Romans 10:9 — How christians shall be saved.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Many people who imagine that they are christians, often use Romans 10:9-10 to somehow convince themselves that there is no gospel to obey. All they need to do (according to them) is to say a sinner's prayer, or simply believe only, which makes them saved. These people who pervert the epistles of Paul, are those of whom Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ said:

"...Even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."
— (2 Peter 3:15-16).

What these people never seem to understand is that the epistle to the Romans is not written to sinners. It is written by Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle:

"...To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints..."
— (Romans 1:7).

Now, The tenth chapter of this epistle talks about the difference between the righteousness which is of the law, and the righteousness which is of faith.

"...Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them."
— (Romans 10:5).

This is the righteousness which is of the law. As it is written in the law:

"For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it."
— (Deuteronomy 30:11-14).

But what saith the righteousness which is of faith? Thus:

"...Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above: ) or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
— (Romans 10:6-10).

This is what christians (the saints and the beloved of God) must do to be saved! They must confess with their mouths the Lord Jesus and believe in their hearts that God hath raised him from the dead. As Jesus Christ himself said, that whosoever:

"...Shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
— (Matthew 10:32-33).

What will christians be saved from if they do this? The wrath of God. As it is written:

"Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we SHALL BE saved from wrath through him."
— (Romans 5:9).

But why must christians confess with their mouths the Lord Jesus before men? Well:

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"
— (Romans 10:14-15).

There is no such thing as a silent christian. It is also written in the prophets:

"When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul."
— (Ezekiel 3:18-19).

Faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."
— (James 2:26).

Flesh and blood cannot reveal these things to you. Seek God.

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All they need to do (according to them) is to say a sinner's prayer, or simply believe only, which makes them saved.
Precious friend, so when I simply 'believed' The Gospel Of Grace, In The Death ( God's
ALL-Sufficient
BLOOD/Finished Work ), Burial, and Resurrection, According To The Scriptures
(1 Corinthians 15:3-4),

IF salvation is not "at the moment" of simple faith/belief/trust in The LORD Jesus Christ
(Acts 16:31), and the aforementioned Gospel Of Grace, and I am not saved by
"Grace Through faith" (Ephesians 2:5-9), Then:

pray tell when Does God Perform all of these 6-Dozen Plain And Clear Scriptures?

God's OPERATION On All HIS New-born babes In CHRIST
+
I believe I gave you this before, but in case you missed it, or I am in error?:

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Simplicity In Christ (Grace Through faith ), God Makes me Saved, and then obedience
"presenting my body a living sacrifice," (Rom 12:1-2), loving neighbor, good works, etc.
and:

Rom_8:29 "For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed
to the image of His SON, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren."

Amen.

Reactions: rwb

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If
Precious friend, so when I simply 'believed' The Gospel Of Grace, In The Death ( God's
ALL-Sufficient

IF salvation is not "at the moment" of simple faith/belief/trust in The LORD Jesus Christ
"Grace Through faith" (Ephesians 2:5-9), Then:

pray tell when Does God Perform all of these 6-Dozen Plain And Clear Scriptures?

God's OPERATION On All HIS New-born babes In CHRIST
+
I believe I gave you this before, but in case you missed it, or I am in error?:

I have decided to follow Jesus?

Simplicity In Christ (Grace Through faith ), God Makes me Saved, and then obedience
"presenting my body a living sacrifice," (Rom 12:1-2), loving neighbor, good works, etc.
and:

Rom_8:29 "For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed
to the image of His SON, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren."

Amen.
May I ask, do you hold to the T.U.L.I.P. of Calvinism?
No offense intended.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people who imagine that they are christians, often use Romans 10:9-10 to somehow convince themselves that there is no gospel to obey. All they need to do (according to them) is to say a sinner's prayer, or simply believe only, which makes them saved. These people who pervert the epistles of Paul, are those of whom Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ said:

"...Even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."

What these people never seem to understand is that the epistle to the Romans is not written to sinners. It is written by Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle:

Now, The tenth chapter of this epistle talks about the difference between the righteousness which is of the law, and the righteousness which is of faith.

"...Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them."

"For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it."

"...Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above: ) or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

This is what christians (the saints and the beloved of God) must do to be saved! They must confess with their mouths the Lord Jesus and believe in their hearts that God hath raised him from the dead. As Jesus Christ himself said, that whosoever:

"...Shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

What will christians be saved from if they do this? The wrath of God. As it is written:

"Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we SHALL BE saved from wrath through him."

But why must christians confess with their mouths the Lord Jesus before men? Well:

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"

There is no such thing as a silent christian. It is also written in the prophets:

"When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul."

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Mat 7:21-23 is a great salvation scripture in addition to the ones you posted sir, good post I might add.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10:16 - But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?”

We obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4)

Reactions: rwb and marks

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people who imagine that they are onfesess use Romans 10:9-10 to somehow convince themselves that there is no gospel to obey. All they need to do (according to them) is to say a sinner's prayer, or simply believe only, which makes them saved. These people who pervert the epistles of Paul, are those of whom Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ said:

You are correct regarding Romans 10:9. Confession is only one of the elements required for salvation. The conversion of the Ethiopian eunuch in acts 8 confirms that Confession of belief is required. But also, in conjunction with his belief and confession of it, he needed to be baptized. The subject of baptism was obviously a part of Philip's preaching to him. So you have three elements required for salvation in that one scriptural example. The only other element is found in Acts 2:38 where you'll find that repentance is also necessary.
1. Belief/faith
2. Confession of belief
3. Repentance
4. Immersion in water (baptism)

Doing the above will save your soul

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I ask, do you hold to the T.U.L.I.P. of Calvinism?
No offense intended.
None taken, as I have a Very Difficult time with '-isms," so I stay away from "biting and devouring"
arguments about calvin-, armenian-, religion-, denominational-, theologin- etc. '-isms' and just stay
strictly with God's Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided.

Tulips are beautiful flowers that God created, right?

Amen.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None taken, as I have a Very Difficult time with '-isms," so I stay away from "biting and devouring"
arguments about calvin-, armenian-, religion-, denominational-, theologin- etc. '-isms' and just stay
strictly with God's Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided.

Tulips are beautiful flowers that God created, right?

Amen.
Than you.
Yes tulips are are very beautiful flower but I prefer the Rose of Sharon !
Much love in the non-divisive faith of Christ!

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
@GRACE ambassador
ALL-Sufficient
My friend, the fact that you "only believed" the gospel of the grace of God means nothing.

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."
— (James 2:19).

Even devils believe in one God. They know who the Lord Jesus Christ is:

"Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? Art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God."
— (Mark 1:24).

Understand therefore that you will utterly perish if you refuse to OBEY (not just believe only) the gospel of the grace of God. Because:

"...The Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, IN FLAMING FIRE TAKING VENGEANCE on them that know not God, and THAT OBEY NOT THE GOSPEL OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power..."
— (2 Thessalonians 1:7-9).

Furthermore, my friend. Please understand, and with all due respect, that you cannot take the first epistle to the Corinthians and apply it to yourself as if it is addressed to you, when you have not obeyed the gospel of the grace of God. Because the epistle is not written to sinners. It is written by Paul:

"...Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours..."
— (1 Corinthians 1:2).

And how were the corinthians sanctified in Christ Jesus by calling on the name of the Lord? They were sanctified when:

"...Many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized."
— (Acts 18:8).

They believed and were baptized. They believed and obeyed the gospel. As Jesus Christ said to his apostles:

"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."
— (Mark 16:15-16).

This is the gospel of the grace of God. That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures, and that we can have repentance and remission of sins if we are baptized calling on the name of the Lord, and receive the Holy Ghost. This is the baptism of the new testament. It is only one baptism. It is of WATER and of the SPIRIT. As it is written:

"...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL THAT ARE AFAR OFF, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."
— (Acts 2:38-39).

And again:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
— (Acts 4:12).

And again:

"...Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
— (Romans 10:13).

This is how the corinthians, and all christians since the day of pentecost were sanctified in Christ Jesus. And if you have not obeyed the same gospel as them, then you are not a christian. No matter how much you "only believe" the gospel. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. Therefore, my confused friend:

"And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be BAPTIZED, AND WASH AWAY THY SINS, CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD."
— (Acts 22:16).

"Grace Through faith" (Ephesians 2:5-9), Then
Again, sir. You have erred, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. I have written a post here concerning people who imagine that they are christians by perverting Ephesians 2:8-9 here.

Nevertheless, I will explain it here as well. Similar to the first epistle to the Corinthians, the epistle to the Ephesians is not written to those that are:

"...Dead in trespasses and sins..."
— (Ephesians 2:1).

It is written, like the first epistle to the corinthians, by Paul:

"...To the SAINTS which are at Ephesus, and to the FAITHFUL in Christ Jesus..."
— (Ephesians 1:1).

Sidenote: It's quite ironic how people instantly jump to the verses they like without searching the scriptures. Which indicates to those who are born again by that incorruptible seed (which is the word of God) that they have been deceived by ministers of satan. As Peter said:

"...Even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable WREST, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own DESTRUCTION."

For if they had searched the scriptures, then they would have known that this epistle is written to christians by the FIRST VERSE OF THE EPISTLE. But I digress. How did the Ephesians become saints? We don't have to wonder! There is a historical account in the book of Acts where Paul preaches the gospel to them; and they believed it:

"And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to EPHESUS: and finding certain disciples, he said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were BAPTIZED IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, THE HOLY GHOST CAME ON THEM; AND THEY SPAKE WITH TONGUES, AND PROPHESIED."
— (Acts 19:1-6).

This, my friend, is how the Ephesians (and all christians) are, by the grace of God, saved THROUGH FAITH; and THAT not of themselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. Even their faith which they had to believe the gospel was not of themselves. Because:

"...Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
— (Romans 10:17).

My friend, it is God who:

"...Hath dealt to EVERY man the measure of faith."
— (Romans 12:3).

Where is boasting then, sir?

"...It is excluded. By what law? Of works? Nay: but by the law of FAITH."
— (Romans 3:27).

Therefore, my friend. I would counsel you to:

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
— (2 Timothy 2:15).

For if you had known how to rightly divide the word of truth, then you would have not wrested the scripture as you have done here; and that publickly.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my friend. I would counsel you to:

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
— (2 Timothy 2:15).
Thanks, appreciate it - have been doing so for 33 years now, ever since God sent us our totally blind angel, for a wonderful daughter. And we departed from Confused denominational - ism, and all other -isms. Amen?

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Thanks, appreciate it - have been doing so for 33 years now, ever since God sent us our totally blind angel, for a wonderful daughter. And we departed from Confused denominational - ism, and all other -isms. Amen?

View attachment 33842
Well hath the scripture testified of you, sir:

"A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself."
— (Proverbs 18:2).

And as Jesus Christ, the Son of God said unto you children of disobedience:

"Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."
— (John 8:43-44).

Thy blood be upon thine own head; I am clean.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"There is Only ONE ( Spiritual ) Baptism" (Ephesians 4:5), Under Grace, that saves; not water!
Amen! There is only one baptism that places us into the body of Christ and saves and that is SPIRIT baptism, not water baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 - one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Confessing with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in our heart that God raised Him from the dead are not two separate steps to salvation but are chronologically together. Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (TOGETHER) that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, (notice the reverse order from verse 9-10) - that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Confess/believe; believe/confess.

1 Corinthians 12:3 - Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except BY the Holy Spirit. There is divine influence or direct operation of the Holy Spirit in the heart of a person when confessing Jesus as Lord. This confession is not just a simple acknowledgment that Jesus is the Lord (even the demons believe that), but is a deep, personal conviction from the heart that Jesus is that person's Lord and Savior.