Rewire Your Heart Day 4

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rewire Your Heart: 10 Days To Fight Sin • Devotional
https://bible.com/reading-plans/12779/day/4?segment=0

Scriptures:

"but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."
James 1:14‭-‬15 KJV

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."
James 4:8 KJV

Sin Doesn’t Come From Temptation

I grew up thinking temptation was where sin came from. On any given day, I would be going about my business and then temptation would spring to life: a pretty girl would walk by, a friend would launch into a dirty joke, a copy of next week’s test would fall into my hands. It was my duty, then and there, to fight temptation by saying no to it or fleeing from it altogether. Temptation was the enemy. Defeat meant sin.

But the problem is not temptation. The real problem is in the heart where our desires lie.

Temptation cannot exist where desire does not first exist. You cannot be tempted to do something you do not first want.

The Bible teaches that desire brings about temptation. “Each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully grown, brings forth death” (1:14–15). When does temptation occur? After the desires have enticed us. Temptations do not produce desires, but desires produce temptations.

Temptation cannot exist where desires do not exist. I cannot tempt you to eat concrete, if there is not already something desirous of consuming concrete within you. Since you know that eating concrete would be not only unpleasant but harmful to your body, the temptation would never succeed. In fact, calling it a temptation at all is a misnomer. You cannot call something a temptation that is not tempting in the slightest. For temptation to exist, desire must first exist.

All temptation can do is point out the opportunity to fulfill existing desires. Think about the familiar taunt offered by tempters, “You know you want it.” Temptation holds up the object of our desire and seeks to make it even more desirable.

Only when we focus on our internal desires instead of our external temptations will we be addressing sin at a deeper level. Only when we look at what we want, not just what we do, will we be getting nearer to where the battle for sin is truly taking place.

And how does change take place at this deeper level? How are the desires of our heart transformed? As we have seen throughout this study, the only way the heart can be changed is by the Gospel. Enjoy Jesus, and he will change your heart.

Only God can bring this change. So may we follow James’ words from later in his letter, “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you” (4:8).

My thought:

That part about looking at our inward desires, instead of our external temptations, is really good. I am grateful God can meet every desire of my heart. Proverbs 3:5-6 are one of my favorites.

Reactions: Azim and dev553344

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scriptures:

"but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

I grew up thinking temptation was where sin came from. On any given day, I would be going about my business and then temptation would spring to life: a pretty girl would walk by, a friend would launch into a dirty joke, a copy of next week’s test would fall into my hands. It was my duty, then and there, to fight temptation by saying no to it or fleeing from it altogether. Temptation was the enemy. Defeat meant sin.

But the problem is not temptation. The real problem is in the heart where our desires lie.

Temptation cannot exist where desire does not first exist. You cannot be tempted to do something you do not first want.

The Bible teaches that desire brings about temptation. “Each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully grown, brings forth death” (1:14–15). When does temptation occur? After the desires have enticed us. Temptations do not produce desires, but desires produce temptations.

Temptation cannot exist where desires do not exist. I cannot tempt you to eat concrete, if there is not already something desirous of consuming concrete within you. Since you know that eating concrete would be not only unpleasant but harmful to your body, the temptation would never succeed. In fact, calling it a temptation at all is a misnomer. You cannot call something a temptation that is not tempting in the slightest. For temptation to exist, desire must first exist.

All temptation can do is point out the opportunity to fulfill existing desires. Think about the familiar taunt offered by tempters, “You know you want it.” Temptation holds up the object of our desire and seeks to make it even more desirable.

Only when we focus on our internal desires instead of our external temptations will we be addressing sin at a deeper level. Only when we look at what we want, not just what we do, will we be getting nearer to where the battle for sin is truly taking place.

And how does change take place at this deeper level? How are the desires of our heart transformed? As we have seen throughout this study, the only way the heart can be changed is by the Gospel. Enjoy Jesus, and he will change your heart.

Only God can bring this change. So may we follow James’ words from later in his letter, “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you” (4:8).

My thought:

That part about looking at our inward desires, instead of our external temptations, is really good. I am grateful God can meet every desire of my heart. Proverbs 3:5-6 are one of my favorites.

I hope we're not going too fast, but I like this one. I've studied James, but this is the first time I've seen that passage from quite this perspective, and it strikes me as fairly sound reasoning.

Thanks for publishing these. That's the thing about Bible Studies; some can be only so so, but then you turn around and the next one will be something that you find pretty good. :)

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope we're not going too fast, but I like this one. I've studied James, but this is the first time I've seen that passage from quite this perspective, and it strikes me as fairly sound reasoning.

Thanks for publishing these. That's the thing about Bible Studies; some can be only so so, but then you turn around and the next one will be something that you find pretty good. :)

There are ten days in all. I can let these four sit awhile to catch up. I see the third one has hardly been seen yet. Just don't let me forget.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are ten days in all. I can let these four sit awhile to catch up. I see the third one has hardly been seen yet. Just don't let me forget.

Forget what?

(Little memory loss joke there)

e0b54a9dfabc6c8e577663e8f1b00d7a.jpg

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scriptures:

My thought:

Thanks @Mayflower! Although our views differ slightly on the effects of temptation, I learned something new from your post on desires. Very interesting and that seems like a key to hell and death that you've learned. That desires should be addressed to avoid unnecessary temptations.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @Mayflower! Although our views differ slightly on the effects of temptation, I learned something new from your post on desires. Very interesting and that seems like a key to hell and death that you've learned. That desires should be addressed to avoid unnecessary temptations.

What do you believe are the effects of temptation?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you believe are the effects of temptation?
I've personally witnessed Satan using physical powers to tempt, and he turns our thoughts towards evil, then pushes people. In the garden of Eden he used his subtle serpent voice. But he does have a loud voice. The tempter speaks death and hell whose fruit is death and hell. It may have nothing to do with desire or may also be desirous.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've personally witnessed Satan using physical powers to tempt, and he turns our thoughts towards evil, then pushes people. In the garden of Eden he used his subtle serpent voice. But he does have a loud voice. The tempter speaks death and hell whose fruit is death and hell. It may have nothing to do with desire or may also be desirous.

I see! I agree that Satan can tempt, but I do not believe he can turn our thinking to evil. That is our choice. That is the hardest temptation to fight and can only be fought by renewing our minds in the Word of God. When Jesus spoke to Satan in the wilderness, He used the Word of God to make him leave.

I like this promise:

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."
1 Corinthians 10:13 NASB1995

I believe there is always a way of escape for any sort of temptation.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see! I agree that Satan can tempt, but I do not believe he can turn our thinking to evil. That is our choice. That is the hardest temptation to fight and can only be fought by renewing our minds in the Word of God. When Jesus spoke to Satan in the wilderness, He used the Word of God to make him leave.

I like this promise:

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."
1 Corinthians 10:13 NASB1995

I believe there is always a way of escape for any sort of temptation.
I believe Satan's unholy spirit has anti-fruits. We know Gods fruits (Galatians 5:22-23). If God allows it Satan can hurt people like Job and Paul, etc, which is also a temptation to them.

Interesting. I think God can deliver some to be tempted more than they can bare. What do you make of this?:
Exodus 7:13-8:19

King James Version

13 And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Satan's unholy spirit has anti-fruits. We know Gods fruits (Galatians 5:22-23). If God allows it Satan can hurt people like Job and Paul, etc, which is also a temptation to them.

Interesting. I think God can deliver some to be tempted more than they can bare. What do you make of this?:
Exodus 7:13-8:19

King James Version

13 And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.

I would just point out that pharaoh was not someone who believed in the God of the Jews. He was an unbeliever and he went against God multiple times before God hardened his heart. I kinda learned the concept of heart hardening while learning about TULIP a long time ago. I have not really studied the passage since college to dive into a theological teaching, and not sure of the teaching now, it was a college ministry years ago, so I can only offer speculation. (Lack of knowledge or rejection of it is another way God's people perish. It is overwhelming to know what is important in the "grey" areas).

But I understand we do not have hearts of stone, for God has poured His spirit into us. He will not harden the hearts of His people. Paul may have opened many doors to the enemy, but his heart was never hardened. Job only opened one, fear.

But yeh, I do not think that God "allows" Satan to hurt us. We have to open a door first.

I see what you mean where we differ. I love the comment about the antifruits. I agree with that for sure.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would just point out that pharaoh was not someone who believed in the God of the Jews. He was an unbeliever and he went against God multiple times before God hardened his heart. I kinda learned the concept of heart hardening while learning about TULIP a long time ago. I have not really studied the passage since college to dive into a theological teaching, and not sure of the teaching now, it was a college ministry years ago, so I can only offer speculation. (Lack of knowledge or rejection of it is another way God's people perish. It is overwhelming to know what is important in the "grey" areas).

But I understand we do not have hearts of stone, for God has poured His spirit into us. He will not harden the hearts of His people. Paul may have opened many doors to the enemy, but his heart was never hardened. Job only opened one, fear.

But yeh, I do not think that God "allows" Satan to hurt us. We have to open a door first.

I see what you mean where we differ. I love the comment about the antifruits. I agree with that for sure.

Yes we disagree somewhat, like I don't think we have to open a door to get hurt by Satan, God tests people this way especially those that love him, and for me that would be an unfair judgment to say that "you brought Satan's abuse on yourself" to those that love God. For me that might offend God so I won't go there.

But I see we agree on some aspects, thanks for your time here :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we disagree somewhat, like I don't think we have to open a door to get hurt by Satan, God tests people this way especially those that love him, and for me that would be an unfair judgment to say that "you brought Satan's abuse on yourself" to those that love God. For me that might offend God so I won't go there.

But I see we agree on some aspects, thanks for your time here :)

It would not be too cruel a judgement to me, because we are under the blood of the lamb. We are all going to fall short. It is more confusing to me to think God would allow Satan to abuse me when He calls me His daughter now under Jesus Christ. I would go after anyone who tried to hurt my daughter. My son and daughter will be tested, but I am not going to say "Go ahead and abuse my daughter so she can be blessed ten times." No, my kids are going to get themselves in predicaments and I will be there for them.

God's ways are not my ways, but this is what I think about.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would not be too cruel a judgement to me, because we are under the blood of the lamb. We are all going to fall short. It is more confusing to me to think God would allow Satan to abuse me when He calls me His daughter now under Jesus Christ. I would go after anyone who tried to hurt my daughter. My son and daughter will be tested, but I am not going to say "Go ahead and abuse my daughter so she can be blessed ten times." No, my kids are going to get themselves in predicaments and I will be there for them.

God's ways are not my ways, but this is what I think about.

So when Paul had the thorn in his flesh as a messenger of Satan unless he would be too greatly exalted, how would you explain that? Just curious.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when Paul had the thorn in his flesh as a messenger of Satan unless he would be too greatly exalted, how would you explain that? Just curious.

Off the top of my head, I'd say enemy oppression. I am sure Paul had a lot of guilt when he was Saul and a lot of time to think about it. Antifruit is no peace of mind. No joy. Spirit of depression.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edited that just a little when you liked it. More thoughts. Haha.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off the top of my head, I'd say enemy oppression. I am sure Paul had a lot of guilt when he was Saul and a lot of time to think about it. Antifruit is no peace of mind. No joy.
I take it as literal flesh and think he was smote by Satan in some physical way, thus the term, thorns in the flesh. I've heard other people think differently also. OK.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edited that just a little when you liked it. More thoughts. Haha.

Oh you mean my post? Yeah you caught me trying to add after you got to it, sorry. I'm still kinda figuring this topic out somewhat so I edit a little, again sorry for the confusion.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take it as literal flesh and think he was smote by Satan in some physical way, thus the term, thorns in the flesh. I've heard other people think differently also. OK.

Oh yeh, that could be. I believe Satan can oppress. Just that God is not allowing it to happen to test us.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh you mean my post? Yeah you caught me trying to add after you got to it, sorry. I'm still kinda figuring this topic out somewhat so I edit a little, again sorry for the confusion.

Oh no it was me. I added spirit of depression after you quoted it. LOL. I have to type fast with toddlers, because my daughter is sticking martian stickers all over me. LOL.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is side discussion, but interesting topic into the origin of temptation... What Satan can actually do. More discussion then Bible, but I learn best that way through question and answer. Let God bring scripture to mind...