Saved, which means what?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good verses to quote, of much assurance to the believer.
if you cant have assurance then what do we have? nothing ..... we have insurance through assurance . we been made partakers through what Christ done for us on the cross

Reactions: farouk

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hmmm....go if you give in to the temptation to steal, commit adultry etc. you will, by the grace of God, still be saved?

Curious Mary
I am not of the camp that believes once you become a follower of Christ and receive the gift of eternal life you never need to be forgiven for anything again, and it is a fact of life that Christians do get tempted and fall into sin, like King David of old. It surely happens, but God is merciful to forgive and He does restore the sinner . Have you read "Where Eagles Soar" by Jamie Buckingham? The difference between the redeemed and the reprobate is that the former is convicted of their sin by the Holy Spirit and are willing to be led to repentance by the goodness of God, whereas the latter are not the least bit perturbed and their consciences are seared so that they are impervious to the Holy Spirit's urgings to repent.

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, you which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering yourself, lest you also be tempted.
Jas 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Psa 37:23-24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delights in his way. (24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Psa 37:28 For the LORD loves judgment, and forsakes not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.

1Jn 1:5-10 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: (7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin. (8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
1Jn 2:1-6 My little children, these things write I unto you, that you sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: (2) And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (4) He that says, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (5) But whoso keeps his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. (6) He that says he abides in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Reactions: amadeus

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not of the camp that believes once you become a follower of Christ and receive the gift of eternal life you never need to be forgiven for anything again, and it is a fact of life that Christians do get tempted and fall into sin, like King David of old. It surely happens, but God is merciful to forgive and He does restore the sinner . Have you read "Where Eagles Soar" by Jamie Buckingham? The difference between the redeemed and the reprobate is that the former is convicted of their sin by the Holy Spirit and are willing to be led to repentance by the goodness of God, whereas the latter are not the least bit perturbed and their consciences are seared so that they are impervious to the Holy Spirit's urgings to repent.
this is the key to our walk with Christ

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hmmm....go if you give in to the temptation to steal, commit adultry etc. you will, by the grace of God, still be saved?
If the Christian give in to the temptation to steal, commit adultery etc., he sins. When the Christian sins, is he saved no longer? Consider this passage:

1 Cor.5: It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Consider further the following:

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

If one is among those called according to God's purpose, he is predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. Now, we know that those called do still at times give in to temptation and so sins. But having been predestined as mentioned in v.29, how could they cease to be saved each time they sin? What then? They will be chastised by God, as He conforms them to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Consider the following:

Hebrews 12:5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons:

“My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 If you endure chastening,
God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons.

Tong
R1074

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you can yes you can does that mean its ok or a thumbs up to do such things? NO the key word is repent 1 john 1:9
I agree, we need to repent. Sooooo it is not grace that saved us. It is the action of a work, the ACT of repentance, that saves us.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, we need to repent. Sooooo it is not grace that saved us. It is the action of a work, the ACT of repentance, that saves us.
Indeed, when we have looked back to Sodom or we have returned to eat of our own vomit, we need to turn around again!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace is the finished work of repentance. grace gives us the ability to repent other wise we would be automatic burnt toast the first time we sinned . then there is mercy asking for grace tHAT WE MIGHT GET MERCY Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. repentance never saved any one that is something we do. Grace belongs to God and Christ

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
And the Christian who sinned, how does he come to repentance? As I have pointed out in my post #252, if he is indeed truly a child of God, certainly he will be chastised by God, and that unto repentance, else he is manifested to be illegitimate and not a true son. So, it is not so much that the sinning christian goes to repent as his remedy for the sin he committed, but that, God will definitely bring him to repentance. All this sinning and repenting is not now about how one attains to his salvation or to save himself or how to get himself saved, but is really about the sanctification of the saved (the child of God) which is the unfolding fulfillment of his having been predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Tong
R1075

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Christian who sinned, how does he come to repentance? As I have pointed out in my post #252, if he is indeed truly a child of God, certainly he will be chastised by God, and that unto repentance, else he is manifested to be illegitimate and not a true son. So, it is not so much that the sinning christian goes to repent as his remedy for the sin he committed, but that, God will definitely bring him to repentance. All this sinning and repenting is not now about how one attains to his salvation or to save himself or how to get himself saved, but is really about the sanctification of the saved (the child of God) which is the unfolding fulfillment of his having been predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Tong
R1075
Hi tong,

Forced repentance? Is that what you are saying?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King David committed adultery and murder.

Was He saved ? yes or no
Hi Christophany,

I don’t like playing the game of answering a question with a question. So I will try again: If you give into the temptation to steal, commit adultry etc. you will, by the grace of God, still be saved?

Patient Mary

PS: what does Christophany mean?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you give into the temptation to steal, commit adultry etc. you will, by the grace of God, still be saved?
YES the key is repentance 1 Corinthians 6
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

you are making statements that are not Bible

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Christophany,

I don’t like playing the game of answering a question with a question. So I will try again: If you give into the temptation to steal, commit adultry etc. you will, by the grace of God, still be saved?

Patient Mary

PS: what does Christophany mean?
Since King David committed the acts of murder and adultery and He was saved then the answer is YES.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hi tong,

Forced repentance? Is that what you are saying?

Curious Mary
No, not forced. He is brought to repentance by the working of God in his heart, either through his chastisement by God and/or by the conviction by the Holy Spirit.

Genuine repentance is not a forced thing.

Tong
R1076