Salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Salvation is also by ...
Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness
Believers stay righteous through their obedience
Believers faith must endure until the end of their lives
Believers keep salvation by repenting of their sins
Believers were chosen and called to live holy lives
Believers must love, forgive, not judge or condemn
Believers must be victorious overcomers
One full page of Scripture verses is available for almost every one of these topics.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That can be misunderstood into the concept that we are constantly being made better and never reach the plateau of entire sanctification, however; instead of the reality that we become entirely sanctified and then the Lord keeps us there through continual cleansing.
How are you defining "sanctification" for this?

For my view: we all have human weaknesses. Take for example, "Bob" who habitually lies, because he's are afraid what other people will think. Lying is a sin, but when Bob accepts Christ all of his previous sins are washed away. But Bob still struggles with this weakness, and sometimes slips and lies to avoid looking bad. Assuming Bob is repentant, (in my belief) he's again washed clean. So once again that previous sin is washed away. But more than that, Christ is also going to help humble disciple Bob overcome this weakness of his-- it'll take time and work, but Christ is there to help Bob grow strong and no longer be tempted this way.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through faith we are the righteousness of the Lord in Christ.

Our identity is that we are righteous in Him, regardless of whether we blow it (Romans 4:5).

I believe that when we begin to understand that our true identity is that we are righteous in him, we will begin to live practically in such a manner (1 John 3:7).

I would bring up Philippians 3:12-16 in answer to your question.

I believe that when we are born again, we receive the perfect love of the Lord in our hearts (Romans 5:5) and are thus made perfect (Hebrews 10:14). However, we may not know everything there is to know about what God desires of us in the way of holiness and righteousness. We grow in the practical outworking of that love and may at some point reach a plateau. In the meantime, we have the perfect, infinite love of God dwelling in our hearts (Ephesians 3:19) and in every area that we know is a point where God desires obedience, we have the desire to obey.

The flesh sometimes gets in the way (Romans 7:14-25). However, we can gain the victory over the flesh (Romans 8:12, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Jude 1:24, Titus 2:14, 2 Peter 1:10, 1 John 2:10, Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, etc.).

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through faith we are the righteousness of the Lord in Christ.

Our identity is that we are righteous in Him, regardless of whether we blow it (Romans 4:5).

I believe that when we begin to understand that our true identity is that we are righteous in him, we will begin to live practically in such a manner (1 John 3:7).

I would bring up Philippians 3:12-16 in answer to your question.

I believe that when we are born again, we receive the perfect love of the Lord in our hearts (Romans 5:5) and are thus made perfect (Hebrews 10:14). However, we may not know everything there is to know about what God desires of us in the way of holiness and righteousness. We grow in the practical outworking of that love and may at some point reach a plateau. In the meantime, we have the perfect, infinite love of God dwelling in our hearts (Ephesians 3:19) and in every area that we know is a point where God desires obedience, we have the desire to obey.

The flesh sometimes gets in the way (Romans 7:14-25). However, we can gain the victory over the flesh (Romans 8:12, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Jude 1:24, Titus 2:14, 2 Peter 1:10, 1 John 2:10, Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, etc.).
Agreed with everything you said here. I was just pointing out that the flesh is week and doesn't always go Superman strong overnight.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does it have anything to do with the way that cancer is put into remission?
No. Let's just stick to Bible terminology. The modern versions have departed from many of these terms and created spiritual confusion.

And that repentance and remission* of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (Luke 24:47).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
*STRONGS NT 859: ἄφεσις (aphesis)
2. ἄφεσις ἁμαρτιῶν forgiveness, pardon, of sins (properly, the letting them go, as if they had not been committed (see at length Trench, § xxxiii.)), remission of their penalty: Matthew 26:28; Mark 1:4; Luke 1:77;Luke 3:3; Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; Acts 5:31; Acts 10:43;Acts 13:38; Acts 26:18; Colossians 1:14;...

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I disagree with you there, @Enoch111.

I personally believe that remission of sins means that they are depleted so that they are no longer a danger to the soul, as is the case with cancer going into remission.

D

Dave L

Such scriptures as Romans 5:9 w/ Romans 5:1, Romans 3:25, Hebrews 9:22, Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29, and 1 John 1:7 all speak of the fact that salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

It both justifies and sanctifies (cleanses us from all sin).

A question: When appropriated (applied to one's life), can it do one without also doing the other?
I think we count Jesus' blood an unholy thing when we say it lacks saving power and needs us to make up the difference. The truth is, Christ's blood fully atoned and justified us so that we could have faith and repent.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we count Jesus' blood an unholy thing when we say it lacks saving power and needs us to make up the difference. The truth is, Christ's blood fully atoned and justified us so that we could have faith and repent.
Actually, it sanctified us if and when it justified us.

I am still of the opinion that we have faith and repent and that the result is that we become fully atoned and justified.

Repentance is our change of mind about sin. God cannot (or will not) sanctify(/justify) us without our giving Him permission to do the work. We must turn from our sin in order for Him to cleanse us from our sin; because otherwise we would simply go back to sinning after being sanctified because we have free will. If we do not have free will before salvation, then we have it at the very least after...John 8:32.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Actually, it sanctified us if and when it justified us.

I am still of the opinion that we have faith and repent and that the result is that we become fully atoned and justified.

Repentance is our change of mind about sin. God cannot (or will not) sanctify(/justify) us without our giving Him permission to do the work. We must turn from our sin in order for Him to cleanse us from our sin; because otherwise we would simply go back to sinning after being sanctified because we have free will. If we do not have free will before salvation, then we have it at the very least after...John 8:32.
We cannot repent from being flesh unless we have a spiritual option found in the new birth.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:6 (kjv), Colossians 2:11 (kjv); Ephesians 5:30-32 (kjv), 1 John 3:5; Romans 8:23, Galatians 4:5-7, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (kjv); 1 John 3:9 (kjv), Hebrews 10:14, Titus 2:14, Jude 1:24 (kjv), 2 Peter 1:10 (kjv), 1 John 2:10, etc.

Last edited: