Revisiting Pascal's Wager

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pascal's wager​

Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument presented by the seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist and theologian Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that human beings wager with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas if God does exist, he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (an eternity in Hell).[2]

Pascal's wager is old school theology from the 1600s.

Pascal says: better to have infinite and everlasting wealth in heaven, than short term, limited wealth on earth

The quotation: better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven. May have been created as a retort to Pascal's Wager.

Who got the better of the exchange?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pascal's wager​

Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument presented by the seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist and theologian Blaise Pascal (1623–1662).[1] It posits that human beings wager with their lives that God either exists or does not.

Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas if God does exist, he stands to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (an eternity in Hell).[2]

Pascal's wager is old school theology from the 1600s.

Pascal says: better to have infinite and everlasting wealth in heaven, than short term, limited wealth on earth

The quotation: better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven. May have been created as a retort to Pascal's Wager.

Who got the better of the exchange?
Hi Karen, I have never heard that before, but that is exactly how I feel maam. I am glad you posted it. I have served Jehovah for years, and over those years I have seen some amazing things, but in my honesty there is some doubt of His existence in me. I have always used the term time will tell on many things, as of now no one can literally prove He exists, yet to just refuse to live His ways, will result in being denied the reward. You nailed it as well on those things we would miss, but speaking from experience those things usually cause havoc in your life. I have lived Jehovah's ways for years now, and am the happiest I have ever been, and have asked other Christians that if they knew God didn't exist, would they change their lifestyle, every one said no that I asked. Most of us believe it is the best life available in this world.

There is all kind of evidence to at least suggest an extremely advanced individual did in fact exist, and has interacted with humans in the past. We believe it was God, as the Bible states, but of course only time will provide the actual proof.