Salvation Not Possible Without Works

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
No; I am interested that you are an apparently serious Bible student, who really takes the Bible seriously!
The rout you are taking is similar to my own; and always when we are sincere leads to progressive revelation from the Holy Spirit!
For now; we disagree, but we keep prayerfully studying!
Floyd.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Ernest T. Bass said:
I also understand that the bble speaks of many different types of works: works of God, works of Satan, works of righteousness, works of unrighteousness, works of the flesh, works of merit, good works, evil works etc, and all these works are NOT THE SAME. So when the bible says "not of works" it is NOT excluding ALL these works.

I also understand the idea that just because one does a work, that work does not automatically, necessarily mean he is trying to earn something. I understand that free gifts can and do come with conditions and meeting those conditions does NOT earn the free gift already offered up front.
Since you acknowledge the importance of clarifying the subject of works, then I suggest you consider the reason given that it is not of works. Paul said not of works...." lest anyone should boast". As well, part and parcel of that passage is the phrase "not of ourselves". If you have this so called open slate, then these things should at least catch your attention for meditation, prayer, consideration. Therefore when you mention other kinds of works or obedience, the same rules of thumb must apply, since it they are the basis for why God gives life freely rather than having us merit it.

I guess my point is that rather than placing all the emphasis on works or not, it might help to also focus on the criteria involved, which is that we are not being placed under a requirement whereby we can have a platform for boasting that we received anything that came from "of ourselves".

Add this to the equation and see if you still comply or not. The conditions of receiving the gift are that we do not merit the gift, and we must humbly submit to that fact. God gives grace to the humble. That is the primary condition.

Furthermore, since you seem so sincere about openness, and that you insist that there is more than one kind of works, why do you seem so closed to the concept that there might be more than one kind of baptism?

We can see in scripture that there are two types of sanctification. The one type that is spiritual and eternal is that which is done in us and to us by God (Heb.2:11). The other type which is physical is that which we do ourselves to be useful to God in this life (2Tim.2:21).

But only one type of baptism? Not according to Heb.6:2, where the word is plural. There are "types" of baptisms. In 1Cor.10:1,2, Paul speaks of their fathers who were under the cloud and passed through the sea, and in vs.2, he states "all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea". And in 1Cor.12:13, he states that we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body...all having been made to drink into one Spirit. This is what was referred to in Luke 3:16, John makes this incredible statement: " ...I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire".

So, my friend, if you are so adamant about baptism being exclusively about water, then I should think that you would also want to find some fire somewhere and get yourself dunked in it. Don't worry. The water should put it out. Of course that was sarcasm :rolleyes:.

However, the point is well made, I think, that the gift of he Holy Spirit is a "type" of baptism. In fact, in Acts we can find examples of people who were given the Holy Spirit and tongues prior to an apart from water baptism. Therefore if it was a requirement to receive the gift, then it could not come after the gift is given. Keep in mind that the Holy Spirit is given as a guarantee of our inheritance. How can one be guaranteed of something before the requirement is met?

No, I really don't think you have been as open as you say you are.