given once. I can agree with that. But, I am asking, if an infant is baptized, do they receive salvation? They have no idea what just happened to them. And if later in life they truly find Christ, are you saying that they already got it once and cant get it again? Amongst the spectacular cut and paste job you have there, it gets a little hazy. :)
No. They do not receive salvation by water baptism, but there is a truth that parents are overlooking and that God the Father may reveal His Son to them; yes.. even to babes. Talk about a captive audience. One can sing spiritual hymns for lullabyes and preach the simplicity of the gospel to the baby, and hope in God the Father that He will reveal His Son to them for them to believe in Him.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.