Recieving the Holy Spirit and Him working in your life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Ok, So I heard a prophet teaching about Water Baptism, He said that if you are not baptized you can end up in a "Dark place" if anything happens to you. He also said that satan has a hold on people not baptized

He went on by saying that AFTER baptism, then the Holy Spirit comes and sanctification comes after that.....

So This straight up frustrated me...Like sometimes you feel like punching a wall to take out anger, that's how frustrated I am now

im so upset, I would like to say he's a false prophet but I know he's true, cant deny it

anyways is this true?? Do I have The Holy Spirit now?? I mean I had 2 biblical dreams and I am trying not to sin anymore, I haven't cussed in a long time and im being catious, Is it all in vain???

And To make it clear, He was talking about WATER baptism, And you cannot be baptized in the Holy Spirit unless water first I don't get it

By Grace Alone

Jun 15, 2013
Northern California
Well, this is just my take....

Whenever I hear a "prophet" say something and I'm not sure about it, I study Bible verses about the subject, talk to other Christians and pray. There are a lot of different beliefs about baptism, but I believe that you can be filled with the Holy Spirit without technically being baptized in water. Your relationship with God and how you are following Him matters most.

BGA :)

Reactions: clark thompson

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Inmate said:
Ok, So I heard a prophet teaching about Water Baptism, He said that if you are not baptized you can end up in a "Dark place" if anything happens to you. He also said that satan has a hold on people not baptized

He went on by saying that AFTER baptism, then the Holy Spirit comes and sanctification comes after that.....

So This straight up frustrated me...Like sometimes you feel like punching a wall to take out anger, that's how frustrated I am now

im so upset, I would like to say he's a false prophet but I know he's true, cant deny it

anyways is this true?? Do I have The Holy Spirit now?? I mean I had 2 biblical dreams and I am trying not to sin anymore, I haven't cussed in a long time and im being catious, Is it all in vain???

And To make it clear, He was talking about WATER baptism, And you cannot be baptized in the Holy Spirit unless water first I don't get it
NO friend it's not true. GRACE + WORKS = NO GRACE. By grace are you saved and not by works lest any man boast. Such a belief is akin to RCC on baptism. i.e. without it you're not saved because by it you're. Such hogwash should be washed from your brains. Let the Word of God do that!

Are you baptised into Christ? Yes? Well at the moment of your spiritual conception(born again), if you indeed repented then you're.

If so, Go in peace and keep your eyes ONLY on the LORD JESUS CHRIST. :)

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Live for God easy and it will be hard. Live for God hard, and it will be easy.

Jesus said that we must be born again of the water and the Spirit. One should not question as to why, do it by faith.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of
God:
There is no doubt that salvation is by grace through faith. We can accept this just as it is
written.

Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works(obedience), is dead, being alone.
Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works(obedience): shew me thy faith
without thy works(obedience), and I will shew thee my faith by my works(obedience).
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and
tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works(obedience) is dead?
Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works(obedience), when he had offered
Isaac his son upon the altar?

Indeed we are saved by grace, but it is by being obedient that it is made perfect. Obedience
is the works of those serving Jesus. So again, let us subsitute the word obedience for works.

Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works(obedience), and by works(obedience)
was faith made perfect?
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was
imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works(obedience) a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works(obedience), when she had
received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works(obedience) is dead
also.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Doing the will of our Father requires obedience.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Please read the story in Acts 10. It's about Peter who went to speak to a gathering at the home of Cornelius. This man was not a Jew and neither were his relatives but they all gathered to listen to Peter speak. Peter spoke a testimony about Jesus...as he was speaking, the Holy Spirit came down upon all who heard. Acts 10:44-46. Then Peter said “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?

The Holy Spirit came down before these Gentiles were baptized by water. The Holy Spirit confirming the Gospel that Peter had preached to those who gathered at Cornelius's home. Mark 16:20, Romans 15:19

So no..I do not believe that one has to be baptized by water first, to receive the Holy Spirit. I can testify that I was baptized by water many years after being filled with the Holy Spirit... :)

Bless you!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Act_11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost

As Angelina said.

Stop listening to men and seek God for yourself, He isnt hiding away, just waiting for you to ask.

Luk 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
Luk 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened

Inall His Love

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Inmate don't fall for these bogus teachers and disciples of satan. If indeed you are a Christian then at new birth you were already Baptized in the spirit, by the HOLY SPIRIT when he came to reside in you.. There's NO second work/baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
JB_ said:
Inmate don't fall for these bogus teachers and disciples of satan. If indeed you are a Christian then at new birth you were already Baptized in the spirit, by the HOLY SPIRIT when he came to reside in you.. There's NO second work/baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT.
Jb,

Jesus did say we must be born again of the water and the Spirit. Even if we do not understand it, the disciples did. When one had received the Holy Ghost they would then command them to be baptized. By study of the scripture we find that baptizm in water was when one would receive the 'gift' of the Holy Ghost. So we then know that one may have the infilling of the Holy Ghost and still not have the 'gift'.

What is the 'gift'?

The wages of sin is death, but the 'gift' of God is eternal life thru Christ Jesus Rom 6:23

Let us be obedient to God for it is for our benefit!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Next time you see that prophet, tell him he wont be alone, there will be many just like him there.

In all His Love

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why does this make you so angry? jesus commands us to be baptised so it is pretty important. does it negate your relationship with God before you are baptised? not based on Jesus's life. when Jesus was teaching in the temple as a twelve year old and Mary asked Him what he was doing wandering away from her and Joseph - Jesus told her that He was doing His Father's work. So, 18 years before He was baptised, Jesus had a personal relationship with the Father. Now go get baptised!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
JB_ said:
What do you make of the account recorded in Acts 19?

1 While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul traveled through the interior regions until he reached Ephesus, on the coast, where he found several believers. 2 “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” he asked them. “No,” they replied, “we haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”3 “Then what baptism did you experience?” he asked. And they replied, “The baptism of John.”4 Paul said, “John’s baptism called for repentance from sin. But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus.”5 As soon as they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied.7 There were about twelve men in all.
Acts 19:1-7 (NLT)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The significance of this Baptism was not about the water baptism of John because if it were, they would have received the gift of the Holy Spirit but the Holy Spirit had not come during John's days because Jesus had not been glorified. The significance was that they were baptized with Jesus's baptism.

Paul says in this verse; "But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus.”
Re; this baptism, John said...
Matthew 3:11
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Water baptism is an outward sign [an expression] of ones belief in Jesus and the baptism he faced on the cross...Romans 6:3
It is a symbol of his death and resurrection. In the above case, the Holy Spirit was received by impartation. In some cases, the Holy Spirit fell on those who believed. For Israel and for us, it is an obedience issue however, the Holy Spirit will come and make his home in anyone who believes and receives Jesus as their Lord and Savior whether they were baptized first or later on in life. [and you will because you will desire to] :)

Again, it is not so much about water baptism but rather, being clothed Galatians 3:27 the Holy Spirit being the seal of our redemption. Ephesians 4:30, the guarantee of our inheritance Ephesians 1:14.

Shalom!!!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
jiggyfly said:
What do you make of the account recorded in Acts 19?

1 While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul traveled through the interior regions until he reached Ephesus, on the coast, where he found several believers. 2 “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” he asked them. “No,” they replied, “we haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”3 “Then what baptism did you experience?” he asked. And they replied, “The baptism of John.”4 Paul said, “John’s baptism called for repentance from sin. But John himself told the people to believe in the one who would come later, meaning Jesus.”5 As soon as they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied.7 There were about twelve men in all.
Acts 19:1-7 (NLT)
Given that it was at the infancy of the New Covenant Church and the body of believers were being gathered into Christ, extraordinary evidence was required, until fully established and settled.

But in this case they were the Baptist's disciples some 20 odd years before and therefore hadn't even heard of the Holy Spirit. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no putting God in a box on this. Some are first baptized in the Spirit and THEN are water baptized. Others receive water baptism first and THEN are baptized in the Spirit.

The bible records both.

Cornelius and his household were first baptized in the Spirit.

We see the opposite order in Samaria...

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Reactions: Azim

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
JB_ said:
Given that it was at the infancy of the New Covenant Church and the body of believers were being gathered into Christ, extraordinary evidence was required, until fully established and settled.

But in this case they were the Baptist's disciples some 20 odd years before and therefore hadn't even heard of the Holy Spirit. :)
But they were believers who had yet to experience the baptism into the HolySpirit.
Episkopos said:
There is no putting God in a box on this. Some are first baptized in the Spirit and THEN are water baptized. Others receive water baptism first and THEN are baptized in the Spirit.

The bible records both.

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Very good point E, I agree.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
jiggyfly said:
But they were believers who had yet to experience receive the baptism into the HolySpirit.
And what?
Episkopos said:

The bible records both.

You ought not to be more careful in deriving doctrine from a historical account of the early church. Very little of Acts is doctrine.

Theodore A. Jones

Aug 15, 2011
JB_ said:
NO friend it's not true. GRACE + WORKS = NO GRACE. By grace are you saved and not by works lest any man boast. Such a belief is akin to RCC on baptism. i.e. without it you're not saved because by it you're. Such hogwash should be washed from your brains. Let the Word of God do that!

Are you baptised into Christ? Yes? Well at the moment of your spiritual conception(born again), if you indeed repented then you're.

If so, Go in peace and keep your eyes ONLY on the LORD JESUS CHRIST. :)
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 You have an incorrect understanding of what fact the word grace is referencing.
JB_ said:
And what?

You ought not to be more careful in deriving doctrine from a historical account of the early church. Very little of Acts is doctrine.
The Acts 2 message is doctrine.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been a lot of debate in another thread about the Holy Spirit. I found this old thread and it seems to be that this has been discussed before.