Saint Benedict monks

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

slipstream

Feb 12, 2008
Could you tell me why the St Benedict order of Monks has different branches. Their are Benedictine, Cisterion, Trappist and other I think. What is the difference between the different orders.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I guess us Christians have to be threatening to atheists that they have to keep bothering us. As for me, I'm a true American and believe in the right of religion, free choice, and free thought, which I guess makes me opposite of the critics.As for Homosexuality, I find that the scriptures teach very plainly against it. But if some people supposedly don't believe them, then why does it bother them anyway? There must be a subconscious guilt and bondage they live in and they have to convince themselves it's right, sort of like convincing oneself that they don't have terminal cancer. But the cancer patient still dies.Sorry. That's how it is. I'm a realist. I can't live in a world of subjective delusion.

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
Poor Tat. Must be miserable not having any friends and have to resort to posting on a message board that he has no interest in. We should pray for him.Donnie

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Tat;37995)
Right."I can't live in a world of delusion".Thats uh, interesting. Considering thats what i think to myself.See, when i imagine living in a world of delusion i imagine people beleiving that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves us!
Well, what if it's real? (Although you severely misrepresent what you learned about Chruistianity which shows your ignorance) It take more faith to be an atheist because of the contradictions that arise.Go off and learn some things about true Christianity first, then come back so you know what you are talking about enough to debate. You are judging us wrongly and live in your own little subjective, misinformed world.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(slipstream;37978)
Could you tell me why the St Benedict order of Monks has different branches. Their are Benedictine, Cisterion, Trappist and other I think. What is the difference between the different orders.
I was not raised Catholic, and although I studied some church history, was a long time ago. I'm not as strong on church history as the Bible itself, however, Wikipedia has an interesting article on them, and at the bottom has the different orders hyperlinks to look up.Order_of_Saint_Benedict

slipstream

Feb 12, 2008
Thanks Tim, We had a TV program on in the UK a couple of years ago where 5 people who did not believe in god went to live in a monastery for a few weeks to see how how the Monks lived and how it was relevant in this day and age. It had with quiet interesting results. Ever since than I have found the Rule of Saint Benedict an interesting subject.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(slipstream;37978)
I think what happens is that after many years an order can become lax and in need of reform to take it back to the founders original spirituality, or they want to vary the original structures, rules and way of life so they start a new foundation.I know Trappists live in silence mainly whereas this would not be true of Benedictines. The Cistercians use the rule of St. Benedict but I don't know what the difference is.You will find this has happened to most orders such as Franciscans and Carmelites. I think the only order that has not had to reform itself are the Carthusians. Their regime is very strict, almost total solitude and silence.

kentots

Feb 20, 2008
For tat, that is old testament where works were how you had to do things (no one can do that). God sent Christ, so that not through works, but rather through Christ we will be saved. If you live under the law you will be judged by the law, if you live under Christ you will be saved by your faith in Christ. See thats simple, no hell, fire, and brimstone there. Last comment to add though, that does not mean that you are free not to do what God commands, you should do what God commands out of love of God and Christ. To sum up what you should do is, love others as Christ has loved you, and love God and Christ.