Relationship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Totally understand, one more look at it. We know a birthing comes by a seed, look at the seed of God, which is Christ according to scripture.
Yes, and forgiveness comes only through the shed blood. Would you say therefore the OT saints were not forgiven because Jesus had not yet shed His Blood? I believe the work of Jesus transcends time whether it is in cleansing of sin or rebirthing.
(I don't mean to be a stickler but want to look at both sides).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, and forgiveness comes only through the shed blood. Would you say therefore the OT saints were not forgiven because Jesus had not yet shed His Blood? I believe the work of Jesus transcends time whether it is in cleansing of sin or rebirthing.
There were all the sacrifices in the OT, which looked forward to the Cross. Hebrews gives a wonderful exposition of the relationship between the OT and the NT; in Christ and His work everything that was in Christ is now "better", a key word.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was all before Pentecost when the Holy Spirit did not indwell, unlike afterwards. In Psalm 51, David prays: 'And take not Thy Holy Spirit from me'; not a prayer that believers after Pentecost need to pray. What we do have in the Old Testament is believers who are justified by faith; Romans and Hebrews bring this out.
Perhaps David was giving His expression from the deepest recessess of a repentant heart rather than a theological truth?
Do you have any clear Scriptural evidence that the OT saints which were justified were not born again. I know we can draw deductive conclusions but there just seems to be straight forward missing passages on the matter.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were all the sacrifices in the OT, which looked forward to the Cross. Hebrews gives a wonderful exposition of the relationship between the OT and the NT; in Christ and His work everything that was in Christ is now "better", a key word.
I know but my point to Soul Man was that they were still forgiven and washed clean of a guilty conscience because the Sacrifice that was to happen was credited to their account through faith/repentance. Otherwise how did David know about a washed and cleansed conscience?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Perhaps David was giving His expression from the deepest recessess of a repentant heart rather than a theological truth?
Do you have any clear Scriptural evidence that the OT saints which were justified were not born again. I know we can draw deductive conclusions but there just seems to be straight forward missing passages on the matter.
Think of the Holy Spirit coming to dwell with believers at Pentecost, as the Lord Jesus said He would. The state of affairs in the OT was distinct.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My grandson who is fifteen said to me the other week, 'You're religious aren't you grandma.' so I tried to explain that being a Christian wasn't about religion but about a relationship with God through Jesus. He didn't 'get' it but one day I hope he will.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My grandson who is fifteen said to me the other week, 'You're religious aren't you grandma.' so I tried to explain that being a Christian wasn't about religion but about a relationship with God through Jesus. He didn't 'get' it but one day I hope he will.
I'm sure you keep praying for him; may he learn to read the Scriptures carefully.

Reactions: Pearl