Sabbath or no Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Arnie Manitoba said:
Let me guess what is going on here
1. You make one post , you are new here
2. You ask a short question , in this case about the sabbath
3. We give our answers
4. You disagree with our answers
5. Then you proceed to copy and paste your endless arguments
6. That is what I think .

Because:
7. You have been booted from all the other forums
8. Or you did not win your arguments elsewhere
9. Or you are looking for fresh meat to butcher
10. That is what I think

Now I will answer your sabbath question
1. I observe Saturday Sabbath
2. And I observe Sunday Sabbath
3. I love the two days of rest
4. And it saves a lot of arguing with people like you.
5. Notice I didn't quote one single scripture
6. Because it is not necessary

I look forward to your response
And to see if my prediction is correct
I can smell you guys a mile away

Thank you
Best wishes
Arnie M.
I mean no disrespect, please do not be offended. You said that you observe them both.

1 Kings 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

Believe it or not, the time will come when you will have to choose which one you will keep. And yes, it will matter. It is a blatant commandment of God, vs a commandment the Roman Catholic Church claims is their mark of authority. That's the main issue. Will you keep the commandments of God, or will you keep a false sabbath? I hope you choose the former :)

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
What ever happened to "love is the fulfillment of the law? We love our neighbors and the 4th commandment is fulfilled? Apparently so.

As I shared in a previous post (35), we are keeping the sabbath by resting from our works. This is the new covenant. Many sabbath keepers make it merely about which day one goes to church, calling us "Sunday worshipers".. However, the 4th commandment is not about worship, it is about rest. The reality is that we who are resting in His work are in the sabbath rest. The new covenant is the fulfillment of the sabbath rest. The 4th commandment was a shadow of a future reality.

We can rest, and worship, every day of the week. Who is going to hinder the worship of God on any given day? Limit it to just one day? Really?

The works of law do not bring life (Gal.3:21). Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to they who believe (Rom.10:4). The law was instituted to confine all under sin until the seed should come. This includes the 4th commandment. Please refer to my reply #35, which goes into detail on this.

Whatever purpose or motive one has for worshiping God on the 7th day (or resting, as it were), it cannot include the justification for life, or for anything else for that matter. All things that come to us from God are freely given (Rom.8:32)...by faith.

Those of us who sincerely believe we are in fulfillment of the sabbath rest, have no fear of judgment from God. Our heart condemns us not. respectfully!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I keep in mind what the Apostles decreed in regards to what Gentile believers in Messiah Jesus are to do.

Acts 15:23-29:

The apostles and elders, your brothers,

To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:

Greetings.

We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.

Farewell.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Raeneske said:
I mean no disrespect, please do not be offended. You said that you observe them both.

1 Kings 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

Believe it or not, the time will come when you will have to choose which one you will keep. And yes, it will matter. It is a blatant commandment of God, vs a commandment the Roman Catholic Church claims is their mark of authority. That's the main issue. Will you keep the commandments of God, or will you keep a false sabbath? I hope you choose the former :)
You seem to enjoy the thought that a lot of people are following Baal because they have the incorrect Sabbath day.

But mostly you want to proclaim that you have it exactly right . Right ??

And dont worry , I am not offended ..... and the reason I say I observe both Saturday and Sunday as Sabbath is because it drives some people bonkers when they cannot pin me down as being all wrong.

Figured I had that issue solved until you told me I follow Baal on one day and God on the other.

The Sabbath disputers are ever so creative .

The last thread on this subject went on forever and a day without resolution

We need to take a sabbatical on the sabbath argument.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
Dodo_David said:
My question is this:

Given the hypothetical scenario that Gentiles are supposed to obey the commandments given in the Torah, why shouldn't Gentiles be required to obey all 600+ commandments in the Torah?

When asked what commandments that the Jews were to obey, Jesus didn't just name the commandments listed in the Decalogue. He also named a commandment outside of the Decalogue. When asked to name the greatest commandment, Jesus cited two commandments that are outside of the Decalogue.
The topic of this post is about the observance of the Sabbath and the person who started the post asked us to give scriptural support. What does 600+ commandments in the Torah have to due with the topic of this post? Do all 600+ have to do with the Sabbath?

You have failed to answer questions from my previous posts that were on topic......silly rabbit..... :p

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
tom55 said:
The topic of this post is about the observance of the Sabbath and the person who started the post asked us to give scriptural support. What does 600+ commandments in the Torah have to due with the topic of this post? Do all 600+ have to do with the Sabbath?

You have failed to answer questions from my previous posts that were on topic......silly rabbit..... :p
"He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." (Colossians 2:13-16)

There's the scripture, (i.e. not just "support").

Now try your best to refute this with scripture. I.e. without going "beyond what is written".

iWrecknSow said:
Yeah
We gentiles are to take hold of the covenants givin to Israel
I take it you are talking about gentiles who have converted to judaism?

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
williemac said:
What ever happened to "love is the fulfillment of the law? We love our neighbors and the 4th commandment is fulfilled? Apparently so.

As I shared in a previous post (35), we are keeping the sabbath by resting from our works. This is the new covenant. Many sabbath keepers make it merely about which day one goes to church, calling us "Sunday worshipers".. However, the 4th commandment is not about worship, it is about rest. The reality is that we who are resting in His work are in the sabbath rest. The new covenant is the fulfillment of the sabbath rest. The 4th commandment was a shadow of a future reality.

We can rest, and worship, every day of the week. Who is going to hinder the worship of God on any given day? Limit it to just one day? Really?

The works of law do not bring life (Gal.3:21). Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to they who believe (Rom.10:4). The law was instituted to confine all under sin until the seed should come. This includes the 4th commandment. Please refer to my reply #35, which goes into detail on this.

Whatever purpose or motive one has for worshiping God on the 7th day (or resting, as it were), it cannot include the justification for life, or for anything else for that matter. All things that come to us from God are freely given (Rom.8:32)...by faith.

Those of us who sincerely believe we are in fulfillment of the sabbath rest, have no fear of judgment from God. Our heart condemns us not. respectfully!
The seventh day Sabbath cannot be a shadow. Maybe there is a pattern that follows after the Sabbath, which is the 6000 years of sin on this planet, and the 1000 years of rest. But that is like God to have patterns. He did the same thing with the Israelites, with giving the land rest every 7th year.

Leviticus 25:3-6 Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; 4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard. 5 That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land. 6 And the sabbath of the land shall be meat for you; for thee, and for thy servant, and for thy maid, and for thy hired servant, and for thy stranger that sojourneth with thee,

If anything, this is more evidence that we should still keep the seventh day Sabbath. The 6 work 1 rest pattern that God is a pattern to be remembered about creation. It is the reminder that your Creator is God, and when He finished creating Adam upon the sixth day, He rested upon the seventh day with Adam. It has ever been a memorial, to rest with the Creator upon the seventh day. In this sinsick world, there can be no denial that we need to remember the Creator and keep His Sabbath. Doing away with the Sabbath rest has lead men to go a step further and declare God's moral law in not in effect.

It's a little piece of heaven, to rest upon the seventh day of the week, free from all worldly labour and toil. A day to rest, worship, pray, and lose your mind in God. This cannot happen everyday upon this planet. You have a job you must keep, you have a family you must take care of.

I do not deny that you can rest and worship upon any day of the week. What I deny, is that you can break the Sabbath, and yet claim you are keeping it. It makes as much sense as claiming to love your neighbour, but you still hate them in your heart, or steal their things, etc. It's untrue that one loves their neighbour as they continue to live in blatant sin.

The works of the law do not save us. We keep the law because we are saved, because we are Christians. We are saved, we are called to live a holy life, and bear witness of Christ's power. We keep the Sabbath because we are saved, and because Christ is our Creator. He is Lord of the Sabbath. All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made. It is Christ who rested upon the seventh day, and set it apart for holy use. It is the day to come back in complete contact with Him. To rest at the end of the week, and be refreshed and prepared for the rest of the week.

Not a single verse in the old or new testament warrants a change, or allows us to separate from keeping the seventh day Sabbath. And never will one be found.

Those who sincerely believe they are doing all that God wants them to do, and are doing their best are okay. But the time will come, maybe soon, when the Sabbath truth will be driven home to the conscience by the Spirit of God. And then they will have to make their choice. Will they obey the commandment if they KNOW they should, or will they keep the commandments of men.

That's how plain this last test will be. The laws of the land will demand that we rest on their own day. It will be plain, mankind will put himself against an explicit commandment of God. It will go plainly against the Word of God. And this is what warrants God's wrath, to those who disobey.
Arnie Manitoba said:
You seem to enjoy the thought that a lot of people are following Baal because they have the incorrect Sabbath day.

But mostly you want to proclaim that you have it exactly right . Right ??

And dont worry , I am not offended ..... and the reason I say I observe both Saturday and Sunday as Sabbath is because it drives some people bonkers when they cannot pin me down as being all wrong.

Figured I had that issue solved until you told me I follow Baal on one day and God on the other.

The Sabbath disputers are ever so creative .

The last thread on this subject went on forever and a day without resolution

We need to take a sabbatical on the sabbath argument.
"You seem to enjoy the thought that a lot of people are following Baal because they have the incorrect Sabbath day." - Those who are keeping a Sabbath they know is not warranted by the Creator are following Baal. I do not claim enjoyment knowing someone is living in blatant sin. Those who are ignorant that they are keeping a false Sabbath will repent and follow what the Creator told them to do.

It's not about me. It's about the Bible. What does the Bible say?

Well, unfortunately the time will come when you cannot keep both. You will have to choose between one or the other. You cannot have both the seal of God and the mark of the beast. You will have to choose one. It can be double-mindedness that leads one to keep both days. I do not know the heart, that's why I said can. It could be an honest fear of which day to keep.

What does Exodus 20:8-11 say? See that thou do it.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
UppsalaDragby said:
"He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." (Colossians 2:13-16)

There's the scripture, (i.e. not just "support").

Now try your best to refute this with scripture. I.e. without going "beyond what is written".
UppsalaDragby

Not sure what you are trying to say here but I will attempt to decipher. Since the word Sabbath is mentioned in Colossians that answers the question put forth in the original post by Gracealone which is that: Gracealone finds the NT gives scriptural support for its observance....what is your position...give scriptural support? How does your quote from Colossions answer the original question?

I am not sure what you mean by "Now try your best to refute this with scripture...without going beyond what is written". I wasn't trying to "refute" anything but maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to say? :(

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008
COL. 2 [16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an HOLYDAY, or of the NEW MOON, or of the SABBATH DAYS:

The scripture above is the scripture used by all the sunday go to meetin pulpiteers to distance themselves from Gods sabbath day. Its also their biggy to eat their piggy. There are many places in your bible which discuss the meat and the drink offerings of the holy days, new moons and the sabbath days which explain what Col.2 is speaking about. Let scripture interpret scripture.

EZEKIEL 45 [17] And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and MEAT offerings, and DRINK offerings, in the FEASTS, and in the NEW MOONS, and in the SABBATHS, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Heres one. Same exact order as Col.2{16}, meat, drink, holy days (feast days), new moons, sabbaths. No doubt what so ever these 2 scriptures are speaking of the same thing. Do you believe that Ezek.45 is telling the old testament folks they no longer need keep Gods sabbath day or that its alright to go out and eat their piggys? Aint no way. Its simply speaking of the meat and drink offerings which were written in the law contained within the ordinances which were to take place on Gods holy days, new moons and His sabbath days.

HEBREWS 13 [9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be ESTABLISHED WITH GRACE; NOT WITH MEATS, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. [10] We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. [11] For THE BODIES OF THOSE BEASTS, WHOSE BLOOD is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. [12] WHEREFORE JESUS ALSO, THAT HE MIGHT SANCTIFY THE PEOPLE WITH HIS OWN BLOOD, suffered without the gate.

We are no longer under the law of Moses concerning the meat and drink offerings of Gods holy days, new moons and the sabbaths. Jesus fulfilled the law. We are now under grace.

JOHN 6 [53] Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. [54] Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. [55] For MY FLESH IS MEAT INDEED, and MY BLOOD IS DRINK INDEED.

When we let scripture interpret scripture its very clear what Col.2 is speaking about. The meat and drink offerings of those days are no longer to be kept.

COL.2 [14] Blotting out THE HANDWRITING OF ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.[16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:[17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Jesus blotted out “only” the handwriting of the ordinances.

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] And the statutes, AND the ordinances, AND the law, AND the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

The “many” have come in the name of Christ and would have you to believe the law, the ordinances and the commandments are all lumped together as one. They do this so they can point out a scripture which talking about the law of circumcision (which was nailed to the cross) and then apply that scripture to the ten commandments. But as you can see in above scripture, the ordinances, the law, and the commandments are all separate. And it was not the law nor the ten commandments that Jesus nailed to the cross. It was the law contained in the ordinances.

EXODUS 12 [11] And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is THE LORD'S PASSOVER. [12] For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord. [13] And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. [14] And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it A FEAST BY AN ORDINANCE FOR EVER.

Theres one of the feast days (holy days) which are to be kept by ordinance. The Lords passover

NUMBERS 28 [16] And in the fourteenth day of the first month is THE PASSOVER OF THE LORD. [17] And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten. [18] In the first day shall be an holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work therein: [19] But ye shall offer a sacrifice made by fire for a burnt offering unto the Lord; two young bullocks, and one ram, and seven lambs of the first year: they shall be unto you without blemish: [20] And their MEAT OFFERING shall be of flour mingled with oil: three tenth deals shall ye offer for a bullock, and two tenth deals for a ram; [21] A several tenth deal shalt thou offer for every lamb, throughout the seven lambs: [22] And one goat for a sin offering, to make an atonement for you. [23] Ye shall offer these beside the burnt offering in the morning, which is for a continual burnt offering. [24] After this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt offering, and his DRINK OFFERING.

Here we see the Lords passover and the meat and drink offering which are in the handwriting of that ordinance

HEBREWS 9 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary...... [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

COL.2 [14] BLOTTING OUT THE HANDWRITING OF ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.[16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:[17] WHICH ARE A SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME; but the body is of Christ.

The handwriting of ORDINANCES {meat and drink offerings} has been blotted out. They were the shadow of things to come

HEBREWS 9 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

The first covenant had ORDINANCES which stood only in meat and drink offerings

EZEKIEL 46 [14] And thou shalt prepare a meat offering for it every morning, the sixth part of an ephah, and the third part of an hin of oil, to temper with the fine flour; a MEAT OFFERING continually by a perpetual ORDINANCE unto the LORD.

there ya go. Hebrews 9 was ofcourse correct

HEBREWS 10 [1] For THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with THOSE SACRIFICES WHICH THEY OFFERED YEAR BY YEAR continually make the comers thereunto perfect.[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.[3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.[4] For IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.

Hebrews 10 says it all. The shadow of the law was the offerings (the meat and drink offerings).

NUMBERS 19 [2] This is the ORDINANCE OF THE LAW which the Lord hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:

Before Christ the red heifers lived their lives in fear and trembling, thinking they might be next offering. No worries no more.

JOHN 6 [55] For my flesh is MEAT indeed, and my blood is DRINK indeed.

So the bottom line is there is no need for the meat and drink offerings {the shadow}. However there is need to keep all His sabbaths {weekly and feastly}, new moons and feast days.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
iWrecknSow said:
COL. 2 [16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an HOLYDAY, or of the NEW MOON, or of the SABBATH DAYS:

The scripture above is the scripture used by all the sunday go to meetin pulpiteers to distance themselves from Gods sabbath day. Its also their biggy to eat their piggy. There are many places in your bible which discuss the meat and the drink offerings of the holy days, new moons and the sabbath days which explain what Col.2 is speaking about. Let scripture interpret scripture.

EZEKIEL 45 [17] And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and MEAT offerings, and DRINK offerings, in the FEASTS, and in the NEW MOONS, and in the SABBATHS, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

Heres one. Same exact order as Col.2{16}, meat, drink, holy days (feast days), new moons, sabbaths. No doubt what so ever these 2 scriptures are speaking of the same thing. Do you believe that Ezek.45 is telling the old testament folks they no longer need keep Gods sabbath day or that its alright to go out and eat their piggys? Aint no way. Its simply speaking of the meat and drink offerings which were written in the law contained within the ordinances which were to take place on Gods holy days, new moons and His sabbath days.

HEBREWS 13 [9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be ESTABLISHED WITH GRACE; NOT WITH MEATS, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. [10] We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. [11] For THE BODIES OF THOSE BEASTS, WHOSE BLOOD is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. [12] WHEREFORE JESUS ALSO, THAT HE MIGHT SANCTIFY THE PEOPLE WITH HIS OWN BLOOD, suffered without the gate.

We are no longer under the law of Moses concerning the meat and drink offerings of Gods holy days, new moons and the sabbaths. Jesus fulfilled the law. We are now under grace.

JOHN 6 [53] Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. [54] Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. [55] For MY FLESH IS MEAT INDEED, and MY BLOOD IS DRINK INDEED.

When we let scripture interpret scripture its very clear what Col.2 is speaking about. The meat and drink offerings of those days are no longer to be kept.

COL.2 [14] Blotting out THE HANDWRITING OF ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.[16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:[17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Jesus blotted out “only” the handwriting of the ordinances.

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] And the statutes, AND the ordinances, AND the law, AND the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

The “many” have come in the name of Christ and would have you to believe the law, the ordinances and the commandments are all lumped together as one. They do this so they can point out a scripture which talking about the law of circumcision (which was nailed to the cross) and then apply that scripture to the ten commandments. But as you can see in above scripture, the ordinances, the law, and the commandments are all separate. And it was not the law nor the ten commandments that Jesus nailed to the cross. It was the law contained in the ordinances.

EXODUS 12 [11] And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is THE LORD'S PASSOVER. [12] For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord. [13] And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt. [14] And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the Lord throughout your generations; ye shall keep it A FEAST BY AN ORDINANCE FOR EVER.

Theres one of the feast days (holy days) which are to be kept by ordinance. The Lords passover

NUMBERS 28 [16] And in the fourteenth day of the first month is THE PASSOVER OF THE LORD. [17] And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten. [18] In the first day shall be an holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of servile work therein: [19] But ye shall offer a sacrifice made by fire for a burnt offering unto the Lord; two young bullocks, and one ram, and seven lambs of the first year: they shall be unto you without blemish: [20] And their MEAT OFFERING shall be of flour mingled with oil: three tenth deals shall ye offer for a bullock, and two tenth deals for a ram; [21] A several tenth deal shalt thou offer for every lamb, throughout the seven lambs: [22] And one goat for a sin offering, to make an atonement for you. [23] Ye shall offer these beside the burnt offering in the morning, which is for a continual burnt offering. [24] After this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt offering, and his DRINK OFFERING.

Here we see the Lords passover and the meat and drink offering which are in the handwriting of that ordinance

HEBREWS 9 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary...... [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

COL.2 [14] BLOTTING OUT THE HANDWRITING OF ORDINANCES that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.[16] Let no man therefore judge you in MEAT, or in DRINK, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:[17] WHICH ARE A SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME; but the body is of Christ.

The handwriting of ORDINANCES {meat and drink offerings} has been blotted out. They were the shadow of things to come

HEBREWS 9 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

The first covenant had ORDINANCES which stood only in meat and drink offerings

EZEKIEL 46 [14] And thou shalt prepare a meat offering for it every morning, the sixth part of an ephah, and the third part of an hin of oil, to temper with the fine flour; a MEAT OFFERING continually by a perpetual ORDINANCE unto the LORD.

there ya go. Hebrews 9 was ofcourse correct

HEBREWS 10 [1] For THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with THOSE SACRIFICES WHICH THEY OFFERED YEAR BY YEAR continually make the comers thereunto perfect.[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.[3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.[4] For IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.

Hebrews 10 says it all. The shadow of the law was the offerings (the meat and drink offerings).

NUMBERS 19 [2] This is the ORDINANCE OF THE LAW which the Lord hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:

Before Christ the red heifers lived their lives in fear and trembling, thinking they might be next offering. No worries no more.

JOHN 6 [55] For my flesh is MEAT indeed, and my blood is DRINK indeed.

So the bottom line is there is no need for the meat and drink offerings {the shadow}. However there is need to keep all His sabbaths {weekly and feastly}, new moons and feast days.

WOW! That's a long-winded way to circumvent scripture, but we are not dealing with an obscure verse here that needs "interpreting". The verse is very clear - the sabbath is a shadow. the reality is in Christ. If there is anything in that huge post of yours that tells us that it isn't then please point it out... without all the meat and vegetables.

So let's deal with this in manageable pieces. Is the observance of the sabbath a shadow or not?

tom55 said:
UppsalaDragby

Not sure what you are trying to say here but I will attempt to decipher. Since the word Sabbath is mentioned in Colossians that answers the question put forth in the original post by Gracealone which is that: Gracealone finds the NT gives scriptural support for its observance....what is your position...give scriptural support? How does your quote from Colossions answer the original question?

I am not sure what you mean by "Now try your best to refute this with scripture...without going beyond what is written". I wasn't trying to "refute" anything but maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to say? :(
Well what exactly is meant by "observance of the sabbath"? If it is the old conventant legalistic setting aside of a 24-hour day during which no work is to be done then what scriptural support is there in the NT? (Let me give you a hint - there is NONE whatsoever.)

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008

Col.2{16} is used by all sunday mornin denominations so as to rid themselves of Gods sabbath day and His holy days. Its also used to go against Gods laws concerning eating unclean things such as the portly porker. Can their doctrines be found in the scriptures by looking at the followers of the RISEN Christ?

ACTS 18 [20] When they desired him to tarry longer time with them, he consented not; [21] But bade them farewell, saying, I MUST BY ALL MEANS KEEP THIS FEAST THAT COMETH IN JERUSALEM: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

Not here. Here we find Paul keeping one of the feast days in Jersalem long after Christ had been crucified

1 COR. 5 [6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? [7] Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: [8] THEREFORE LET US KEEP THE FEAST, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

This also is after Christ had risen. They were still keeping the Feast of unleavened bread but not as they did before. Before Christ there was to be no leven in the house. After Christ was crucified the laws contained in the ordinances were nailed to the cross. So have yourself a peanut butter and jelly.

ACTS 17 [2] AND PAUL, AS HIS MANNER WAS, went in unto them, and three SABBATH DAYS reasoned with them out of the scriptures,[3] Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Not here either. Paul as his manner was... still keeping the sabbath

ACTS 10 [11] And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: [12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. [13] And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. [14] BUT PETER SAID, NOT SO, LORD; FOR I HAVE NEVER EATEN ANY THING THAT IS COMMON OR UNCLEAN.

Once again, not here either. Peter refused to eat the unclean thing even after the risen Christ.

ACTS 10 [28] And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but GOD HATH SHEWED ME THAT I SHOULD NOT CALL ANY MAN COMMON OR UNCLEAN.

Verse 28 explains the great sheet. No man is now unclean

JOEL 1 [13] Gird yourselves, and lament, ye priests: howl, ye ministers of the altar: come, lie all night in sackcloth, ye ministers of my God: for THE MEAT OFFERING AND THE DRINK OFFERING IS WITHHOLDEN FROM THE HOUSE OF YOUR GOD. [14] Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the Lord your God, and cry unto the Lord, [15] Alas for the day! for the day of the Lord is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.

Don’t look good for some, come the Day of the Lord

NUMBERS 18 [8] And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, BY AN ORDINANCE for ever.[9] This shall be thine of the most holy things, reserved from the fire: EVERY OBLATION of theirs, EVERY MEAT OFFERING of theirs, and EVERY SIN OFFERING of theirs, and every trespass offering of theirs, which they shall render unto me, shall be most holy for thee and for thy sons.

Above scripture confirms that the offerings are also called oblations

ISAIAH 1 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

Bring no more vain oblations in the new moons and the sabbath and feast days. WHY? Because Jesus nailed these offerings (oblations) to the cross. The sabbath, the new moons, and holydays (feastdays) were not nailed to the cross nor were the 10 commandments.

HEBREWS 10 [7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. [8] Above when he said, SACRIFICE AND OFFERING AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERING FOR SIN THOU WOULDEST NOT, NEITHER HADST PLEASURE THEREIN; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW; [9] Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. HE TAKETH AWAY THE FIRST, THAT HE MAY ESTABLISH THE SECOND. [10] By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. [11] And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: [12] But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Hebrews 10 explains exactly what Isaiah 1 was speaking about.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
iWrecknSow said:

Col.2{16} is used by all sunday mornin denominations so as to rid themselves of Gods sabbath day and His holy days. Its also used to go against Gods laws concerning eating unclean things such as the portly porker. Can their doctrines be found in the scriptures by looking at the followers of the RISEN Christ?

ACTS 18 [20] When they desired him to tarry longer time with them, he consented not; [21] But bade them farewell, saying, I MUST BY ALL MEANS KEEP THIS FEAST THAT COMETH IN JERUSALEM: but I will return again unto you, if God will. And he sailed from Ephesus.

Not here. Here we find Paul keeping one of the feast days in Jersalem long after Christ had been crucified

1 COR. 5 [6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? [7] Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: [8] THEREFORE LET US KEEP THE FEAST, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

This also is after Christ had risen. They were still keeping the Feast of unleavened bread but not as they did before. Before Christ there was to be no leven in the house. After Christ was crucified the laws contained in the ordinances were nailed to the cross. So have yourself a peanut butter and jelly.

ACTS 17 [2] AND PAUL, AS HIS MANNER WAS, went in unto them, and three SABBATH DAYS reasoned with them out of the scriptures,[3] Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Not here either. Paul as his manner was... still keeping the sabbath

ACTS 10 [11] And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: [12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. [13] And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. [14] BUT PETER SAID, NOT SO, LORD; FOR I HAVE NEVER EATEN ANY THING THAT IS COMMON OR UNCLEAN.

Once again, not here either. Peter refused to eat the unclean thing even after the risen Christ.

ACTS 10 [28] And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but GOD HATH SHEWED ME THAT I SHOULD NOT CALL ANY MAN COMMON OR UNCLEAN.

Verse 28 explains the great sheet. No man is now unclean

JOEL 1 [13] Gird yourselves, and lament, ye priests: howl, ye ministers of the altar: come, lie all night in sackcloth, ye ministers of my God: for THE MEAT OFFERING AND THE DRINK OFFERING IS WITHHOLDEN FROM THE HOUSE OF YOUR GOD. [14] Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the Lord your God, and cry unto the Lord, [15] Alas for the day! for the day of the Lord is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.

Don’t look good for some, come the Day of the Lord

NUMBERS 18 [8] And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, BY AN ORDINANCE for ever.[9] This shall be thine of the most holy things, reserved from the fire: EVERY OBLATION of theirs, EVERY MEAT OFFERING of theirs, and EVERY SIN OFFERING of theirs, and every trespass offering of theirs, which they shall render unto me, shall be most holy for thee and for thy sons.

Above scripture confirms that the offerings are also called oblations

ISAIAH 1 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

Bring no more vain oblations in the new moons and the sabbath and feast days. WHY? Because Jesus nailed these offerings (oblations) to the cross. The sabbath, the new moons, and holydays (feastdays) were not nailed to the cross nor were the 10 commandments.

HEBREWS 10 [7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. [8] Above when he said, SACRIFICE AND OFFERING AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERING FOR SIN THOU WOULDEST NOT, NEITHER HADST PLEASURE THEREIN; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW; [9] Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. HE TAKETH AWAY THE FIRST, THAT HE MAY ESTABLISH THE SECOND. [10] By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. [11] And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: [12] But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Hebrews 10 explains exactly what Isaiah 1 was speaking about.
Lots and lots of scriptures again, but unfortuntately for you none of them prove the point you are trying to make.

Firstly, you should NEVER make conclusions based on an historical account and use those scriptures to nullify clear doctrine. Why? Because you just might be making the wrong conclusions. Clear doctrine is much more reliable. The book of Acts for example is a "work in progress" and there were a lot of issues to deal with along the way, such as the transition from the old covenant to the new, which caused a lot of problems that were not all sorted out.

Secondly, the apostle Paul "became LIKE a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became LIKE one under the law (though I myself am not under the law)". What Paul did in the synagoges on the sabbath was teach!

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008
LUKE 3 [16] John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:[17] Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but THE CHAFF HE WILL BURN WITH FIRE UNQUENCHABLE.

MATTHEW 3 [11] I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: HE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH THE HOLY GHOST, and with fire:[12] Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; BUT HE WILL BURN UP THE CHAFF WITH UNQUENCHABLE FIRE.

So who are the chaff? The people that Jesus will burn up

LUKE 4 [34] Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; THE HOLY ONE of God.

ACTS 2 [25] For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:[26] Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:[27] Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer THINE HOLY ONE to see corruption.

Jesus surely is the Holy One

ISAIAH 5 [24] Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and THE FLAME CONSUMETH THE CHAFF, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: BECAUSE THEY HAVE CAST AWAY THE LAW OF THE LORD OF HOSTS, and despised the word of THE HOLY ONE of Israel.

Theres the people Jesus {the Holy One} will burn. Those who believe they can cast away His law.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
iWrecknSow said:
Theres the people Jesus {the Holy One} will burn. Those who believe they can cast away His law.
Exactly, the Law of Christ:

"And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." 1 John 3:23

Now, are there any Adventists out there who can show one single verse that actually shows us that the old covenant law applies to Christians?

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008
Well im not a Adventist but yeah......The covenants were givin to Israel

EPHES. 2 [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being IN TIME PAST GENTILES in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF PROMISE, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

And it was for Israel only. Was. We were once strangers from Gods covenants of promise, having no hope. BUT NOW in Christ, should we take hold of those covenants, we have hope

ISAIAH 56 [6] Also the sons of THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one THAT KEEPETH THE SABBATH from polluting it, and TAKETH HOLD OF MY COVENANT; [7] EVEN THEM WILL I BRING TO MY HOLY MOUNTAIN, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for ALL PEOPLE.

Even them (us gentile strangers mentioned in Ephes.2) will He bring to His holy mountain, if we should take hold of His sabbath covenant. Jesus will bring us to the 1000yr period of rest

EXODUS 31 [16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the SABBATH, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a PERPETUAL COVENANT.

The above scripture was one of those covenants spoken of in Ephes.2

ROMANS 1 [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, [31] without understanding, COVENANTBREAKERS, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: [32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

And you can see who Paul lumps in with the covenantbreakers. Not good company

1 JOHN 3 [23] And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. [24] And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Your tryin to tell me we need not keep Gods 10 commandments because we are givin new testament commandments that we are now to follow. In 1John3 we find one of those new testament commandments. It tells us we are to love one another. Does the new testament tell us how we are to love one another?

1JOHN 5 [2] By this WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD, THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous.

2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER.[6] And THIS IS LOVE, THAT WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

JAMES 2 [8] If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF, ye do well: [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, said also, DO NOT KILL. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

ROMANS 13 [8] Owe no man any thing, but to LOVE ONE ANOTHER: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.[9] For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, THOU SHALT NOT STEAL, Thou shalt not bear false witness, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.[10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

I decided to show the scripture of James 2 and Romans 13 which explain to us how we are to show our love for one another because im sure ill hear next that it is not the 10 commandments being mentioned. But as you can see in these scriptures, adultry killing, stealing, bearing false witness, covetness are mentioned. And i suppose i will hear you say that since the “keeping of the sabbath” is not mentioned or “thou shalt have no other gods before me" is not mentioned these commandments can be ignored. YIKES

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
iWrecknSow said:
We were once strangers from Gods covenants of promise, having no hope. BUT NOW in Christ, should we take hold of those covenants, we have hope
Small problem there my friend. The Mosaic covenant was not a covenant of "promise". The promises preceded the mosaic conventant. God promised Abraham that through obedience to him he would become the father of many nations. He also promised the Israelites that he would free them from slavery in Egypt and take them to the land he had promised through his servant Joshua.

The Mosaic covenant was not the result of a promise, but was given to the Jews when they rebelled against the gospel. That is why the 10 commandments were not given to Abraham, but came 430 years later during the rebellion. It is also why God swore an oath that they would never "enter his rest". It is why that promise of rest "remains" for those who believe.

If that "rest" was the 4th commandment then why did Paul suggest that Joshua was the one to give them rest, rather than Moses? Did the Israelites enter the promised land once a week?

And why does he, right smack in the middle of Hebrews 4, when talking about the 7th day say:

"And YET, God's work has been finished since the creation of the world."

How can something that is finished since creation be a 24 hour day?

He then goes on to say:

"Anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, JUST AS GOD DID FROM HIS".

Did God, according to this verse, just rest for a day?

Now why do you think the Holy Spirit inspired Moses to delimit each and every one of the creation days with "evening" and "morning" EXCEPT for the 7th day?

Faith is the true sabbath rest. It was based on a promise, not a law. The curse of the law was the punishment that the people got for rebelling against faith. We have been set free from that law by obeying the gospel.

1JOHN 5 [2] By this WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD, THAT WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous.

2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER.[6] And THIS IS LOVE, THAT WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
You forgot about 1 John 3:23:

And THIS is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

I decided to show the scripture of James 2 and Romans 13 which explain to us how we are to show our love for one another because im sure ill hear next that it is not the 10 commandments being mentioned. But as you can see in these scriptures, adultry killing, stealing, bearing false witness, covetness are mentioned. And i suppose i will hear you say that since the “keeping of the sabbath” is not mentioned or “thou shalt have no other gods before me" is not mentioned these commandments can be ignored. YIKES
Well, the problem is that the sabbath IS mentioned - in Collosians 2:16,17.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
UppsalaDragby said:
Exactly, the Law of Christ:

"And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." 1 John 3:23

Now, are there any Adventists out there who can show one single verse that actually shows us that the old covenant law applies to Christians?
I am not an SDA if that's what you're referring to, but I'd like to point out some things.

When you saw Old Covenant law, are you speaking of the meat, drink, holydays, new moons, and sabbath days? If so, we don't have to do that.

Colossians 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

So there, we have no requirement to do those things. But it is a mistake to believe that means we don't have to obey the 10 commandments. The 10 commandments are eternal, and we find them established throughout the New Covenant. The ten commandments are even found in heaven:

Revelation 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

A study will show that the ark of his testament only has it's name because it holds the tables of the testament/covenant/testimony. Did you know the 10 commandments are called the ten words or the ten utterances? And do you know what God has to say about those utterances?

Psalms 89:34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

The law of Christ requires one to keep the ten commandments. Christ kept the ten commandments. Perfectly. It is the transcript of the character of God. And remember that all things were made by Jesus, and without Him was not anything made that was made. It was Christ who rested upon the seventh day in Genesis. So if we are really following the law of Christ, we will mimic what Christ did. This includes setting the seventh day apart for holy use. If anything, following Christ makes us more obligated to keep the seventh day Sabbath. Remember He is Lord of the Sabbath. And the LORD rested upon the seventh day, blessed and sanctified that day.

iWrecknSow

Oct 26, 2008
UppsalaDragby says
He then goes on to say:

"Anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, JUST AS GOD DID FROM HIS".

Did God, according to this verse, just rest for a day?

The bible says

HEBREWS 4 [10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Well...Ya see what it says. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works

Yup. God rested the 7th day. Pretty simple
Sure wish I knew how to use the quote thingy

And the multi-quote thingy