Religous?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
I have read on here and really don't understand. When someone asks "are you religious" why would I say no? I know that I am a Christian but what really is the difference? How can I explain it to others?Donnie

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Gods Word has no religious denominations another Words God does not care if one is catholic or baptist, or whatever they call themselves, he does not even care if you attend a formal church of any kind. He only cares that you are a Christian that is belief in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord. So it depends on what they mean when they are asking. Being a Christian is a way of life is that a religion? perhaps. Im sure Islam would make the same claim that its a way of life and we would call that a religion so in that sense perhaps Christianity is a religion. So I guess you would have to ask them to be more specific what they mean. Anyone can be a Christian, but only a Catholic can be called a catholic, ect,ect, If you have no denomination your simply a Christian And one should always put being a Christian before any denomination... All denominations are formed by men for menGod doesn't need them.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(DONNIE;44109)
I have read on here and really don't understand. When someone asks "are you religious" why would I say no? I know that I am a Christian but what really is the difference? How can I explain it to others?Donnie
The way I had it explained to me when I was a new Christian was: 'religion is man trying to be God' and true Christianity is: 'man letting God be God.' Religion puts man made rules and regulation in place of God made rules and regulations. Religion says: 'you must do this, that and the other to be saved' and true Christianity says: 'God said to be saved all you need to do is believe in My Son and His sacrifice.' Hope this helps you. God bless.

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
'religion is man trying to be God' and true Christianity is: 'man letting God be God.' Thanks. I like that. We are walking in a new light and people will say things like "Oh, are you guys religous?" and I never really knew how to respond. Yes, seemed like the correct answer but had read on here somewhere that it wasn't. Thanks again! Donnie

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
A lot of people have told me that it isn't correct. I find that the more I know and grow with God the more right it is. The only other thing I would add to it is that religion focuses on what we can't do and true Christianity focuses on what we can do.

zozephin

Apr 4, 2008
True christianity is in our hearts..and all the people can see what the word Christian means:LOVE God,Jesus Christ,your fellow being ,yourself (it means many many things that i can't describe with words...only with feelings )) Take care((Sorry for my bad english it is not my first language )) thnks

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(zozephin;44192)
True christianity is in our hearts..and all the people can see what the word Christian means:LOVE God,Jesus Christ,your fellow being ,yourself (it means many many things that i can't describe with words...only with feelings )) Take care((Sorry for my bad english it is not my first language )) thnks
You have done well at expressing your feelings. I understood you fine. What you say is so true. True Christianity must be in our hearts and from our hearts it will show outwardly for all to see.

waynemlj

Feb 8, 2008
Hi Donnie,Yes, kriss makes a good distinction in her reply to you between church denomination and being a Christian.I would like to add my view that being a Christian is far more than having a religion. It is having a personal relatiomship with Jesus Christ who was sent to this earth to reconcile the Father to His chosen people and to reconcile His chosen people to Him. That means we are at peace with God . . . something that is totally impossible for anyone who is outside of belief in Christ, no matter what religion they belong to. John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' "To have peace with God is the beginning of the kingdom of heaven right here on earth, right now. Only through faith in Jesus Christ can a person have this PEACE!Thanks be and glory be to our God who has made us to be at peace with Him through Jesus Christ and by the will of the Father!The glory be to God alone!waynemlj

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Religion-relating or devoted to an ultimate reality or deity, religious beliefs, faithful fervent or zealous. There are a lot of religions out there but not all of them are devoted to the true deity. So when someone ask if I am religious I would probably say "If you mean I love Jesus with all my heart, and I want to be faithful to Him, then yes! I am religious." But I am not religious toward false teachings or false Gods. I believe most religions have gone so far away from what God intended His church to be. Religions today seem to divide God's people, therefore the church has lost some of the power that unity would bring. I do attend a local congregation with a denominational name, but I do not believe everything the same way some of the people do in my church. We are all on our own journey with God and we grow at different levels, but as a group we are encouraged, exhorted, prayed for etc. There is strength in number, and I draw strength to go back into this world after congregating with my fellow christians. I have drawn strength from a lot of the post I have read on this forum.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
There are a lot of "religious' people who are bound for hell because they have never called on the name of the Lord for forgiveness and cleansing. Being "religious" is not the important thing; being BORN AGAIN is. Jesus said, "You must be born again." He did not say, "You must be religious." The Pharisees were the religious leaders of their day, and Jesus called them hypocrites and even worse names.